7Y-Loki

Texture invading the limits between another 2 textures!

Yes, kind of a weird title.

So, here's the problem. In most of the maps I have been making I have come across this nagging little problem.

Sometimes some textures appear where they shouldn't, always in the limits between another two textures. I have thought that maybe it could be because of the faint blur on the mask image, but as I understand it, a faint blur makes the transition from one texture to another look smoother (?)

Here there are some examples:

20160623125141_1_zpskuxowh0x.jpg

20160623125406_1_zpsfypr8l04.jpg

20160623125115_1_zpsdnehxwyn.jpg

And here some photos of the blurred masks:

Untitled-1_zpsvqstrgkv.jpg

Untitled-2_zps1wlgiex6.jpg

Thank you for your time!

-Loki.

You have smooth color transitions, this is the reason for your problem.

You need to have a sharp transition from one pixe 100% color X to 100% color Y

Try the indexed color mode in Photoshop

I will try that, thanks mate.

I read somewhere that smooth transitions on mask made transitions on the map smoother too!

Thats not the case, it's a mask for the engine to render a specific ground texture where a specific color is, if you have smooth transitions the colors do not match with the one you specifiyed in the layers.cfg and the engine can't make any use of it.

Did you find a fix for this, @7Y-Loki? I have the same issue with my map. i am using the indexed mode and as far as I can tell I have an immediate color transition. My photos are in the spoiler below. I realize your mask is blurred, but I'm guessing you've run into the same issue I've been having even with no blur on the mask.

Spoiler

sRytphK.jpg

XPKJ4Za.png