R3vo

Creating new inventory item, base class?

I am currently trying to create a new inventory item, but I need some sort of a base class where I can inherit all the necessary information from. I am currently using ItemWatch, but that's not suitable since my item is not supposed to be added to the toolbelt.

class CfgWeapons
{
    class ItemWatch; // Item watch is not suiteable here
    class Item_Revo_mD_flag: ItemWatch
    {
        author = "Revo";
        dlc = "";
        displayName = "Mine Flag";
        count = 1;
        scope = 2;
        class ItemInfo
            {
                    mass = 15;
            };
        picture = "\Revo_mineDetector\images\flag_icon.paa";
        descriptionShort = "A flag to mark mines for other players.";
    };
};

I tried things like ItemCore and inventoryItem_base (I think that's what it was called) but it seems that everyone is using a different method.

Help would be apprechiated.

This is what Rawner send me:

G'day,

Ok, if you want to make non interactive items (which magazines suit it well), then Download this PDF which will guide you to doing it.   ;) (Credit goes to Zack Gibsons)

But there are some important things to remember to do:

Unwrapping model: (Without it, your item is invisible!)

1. Open your model in Oxygen/Object Builder. (You should have followed the steps in that PDF at this point)

2. Select your whole model, then go to the Surfaces tab and select Unwrap Structure.

3. Select your model again, then open UV Editor.

4. With the UV Editor opened, click on Planar mapping344r4sg.png

5. Select the imported map inserted into the UV Editor, then press Ctrl + C.

6. Close UV Editor, then Undo all actions until the point where you were about to Unwrap the model.

7. Open the UV Editor again, then press Ctrl + V.

Doing this will save the unwrapped structure into UV Editor with ease, thus getting your model properly into the game. (With that done, you can now import your texture into UV Editor, and then align the unwrapped model onto your texture.)

Config and how it should look like: (Example Below)

class CfgPatches
{
    class TAG_MyAddon

{
        units[]={};
        weapons[]={};
        requiredVersion=1;
        author[]=
        {
            "Your Name"
        };
    };
};
class CfgMagazines
{
    class CA_Magazine; //Inherits the base magazine
    class TAG_MyItem_F: CA_Magazine

{
        displayName = "Baked Beannzzzz"; //Item's Display Name
        scope=2; //Scope 2 will show in editor
        author = "Your Name"; //Your Name
        picture = "\TAG_MyAddon\myInventoryIcon_ca.paa"; //Displays icon in your Inventory
        model = "\TAG_MyAddon\myModel.p3d"; //Path to your model
        icon = "iconObject_circle"; //Leave as is
        descriptionShort = "Can of delicious beans preserved, YUMMM!"; //Description displayed when mouse is hovered over item in inventory
    };
};

With regards to the PDF, it only explains how to do it with Weapons. BUT, this is found to work with magazines as well. However, creating a model and getting it in-game for the first time is quite a b****, but very rewarding once you get used to the process and how it works.

Hope it helps,

Rawner135

That was quick, thank you. I do not intend to add a 3d model, it's simply an item which is needed for a specific action.

I am still not quite sure what kind of base class I should use. CA_Magazine doesn't make much sense, since it isn't a magazine. For me as a noob would make it make more sense to use ItemCore, since that is also used by FirstAidKids etc.

That was quick, thank you. I do not intend to add a 3d model, it's simply an item which is needed for a specific action.

I am still not quite sure what kind of base class I should use. CA_Magazine doesn't make much sense, since it isn't a magazine. For me as a noob would make it make more sense to use ItemCore, since that is also used by FirstAidKids etc.

Honestly, it is much easier using CA_Magazine than ItemCore, Take a look at the below example taken from my mod:

CfgMagazines
{
	class CA_Magazine;
	class DSS_BottlePlastic_Filled_F: CA_Magazine
	{
		author = "Rawner135";
		scope = 2;
		displayName = "Water Bottle (Filled)";
		picture = "\dss_items\inv\WaterBottle_Filled_CA.paa";
		model = "\A3\Structures_F_EPA\Items\Food\BottlePlastic_V2_F.p3d";
		icon = "iconObject_circle";
		descriptionShort = "A bottle you can drink out of.";
	};
};

CA_Magazine is the source class that other classes can use to inherit off. I know, it may sound strange to have items inheriting a magazine class, but this is the exact same technique the DayZ Devs did to their stuff.

Is it ? I solved this issue a few weeks ago. That's how a config for one item looks.

class CfgWeapons
{
    class ItemCore;
    class InventoryItem_Base_F;

class Revo_mD_flag: ItemCore
    {
        author = "Revo";
        displayName = "$STR_mD_flag";
        model = "\A3\Signs_F\SignSpecial\FlagSmall_F.p3d";
        scope = 2;      
        scopeArsenal = 2;
        scopeCurator = 2;
        simulation= "ItemMineDetector"
        picture = "\Revo_mineDetector\images\flag_icon.paa";
        descriptionShort = "$STR_mD_flagDesription";
        class ItemInfo: InventoryItem_Base_F
        {
            mass=10;
        };
    };
};

In addition, I wasn't able to make the items avaiable in the Arsenal when inheriting from CA_Magazines. ItemCore solved that for me.

• Like 2

Hey Gents,

I am trying to create an inventory object that you can have in say your backpack, drop on the ground, and then have a scroll wheel action. I have made the item, but i am having trouble with doing the userActions. I have made 2 objects that can be places in the editor with these functions, but i am trying to create a smaller portable station that someone can carry with them. I Was thinking that maybe i have to make a vehicle and then in the CfgWeapons call the vehicle when i create the item? If anyone can help please let me know. I am able to provide coding if you want to see what I have so far.

Cheers