therealslimsatan

Ambient animations not working in MP

Hello, I recently posted this album http://imgur.com/a/YgxIo, containing a few images showing AI Idle/Ambient animations, now these animations work fine in single player, however when I use it as a multiplayer mission the AI just stand there as they normally would without any changes to the init. I used this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78siOse51Ng Anybody have any ideas?

Having a quick read into those, I couldn't find anything specific about animations in remoteExec and the BIS_fnc_MP appears to be out dated, I dont suppose you know the specific syntax for an animation with remoteExec? Thanks for the help

create a function in init.sqf that does your animation stuff e.g

my_function = {_this select 0 switchMove _this select 1;};

then since its created on all machines you can use remoteExec to tell all clients to run the function with the specified parameters (in this case a unit and a string that contains the animation name) sent through with remoteExec.

e.g

[myUnit,"my-Animation"] remoteExec ["my_function"]; 
  • Like 1

[YourUnit,'WATCH1','ASIS'] remoteExec ['BIS_fnc_ambientAnim',0,true];

From my experience it's necessary to execute it again for every player that joins, that's why the last parameter is set to TRUE

• Like 2

I am still continuously having issues.  I tried everything thing i can think of including options in this thread.R3vo curious if you have this working in the next update to 3DEN enhanced or not. Either way does anyone have a tip to get this to work. Here is what i need.

I need Ai units to be in the "lean" position. They DONT need to switch to combat mode if they come under fire. They are simply window dressing at this point. They just need to be in lean animation for ambience. I need it to work for MP so that players joining the server see the same behavior. I used to be able to get this to work. 

I am still continuously having issues.  I tried everything thing i can think of including options in this thread.R3vo curious if you have this working in the next update to 3DEN enhanced or not. Either way does anyone have a tip to get this to work. Here is what i need.

I need Ai units to be in the "lean" position. They DONT need to switch to combat mode if they come under fire. They are simply window dressing at this point. They just need to be in lean animation for ambience. I need it to work for MP so that players joining the server see the same behavior. I used to be able to get this to work. 

I don't see a reason why that should work, except there was a change to either BIS_fnc_ambien... or remoteExec.

There seems to be something wrong, ambient animations don't work for me neither.

• Like 1

I don't see a reason why that should work, except there was a change to either BIS_fnc_ambien... or remoteExec.

There seems to be something wrong, ambient animations don't work for me neither.

Thanks for the heads up R3vo. Glad to know its not just me.

This post up. This could be fine if a BI developer provides some hints about this problem.

It's impossible to have a complete animation remote executed. Why? What is the limitation? Does this impact other commands such setCaptive?

Probably need to do this this way:

[[YourUnit, "WATCH1", "ASIS"], BIS_fnc_ambientAnim] remoteExec ["call", 0, true];
  • Like 1

Probably need to do this this way:

[[YourUnit, "WATCH1", "ASIS"], BIS_fnc_ambientAnim] remoteExec ["call", 0, true];

Not really, the way I posted works fine.

See the example on the wiki page

// <params> spawn fnc_someScriptedFunction; <params> remoteExec ["fnc_someScriptedFunction", targets, JIP];

Using this code   [U1, "REPAIR_VEH_KNEEL", "ASIS"] call BIS_fnc_ambientAnim;  with the unit variable name being U1 it still doesn't work on a dedicated server. It works if I host but not one a traditional server. What can I do to get it to work?

I have even tried this  [this, "REPAIR_VEH_STAND", "ASIS"] call BIS_fnc_ambientAnim;   with the same result.

As R3vo said, remoteExec it and don't forget JIP. The fact is if you omit JIP, the JIP will see a standing unit with no animation. If you make it JIP, the animation will be desync with the server... It's a choice.

• Sad 1

don't use BIS_fnc_MP it's old and slow. 

On 5/21/2017 at 5:30 AM, pierremgi said:

If you make it JIP, the animation will be desync with the server.

This is true, but it does not seem to be of utter importance since for now it only seems to be a leaning position.

Might it be, that the way remoteExec now accepts commands has changes, requiring additional config setup to get it to work?

I.e. needing to setup a whitelist via CfgRemoteExec, as described here on the BIKI?

And I just found this little bit of information on the BIKI, regarding BIS_fnc_ambientAnim:

To make this command working in MP (hosted server tested)

[this,"SIT2"] call BIS_fnc_ambientAnim; // Wrong! the first JIP will throw the unit to position [0,0,0]
if (isServer) then {[this,"SIT2"] call BIS_fnc_ambientAnim} // Wrong! only player located on server will see the animation
if (isServer) then { [[this,"SIT2"],BIS_fnc_ambientAnim ] remoteExec ["call"] }; OK 

Maybe you should try that approach, using a call statement. Although the outcome should not be any different, really...

EDIT: @pierremgi, I just noticed that you put up that note yourself, one year ago. Disregard the above :D

Edited by Mokka

@Mokka if you read as to what CfgRemoteExec does, it's to whitelist/blacklist which commands can be executed via remoteExec. That wouldn't change anything. 

Yes, it would change a lot, if the way it is handled has been changed as of the latest update...

Be default, white- and blacklisting is disabled, meaning all functions, commands and scripts can be remoteExec'd without any additional setup.

If CfgRemoteExec now is set to blacklist everything be default (a reasonable step to increase security by default, without requiring any setup), this would cause a lot of issues...

But thank you for your valuable input, Midnighters.

• Like 1

@Mokka Of course, that is not what I'm saying at all. 

What I am saying is that adding the function to the CfgRemoteExec would not change the execution at all.

It would merely allow it to be the only command/function allowed to be executed with RemoteExec.

I understand the usage, security is unrelated at the moment. 

• Like 1

Hi, i have some trubles at making ambientanimations, i do everything think i have to do ([man1,"LEAN","NONE"] call BIS_fnc_ambientAnim;) and when i start the mission it appears a black rectangle with white leters, and it says:

'...pons_holder";

private_countWeapons = [#]count_weapons;

private_countWeaponsHo1...

Error count: Number Type, is not number, wayting for vector, chain,config entry

I dont know anything about scripts, so some help would be appreciated.