taro8

Squad radar improvement

Here's couple of ideas for improving the new squad radar feature:

Ability to keep radar hidden unless a key is pressed, radar is shown as long as the key is pressed. Ability to toggle radar on/off with a keybind also should be included. Kinda the same way you can do with UAV feed with TAB and 2xTAB.

Something you could call a "Spot Ping", when enemy is spotted a red bar is flashed around the direction enemy is spotted, the bar gets shorter the further enemy is from your position. The bar always points to the enemy from your position even if you turn around. The "ping" would fade after some time (I think it should be configurable after what amount of time it does). See the image for visualisation of my idea. Of course this feature should be an optional extension to squad radar with can be turned off in options menu.

I'm the kind of player that really sucks at understanding AI calling out targets, this kind of feature would be a blessing.

1HslScY.jpg

• Like 9

This is a really good idea.

If it's togleable, I would say I agree.

• Like 3

If it's togleable, I would say I agree.

Also, why not make it mildly flash or animated on each new enemy detection, so you don't get lost when there's many AIs suddenly detected.

All toggleable.

Old thread, but... this "squad radar improvement" would also work for incoming fire. 3D sound is currently subpar and it´s really hard to figure out where you are being shot at from. Something like this as a toggable feature would help gameplay alot...

• Like 1

Is this vanilla version of the squad radar officially dead or is it still being developed by BI?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich_R said:

Is this vanilla version of the squad radar officially dead or is it still being developed by BI?

Probably as dead as Arma 3 Units

• Like 4

1 hour ago, R3vo said:

Probably as dead as Arma 3 Units

Another feature being put on the shelf as soon as they finished making it.

Same as:

• PiP (There's so much more you could do with it than just using it for sidemirrors)
  • Sling Loading (Rope technology could be used for rappeling, skyhook, towing etc. but again, here we are with the huron still starting infinite circles before slingloading any object in 80% of all times)
  • PhysX (still not working for man classes besides from getting killed when walking next to a moving vehicle without touching it, why was this implemented again?)
  • Ability to dive (still only one SDV and nothing much going on under the sea level)
  • Visual "Upgrade" (still no documentation more than one year after its implementation, messed up night lighting, no response from devs in the designated feedback thread)

Cheers

• Like 13

20 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Another feature being put on the shelf as soon as they finished making it.

Same as:

• PiP (There's so much more you could do with it than just using it for sidemirrors)
  • Sling Loading (Rope technology could be used for rappeling, skyhook, towing etc. but again, here we are with the huron still starting infinite circles before slingloading any object in 80% of all times)
  • PhysX (still not working for man classes besides from getting killed when walking next to a moving vehicle without touching it, why was this implemented again?)
  • Ability to dive (still only one SDV and nothing much going on under the sea level)
  • Visual "Upgrade" (still no documentation more than one year after its implementation, messed up night lighting, no response from devs in the designated feedback thread)

Cheers

Why not make a general thread listing all of the features that BIS could've expanded on / actually finished, so we could discuss them there? I'd gladly participate.

On 9/23/2017 at 1:33 PM, Rich_R said:

It was briefly on main branch as a different mode of the custom panels (GPS), where it would rotate as the player rotated. Not sure why that was pulled, but I expect it is similar to the mine detector. mine detector was in finished state at Jets DLC launch but pulled from game so it could be released with Laws of War DLC. I think perhaps the Squad Radar variant of the GPS/custom panel has been withdrawn from the game so it can be re-released as part of the Tac Ops DLC.

more info here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Custom_Info

@Grumpy Old Man

BIS doesnt have infinite resources to throw around. yes they made nice (and unexpected) money with ArmA 3 due to success of various mods (battle royale, life RPG, zombie stuff), but not enough to complete all these features, especially those features that modders are willing to do unpaid/for free.

Even I am not expecting or asking them to continue work on AI/driving/etc. every hour spent on arma 3 is an hour less spent on their next title.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, inlesco said:

Why not make a general thread listing all of the features that BIS could've expanded on / actually finished, so we could discuss them there? I'd gladly participate.

This would probably escalate after the first page causing one specific frenzy medic to step in, heh.

42 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

BIS doesnt have infinite resources to throw around. yes they made nice (and unexpected) money with ArmA 3 due to success of various mods (battle royale, life RPG, zombie stuff), but not enough to complete all these features, especially those features that modders are willing to do unpaid/for free.

Even I am not expecting or asking them to continue work on AI/driving/etc. every hour spent on arma 3 is an hour less spent on their next title.

I'm certain it wouldn't take a huge amount of time to add more functionality to already existing features.

The bare brickwork is done but they forgot to put in the windows and doors.

I'm not even talking about furniture.

Spoiler

Hee hee

:yay:

Cheers

45 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

It was briefly on main branch as a different mode of the custom panels (GPS), where it would rotate as the player rotated. Not sure why that was pulled, but I expect it is similar to the mine detector. mine detector was in finished state at Jets DLC launch but pulled from game so it could be released with Laws of War DLC. I think perhaps the Squad Radar variant of the GPS/custom panel has been withdrawn from the game so it can be re-released as part of the Tac Ops DLC.

more info here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Custom_Info

@Grumpy Old Man

I completely agree with the notion that spending time on an older, soon-to-expire title is truly a waste of time, unless you're making reusable [across multiple titles] assets like props, buildings, vehicles, etc. and don't have to spend tons of time on coding, etc., then it's a worthy investment as we've seen most of the BIS' DLCs focusing on mostly asset work and features in some cases.

Even if BIS is secretly ditching SQF completely and there's a DayZ SA Enfusionscript coming in, they should give some hints about it maybe :P, so we start to see their decisions not to expand existing half-baked features as reasonable because no man on earth wants to waste resources on something that's gonna be a ditched soon after.

but BIS won't speak up on the potential of a new title or even a restoration of Arma 3 on Enfusion engine, without any SQF which has been already a deprecated solution for many years...

The squad radar is going to be tied to spec ops glasses in the tac ops dlc. 

It will only be available for people who paid for the dlc. Anyone else can use the modded versions that are freely available. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 24. 9. 2017 at 12:28 PM, teabagginpeople said:

The squad radar is going to be tied to spec ops glasses in the tac ops dlc. 

It will only be available for people who paid for the dlc. Anyone else can use the modded versions that are freely available. 

Source please? 

34 minutes ago, danny96 said:

Source please? 

It's on the internet, it must be true! *sarcasm*

Just now, R3vo said:

It's on the internet, it must be true! *sarcasm*

Yeah this. But I really don't know the reason they removed that feature. Worked pretty well there was literally nothing wrong with it. Gave you that sense of knowing what's around you like you actually was here.

20 hours ago, danny96 said:

Source please? 

ugh this was a piss take. 

a great suggestion to helps sell more dlc  but a piss take.

no word on the sq radar in some time.