HeroesandvillainsOS

[ALiVE, SP/COOP 1-20] Operation Prophet [Insurgency]

Hi Heroes,

Its me again. Still plugging away trying to play your mission solo ! lol. 

The problem now is I can see my server in the INTERNET tab in multiplayer, fine. When I go to join "3CB:BAF Units" has a red circle next to it, so I can't play.

Can't see how this can happen as I am using the TADST Tool with all the same mod folders. Also an error comes up about "config.bin/cfgweapons/iteminfo.scope" something or other.

I have re-downloaded the BAF mod but get the same error. No extra mods loaded, but the ones on your list.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers.

Can you try renaming your server to something without a colon or spaces? Use something simple and if it's multiple words, just smush them together. Try it without numbers too if you can. Let me know if that helps.

My first ever mission that I played with TADST was on Kunduz so I named it hvkunduz. I've used it ever since.

That error is due to lots of mods (Massi and 3CB) thanks to some changes made in 1.62, BTW. I just launched Peophet on my own TADST server last night so I know the mission plays fine and that error shouldn't prevent you from playing at all.

Are you seeing any other errors? And does the mission load in LAN? We need to determine if it's a server problem or a mods problem. If it plays on LAN, then at least we know the mods on your client are ok.

Thanks H.

Okay, renaming my server didn't make a difference, BAF Units still showed with a red dot.

Starting it up in LAN worked and I was able to play, however the list of expansions bottom right was short, a lot of mods not listed.

One thing, in order to get my server showing in Browser I had to change the port shown on first page of TADST to 2305 not 2302 as shown in the TADST youtube video you linked. This drove me nuts trying to figure.

No other errors showing up only the one I said.

So is it playing ok now that you found your server? If not, can you trying opening up ports 2302-2305 and going back to 2302 to see if that helps?

Don't put too much stock in the red dot/green dot stuff. Actually, put not stock in it. The system is garbage and never is accurate for me either.

Now, if your server shows up, but the mission can't be played, what happens when you try to join? Give me as much detail as possible please.

Lastly, just so we can determine whether it's still an issue with the mission or not, can you try running any (preferably vanilla, non-ALiVE) mission on the sever so we can at least make sure TADST/your ports/etc are properly setup?

okay,

went back to port 2302 but server doesn't show in INTERNET list....all ports are forwarded 2302-2305, Now under LAN 2 server instances are showing with the same server name !!

Restarted all after going back to port 2305 in TADST. I can see server in INTERNET browser list. TADST says mission read and game started

Clicked join - message reads "Connecting Failed"

That video above is the one i followed.

Thanks.

The two servers being listed is fine. Totally normal. Introduced with Arma 1.60. I think it's either related to headless client or one being your favorite, and the other being discovered. Not sure. Try joining either one (they are the same) and see if it works.

If not, ca you try any mission that isn't mine just so we can make sure the server is working? I mean, if you want to play something cool, my buddy Phantom who's like the best mission maker ever made this yesterday: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729129457or you could try his Terrorist mission: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=673521656

Or for what it's worth, just lay a unit down in the editor and save the mission and try to launch that. Anything really. I just want to see if the server works.

Make sure your TADST folder is in your Arma root. The default path is program files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/arma 3

Inside there should be a TADST folder. TADST.exe. Arma3.exe. Arma3server.exe. @ALiVE. @aliveserver. alive.cfg. Most of your mods. A new !workshop folder. A folder called mpmissions with Prophet.Reshmaan.PBO inside it.

Also, can you send me some photos of your TADST tabs (mods, missions, the main page).

Oh. If you ever do play either of Phantom's missions, play them in SP. I just recommended them as a test for the server because they are coop compatible.

Okay HEROES, I'm in !!

It was a port forwarding issue - I can now see and connect to my server and play. Also now TADST says I am now back to running on port 2302 (back to default) Now to get persistence in the War Room.

You were right, the red dot next to a mod mean't nothing and still let me connect.

Which ip address do you put in the groups menu of ALIVE - your internal or external ? as server and client are on the same machine, and how do you find it out.

Also it says the Alive.cfg must be on the server and not the client, how can that be when I am using one machine ? is it ok to put in ARMA 3 root folder ?

Do I need to click Persistance Battlefield in TADST and also autoinit ? Do i need UPNP ticked also ?

As always, thanks for your PERSISTENCE with me !

