pvt. partz

Terrain creator

Just starting to get my prerequisites in order and doing a LOT of reading.

I am making my sat image.png Using software called Ultimate Maps Downloader , I have acquired my Google Earth data, but I have downloaded it in 5 different formats and added the file size for viewing (see below).

This is only about a fifth of the island in question so as you can see, the file vary greatly in size. Ultimate Maps Downloader seems to have a limit so I am forced to download the whole island into 5 sections and then stitch them. This brings up another problem. Panoramic assembly also has size limits on any software I have been able to find.

1) Google Satellite_1.JPG =            42.1 MB

2) Google Satellite_2.PNG =       547MB MB

3) Google Satellite_3.GIF =             42.1 MB

4) Google Satellite_4.BMP =             1.7G

5) Google Satellite_5 TIFF =             454MB

My questions are:, Which type of file is best suited for building maps, and I would also like to know why?

Those of you who are experienced, can you suggest methods for downloading and stitching, that I may not be aware of?

I have seen some terrains in a partially made state and notice that they have terrain background of the satellite image in the Editor as well as in game. How is this done and was this done with the islands Stratis and Altis?

Lastly, if anyone is interested in offering there expertise when ever I need help either by PM or even more personally, Email, I would be so grateful. This project is already a bit overwhelming, and waiting for answers can be agonizingly slow.

Thanks so far!

I use .bmp as it imports quicker than .png. I use TerraIncognita to download the sat map, export as a oziExplorer map and it saves it as .jpg I think. But what I do is import the .map files it makes as well, into global mapper and it lines up perfect with my heightmap. Then it's just a case of exporting heightmap, satmap and roads all from that to save loads of hassle.

Also here is the Terrain Builder forum

https://forums.bistudio.com/forum/164-arma-3-terrain-builder/

youtube tutorial

Another great tutorial is the atlas guide, which is what I used and lots of google lol

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28048