mind

Composition tool - Eden editor plugin

Does the object browser have a scroll bar? i cant see it. It would help in quick viewing of the objects instead of just using the scroll wheel.

Im looking forward to having a scroll bar, sense the background seems to scroll while using the tool. Which is annoying.

This is indeed a good idea, i will investigate this question.

I agree, this is an amazing idea.

Guyz!

I made small (relatively :P ) project to have some fun and showcase CompoT.

It`s name is RTDM - Randomized Team DeathMatch

It is round based - one life - looting involved - team death match. It is based on vanilla arma so no mods needed.

Game mode played well with 10 to 20 people on server, so please call your friends to join!

Feel free to join game at IP address 173.199.107.44 port 2302 no password.

You can also join TS on same IP, password: rtdm.

:jump_clap: Everyone are welcomed! :jump_clap:

Hi mind, really impressed with what you have created, great work!!

I have only just scratched the surface but thanks to your tutorials (all of which i've watched twice now) i'm making a start.

However, I'm having a small issue with making interiors.  I've made a composition using a table and various items but they fall through the table when in game.  If made with Eden i can edit the object attributes and uncheck Enable Simulation.

What do i do in Composition Tool, what have i missed?

Hi mind, really impressed with what you have created, great work!!

I have only just scratched the surface but thanks to your tutorials (all of which i've watched twice now) i'm making a start.

However, I'm having a small issue with making interiors.  I've made a composition using a table and various items but they fall through the table when in game.  If made with Eden i can edit the object attributes and uncheck Enable Simulation.

What do i do in Composition Tool, what have i missed?

Thank you! It is a very good point. You actually unable to set enable/disable simulation flag on certain objects, this is indeed my fault.

Recently i was thinking of the best way to set certain attributes to objects and how to display their values.

I have an idea to display objects with different icons (not only yellow and green squares), according to what attributes object have "on".

And also to allow right-click an object to open attribute menu, similar to how it is done in eden.

I am occupied so much with RTDM project at the moment, hopefully i will get back to CompoT closer to the end of this month.

To be honest i just want to have a small "vocation" from CompoT, with refreshed brain it will be much better to go to v0.3

I am occupied so much with RTDM project at the moment, hopefully i will get back to CompoT closer to the end of this month.

To be honest i just want to have a small "vocation" from CompoT, with refreshed brain it will be much better to go to v0.3

Ok, no worries. Looking forward to v0.3

I put on of my maps on our servers and it said this error when I try and join: script ct_functions missing or something along those lines.

I put on of my maps on our servers and it said this error when I try and join: script ct_functions missing or something along those lines.

Hi.

This kind of error may occur if file "ct_functions.sqf" is missing from root of mission folder (same place as mission.sqm).

By default, this file is searched in root mission folder.

In case if you don`t want to have ct_functions and ct_projects in mission file and you want to have them inside server side addon for example or

any other specific place, you can tell me a bit more about your server, tell me how you would like things to work. I will try help you integrate CompoT to your server.

Contact me on PM if you dont like to discuss this publicly.

Hi.

This kind of error may occur if file "ct_functions.sqf" is missing from root of mission folder (same place as mission.sqm).

By default, this file is searched in root mission folder.

In case if you don`t want to have ct_functions and ct_projects in mission file and you want to have them inside server side addon for example or

any other specific place, you can tell me a bit more about your server, tell me how you would like things to work. I will try help you integrate CompoT to your server.

Contact me on PM if you dont like to discuss this publicly.

So I need to place those two files in my missions folder? then compile/save it?

Edit:

Yes you do.....Haha I feel dumb. Thanks for pointing this out for me. Everything is working now! Looking forward to future updates!

This is a very good tool,well done mate! Upon testing,i discovered the native support for CUP Terrain things. I need to maintain a mission that is not easily ported,can i add AiA to this tool to have the buildings there aswell?

Edit: also,how do i define the point where i start in the CompT mode? As there is no map,i have troubles navigating from point to point (or rather location to location) with this.Is using the coordination system the only way?

Edit 2: if you place something and move it around via "2", the object is "grouped" or "bound" to something in the distance and doesn`t let you change the height anymore. is that what "pivots" are used for and if yes,how to change the grouping to one that is near the object?

Thanks for the tool man,it really is great

This is a very good tool,well done mate! Upon testing,i discovered the native support for CUP Terrain things. I need to maintain a mission that is not easily ported,can i add AiA to this tool to have the buildings there aswell?

Edit: also,how do i define the point where i start in the CompT mode? As there is no map,i have troubles navigating from point to point (or rather location to location) with this.Is using the coordination system the only way?

Edit 2: if you place something and move it around via "2", the object is "grouped" or "bound" to something in the distance and doesn`t let you change the height anymore. is that what "pivots" are used for and if yes,how to change the grouping to one that is near the object?

Thanks for the tool man,it really is great

1) You can add any mod, AiA as well (see tutorials part 5). You will not get pictures in object browser however (only classnames). It is possible to use screenshots from CUP objects to represent objects from AiA, as they are obviously coming from same source, this, however is not yet done.

2) Use Eden to navigate to place you want build on. Start CompoT, do what you want there. Go back to Eden and navigate to another location. Start CompoT do you stuff, etc..

All objects, all libraries, projects, camera settings, basically everything is saved. You can go back and forth from CompoT to Eden anytime.

In fact this is the main reason why it is coupled with Eden so closely, to allow use both tools in same time, and see changes done in both tools as well.