• Like 1

Nice!!!! :)

So on War Room, you need to put in your external IP. You can find this at www.whatsmyip.org. You may also want to make sure you have set yourself a static IP address if possible. If not, make sure to check it before playing and change it on War Room accordingly (AKA every time you play).

Follow the server setup instructions on War Room carefully. It's going to need your player ID (now found in the new "units" tab on the game's main menu screen. Top right corner).

Ok. Since you're set up the same way I am (server and game on the same machine), make sure alive.cfg is in your Arma 3 root folder (program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/arma 3). This is where TADST.exe, your TADST folder, arma3.exe, arma3server.exe, your @mods folder, !workshop folder and @aliveserver should all be located. @aliveserver runs on TADST only and put it last in the mods line. Everything in the Arma root and all folders in the Arma root. The server and client will all be running from the same place.

Also, I ninja updated Prophet yesterday (same link) but am holding off doing a changelog or announcement until I have time to actually play it and I get more substantial updates in. My Dropbox is my repository for updates I feel are safe and often gets updated as a way for me to backup without me doing an official announcement.

This update brings in High Command support (left control + space) for Medical/Repair/Vehicle Rearm/Refuel HEMTT's. Just note I cannot confirm most of these HEMTT trucks are compatible with 3CB (the medical one is), but I decided to add them anyway just incase they do work, and you want to call in a truck so you can heal up (and hopefully rearm and stuff).

Consider it just another way to get supplies when you're far from home. Normal logistics will probably be the more ideal option but I like giving the player choice when possible.

If you spot any bugs, let me know (and note: there will be bugs. ALiVE 1.1.1 introduced some on their end but will hopefully be fixed when they update again.)

Congrats getting up and running. Let me know if you need any additional help! :)

Do I need to click Persistance Battlefield in TADST and also autoinit ? Do i need UPNP ticked also ?

In ALIVE setup does your username have to be the same as in your arma profile ?

"Hostname" is actually the name of your computer. On your desktop, type in cmd in the search bar. Open the command window.

Then type in ipconfig or ipconfig/all. Search the cmd window for your "Hostname." Exactly as it is written it will need to be written on War Room. Your "Server Name" will be whatever you name it in TADST. For simplicity sake, I name all my TADST profiles the same so I don't need to muck about changing my server name on War Room every time I switch missions.

Now, normally I don't have UPNP or Persistent Battlefield/Auto Init clicked in TADST. I usually just leave the default settings be. However, it was brought to my attention in SOME circumstances, player persistence isn't sticking without Auto Init enabled (it's a rare bug being looked into by the ALiVE Devs). Without it ticked, it will still save almost everything persistence related, just it won't load your persisted gear or ammo count (etc). Everything else important will save and again, the bug is RARE. It may work just fine unticked just like it always has. I really need to get a session in and stop fussing about in the editor. :)

I'd say if you want, just go ahead an enable the Auto Init (which I think requires you to tick Persistent Battlefield?), but I haven't tried this since hearing of the bug. The guy reporting the bug uses TADST and says this is a safe thing to do (enable both boxes) but I haven't verified it myself. I never needed to as it always worked with the default TADST settings.

OMG guys please download this: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192925-advanced-urban-rappelling/

And his normal Advanced Rappelling mod and let's cross our fingers it all plays nicely together. It looks so outstanding and supports AI. :)

Duda is the man! I'll be testing this tonight!

Hi Heroes,

Latest SITREP.................

I am happy to say, with all your help, I have just spent an enjoyable 2 hours or so playing this mission, with persistent save etc and now it all works like a dream.

Thank you.

P.S.  Just noticed your latest update. If I paste the new PBO over the old will this break the persistent save that I use ?. I presume so.

My AI team mates didn't spawn with me on reload server they just vanished, and I didn't find them at my base. Is this correct ?

• Like 1

As a general rule, I restart my mission with every update. You do this by changing the mission name. The mission name is what War Room stores your progress with. I tend to just use numbers (so Prophet1.Reshmaam.PBO, then Prophet2.Reshmaan.PBO, etc but use whatever works for you. No spaces though. Either smush words together or use underscores).

Honestly though, I *doubt* it would be necessary to restart but it's possible a PBO with new objects could cause issues. I'll see if I can get clarification from the ALiVE team on this.

