Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

I can't tomorrow, I'm away for most of the day.

I could go myself today, buy I'm a bit lazy. :) I could of course... Maybe I will.

And my parents had to go to the supermarket today anyhow.

There was no need for me to go with them.

And I don't have a driver's license... Yeah, I know, I keep postponing it.

And I don't know if you have to be at a certain age to buy Ethanol.

You don't normally need any chemicals to clean the old paste. Some gentle rubbing with any clean lint-free cloth should be enough.

In some countries you still need to be 18-21 or something to buy Ethanol, even if it's denatured so you can't drink it.

WTF, I just played some Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and, when I check Core Temp; All 4 cores reached 100°C.

How in the world is that possible, is it faulty?

I know it's the stock cooler, but this is just way too high.

I think I'm gonna contact Intel about this.

Do you think I should RMA it?

Or do you think a BIOS update might help?

EDIT:

I redid the Windows Experience Index, and, somewhere near the end, this happened:

34hhnkl.png

Something ain't right.

I think I have a faulty one.

Or could it be the mobo? How can I find out whether it's the mobo or the CPU?

But, seeing that there are a shitload of results to be found on Google talking about how hot these Haswell's can run, (and also read something about that there might be faulty batches...), it most likely is the CPU I imagine.

Gonna update my BIOS, see if that works.

Edited by Massey_sd

Try HWINFO and check if your cores get throttled.

Also check your Temps with RealTemp.

Don't OC with the Stock-Cooler, as it's not good enough !

:)

Try HWINFO and check if your cores get throttled.

Also check your Temps with RealTemp.

Don't OC with the Stock-Cooler, as it's not good enough !

You know, I wonder whether it's my Mobo.

Because I can't update my BIOS.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-HERO/E9192_Maximus_Vii_Hero.pdf

If you go to page 73 of that link, it says that there should be a flashing light; but I didn't see anything.

And, I just checked my BIOS version in Windows using the "msinfo32" command, and, it's still the same.

So, could it be my Mobo that is faulty?

And I didn't OC anything.

EDIT, gonna try and update my BIOS in Windows, although, there being no flashing light indicates there might be something wrong with my motherboard.

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Well, I just updated my BIOS, it worked...

Didn't change anything about the temperatures...

But, now I notice in the program "Core Temp," that "Usage," Below "Tj. Max" is around 10.6 - 11 watts."

And before the update, it was only 1.1 watts or something.

5pk8s5.png

Doing Windows Experience Index again, and, the usage goes up to 45 watts, and temps almost as high as 100°C, just like last time.

Edited by Massey_sd

You know, I wonder whether it's my Mobo.

Because I can't update my BIOS.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-HERO/E9192_Maximus_Vii_Hero.pdf

If you go to page 73 of that link, it says that there should be a flashing light; but I didn't see anything.

And, I just checked my BIOS version in Windows using the "msinfo32" command, and, it's still the same.

So, could it be my Mobo that is faulty?

And I didn't OC anything.

EDIT, gonna try and update my BIOS in Windows, although, there being no flashing light indicates there might be something wrong with my motherboard.

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Well, I just updated my BIOS, it worked...

Didn't change anything about the temperatures...

But, now I notice in the program "Core Temp," that "Usage," Below "Tj. Max" is around 10.6 - 11 watts."

And before the update, it was only 1.1 watts or something.

http://i60.tinypic.com/5pk8s5.png

Doing Windows Experience Index again, and, the usage goes up to 45 watts, and temps almost as high as 100°C, just like last time.

The Power-Thingy only tells you the actual Power-Usage, which depends on your load.

Beside that you have to re-adjust your Multiplicator etc. in your Bios. Don't forget your XMP-Thingy also.

After that do some kind of Stress-Test and have a look how the temps are now.

Have another look at HWINFO and if it shows you Thermal Throttling (just start it with Sensors only).

Edited by TONSCHUH

BTW, I do have some good news regarding my Memory.

