raptoer

Pooter's enhanced ASR AI

This is weird, I've enabled -Filepatching in GOS launcher, set asr_ai3_main_debug to 0 and yet I keep getting debug messages.  

What sort of debug messages? in game chat, log message or popups? What do they say?

The action messages atop each unit on the field.

ooohhh, I guess I disabled those incorrectly. I'll fix that in a couple of hours once I get home.

0.2.1-0.9.27 uploaded.

Fixes debug text showing up for single player

Allows mod to be used without filepatching (although default user settings will be used)

• Like 2

I have basically stopped trying to control AI stance, and am letting the engine handle it. 

But with the engine handling it I don't have many inputs into what the engine is doing, so I would have to completely override the engine behavior and manually control stance.

As with many things with AI modding, it's not impossible, but it's a lot of work, a lot of computation, and I have no idea how well it will work.

If you think about all the things that you would have to take into account, it starts to get a little overwhelming.

-Am I in building (easy)

-Am I near cover (what is cover, and how much is enough to consider enough?)

-Will lowering my stance block enemy vision (from which enemies?)

-Am I about to shoot? (Wouldn't want AI to go prone instead of returning fire)

-How much am I being shot at (I only receive individual events, I would have to aggregate them, then keep track of the aggregation)

-Range to danger? (Again, I only receive individual events, so danger at 10m and danger at 1km would be considered separately)

-AI courage

-AI combat status

-etc.

have you thought about looking into arma intercept for C++ processing power and efficiency?

With regard to shot detection-I have had a lot of success with editing the gunshot hearing in the user config-although you still are heard much closer than vanilla.

Your line "Is it possible to have à more realistic attitude from the AI ?" ...well that sums up what everyone wants from Arma -it's just very hard to achieve  :)

Yeah, we all want it, that's sure !

So many years we must deal with theses god-soldiers on ground, but that's still a pleasure to play !

So is file patching going to required for all versions ASR moving forward?

For my side, I know that the base version or this one need the -filepatching line in order to take the userconfig options to work ingame.

This is in the realm of base ASR_AI, so I have done no testing with it, and have no idea what it does or how it does it. Just remember that gunshot are loud, even suppressors decrease the gunshot to only 140db, still as loud as a rock concert. I have no data on how loud subsonic ammo with a suppressors is, but it's probably above 100db, the strength of a jackhammer at 1m. 

Yep, I know. Suppressor just evacuate gas slower, but still louder.

I juste mean that it's really weird to be close to an hostile unit, shot it in the head, and see the other one coming from 20 meters away and hearing it from behind a structure and a large cement wall.

In opposition, shooting without suppressor in the same situation with an AK or AR rifle from 30/40 meters behind a container don't make me detected.

And all the subsonic ammo are really a shame in ArmA III, like in other ArmA before.

No way to hit the area targeted without see the bullet hit close to 4 cm above.

I know this is a bit late to the party but Pooter, please do not declare this mod a failure!! It's by far the most realistic cover mechanic I've seen in Arma. Thanks for your work on this and please keep it up!

• Like 1

Is there a way to override ai behaviour in regards to rpg's?

As it stands they only fire on manned vehicles or really recently manned vehicles. I would like more to be used on infantry if possible :)

Hi,

I'll try today to make some scripts for the AI.

Like using environement objects to defeat hostiles, I used some objects like fire extinguisher to generate a smoke cloud when hit, or even some explosives objects to kill near units.

For example, if the player is near an explosive object, the AI will try to shoot the object to kill the player.

If the AI can shoot on a fire extinguisher to hide themself from ennemy shots, they'll do it.

I'll try to make the AI going crouched or stay stand more often.

This mod gives me some ideas, and I start a little to see how I can do this.

So is nobody else having the issue of AI not being able to hit you?i dont know why it started happening.It was fine one day,then it changed.like I said above-they can fire 60-70 rounds from 20mtrs and they wont hit me. It is the same with original ASR_AI too. I use ACE,but have tried it with and without the ACE_ai pbo in the pack-makes no difference.When I remove ASR but leave ace-the ai are fine.aggressive,firing full auto etc.With ASR they never fire on auto and cant hit anything..But it used to be fine! Weird...

Latest update does not have the main PBO signed. Just saying XD

That's odd, I signed it again but the sha-1 signatures of both the keys and the pbos match.

Maybe I'm signing it wrong?

Dunno, I know that if you change anything in the PBO, it has to be signed again, though I have never compared the checksums to see if there was any difference,

As for signing, I use the DS utils from Arma3 Tools

Hi,

If it can be usefull, I just finished a little script that permit me to having AI randomly choose between standing or crouching position when in behaviour "Combat".

It's functionnal.

Just tested it.

Finally no more hostiles that giving the impression to wanted to eat the grass when a shot is fired.

• Like 4

@HammerShield

Interesting, can we test?

It's far to be perfect, I must use some old method, it largely can be optimised with better coding.

I called this a "MacGyver script".

I'll make this like that, just trying, and I'm not as experienced as I want in coding, but it works.

I upload the *.7z file containing the script and the way to use it.
Just place some hostiles, and follow the instructions, in french and english.

Place the "AI" folder in the mission folder and try it.

Here it is : NOT RELEASED ANYMORE REGARDS TO THE LACK OF FEEDBACK

Some images to see a little about the script :

http://imgur.com/a/PFfm7

Just let your feedback and impressions if you want.

It's not designed to be shared via PlayWithSIX , Steam Workshop or any other site.
Just take it from this link or ask in PM.

I don't want it to be available in any other way than here or direct via PM for personnal reasons.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Sorry to ask again-is nobody else having the issue with ASR_AI that enemies just cannot hit you? Like 50 shots at close range will all miss? Dont know what to do-I have just gone back to vanilla ai :(

ineptaphid,

Have this issue without ASR ?

I don't remember to ever have it with or without it.

Maybe the override AI skill that is not on "1" and the skill in each AI set to the lower level.

Sorry to ask again-is nobody else having the issue with ASR_AI that enemies just cannot hit you? Like 50 shots at close range will all miss? Dont know what to do-I have just gone back to vanilla ai :(

Change the setting for AI skill in userconfig / asr_ai3 / asr_ai3_settings_ss, from 1 to 0:

asr_ai3_main_setskills 	= 1;	// Override AI skills based on their unit type (faction, training etc.; 0 - disabled, 1 - enabled)

@HammerShield

Your script goes on smoothly so far, thanks. Maybe you'll pack in pbo.  (For myself I did already) ;)

vafana,

I don't know how to make a config' file for making the script working automatically for all entities class in all game without having to add the script in each mission.

But if you know how, contact me and we'll see that.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hope you like it.

Change the setting for AI skill in userconfig / asr_ai3 / asr_ai3_settings_ss, from 1 to 0:

asr_ai3_main_setskills 	= 1;	// Override AI skills based on their unit type (faction, training etc.; 0 - disabled, 1 - enabled)

I dint think of doing that! So that means I will have all the features of ASR but the ai will retain vanilla skills? That would be perfect :)

ineptaphid,

Yep, that's it.

If you have the latest version, you don't have anything else to do.

If you still have an older version, maybe you must add -filepatching to the shortcut for being able to use the values in the userconfig.