Your recruited AI will not persist. Only human players will so this is normal. I like to save my game when I'm in a good spot (one of my bases, usually). To properly save, ALWAYS login as admin (I like to do this at mission start in the role select screen. You do this by pressing / #login password and then click enter. Your password being the one you set in TADST) and then "Server Save and Exit." If you're hosting for friends, have them "Player Save and Exit" before you log off. Then you, as the admin, uses "Server Save and Exit."

The update was very small so don't stress it. I'd say just keep going with the one you have until I get an answer. The only thing I added was HEMTT vehicles which you can access with High Command (left ctrl + space). Consider it a quality of life update and nothing more.

Though if you ever want to try adding Duda's mods and seeing how that goes, that would be cool! *Fingers crossed they work ok* They go on client and sever and sound awesome!

Anyway, I'll see if I can find out what a good rule of thumb is for starting missions over.

Just a quick headsup. If using TADST, please don't use the Peristent Battlefield or Auto Init options. Doing so I noticed caused transport choppers to lose their "talk to pilot option," amongst other oddities when loading/joining a mission.

The new ASR AI is pretty sweet. My squad leader (AuTigerGrad) just put it up on his server for the amazing Border Patrol: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192072-alive-coop-20-border-patrol/

And the enemy AI was lovely. Thinking I may add that as a recommended but not required mod. Robalo continues to do a very good job. As did AuTigerGrad (as always :) ) with his fantastic mission.

Good afternoon, everyone. I just pushed through another quality of life update. This brings in the ability to use high command vehicles (example: a medical vehicle so you can call it in and heal when stuck far away from base), and also some minor adjustments which are listed in the changelog. I've balanced some resource management in a way so the player puts a bit more emphasis on protecting their available assets (this was much needed). I've also cleaned up the main base by removing all of the solders that were stuck in ambient animations (and couldn't defend themselves) and replaced them with actual "living and breathing" soldiers instead.

ASR AI is now recommended (but not required). Been messing around with it the last few nights and it's really really superb.

Hi Heroes! Big thanks for this mission :) Have you got a good config for ASR AI that you could share and also I like these style missions, but want to know the best way to play these missions? Any chance you could do some vids of you playing. I know the last request is a big ask, but would be great.

Many Thanks again for this and your hard work :)

• Like 1

Hi Wilco Charlie! Thanks for the kind words!

I generally don't like to muck around too much with userconfig files unless it's absolutely necessary. I actually really like the default ASR AI settings, which has an added bonus of not requiring -filepatching which is great because, you know....less mucking. :) My unit (OS Tactical. Squad leader being the great AuTigerGrad) uses vanilla ASR AI for our group server as well and we all adore it the way it is. So I guess I can't recommend any adjustments.

LOL on the whole video thing. I've actually debated doing this with Shadowplay or whatnot but I've also never really done it before. I'm not a particularly good player so I don't think it would add much strategic value, and my total lack of anything interesting or funny to say would mean it wouldn't have any entertainment value either.

So pretty much like everything else on YouTube then! :)

I'll think it over. No promises but I agree in all seriousness at the very least it could help people new to ALiVE get a general sense of "how to play."

That said, if you want to watch me completely sucking...and hard to understand because Sony Golds have a lousy mic...rumor has it...

If you dig deep enough into the dark side of the Internet....

Some videos of me playing actually do exist. I think I may have provided enough info within this post for you to take a crack at finding some but I need to stop here because I've said too much already. :(

Mission-wise, I have an update planned either today or tomorrow. I'm adding a new 3CB base on the southern airfield and spruced up a few of the other existing ones as well. Assuming I don't break anything, I should have it up soon.

Oh wow. I misread your post a little bit. You want some advice for how to play. Sure thing. BRB. Let me write something up.

Ok. So the first thing to keep in mind is the overall mission goal: Your job as a member of the British Armed Forces is to rid Reshmaan Province of Taliban, and to destroy all of their resources. The land has been taken from the Afghan people and your task is to eliminate the threat. Civilian casualties are to be kept at a minimum, otherwise you'll upset the locals and they can join the insurgent cause. Some civilians are already sympathetic to the Taliban, so you also need to be cautious of suicide bomb attacks and the locals arming themselves while you try to complete your objective.