When I first did Helo's benchmark, called Arma3Mark, I had 31 FPS on Stratis, and 22 FPS on Altis. And in BIOS, at the time, my 1866MHz (XMP) memory which I still have, was running at 1333MHz, and XMP not Enabled.

And now, after enabling XMP and upping the RAM to 1866MHz, Stratis runs at 42FPS, and Altis 38.

Pretty darn nice. :D

And I still have much faster RAM on the way...

Curious about the gain in FPS when I have that installed. :)

BTW, I do have some good news regarding my Memory.

When I first did Helo's benchmark, called Arma3Mark, I had 31 FPS on Stratis, and 22 FPS on Altis. And in BIOS, at the time, my 1866MHz (XMP) memory which I still have, was running at 1333MHz, and XMP not Enabled.

And now, after enabling XMP and upping the RAM to 1866MHz, Stratis runs at 42FPS, and Altis 38.

Pretty darn nice. :D

And I still have much faster RAM on the way...

Curious about the gain in FPS when I have that installed. :)

The difference between 1333MHz and 2400MHz is quite noticable everything above is not as spectacular, but you should still gain some fps. Another thing is, that 1866MHz is the bare minimum for Haswell, because everything slower is bottlenecking your CPU.

Haswell Benchmarks Show that High Speed RAM gives Performance Boost in Gaming

EDIT: What should I choose here?

2vj27o7.png

Well, I just went for Disable.

Edited by Massey_sd

Good, keep us informed about that :)

Why dont try pressing Autodetect and see what the Arma Engine thinks about your Horsepower? ^^

Real helpful, would have never thought of that.

Now, seriously, when it is selected it loads up all the settings to max, and get around 25-30FPS. Now, has anyone come up with tweaks that perform better than the auto's to get things at least up to the 40's or so? I can drop the AA and the like that does a decent job, but looking to see what others might be thinking as well.

EDIT: What should I choose here?

http://i57.tinypic.com/2vj27o7.png

Well, I just went for Disable.

Just continue.

Edit: I'm off now, as I have unfortunately wake-up early for work. Will be back after my work or so.

Edited by TONSCHUH

Alright, I ran Prime95, the first option, "Small FFT's" or something like that, and temps went up to 100°C.

Ah screw it, gonna wait for my new cooler, and then see what happens.

But I kinda doubt it's gonna make a lot of difference.

Even when I'm not doing anything, the temps are around 44°C-48°C...

There's probably something wrong, it's either my mobo, or it's the CPU.

Edited by Massey_sd

Man, be easy, there is nothing wrong with your system. It´s just the shit cooler, i build systems since 10 years and i´ll never mount a Intel Stock cooler to a customers PC. Here some graphs which should help you to calm down

Left Pic: PC Idle / Right Pic: PC Load

nhc14idlekfbij.png nhc14loadjqb01.png

Man, be easy, there is nothing wrong with your system. It´s just the shit cooler, i build systems since 10 years and i´ll never mount a Intel Stock cooler to a customers PC. Here some graphs which should help you to calm down

Left Pic: PC Idle / Right Pic: PC Load

http://abload.de/thumb2/nhc14idlekfbij.png http://abload.de/thumb2/nhc14loadjqb01.png

Alright, thanks for those screens.

Yeah, I'm calm, don't worry. :D

But I'm certain I have an excellent cooler on the way. Noctua NH-U14S. We'll see how that turns out... I'll definitely post the results here, just like I will do with the RAM.

EDIT: But yeah, it shows that the CPU Load goes up to 82, and in my case it's 100...

Edited by Massey_sd

Alright, thanks for those screens.

Yeah, I'm calm, don't worry. :D

But I'm certain I have an excellent cooler on the way. Noctua NH-U14S. We'll see how that turns out... I'll definitely post the results here, just like I will do with the RAM.

