Sign in to follow this  
thobson

A blast from the past

Some years ago I wrote a mission for OFP called Abandoned Armies that proved quite popular.  Time moved on and I thought it had been forgotten about, but then recently someone emailed me about it asking for the design notes/spoiler/walkthrough document that I wrote explaining how it all worked.  They wanted to play it again and it seems like the link to the document I put up many years ago is now broken.  Would it be possible to put that document here for the purposes of historical record and just in case anyone else wants to play the mission again?  I find it amazing, and gratifying, that someone is still playing this mission.

Many thanks

THobson

• Like 5

Hello Thobson. I certainly wouldn't grumble.

I've brought it out of the cupboard and dusted it off for a replay more than a few times. Definitely one of the greats. :)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I wasn't here when you released Abandoned Armies, so I can't help you with the document.

Still, I'd like to thank you for excellent mission you created. It is really a magnificent work, and one of the most detailed and complicated missions of all time. The story, scripting, voice acting, camera work - rarely one can and is willing to put such enormous effort to something which is made for fun and released for free.

Actually I discovered Abandoned Armies very recently. I learned about similiar mission for Arma 3 called Pilgrimage, and people there discussed your mission which brought me to it. It is quite an experience: it is not a blockbuster action packed mission, but it's even more exciting. I've never liked OFP original stealth missions where one have to sneak into the town and steal that stupid UAZ. :) It seemed that no matter what I do, enemy AI would always kill me from several hundred meters. And whole effort seemed pointless.

Abandoned Armies is different here. Maybe it's because of weather settings, but stealth actually works here. I can sneak up into the town, make some contacts, collect equipment and leave unnoticed. But don't think it is because enemy is dumb - you still have to be smart and extremely cautious because one false movement can alert nearby patrols. And this puts not only your life at risk, but also lifes of your team mates, friends and people who rely on your leadership.

Abandoned Armies is like OFP version of Lord of the Rings - an epic journey of one low key character who needs to build his power by using brain and not brute force. A masterpiece of mission making.

Thanks for that!

• Like 1

put it in the BIKI

• Like 1

Many thanks for this vote of confidence, it really is much appreciated.  

Please bear in mind that I have been away from all this for a very long time so please help.  What/where is BIKI and can I attach a document to it?

All the best

• Like 1

I misunderstood what you were getting at. I thought you wanted to put the document up yourself.

I thought I had it buried somewhere in my collection of old CDs/DVDs. No luck finding it so far. Out of all the folks here, zulu1 might be the best chance of locating a copy. Given that he has a massive backlogue of OFP content. :)

• Like 1

@Macser,  Yes I am wanting to put the file up myself.

@.kjui  I have looked through the BIKI, many thanks.  In fact I now remember putting some editing information there many years ago.  What I don't see though is a logical place to to put the Abandoned Armies design note document.  Nothing there seems to be mission specific.  There is a thread here called something like Abandoned Armies Secrets Revealed - or some such.  It is the links in that thread that are broken.  I could provide a word file or a pdf file but I have no idea how to link them now, alternatively I could just put the whole of the text in a post on that thread.   As this is a very old mission and people have moved on to other things I don't want to upset anyone by this.

I have looked through the BIKI, many thanks.  In fact I now remember putting some editing information there many years ago.  What I don't see though is a logical place to to put the Abandoned Armies design note document.  Nothing there seems to be mission specific.  There is a thread here called something like Abandoned Armies Secrets Revealed - or some such.  It is the links in that thread that are broken.  I could provide a word file or a pdf file but I have no idea how to link them now, alternatively I could just put the whole of the text in a post on that thread.   As this is a very old mission and people have moved on to other things I don't want to upset anyone by this.

Please feel free to create a new thread with updated links etc :). I loved playing your mission on OFP, it was blast. Ever thought of bringing it to Arma3 ;)

Thank you that is much appreciated.  The problem is I do not have anywhere to store the file for me to link to it. Is there a way I can upload and attach a pdf file to a post?  As you can probably tell I have been out of touch for quite some time.

As for repeating the mission on ArmA3 or anywhere else:  I have given some help to others who wanted to write something similar and all my scripts were well commented to explain how they worked.  Making that mission was good for me given what else was going on in my life at that time but that mission took over my life for nearly two years and I don't have the time or energy to do anything like that again.  I will leave that to other, younger, people.

JDB is keeping the ship afloat over at OFPinfo as far as I'm aware. Perhaps it could be hosted there along with a copy of the mission, if you still have one? It might be worth sending him a PM to check it out, if he doesn't happen by this thread.

• Like 1

www.OFPinfo.com seems to no longer exist, or am I using the wrong URL?  I am in touch with OFPEC but given there are threads here on the mission I thought it might be useful to have it here where I think there are more active users.  There is already a thread here called something like Abandoned Armies Secrets Revealed (mostly) and so I thought it would be good to link it there if possible.  I suppose I could just copy and paste it in to a post on that thread, but it is nearly 40 pages long and I doubt the moderators would be happy with that.

www.OFPinfo.com seems to no longer exist, or am I using the wrong URL?  I am in touch with OFPEC but given there are threads here on the mission I thought it might be useful to have it here where I think there are more active users.  There is already a thread here called something like Abandoned Armies Secrets Revealed (mostly) and so I thought it would be good to link it there if possible.  I suppose I could just copy and paste it in to a post on that thread, but it is nearly 40 pages long and I doubt the moderators would be happy with that.

Please feel free to post in the thread that is already here :)

That really is most kind of you.  Many thanks.