How I like to play really depends on how much time I have on a given night. And keep in mind I use persistence with ALiVE's War Room so I can save and load my progress. Generally when the mission starts, especially on my first run, I'll gear up at base and wait a few minutes for Intel to pop up on the map. If some Intel shows up (for example, some Taliban installations), I'll mark them all with ALiVE Advanced Markers (left ctrl + alt + left click), and depending on how far away it is, I'll plan my task for the night from there.

*Some things to keep in mind before planning your goal for the session: The Taliban have rocket launchers and will make long distance chopper trips a relatively bad idea depending on how hot the zone is. If your transport chopper gets shot down, you'll have to wait 30 minutes for it to respawn and for the entire mission, you only get 6 chopper respawns so you need to plan your insertions wisely. Vehicles are also limited, so you still need to be mindful, but they are also more plentiful.

So let's say an installation pops up and it's sort of near by. I'll grab some AI at the recruitment center, get some explosives, a mine detector from the Arsenal, a laser designator to be able to call on Logistics, and get ready to rock and roll. If I'm short on time, I'll make clearing that one installation my objective for the night. If I have lot of time, I'll patrol and clear every village on my way to the installation. For the rest of the example, let's pretend I have a good amount of time to play.

Most towns will have a civilian presence. Especially ones clear of Taliban. Civilians hold key Intel that can reveal enemy placement on the map for you. They also like you more the more you make your presence known so patrolling is really a win-win. So on the way to my task, I'll stop at every town and talk to every civ (with the action menu). I'll also search them and confiscate any weapons or explosives if any are found.

*Note: On the map, you'll notice red grid. These are areas where it's most likely for Taliban to spawn. When clearing an area, notice how the red grid turns green. For basic patrol, I try to turn all red grid green before moving onto the next village.

So after I've patrolled the areas on my way to my objective (the Taliban installation), I'll do my best to assess how hot the installation area is. On the map you'll sometimes see friendly units in the area. If I see this, I usually drive pretty close. If I don't, I'll park the car somewhere safe and do a little recon.

What I like to do is observe the installation area from a distance. This is where I assess the threat level. If it's hot, I'll call in some reinforcements. This can be done in two ways. 1. In the commander tablet (app key by default), then Commander Actions, Operations, then click on the nearby unit and change its waypoints. 2. Or you can request reinforcements by using the Logistics option in the Commander Tablet, and then requesting some units get dropped either by air or by convoy.

Once I feel pretty comfortable the Taliban threat has been thinned way down, I usually call in Close Air Support to cover me as I check dead bodies for Intel, search the buildings in the installation area, and blow up the installation itself with my charges.

After a mission well done, if I feel the area is a key objective, I'll call on some friendly troops hold it so the Taliban can't easily take it back later on. I'll either then request transport to fly us back to base, or I'll recover my vehicle and either keep going, or find a good place to server save and exit and pat myself on the back for a mission well done.

ALiVE is an amazing accomplishment. This example is just one of many ways you can play. Sometimes I'll just do recon for a few hours and mark areas to clear during future sessions. Other times I'll just patrol and talk to civs. Sometimes I won't recruit any AI and I'll just tag along with a friendly AI group for a bit. Or sometimes I'll even request a structured task from the Commander Tablet, like an HVT task or something, when I fancy doing something different for a change of pace. There's no right or wrong way to play. You have one over-arching mission to rid Reshmaan Province of Taliban, but how you accomplish that goal is 100% up to you. ALiVE Insurgencies are a playground and I encourage you and everyone else to experiment and find what's fun for you. :)

Thank you so much for your time and detailed explanation. I too play alone and just wanted to get a feel for how someone else plays these missions.

I watch GameDev Byrne on youtube and like the style of play, but never quite get that same vibe when playing my missions.

You are an asset to these forums and can't wait for future missions :)

• Like 1

Hey I appreciate the compliments! :) If you can think of any videos from Gamedev Byrne feel free to link them (in a spoiler tag so people don't get confused). I'd love to see what he's up to.

As far as future missions go, I actually have one on FATA ready to roll (it's been ready for awhile actually, minus some decorating which I've just finished. But with AuTigerGrad's Border Patrol being out , which is awesome, I didn't feel any need to rush) and also just started an ISIS insurgency on Diyala Province, Iraq.

So I just pushed an update too. Highlights include a new FOB on the southern airfield, FOB Olivia. All of the other bases have been redecorated, as well as renamed. Full changelog in the first post.