daphne

[WIP] ArmA 3 Youtube - Play youtube videos and watch them together!

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce to you: ArmA 3 Youtube by Kane. It is a .dll plugin for ArmA2NET that allows you to play youtube videos inside arma 3.

This plugin will allow you to play youtube videos in ArmA 3, on any hiddenselection you want. You can play youtube videos on TV's, inside cars, and pretty much anything that has a hiddenselection and works with setObjectTexture, and watch it with your friends :)

Features:

Audio/video sync

- Multiplayer sync

- Completely client-side, even the multiplayer sync code. No impact on server performance or client performance (except for some additional ram usage perhaps)

- Works with any youtube video regardless of video FPS (age restricted content will throw up an error though)

- Ability to play videos on any hiddenselection, we recommend a custom screen (I will include some different sizes for you to place on the map) with 16:9 to match up the ratio

- Currently 360p~max30FPS. 720p caused issues with memory filling up too quickly (due to the way caching works in arma)

- Easy to install and use, drag & drop all files into arma 3 folder and use the following SQF code (The code is also easily editable, and commented in-case you want to make any changes):

Example:
["https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqn3f0BHdY",nearestObject [player, "Land_A3PL_Cinema"]] spawn A3PL_Youtube_Init;

This plugin will be released to the arma 3 community, it's currently being tested on our community.

Thanks to:

- A3PL Community for current testing and coming up with the amazing idea

- YoutubeExtractor C# library by flagbug

- NAudio .net audio library by markheath

- The ffmpeg.com team for their multimedia framework to encode and decode

- ArmA2Net by ScottNZ for common language runtime support

• Like 24

LOL :D  It will be awesome. I can load also xxx movie with the link? XD

However, after joking, there is a kind of "limit" of duration?

Something like this was being worked on when Arma 3 was first released. Good to see it coming closer to making it into game. Our group wanted it for briefings.

Looking forward to it.

LOL :D  It will be awesome. I can load also xxx movie with the link? XD

However, after joking, there is a kind of "limit" of duration?

There is no hard coded limit. However longer videos may take longer to process, the video starts playing when everyone is done downloading the video and encoding is completed for 300 frames (for me encoding is at 40 times the video speed, so dont think this will be an issue for anyone). I've tested with around 3 people in multiplayer and a 5 minute video took about 30 or so seconds to play. It is really dependant on download speed of the users, as you can in the video for me it's almost instantly but I have 200mb/s down. The video is only downloaded and played for those close to the screen (20m distance). I am thinking however of adding a menu where you can see all the users and the status of downloading, it wouldn't be hard to do. The downside is that when somebody really has shitty internet it could take a while, no way around that currently. I believe an 8min video is about 40mb, 16min is 80mb etc.

Basically when the slowest internet speed of one of the users is 4Mbps it will take 1m 40s to load a video on avarage (for a 50mb file). Keep in mind though that 80% of US people are above 4Mbps, and 46% being above 8Mbps. Usually gamers have higher internet speeds than that though.

To answer your other question, you could probably upload some unlisted xxx videos to youtube and play them ;)

I like how the time in the author's pc at the time of recording was 2:11AM. Just goes to show Arma modding innovation happens after midnight lol.

Like others here have said, this is very cool indeed.

I like how the time in the author's pc at the time of recording was 2:11AM. Just goes to show Arma modding innovation happens after midnight lol.

Like others here have said, this is very cool indeed.

Sometimes you have to come up with crazy ideas that you don't even know they're going to work, but it did :)

• Like 3

Hey daphne, what a great work!!

I was waiting for something like this for so long, but there is any release date for this?

Please don't let this project die like the other one posted by apocalypsex.

Thank you!

No other way to express my awe except for, "holy shit!"

Damn fine work!

Wondering how you pulled off retrieving the frames from the video and sending and decoding them in ArmA!

• Like 1

I really the idea of this mod, and although I wouldn't implement it as a cinema tool (I prefer milsim over RPG), I do think I'll be able to find other usages for it (introduction videos, training videos, scaring people during mission when suddenly a TV starts playing :P)

I do have an idea to "solve" the loading issue: add a short loop video in the addon which will be played while everyone is loading (or multiple).

eg.

(just loop it for 3-5 seconds)

Or add some fake commercials in a short video, like at the cinema ;)

This way people will know it's loading, without being bored (they still see and hear something).

Of course, using a static image as a placeholder would also help a lot (eg. "please wait while we find the tapes")

Keep up the good work, and can't wait for the release!

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not updating everyone on this, I basically stopped working on it because I had some issues I couldn't work around especially the image caching in arma eventually filled up the memory and crashed the game, it also had issues with screen flickering on lower-end PC's. And yeah... battlEye...

BUT the good news, two days ago I came up with an idea that would allow me to work around all the major issues with the previous system and I've completely rewritten the whole system from scratch and now features a real time theora conversion method (eliminating the time limit because the render is in real time now!)

The new features are:

- Real time render into ogv files (no more waiting for full render to be completed)

- No more caching issues and memory issues (causing crashes after a while)

- Seperate audio pipe for usage with playSound3D (Yup.. 3D sound, now we just need a local version so it doesn't send useless network messages)

- Custom starting positions compaitable (when players walk near the cinema the video will start playing at the server time)

- Customizable video and audio quality (can reduce or increase if performance issues)

- Compaitable with BattlEye (bypasses file blocks) - yeah dont even ask me how...

- Ability to stop at any point (useful to stop rendering if we exit the cinema)

- Title, duration, current play time is now displayed on the screen

- Debug monitor also shows all player and their status, useful for debugging (includes render-buffer, download progress etc)

Video:

More info: http://arma3projectlife.com/forums/index.php?threads/w-i-p-youtube-cinema-v3.8391

-Kane, arma3projectlife.com

• Like 4

I'm sure I speak for the rest of the community when I say...

OMG!

Testing in MP, and trying out joining in the middle of a video.

• Like 2

the files from the post are not here also the Example you have given doesnt work it stated global init space error and what files are need to make this work 

• Like 1