EDIT: But yeah, it shows that the CPU Load goes up to 82, and in my case it's 100...

the graphic only shows the temp-relation between the coolers. There is no information about the model of cpu, clockspeed and volts. Do you ran the prime test with stock/standard clock and volts or overclocked?

the graphic only shows the temp-relation between the coolers. There is no information about the model of cpu, clockspeed and volts. Do you ran the prime test with stock/standard clock and volts or overclocked?

All standard, no OCing whatsoever.

I could of course for the time being increase the CPU Fan Speed in the BIOS. See if that makes any difference.

BTW, in BIOS, my CPU Input Voltage is 1.85, and, Vcore is 1.04 or something like that...

Is that normal? Shouldn't Vcore be higher?

EDIT: This is what HWinfo is showing:

http://i60.tinypic.com/dvq6tg.png (511 kB)

PS: In BIOS, when I choose "Manual" for CPU Voltage Core, something else is shown: CPU Voltage Core Override, or something like that; And I can only choose "Auto." (And it gives some info: Min; 0.001V, Max: 1.9xxV. Something like that.)

Is that normal, and should I try that?

(And I have the latest BIOS.)

Edited by Massey_sd

I thought the pictures doesnt need infromation about Model, Volts & Clockspeed. Everyone who has basic knowledge about this should know that the Stock cooler is shit. So specially this post is for the peoples which seems not be very known about cooling mechanics ^^

For our stock testing our i7 4770k will be kept at 3.50 GHz with a minimal 1.00v. For overclocked CPU testing, we will be running our CPU at 4.4GHz with 1.25v.

1387220456y5h3uw6oey_vaotm.png 1387220456y5h3uw6oey_wjqd0.png

The Stock cooler is at the lists bottom. Any further questions?

the shitty temps still with better air cooling are caused by the bad thermal paste between the die and the heatspreader.

Here is a (hardcore) workaround:

but only for freaks like me :p You can destroy the cpu and/or your fingers..and you loose the warranty.

Please read enough about the overclocking stuff before you do it :)

Edited by JumpingHubert

These are the default settings.... It's showing Ratio 44...?

dcwrja.png

BTW, I changed something in this program, and, I immediately reverted back to default settings...

I had to reboot, and now my CPU is running cooler... Wtf? in the 30's, and at first it was in the mid 40's...

I didn't do a goddamn thing.

Like I said, it's back to default.

And before I rebooted, the "VRM" of the CPU was at 50°...

Also...:

- BCLK Frequency was 100, now it's 100.2

- Ratio was 44 (4400). Now it's 44 (4408.8)

- "CPU Frequency" at the bottom left was 800MHz. Now it's 799.6.

Edited by Massey_sd

This is usual, Corespeed is at 800Mhz so far i can see, so ur CPU with that speed doesnt make much heat. The Ratio is the Multiplikation of the CPU, in your case you have a "K" processor which should have a free adjustable Multiplikation. It Multiplikates the BCLK (earlier known as FSB) x 100. So when u would increase the value to 50, you would have 5Ghz when PC would be in Load mode. Actually your CPU is running Idle so it runs with that 800Mhz, when ur Pc goes into load mode you will have the adjusted 4400Mhz and the Voltage goes automaticly higher then which results in higher temperature then

... when ur Pc goes into load mode you will have the adjusted 4400Mhz and the Voltage goes automaticly higher then which results in higher temperature then

In BIOS, "Turbo Mode" is enabled, so, do I have to Disable it then, to keep the temperatures down.

When u disable it your CPU will clock to "only" 4Ghz when in load mode. So this is up to you.

But in BIOS it says that the multiplication is 40. Not 44.

This 44 is only active when Turbomode is active. Without Turbo it goes to 40. You can do a quick test: disable turbo and boot up your system and play a game or something, you will see your cpu is runnig with 4000Mhz instead 4400Mhz...

This 44 is only active when Turbomode is active. Without Turbo it goes to 40. You can do a quick test: disable turbo and boot up your system and play a game or something, you will see your cpu is runnig with 4000Mhz instead 4400Mhz...

Oh I see, ok, thanks.

Gonna disable Turbo Mode than. :)