klamacz

AI Driving - Feedback topic

Maybe this also relates to the old diving model:

The SpeedMode the AI is in (limited, normal, full) seems to affect the driving speed, but you can only set those parameters in the editor - not while playing?

EDIT: On 'full' I had the AI taking those narrow trails through the jungle; they got stuck within 50m.

It should depend on the drivers equipment. If the driver has NVGs and is not in safe mode, the headlights should be off. If driver doesn't have NVGs, headlights should always be on, because have you ever tried to drive your car without headlights on in the dark?

I disagree on the last paragraph, during service we were strictly forbidden to use headlights when enemy encounter was possible, granted we always had NVGs, but the protocol was the same even if we didn't have them.

Tricky one to tackle in a believable manner  :unsure:

• Like 1

Are the AI driving enhancements going to extend to naval vessels too?

It's really hard to get AI naval transportation going when any AI venture near the coast usually ends with the AI getting themselves beached.

• Like 1

- light switching in vehicles - depends on main light and combat mode - needs to be safe

But what happens exactly when the combat mode is not safe? Are the driving capabilities of the AI affected?

well, not even in real life, computers can drive without crashes :

anyway, very good news that this area is worked on, really appreciate it.

I might just call me an Arma-Uber on Tanoa and get myself chauffeured around the island, while enjoying the scenery :)

One big question: Will be the "Turret always facing north bug" fixed ? Pleeeaasee

• Like 1

Are the AI driving enhancements going to extend to naval vessels too?

It's really hard to get AI naval transportation going when any AI venture near the coast usually ends with the AI getting themselves beached.

Especially considering that boats and aircraft are probably going to be more dominant than cars and armoured vehicles in Tanoa.

AI still have a very personal way to handle roundabout.

Klamacz, this is such an improvement.  Keep working hard on it please as rubbish driving can be the death of so many missions.

@ All - how do I set the AI to "safe" in Eden? I can't find the setting once I've placed a AI player.

Did further testing with other maps Taviana and Podagorsk (DayZero maps) to see if I can trip up the AI. The AI drives fairly well on nicely laid out maps with beautiful roads it seems.

It does get stuck when approaching ON RAMPS and OFF RAMPS such as on Taviana.

Over-compensates with turn radius for the barriers.

Is blind to decorative / destroyed prop cars on the road. Literally just runs right into it for some reason. If they were driving a big rig truck I can understand but now some small 2 liter coupe / compact car!!

AI still over compensates for parked cars, animals and other AI players. If the objects are in front of it, it would wait. Eventually then turns around in very wide arcs to get around.

I wonder why it cannot calculate its current speed and determine how to pass by safely with other moving objects based on their projection and current speed. This one aspect where I don't mind the AI cheating to have a smooth pass.

Only if it is getting shot at or sees an Enemy should offensive driving mode kick in or get out and engage it.

Lastly the AI will still wheel lock the cars to the left such as below. If they get out, get in and repeat enough, the cars may move with the wheels still locked to the left. 

Mods used - F3male Mod and Jonzie Megacar pack from Steam Workshop. Still a great improvement from before.

555994C4EED83E4DD7926675C0C34DE2A9329C94

2A9E87E342898DEA618AC0109A327C49A4D76E24

9B08117110CD34777C8C3A1CFC0D25C6BC174D70

@ All - how do I set the AI to "safe" in Eden? I can't find the setting once I've placed a AI player.

It's a group property: just double click the rectangle above the group leader (or individual AI if not part of a group) - choose the behavior of your liking.

I'm not sure of QA procedures BI devs use, but are there any plans for a small AI debugging / logging framework, so we could easily record data (with KB shortcuts preferably) and pass it to you as evidence of behavior? I suppose that'd help immensely. A single parameter (debugAI=1) or something in the startup line.

I assume videos and map coordinates are enough so far as you do all the proper testing internally, yes?

Here's another video.

Not sure whether the AI is now aware of that it is driving an MRAP or just not giving a fuck.

I actually wanted to test the behaviour of the AI in front of open/closed bar gates.

Example Mission: https://www.dropbox.com/s/thsjuy73dtcvbtp/pathFinding_3.Altis.zip?dl=0

Can confirm this behavior.

AI doesn't care about wrecks. Definitely related to all 'Empty' class objects not included as 'toAvoid' as this new pathfinding is still WIP :)

I bet for AI behavior configuration presets (like, relaxed / average / aggressive) this could be an interesting addition. Imagine an AI tank not giving a shit about anything (or Empty class objects only) in its way and focusing on reaching the destination ASAP :)

• Like 3

Hopefully AI will finally learns to avoid friendlies (old video but still valid).

Hopefully AI will finally learns to avoid friendlies (old video but still valid).

I thought this happened to just me LOL. Build a mission. Add AI team mates and a tank or APC. Said armour rides over half your squad when they move out

• Like 1

A tank should not take notice of your squad, the AI squad should steer clear of the tank...  :)

EDIT: Or this should at least be dependent on the combat mode; in safe mode you'd have your tank slalom the inf...

• Like 1

I'm glad that someone of the seniority and experience of Klamacz is taking this on. For me, AI driving is one of the major pieces of the jigsaw that is missing.

Here's the 3 things I hope can be fixed.

1. AI drivers turning in too early at intersections and colliding with objects that aren't even on the road. (not turning in as in 'buttoning up')
  2. AI drivers care about colliding with things. Wrecks, actors, other vehicles.
  3. Whe on the open road, they dive off the road for no apparent reason. It's not random because all vehicles in a convoy appear to leave the road and come back on at the same point.
  • Like 1

For tanks vs infantry driving.
- If there is road downhill, and 8 mans squad is standing on down the road (keeping the road clear, they standing on left and right of road), tank allways driving on infantry, not using brake.
- Driving downhill and ordering to stop and reverse resoulting the tank keep moving forward.
- Driving tanks in formation is piece of hard work - allways if you as commander stop, the tanks in formation moves further, then they rotating to move back in formation ( giving their asses - engines to enemy fire instead of kepping frontal armor faced to enemy)

Resoult - take a look at tank's brakes, they simply barelly working.

One comment I have about AI driving, is when you are the commander of a vehicle and get out, the driver will try to get into formation with you. This means that very frequently the drive will kill you as he turns and runs you over. I find it more than a little frustrating.  

• Like 3

One comment I have about AI driving, is when you are the commander of a vehicle and get out, the driver will try to get into formation with you. This means that very frequently the drive will kill you as he turns and runs you over. I find it more than a little frustrating.  

I don't think you have to be commander, squad leader will do...

This is SO frustrating! If you command them to halt and then you disembark the halt command should stay true. They shouldn't decide on their own to form up with you just because you got out of the vehicle. As it is now, you must quickly command halt again once you get out or be driven over. I use a voice command software, so I can command it fairly quickly, but I should not have to issue it a second time! Thank you for bringing that up.

• Like 1

I am very happy AI driving is being adressed. Did a quick test yesterday, ordered my driver with that Pickup car from Tanoa Georgetown to the very east... and was disappointed. Never drove on a straight line on big roads (almost touched walls), then outside of town chose small paths. The driver drove like he was drunk and I got seasick until we crashed into a tree, game over. There were no obstacles on the road... Will look again. Maybe Tanoa is not a good testing ground yet. EDIT: On Altis, driving worked very well.