mudpi

HTC Vive and ARMA?

Hi all,

Has anyone heard whether the Vive is configurable in a way similar to the rift? and whether it will work with Arma? (hot topic with pre-orders opening).

Thnks

Mud

We'll be waiting for the answer about it! Bohemia, give us nice news about that, please!!! Over!!! Go, go, go!

Thanks!

Enviado desde la Cantina de la Estrella de la Muerte.

I'd like an answer to this too... i have a shiny new VIVE in my hands and i have no idea how to get it working with A3....?

• Like 1

Please let us know your first impression rock!

I'm leaning towards Vive myself due to better FOV and the camera (as well as OR intrusive/walled garden! software needed to use it) but need to know if it's possible to somehow get it working in A3 before I buy. Other than A3 I plan to use it with DCS that have OR/Vive support already (beta).

Here is two reviews of Vive if anyone are interested...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10221/htc-vive-launch-day-news-first-impressions

http://www.pcgamer.com/htc-vive-review/

Edit: Just catched this...

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-rift-exclusives-may-be-playable-on-vive-with-this-trick/

Who knows, maybe BIS have a big VR surprise in Apex ;)

/KC

Please let us know your first impression rock!

I'm actually generally pretty impressed with the features and gameplay but I am disappointed with the practical resolution.   The hype has it 2160x1200 the practical reality that its not that resolution that you see.  Ive not seen many people take this up in reviews but it is annoying especially when you are used to reading small text etc.

Best comparison table I've found http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive/

Best actual objective review ive seen:  

I've used both the production and dev versions of Occulas Rift and the Vive.  The Vive beats it hands down for me.  The gameplay on the VR games is very cool.  Its a good way to get fit while playing computer games.

Ive spent about 20 hours in Elite Dangerous with it now.  Very cool, makes the game a lot better.  Situational awareness, immersion etc all huge improvement but its a pain reading some of the displays due to the resolution.  DCS is kind of halfway between ED and "TrackIR" enabled games.  It doesnt have the pop-out 3d that ED has.  But it does atleast allow you to play using the headset in the same way you would use TrackIT.  If ArmA could work in the same way I'd actually be pretty happy.

BUT I've not yet found a way to play ArmA in VR.  I can play it on the big VR screen but its not worth it.  You will have a better experience on your monitor. 

I'll write a blog post on it at some point but i am still experimenting right now.

• Like 1

I'm not anticipating VR at all with ARMA unless there's a breakthrough with fps. (which aint likely)

I'm not anticipating VR at all with ARMA unless there's a breakthrough with fps. (which aint likely)

Honestly considering the min gpu spec needed for VR and lower resolution in the VIVE and Rift i dont think its an issue. But I'm not the best person to test with i do have a really good spec machine.

Honestly considering the min gpu spec needed for VR and lower resolution in the VIVE and Rift i dont think its an issue. But I'm not the best person to test with i do have a really good spec machine.

2160 x 1200 is not a low resolution to render, especially taking into consideration that you need an absolute minimum of 90FPS to make VR comfortable. This means that even if Bohemia were to spend development time on incorporating proper VR support, doing anything than walking around in Virtual Arsenal or worlds without AI would give you sickness inducing frame rate drops. Official VR support is not going to happen with the current engine.

...you need an absolute minimum of 90FPS to make VR comfortable.

I'm pretty sure it will be fine with lower fps. I tried a OR DK2 in DCS a while ago and it was much less than 90 fps.

IIRC it was around ~45-50 fps and that frame rate is more than possible in A3 if you have the right HW.

Felt OK for me when flying around in the Huey at tree top height but of course YMMV.

/KC

Hi guys,

I don't really want to increase any expectation but I know that the development team of ARMA 3 owns the HTC Vive.

Maybe there will be a native VR support in the future or maybe not.

