R0adki11

Mig-21 PFM (Fishbed-F)

92 posts in this topic

Updated mod v1.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey R0adki11 , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have good memories with this plane, I remember sitting in it as a kid :p Great plane.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to several complaints (apparently it takes ages to take off and handles really bad) made over on the steam download suggesting the addon is broken. I have removed the download source from their and am consider doing elsewhere as i haven't had the time since August to do any addon making. :unhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'll fix it for you mate, after the weekend. chuck me the latest build.

i bet it is a larger maxspeed and an unadjusted envelope

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/12/2016 at 0:32 PM, eggbeast said:

i'll fix it for you mate, after the weekend. chuck me the latest build.

i bet it is a larger maxspeed and an unadjusted envelope

Thanks for the offer, i did some testing today and couldn't find any issues with the aircraft. Unless anyone else has noticed any issues? Maybe some users over on steam need to learn to fly :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I confirm the bad handling with the 1.1 version (unable to get the 1.0 version) with ArmA III 1.66.139586. It turns and performs worse than a transport plane, although I can get it airborne at full flaps and afterburners.

I was unable to get even nearly similar performance out of the MiG when put into similar situations as in ampersand38's video. Unfortunately I know nothing about ArmA's flight model to suggest a fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chris77 said:

I confirm the bad handling with the 1.1 version (unable to get the 1.0 version) with ArmA III 1.66.139586. It turns and performs worse than a transport plane, although I can get it airborne at full flaps and afterburners.

I was unable to get even nearly similar performance out of the MiG when put into similar situations as in ampersand38's video. Unfortunately I know nothing about ArmA's flight model to suggest a fix.

Thanks for letting me know, it maybe my flying style which means i take longer turns for attack runs. I will have a look and see if i can improve its performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/02/2017 at 7:34 PM, chris77 said:

I've started playing around with flight model configuration data and I got a config that makes the MiG-21 behave like a fighter again. I also lowered the stall speed significantly to help operating from the rather short 800m runways on all ArmA maps.

 

That's nice, however i would have preferred if you had asked permission, before editing. If you are happy for me to use the changes in an update, please let me know. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what he just did... :h:

He shared a config.cpp file for YOU to implement in the mod whenever you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Crielaard said:

That's what he just did... :h:

He shared a config.cpp file for YOU to implement in the mod whenever you like.

I see that he has shared a config. I just try to be polite by making sure i ask permission before i use someone else's work. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just looked at that new config suggestion, in particular the envelope, didn't look at my old one, probably same one...

 

here is envelope graph

- blue shows the envelope set on the plane - lift in m/s per 10% maxspeed km/h

- brown shows suggested corrected values to enhance take-off lift (using new envelope values highlighted in yellow)

- curve in general shows good smooth transitions between percentiles, so it won't lurch when losing or gaining speed

- skew on left side of curve is correct as mig-21 does need a good run-up for taking off with those dinky little wings. (it is also why they use drogue parachutes to brake, as they cannot approach landing too slowly or they will lose lift due to small wings and fall from the sky)

 

the only other thing to check is whether the plane ever reaches its max speed of 2100 km/h, as the BI guys seem to restrict the max speed in their engine.

if it never gets close it may be time for a new maxspeed setting - that would be my mistake in advising you originally.

 

if you want the envelope graph to experiment with, it's here

http://server.elite-warriors.co.uk/eggbeast/projects/uns/docs/envelope.xlsx

 

krzyQwI.jpg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eggbeast said:

just looked at that new config suggestion, in particular the envelope, didn't look at my old one, probably same one...

 

here is envelope graph

- blue shows the envelope set on the plane - lift in m/s per 10% maxspeed km/h

- brown shows suggested corrected values to enhance take-off lift (using new envelope values highlighted in yellow)

- curve in general shows good smooth transitions between percentiles, so it won't lurch when losing or gaining speed

- skew on left side of curve is correct as mig-21 does need a good run-up for taking off with those dinky little wings. (it is also why they use drogue parachutes to brake, as they cannot approach landing too slowly or they will lose lift due to small wings and fall from the sky)

 

the only other thing to check is whether the plane ever reaches its max speed of 2100 km/h, as the BI guys seem to restrict the max speed in their engine.

if it never gets close it may be time for a new maxspeed setting - that would be my mistake in advising you originally.

 

Thanks for checking it out, that graph is a handy tool indeed. I suspect the maxspeed maybe limited by the engine, i will experiment to see what speed i can get upto with the afterburner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So did a few tests tonight, takeoff works better. Auto pilot and normal landings are somewhat interesting either ok or a burning wreck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who uses autopilot? ;)

 

Might want to increase the angle of incidence a little. This could help people who are not using TrackIR see the runway better during approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chris77 said:

Who uses autopilot? ;)

 

Might want to increase the angle of incidence a little. This could help people who are not using TrackIR see the runway better during approach.

Well some members of the community may use it, its important to test all things before releasing an addon. I personally don't have TrackIR so can't test that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R0adki11 said:

So did a few tests tonight, takeoff works better. Auto pilot and normal landings are somewhat interesting either ok or a burning wreck.

tests with what? the config? or the changes i suggested in the envelope?

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eggbeast said:

tests with what? the config? or the changes i suggested in the envelope?

 

I've made some modifications to the config, based on the suggestions of the envelope, plus a few tweaks of my own. Things are looking better, hopefully push out an update soon. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to be *that guy*, but have you considered any more skins for the MiG? I know, I know... I ask only because most of the current skins are Lingor, Nogova, etc... the only real life skins are Bulgaria and USSR, which makes it limiting to use in missions (no Bulgarian Armed Forces mod, so I've used it a bit in missions involving Basher's Soviet Armed Forces). I just feel it's missing skins like Serbian (Serbia uses a handful of Fishbeds, and could be used with RHS:SAF), or Syrian (Syrian Air Force still has like 200 Fishbeds or something outlandish, and SAA will be coming soon to Project OPFOR). I'm sorry this comes off as a request, I would just love to find more ways to use this addon in missions. Thanks so much for all your work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aniallator said:

I hate to be *that guy*, but have you considered any more skins for the MiG? I know, I know... I ask only because most of the current skins are Lingor, Nogova, etc... the only real life skins are Bulgaria and USSR, which makes it limiting to use in missions (no Bulgarian Armed Forces mod, so I've used it a bit in missions involving Basher's Soviet Armed Forces). I just feel it's missing skins like Serbian (Serbia uses a handful of Fishbeds, and could be used with RHS:SAF), or Syrian (Syrian Air Force still has like 200 Fishbeds or something outlandish, and SAA will be coming soon to Project OPFOR). I'm sorry this comes off as a request, I would just love to find more ways to use this addon in missions. Thanks so much for all your work!

Don't worry about, i would certainly like more colour schemes to be included. However i am no expect with photoshop, my expertise is configs etc. I do have a number of .psd files if anyone is willing to create skins for me, then drop me a PM.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you find a texture person to help, I have a full set of mig-21 skins including egypt, syria, and all kinds, but they are mapped to nightintruders mig21. still you could use them for reference, i'm sure he wouldn't mind. we don't use them as we are making ours only for the PAVN.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news, thankfully the release of 1.68 hasn't shown any new problems. Which means i will be putting out an update the with improved config over the coming days. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any thoughts on setting it up towards Jets? i.e. determining what sensors are included, which display panels (i.e. what sensor display resolutions), getting it ready for dynamic vehicle loadouts...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now