Sign in to follow this  
meaty

Eaiser/Quicker way to view re-textures?

Is there an easier/quicker way to view re-textures other than compiling the mod, adding it to arma3, loading arma3, going into VA or the editor ?? Something like a model viewer that will load a class name and display that model? Its a major pain having to load arma3 each and every time when your doing a vehicle rexture and find you need to move a camo line 5 pixels to the left for it to line up correctly, or finding THAT part on the uv map by painting each bit a bright colour.

Is there isnt any other way, any chance of a simple model viewer (doesnt have to export or anything, just display the model and textures) ever being added to the tools?? It'd be massivly usefull!

Load your model as a proxy in Object Builder?

Load your model as a proxy in Object Builder?

And apply the re-texture to it how exactly?

The only way that would work would be if you hex-edited the model to use your new texture and/or rvmats), which isn't exactly kosher and is generally frowned upon. I realise it would only be used for internal testing of the textures, but its still a mildly grey area.

I think given how setobjecttexture/hiddenselections work would make a model viewer (in a similar fashion to HLMV or similar) very difficult to achieve...

And apply the re-texture to it how exactly?

The only way that would work would be if you hex-edited the model to use your new texture and/or rvmats), which isn't exactly kosher and is generally frowned upon. I realise it would only be used for internal testing of the textures, but its still a mildly grey area.

I think given how setobjecttexture/hiddenselections work would make a model viewer (in a similar fashion to HLMV or similar) very difficult to achieve...

Ah yeah, wasn't thinking that far.

you can use moveObject to change path easily

however with unpacked data/filePatching setup you can edit textures while the game is running

you can use moveObject to change path easily

however with unpacked data/filePatching setup you can edit textures while the game is running

So then, the game itself becomes the model viewer. Good idea ;)

it depends what you need. ingame you have all the options of course

• Like 1

best method is to use filePatching with unpacked data and check your changes real time without the need to go through edit>pack/build>load game>open VA each time you edited the textures...

• Like 1

so the filepatching is a step in the right direction for sure, but i'm not sure i've got it working right. It sees the changes after closeing and restarting arma3, but if i copy new textures into the folder and re-load the editor its still the old textures on the model. Is the best i can get or have i set it up wrong?? The textures are in paa format if that helps.

post your setup and cmd line params

plus you need to reinit content for the new data to be loaded; for some things you also need to restart the mission

heres what i have:

Mod folders of required addons for the reskins loaded and selected in the launchers mod section

My reskin pbos (Meaty_units_opfor.pbo and Meaty_units_reskins.pbo (reskins pbo holds the textures, units just the configs) loaded and selected in the launchers mod section after the required mods

"enable file patching" tick box ticked in the launchers paramaters/advanced section of the launcher

Meaty_units_reskins.pbo in unpacked form in the main Arma3 folder and selected in the Mods box in parameters/basic section in the launcher

unpacked reskins.pbo has a $PREFIX$ the same as the packed version which reads "Meaty_Units_Reskins" , config file is unbinarized in the reskin folder as well.

Textures are done via hidden selections in the Meaty_units_opfor.pbo config file like such

hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo1","Camo2","Camo3","Camo4"};
		hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Meaty_Units_Reskins\data\PragaV3S\v3s_kabpar_ind_Chern_co.paa","Meaty_Units_Reskins\data\PragaV3S\v3s_intkor_ind_co.paa","Meaty_Units_Reskins\data\PragaV3S\v3s_koloint02_co.paa","Meaty_Units_Reskins\data\PragaV3S\v3s_refuel_Chern_co.paa"};

When i load arma3 i see a seperate jigsaw piece down in the mod list in the bottom left which shows my unpacked reskin folder, so its seeing it. And as i said before, if i restart the game it loads the new textures in the reskin folder.

I've been testing by reloading a saved mission with the rextured unit pre-placed.

Also what do you mean by reinit?? I've not heard that term before.

1. dev branch and diag.exe required

2. path of data in your example x:\games\arma3dev\Meaty_Units_Reskins\data\PragaV3S\

3. reinit = place asset again via zeus, eden, scripting or reloading mission

bingo thats done it! thanks kju! B)

• Like 1