3) Due to some technical reasons, you cant change height of grabbed object. Try releasing object (it should be still selected though), and then adjust height with mouse wheel. This behavior have nothing to do with pivots.

few clarifications just in case:

- You grab object by clicking RMB. Grabbed object will move with you cursor. To release object press LMB. You can also Cancel grabbing by pressing ESC, object then will go to position prior to grabbing.

- To select object you press LMB. Selected objects are rendered with green box.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thanks for the detailed answer,appreciate it. What are pivots for then?

That is complicated to answer in one post  :)

Have you watched tutorials? Parts from 4 to 9, answer your question.

I only skipped trough to be honest,i will watch them in full lenght. Thank you!

Question: I've installed the mod, but can't figure out how to access it in the editor. How do I access it in the editor?

Open up the "Tools" bar in Eden,the Composition Tool will be there as last entry

I see it, thanks. But how do I delete (a la 'control-Z) when I place a building by mistake? I can't seem to do that.

Edit: I mistakenly placed a chair facing the wrong way. In the tool and in the editor I can't reverse the error.

I see it, thanks. But how do I delete (a la 'control-Z) when I place a building by mistake? I can't seem to do that.

Edit: I mistakenly placed a chair facing the wrong way. In the tool and in the editor I can't reverse the error.

1) undo and redo functionality is on its way, hopefully in 0.3

I know it is very important thing to have, but it is also VERY hard thing to implement...

2) It is done on purpose, that in Eden you are not able to alter objects placed in CompoT and other way around.

There are alot of technical and logical reasons for that. First of all, objects placed in Eden are saved to mission.sqm

while objects placed in CompoT are spawned via scripting on mission init.

I would like to highlight one simple fact.

CompoT is not all-in-one multi purpose tool, it is in fact dedicated to very specific task,

which is making compositions, that you can re-use in several locations and several missions, share them and have them saved.

If you need to place several certain objects in certain area, and you have no intention to re-use them, you probably should do it in

Eden editor. And even then, you can use object browser from CompoT (shift-space).

Hi, 1st of all, thank you very much for spend so much effort on this and to share with us, great work!

Is there a way to insert units and waypoints with CompoT? If not could you consider that?

I used to do that before in Arma2 (BI3DE I think but not sure).

I like to create as I like to call a "scene", hostage capture for example,  where I made a composition of the hostage, objects,  guards and a patrol inside a room in a building  for example.

Then i save it, with a all units, objects and waypoints, into a sqf file.

After that I change the position of this elements into another room, and save it into other sqf file and repeat this process as much as I find usefull.

The intention is to call this sqf randomly at mission start so you have different aproachs when breaching the building. This add lots of possibiities to mission making, yet with lots of control of the scenes. You can combine this technic into diffent scenes and add lots of randomization yet with lots of control. Let me pls know if I was not clear enough.

Thanks a lot

You might want to add a spoiler in your first post with specific keys used and a small tutorial. If you don't see your videos no one can figure out where to find and place the sqf file.

Is there a way to insert units and waypoints with CompoT? If not could you consider that?

Hi, thanks for feedback!

I do not like the idea to have AI and vehicles available in CompoT. There is a simple reason why, BI are doing absolutely amazing job with Eden. I personally like how waypoint placement works in Eden, i am sure i will not be able to achieve same results via plain scripting. Basically i find it plain bad idea to implement something with pure scripting if its already implemented in Eden by pros.

I dont like the very fact that CompoT based on mission simulation (you have to basically preview mission with CompoT enabled).

It went like this historically, because when i started work on CompoT, i knew nothing about coming Eden (as probably no one did).

Ideally i would like to see CompoT built in Eden, improving Eden. I do not want to go "against" Eden.

Current state of CompoT`s development is waiting basically, i need to understand where Eden is going, and then figure out what exactly can be improved/added to it with CompoT.

I really like BI`s own composition making mechanics and saving to .SQE files mechanic (in dev build currently). I hope BI will allow scripted access to this mechanics as well.

Also, i would like to have more dedicated support for certain mods (exile, epoch, ravage, wasteland, life... you name it). This is something, i as independent dev, can do.

• Like 1

You might want to add a spoiler in your first post with specific keys used and a small tutorial.

Thanks for advice, i really should find time for that! If only i could have 354 hours per day  :P

Hi, thanks for feedback!

I do not like the idea to have AI and vehicles available in CompoT. There is a simple reason why, BI are doing absolutely amazing job with Eden. I personally like how waypoint placement works in Eden, i am sure i will not be able to achieve same results via plain scripting. Basically i find it plain bad idea to implement something with pure scripting if its already implemented in Eden by pros.

I dont like the very fact that CompoT based on mission simulation (you have to basically preview mission with CompoT enabled).

It went like this historically, because when i started work on CompoT, i knew nothing about coming Eden (as probably no one did).

Ideally i would like to see CompoT built in Eden, improving Eden. I do not want to go "against" Eden.

Current state of CompoT`s development is waiting basically, i need to understand where Eden is going, and then figure out what exactly can be improved/added to it with CompoT.

I really like BI`s own composition making mechanics and saving to .SQE files mechanic (in dev build currently). I hope BI will allow scripted access to this mechanics as well.

Also, i would like to have more dedicated support for certain mods (exile, epoch, ravage, wasteland, life... you name it). This is something, i as independent dev, can do.

I got your point, thanks anyway.

For my luck, seems that what i asked for is just coming on the new update.  I hope that it´ll be simple to implement.

Good luck with the directions that are to come.

Any plans to make this available on Play With Six?

Also, when I try to launch CompT from the Eden Editor nothing happens. No error, no nothing. I just stay in CompT. I've followed the tutorial exactly as shown and nothing.