Mynock

Arma X Anniversary Edition. Worth it for someone who's never played A1 or 2?

The A2 forum seems a bit dead, so I apologize if asking this in the A3 General is against the rules, but the BI General section specifically states it's not for Arma or OFP discussion.

Every time the Steam sales come around I consider this purchase, and while it's not a lot of money, it's a lot of potential time. I've only owned an Arma title for about a year now, A3 of course, and I enjoy it quite a bit generally speaking. For someone who has never played Arma Cold War Assault (or I guess OFP is what it used to be called?) or Arma 2, is something like the Anniversary pack a wise investment? I don't play multiplayer, so I'm not concerned about there being a lack of servers or maybe even none at all anymore, I don't know. I'd be buying it mainly for the single player campaigns and maybe to mess with the old editors for fun. However, with tons of stuff having been ported over to Arma 3 from 2, is it even worth it to buy it just for the campaigns and maybe a couple hours of messing with the editor at the most? It's time and HDD space more than money with in only being $10 to get the following:

ARMA: Gold Edition

ARMA: Cold War Assault

Arma 2

Arma 2: Operations Arrowhead

Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic

Arma 2: British Armed Forces

Arma 2: PMC

No desire to play DayZ, no desire to play MP, just seems like it might be fun to mess around with, but if I'm wrong and Arma 3 with all the available mods is going to outclass everything there is about the older games then perhaps it's not worth it? What do those of you with long time Arma experience think?

Sure why not? :) if only for the Cold War Assault though most probably. It still has a charm, but maybe that is nostalgia. I have no idea what a newcomer might think coming to it new today. There's plenty of content available for ArmA 2 too, a lot of which is not available in ArmA 3.

• Like 2

I'll load some of these up from time to time. Its certainly interesting to see how much has changed and how much hasn't :)

If you can get around the older graphics, they are worth having. A free insight to the older games has come from the CUP team who've released many of the older maps found in the previous version in their latest terrain pack. Even with these, you can see how the series has grown.

I would say it could be worth it, but not based on the vanilla content (except for Cold War Assault). But buying it would allow you to download and play the CWR2 mod in all it's glory, and that I do recommend dearly!

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned graphics aren't really of concern; it's an older game and I'd be a fool to expect the graphics to be nice haha. I still fire up Novalogic's old F16 Multirole Fighter and Delta Force Black Hawk Down at least a few times a year, and games like the original SOCOM, original Ghost Recon, even the original Roller Coaster Tycoon are some of my all time favorites even when compared to today's games. Gameplay will always beat out graphics in my book, but maybe that's because I grew up on games with junky graphics being in my mid-20's currently.

• Like 1

I just recommend you only buy ARMA 2 Combined Arms Complete collection:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33900/

Then download CWR2 mod for Arma 2 Combined Arms to play Operation Flashpoint in the ARMA 2 engine.

Also get the RED HAMMER campaign addon for CRW2 here so you can play the Operation Flashpoint Red Hammer addon in ARMA 2.

Then download ARMA Rearmed mod for Arma 2 Combined Arms to play ARMA 1 in Arma 2 engine.

Basically, you can play all 3 game under the ARMA 2 engine.

After you're done, buy ARMA 3 WITH APEX. You can buy or skip the DLC content unless you are hardcore sniper or helipilot gamer.

That is the best Value. If you really just want to run the older games for nostalgia, you can. I recommend getting the Anniversary Edition when its on sale then but I will be honest, unless you really want to play some old Operation Flash point or ARMA 1 mods, I doubt you will load it. 

I do have the full kit and do load up one of those obscure and never ported mods over to ARMA 2 or ARMA 3 though.

• Like 4

Interesting. I wasn't aware there were ports. I'll consider that.

After you're done, buy ARMA 3 WITH APEX. You can buy or skip the DLC content unless you are hardcore sniper or helipilot gamer.

Sorry if my first post was unclear, but I already own all of this stuff, hence my interest in going back to see what I've potentially missed having not been an Arma player before 3.
  • Like 1

Yeah give the CWR2 MOD a go. i'm playing for over a year mostly CWR mod and I'm still not done with it. It is the biggest MOD for ArmA2 ever created. All the extensions from units to terrains, Winter version and so on are awesome. Now having played OFP back in the days I felt the same atmosphere and the same thrill when playing the CWR2 version in ArmA 2. The campaigns are great and I believe me it's worth giving it a try. I'm still playing CWR2 today most of the times. The content is so huge it will take you a lot of time to discover everything. I'm tinkering in the editor for nearly two years now and I still havent discovered or used everything.

If you ask me it is definitely worth a try and it will keep you busy.

Just my 2 cents  . . . now I'm off playing CWR2

cheers :coop:

I find this question strange. Just buy all of it, you don't pay for Arma with money, you pay for it with your life (time).. ;-)

• Like 1

I find this question strange. Just buy all of it, you don't pay for Arma with money, you pay for it with your life (time).. ;-)

That was exactly my point of asking. $10 isn't really an issue. It's whether it's really worth the time and HDD space investment to mess with them when I'm already content with Arma 3.
  • Like 1

Arma 2 with all the dlc's. That should keep you busy for years.

Needs modding though. ;)

• Like 1

I actually find that Operation Flashpoint has stood the tides of time better than ARMA I

I actually find that Operation Flashpoint has stood the tides of time better than ARMA I

I agree. So try CWR2 Rearmed mod for Arma 2. You get all the technical advances of A2 with all the content, story and style of OFP:

http://cwr2.arma2.fr/

Truly an amazing mod.

• Like 1

I agree. So try CWR2 Rearmed mod for Arma 2. You get all the technical advances of A2 with all the content, story and style of OFP:

http://cwr2.arma2.fr/

Truly an amazing mod.

Yes, but that's the last active modding team for ArmA2 (or almost). The modders for OFP are still more active.

• Like 1

I just recommend you only buy ARMA 2 Combined Arms Complete collection:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33900/

Then download CWR2 mod for Arma 2 Combined Arms to play Operation Flashpoint in the ARMA 2 engine.

Also get the RED HAMMER campaign addon for CRW2 here so you can play the Operation Flashpoint Red Hammer addon in ARMA 2.

Then download ARMA Rearmed mod for Arma 2 Combined Arms to play ARMA 1 in Arma 2 engine.

Basically, you can play all 3 game under the ARMA 2 engine.

That is the best Value. If you really just want to run the older games for nostalgia, you can. I recommend getting the Anniversary Edition when its on sale then but I will be honest, unless you really want to play some old Operation Flash point or ARMA 1 mods, I doubt you will load it. 

I do have the full kit and do load up one of those obscure and never ported mods over to ARMA 2 or ARMA 3 though.

This cannot be repeated loudly enough.

Consider how in pre-ArmA II games, you couldn't reload while moving. Going back to the old games as old games is rather janky.

This cannot be repeated loudly enough.

Consider how in pre-ArmA II games, you couldn't reload while moving. Going back to the old games as old games is rather janky.

That usually comes from people who didn't play previous versions, and the gazillion of mods and game enhancements we have.

Just replied to a topic in ArmA 2 where a dude claims that CWR2 doesn't work with the latest patch anymore. I believe that he's on official patch 1.63 maybe on Beta couldn't figure out. In case you're running the latest patch save yourself the sweat to download it . . . most probably it won't work. My ArmA OA is running on 1.62 patch last non Steam patch and I'm running every MOD without hastle. It's a pity that the MODs for ArmA OA are being messed up. Most of them will probably be broken in case you try to run with the latest patch. Moreover they will never get fixed.

Really sad affairs.