Best regards

• Like 1

2160 x 1200 is not a low resolution to render, especially taking into consideration that you need an absolute minimum of 90FPS to make VR comfortable. This means that even if Bohemia were to spend development time on incorporating proper VR support, doing anything than walking around in Virtual Arsenal or worlds without AI would give you sickness inducing frame rate drops. Official VR support is not going to happen with the current engine.

Have you actually tried the Vive?

If you haven't I'd seriously suggest you try it first.  The practical resolution you actually see is nowhere near 2160x1200.  The image is a composite, so while each screen is 2160x1200 the actual apparent image is, in games like ED or DCS a much lower apparent resolution.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I don't really want to increase any expectation but I know that the development team of ARMA 3 owns the HTC Vive.

Maybe there will be a native VR support in the future or maybe not.

Best regards

Oh... Yes, please, please...

Enviado desde la Cantina de la Estrella de la Muerte.

If you haven't I'd seriously suggest you try it first.  The practical resolution you actually see is nowhere near 2160x1200.  The image is a composite, so while each screen is 2160x1200 the actual apparent image is, in games like ED or DCS a much lower apparent resolution.

I want to confirm this state. The big difference of HTC Vive screen from monitor screen (I have not tried Oculus Rift though) is that the actual screen area of Vive's screen which is in focus is too small. You can see a big area on Vive screen but you cannot read any text on side of the screen. To read the text on side you have to rotate your head to bring the picture to the center of the screen. Otherwise it will be blurred. This problem is absent on computer monitor. You can read text from any part of the monitor screen just using your eyes and without moving your head.

• Like 1

Yes, you need 2x the same picture (minus the difference of the visual angle of each eye) so the real resolution of the rift and the vive is 1080x1200. I wager the 90fps-minimum-story is marketing to let the crowd think: hey, the poor resolution is a good thing so my pc can handle the 90fps in some games. I hope the vive too will be able to get it work in arma3. Here is a similar thread of a rift owner :)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/190059-arma-in-vr-oculusvive-omnivirtualizer-gun-controller/

• Like 1

Htc vive support DCS world now. One can drive plane and look around by turning the head. So i believe that arma3 will support it only if VR becomes more and more popular

have you guys considered, that arma could even benefit from vr headset, even without stereoscopic rendering?

so obviously you wouldn't get true VR, but i guess it could still be very immersive with the head tracking. additionally it would require less coding, to make it work (it could basically plug into the trackIR interface) and of course it wouldn't need more computing power than normal. the lack of stereoscopic rendering could also mean, that cou could play with much less than 90fps without getting sick.

don't get me wrong, i hope, that one day we'll see arma 3 oder 4 with true VR, but due to the engine limitation, i think "monoscopic VR" could be a decent intermediate solution, until the next engine iteration can decently handle the 90fps stereoscopic...

have you guys considered, that arma could even benefit from vr headset, even without stereoscopic rendering?

so obviously you wouldn't get true VR, but i guess it could still be very immersive with the head tracking. additionally it would require less coding, to make it work (it could basically plug into the trackIR interface) and of course it wouldn't need more computing power than normal. the lack of stereoscopic rendering could also mean, that cou could play with much less than 90fps without getting sick.

don't get me wrong, i hope, that one day we'll see arma 3 oder 4 with true VR, but due to the engine limitation, i think "monoscopic VR" could be a decent intermediate solution, until the next engine iteration can decently handle the 90fps stereoscopic...

At this stage i'd welcome head tracking only.

Hi

I am using VORPX with Arma 3 and HTC vive.

It works.

I am banging my head in the wall though as i cannot find a good balance in settings. I get extremely naucious after less than 30 seconds.

With my settings, it is un-useable...

Anyone else had better luck?

Hi

I am using VORPX with Arma 3 and HTC vive.

It works.

I am banging my head in the wall though as i cannot find a good balance in settings. I get extremely naucious after less than 30 seconds.

With my settings, it is un-useable...

Anyone else had better luck?

"Forgot to check Notify me of replies"