ducksonshrooms

Recommendation for dedicated server/server host?

Hi, hopefully this is posted to the right section of the forum.

I wanted to look into getting a dedicated server suitable for hosting a TS, an ARMA 3 server and possibly a website.

For a while we've been hosting through my friends computer and it isn't suitable for our needs anymore.

However I know nothing about how to shop for dedicated servers, I don't know which providers have the best performance to price ratio and service and stuff, so I come here asking for people with experience to help.

I don't mind splerging on the price TOO much, (hopefully not more than 150 bucks but I don't know anything about dedicated server costs, so who knows maybe I'm in for a surprise) I just want everyone to play at a good framerate and with a good connection.

The location doesn't matter but most of our players are in America and I don't know how much having a EU server would effect performance, but if it doesn't effect performance at all than that would be fine.

For now I only have 20-25 people to provide for, but it may bump up to 40-50, so hopefully it would be really decent.

Thanks for any recommendations or answers you can provide.

I have had my TS through NFO servers ever since A2 and haven't had any issues at all with it..they have game servers as well.

I just recently opened up a new game server using Fox Gaming Servers haven't done much on it yet but so far seems pretty decent and the price is very reasonable.

I know some places offer specials on combos as well.

Diesel

I'm hosting at www.gameservers.com. I've never done anything server-wise before, but I think it was easy to get in to with good guides and ok support. About 15USD for a 8 slot A3 server + a 10 slot TS a month. Recomended imo.

Anyone interested in a host server should check out jestservers.com before settling for anything else. I've used him for years and the service is great.

Fire

hello there !

i wish to have a little help on a simple problem:
where arma3 store the NON-dedicated server mission list?

...because i have soo many unused old missions in this list... i deleted the folders but they still appear in the multiplayer --> host  missions list!

thanks!

Have you considered a home server if your speeds permit?, Im looking into the same thing for a small group and saw a i7-2600 8gb ram as a cheap method, but im not sure it would work?

I dig that thread, because i want to rent a server for my Friends and me and have som Questions about that.

I known from my old days that ArmA Server Hosting has some trouble and only root/dedicated server was sufficient for that, because Game Server Hosters tend to overbook there Racks and restrict your access to the Server so you mostly can't run a full fledged CTI on it. Is that still a thing?

also the servers gets regular restarts, what i wanted to avoid for resuming coops and long run CTIs.

Another questions i have:

Is the dual Core only still a Thing? So i have to get a high clocking CPU? Or get they the Threading finally right so i can utilize a multi core Server?

Is there already an AI memory improvement made? Last time i run a Single player CTI it was crippled down after a while because of that (which was usual for Desktop running CTI server back then) but even the Server based CTIs tend to cripple down after a while and wasn't playable around Midgame. i known that this depends on AI Settings and most public server shut down AI for that reason, but i want AI up to 24 if i like.

/€: I work me through the HC wiki right now...i can run per slot 1 HC client if i want? sounds good.

How big is the Storage usage of the Server. I Known that a ArmA 3 Installation can pumping up to some GB due to Mods and such. Is this on a Server side also a thing?

Yes, i known that dedicated Server hosting means part wise a serious amount of work/learning. or should i restart with a small GSP server and later then upgrading?

I aim at the moment for a 12 Player private pw secured server without regular reboot (only if i wanted it so). Or a ded root server with ftp access for modding or is that not necessary?

Hey I'm looking for a dedicated server as well... nothing too big no need for 40 plus slots but the provider needs to provide extensive custom mod control to the Owner.  

I've tried two companies already vilayer and gameservers... both lacked the proper mod support I needed and wasted my time...  Any suggestions on heavily modded host providers? 

24 minutes ago, dystopian said:

Any suggestions on heavily modded host providers? 

The best option for modded gameplay and/or performance optimisation is still, in my opinion, to have a dedicated server on what you can do everything you want. There is a lot of dedicated server providers, but the only one I can tell you about is OVH, the provider of our team. They provides very high speed connexion, extended support for nearly any OS, and you take advantage from the numerous DDOS/security protections already in place. The anti-DDOS can be a problem when using a virtual machine (e.g. VMWare solutions, as we do) to host your A3 server, but everything is configurable with nearly no propagation time. So on one hand, you have a very flexible solution and the ability to do whatever you want with your dedi, but on the other hand this option require a considerable amount of time and various skills in computing and networking to set up.