Shift

How to improve visibility range?

Have you tried all this in Singleplayer and/or from just previewing the mission in the editor?

I remember there used to be a preview button in the editor when i played arma earlier but i cant find it now

I remember there used to be a preview button in the editor when i played arma earlier but i cant find it now

picard-facepalm.gif

Set a unit as 'player' (double click the unit and look for a check-box). Then look in the bottom right hand corner of the screen (it says either 'Play' or 'Preview Scenario', something like that).

Ok, i tried it and for some reason the same mission with the same weather settings and video settings produces different resultes when saved as multiplayer or singleplayer. In singleplayer i get full visibility, i can see all of Stratis when i fly the plane, but in multiplayer when everything is the same i get what you see on the screenshots above. So the question is now how to achieve same visibility in multiplayer?

Mate,this issue is mission retaled, just loaded it with 12000 view distance and this what I get.

R2hKfAf.jpg

And it is weird, because in mission  startup paramaters view distance is set to 4000.

NacDAGh.jpg

Also, looking at mission file we can see that these view distance and weather (fog) settings are made through scripts.

The best thing for you is to go here:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/175750-spmp-zertys-modification-of-benny-edition-cti/

And ask to mission maker, how you can change that.

Finally :) I knew this made no sense. But it still does not explain why this is happening even in custom multiplayer  missions he has made.

Yes, i would like to know how to get more visibility in my multiplayer missions and how to get even those 4km out of BECTI mission

Well mate, not preteding to replace the mission maker, but inside the Pbo you have  2 .sqf files named "DynamicWeatherEffects" and "randomWeather2".

With "DynamicWeatherEffects" you can set your preferences in matters of weather (fog) effects, overcast, etc. Just set it according to your personal preference.

But the best thing for you is to go at mission maker thread and ask him how these changes can be made.

Just create a logic (F5 -> Logic Entities -> Objects -> Game Logic) and write following code into the init field: "setViewDistance 6500" (without the quotation marks). Press ok.

If you now preview your mulitplayer mission you (and all the other clients) will have a forced view distance of 6500 meters.
Just take a look into following page: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setViewDistance

I hope I was able to help you with your problem.

Best regards

Since the update 1.56.134739 I seem to have the same/similar problem.. No matter how I set the view distance, it always stays the same.
This picture is on the server EUTW which should have a view distance of about 2800m or so, but for me it's the minimum of 500 while I have it maxed out in video options.

When I play on Sa-Matra's KOTH I am able to increase the view distance through the KOTH ingame menu, however my settings at video options still don't have any effect.

I have tried re-installing arma, deleted my profile etc (including mp mission files) but I haven't come across any solution..

9AD9EE3A2301C3134FBD90950380DF0B48D3A236

EDIT:

It's very weird.. when I tried eden editor to see if I had the same problem as in multiplayer servers it looked like it was the case at first.
2531D68F48C7A2710B5A4A0A5FC46B8690517A0C

But when I loaded in as a player, something happened and my view distance had gone up.. (I turned back to editor and took this screenshot)

8078CF262BBE263F099106C8E222437FF1761F78

I was having this exact issue and was able to stumble across a solution. In multiplayer, if you are using MCC Edit (meaning you have it installed), scroll wheel and select it. Then update your visibility setting to whatever you want and it will push that fog up to 12km back. MCC Edit apparently overrides Arma's settings while in multiplayer. If you do not have MCC Edit installed then obviously this fix will not help you.

simple.

you are in multiplayer. Default viewdistance in local host is 1500ish.

It seems to be something to do with Flying; you can have max visibility in the editor & see for miles, then when you play the same mission as coop Jets on a server you are in the Fog goldfish bowl of about 1.5k. Will have to ask Bis why.

I´m totally out of the loop here, but has anyone of you guys considered asking for serverside viewdistance? :dontgetit:

And as for "setFeatureType" (which is a totally differenty building site), addon incoming ;)

you can set custom view distances for MP missions. Though without doing so it automatically will set it somewhere just under 2000 for performance. you can go here http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27390 and place the CHVD files in your mission folder. I had the same issue running drone ops with friends. they were great in the editor because I could max the view distance but once I exported to MP it would be under 2000ish. This script allows you to set your View distance for when you are on foot in a car or in the air. Enjoy.

Basically if you want to fly Jets get a flight simulator :down:

The max distance in fast jets in A3 seem to be 1.5k even if the Dedicated Server view distance is set to 3k forced.

Must say also disappointed with the New Jets weapons, with air to ground you have to be right on top to get a lock.

Aircraft carrier is a very nice addition, but pity about the view distance once you are in the air.

Will try the CH view distance mod..... Tks Rabbit.

Tried the CH view distance mod test mission; think there might be a conflict with the new jets action menu. Now no option to open the CH panel in the "action" just see the new "Right Panel next" & "Right Panel Mode"

You can actually adjust with Ctrl & the [ & the ] keys.

I tried that & it Did not work  I changed the CH key setting to "shift V" & that worked.

Just now, jgaz-uk said:

I tried that & it Did not work  I changed the CH key setting to "shift V" & that worked.

Hmm. STrange. I have had no issues with it after the 1.70 update. Glad it is working for you though. It really is a game changer. 12000 looks amazing when you are really up there. I have been loving the UCAV. 

Yes on some of the older smaller maps (Utes) it works a treat! thanks for that.

Don't know how the frame rate would be affected using it on on say Altis or Tanoa.

2 hours ago, jgaz-uk said:

Yes on some of the older smaller maps (Utes) it works a treat! thanks for that.

Don't know how the frame rate would be affected using it on on say Altis or Tanoa.

I myself mostly make missions for a max of four players. So long as you have decent "garbage collection' and cleanup going on in your mission(and given that you have a decent processor) it doesnt hit too hard. I am working on trying to get all lights to be able to be seen at that distance as well. For some reason vehicle headlights do not render at the same distance as environment lights do. Head scratcher. I have messed a bit with light attenuation but to no avail without having them look ridiculous when you are on standing next to them.

The view distance issue is not mission related, weather or fog related.

If you load a mission in the server browser or 3d MULTIPLAYER editor it's the server that sets the view distance.

Which will default to 1500m I think.

Either use the debug console if enabled and use "setviewdistance 25000" or edit the init.sqf and set your viewdistance there.

Cheers

Try hitting the 'Autodetect' tab at the bottom of each of the video option screens to see if your system knows what's best for it.