raptoer

Pooter's enhanced ASR AI

AI enhancement mod for Arma3.

Download link: 1.2-1.1.3
This mod requires CBA.

To install, extract userconfig from the archive into your main Arma 3 directory, extract @ASR_AI3 into your favorite mod folder location (usually same place, main Arma 3 directory).

This mod uses the same pbo name as ASR_AI, partially because I am lazy and partially to prevent you from running both as it is inherently incompatible.

Pooter's enhanced ASR AI takes the base ASR AI (currently version 1.0.0) and modifies the behavior of AIs who encounter danger. 

Specifically it causes AI to get into cover behind specific objects (any object that is tall enough is eligible).

It also causes AI to counter attack if they have detected danger and then were left alone for long enough. If the AI are continuously detecting danger then they will not counter attack until the danger has ended.

The mod is compatible with both single and multiplayer, however I have never tested the campaign with it.

There are expanded settings in the CBA for various delays as well as the maximum distance at which the AI will attempt a counter attack.

There are three downsides to using this mod:

1. Slight performance decrease per instance of AI detecting danger (mainly the first time each group detects danger).

2. AIs can be a little cowardly, especially at long ranges. The AI will go into cover, then may decide that it really likes the cover and sit there.

Two very important notes:

1. In order for userSettings to be read you must start the game with -FilePatching: see https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/163742-asr-ai-3/?p=2927212

2. I will be offering only limited support to base ASR_AI features. I ONLY changed behavior related to how the AI react to danger. They take cover behind specific objects, change their stance in order to get out of fire and counterattack after being left alone. All other behavior is caused by base ASR_AI and should be discussed there: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/163742-asr-ai-3/

Enjoy.

• Like 9

Thank you for this edit. Btw is there no way to make infantry retreat when faced by strong enemy armor?

Thank you for this edit. Btw is there no way to make infantry retreat when faced by strong enemy armor?

It's not impossible, but comes with so many caveats that it probably wouldn't work out well.

The first is that the AI are very perceptive of danger, and thus will probably attempt to leave long before you expect.

The second is how do we define "retreat". If you just want them to run 500m in the direct opposite direction of any armor, that's not too hard; but anything more complicated than that becomes unwieldy.

The third is that if we issue a move waypoint then the default danger behavior will re-assert itself and the AI will attempt to take cover. If on the other hand we issue a scripted move then the AI will ignore most everything else going on around them to move.

AI mods can only really handle the most general cases, everything else should be zeused, triggered or scripted.

Thanks @raptoer, nice additions; but you can do something with units from static weapons? They simply do not leave the gun even if they are injured, especially those with static anti tank weapons, mortars; it would be nice if they would leave the gun and fight back or would seek coverage. 

@raptoer

I've been play testing this with Pilgrimage on Chernarus for a few hours today and i'm well impressed. I was trapped in a building at the airport surrounded by over 20 units including amour and air support and they were sneaky little b*stards. Certainly a lot more crawllng on their bellies than i've normally encountered, which i like as well as guys on foot. Caught me unawares many a time, even crawling up on me while i was focused elsewhere. Cheeky b*stard lobbed a grenade while on his belly after crawling up behind me. Didn't see him.....lmao!

Took me an hour to clear it give or take a few minutes.  :D

• Like 1

Another question I have. Would this mod work on the same basis as Normal ASR_AI in that you only need to install it on your server and no need for clients to download this mod? (Yes I know normal ASR_AI is recommended to be installed on all clients systems.)

Another question I have. Would this mod work on the same basis as Normal ASR_AI in that you only need to install it on your server and no need for clients to download this mod? (Yes I know normal ASR_AI is recommended to be installed on all clients systems.)

Indeed. It's a matter of where the AI is local to. AI are local to their leader. If their leader is also an AI then they are local to the server.

Love this! But who dramatic is the performance impact?

In a 40v40 AI battle I lost 1 FPS (I think it was 26 to 25).

Thanks @raptoer, nice additions; but you can do something with units from static weapons? They simply do not leave the gun even if they are injured, especially those with static anti tank weapons, mortars; it would be nice if they would leave the gun and fight back or would seek coverage. 

Interesting idea, I'll take a look sometime in the next week.

Thanks Raptoer. Am really considering moving the server over to this but leaving the clients on normal ASR for when we are using zeus.

Interesting idea, I'll take a look sometime in the next week.

Thanks @raptoer, glad to see this.

Would it be possible to put in the config a way to increase/decrease the frequency which AI use frag grenades? Also -if you come up against a group of grenadiers with ugl's they will blow you away-they really spam them! Kinda like i'm playing CoD hahah! Nice work though mate! Thanks :)

Tested this last night. Really impressive. You've built on some great stuff from ASR. It's definitely noticeable how the AI looks for cover.

@raptoer

I've been play testing this with Pilgrimage on Chernarus for a few hours today and i'm well impressed. I was trapped in a building at the airport surrounded by over 20 units including amour and air support and they were sneaky little b*stards. Certainly a lot more crawllng on their bellies than i've normally encountered, which i like as well as guys on foot. Caught me unawares many a time, even crawling up on me while i was focused elsewhere. Cheeky b*stard lobbed a grenade while on his belly after crawling up behind me. Didn't see him.....lmao!

Took me an hour to clear it give or take a few minutes.  :D

I just saw pilgrimage has been ported to a few maps-is it stable and bug free?

New mod v0.1.0.927-alpha available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey raptoer , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Sounds very promising. I'm download it now. Thanks for trying to improve something which was already awesome!

Does this mod adjust or do anything to AI shooting accuracy, skill levels??

Does this mod adjust or do anything to AI shooting accuracy, skill levels??

The basis for this mod, ASR AI, handles all that.

Nice job! I played a mission with this and damn-the sneaky buggers moving into houses and ambushing us! Nice work mate :D

just thought id put it out there. if robalo gave you permission to do so, would you have plans to expand on the core ASR?

last i heard (and tested), pack NVGs function was not working propperly, and the RHS config pbo is severly outdated. aside from that ASR has not been updated in a while even after a few arma patches, so there would be some things that are out of date or broken i would imagine.

just thought id put it out there. if robalo gave you permission to do so, would you have plans to expand on the core ASR?

last i heard (and tested), pack NVGs function was not working propperly, and the RHS config pbo is severly outdated. 

The NVG packing seems to only work infrequently if at all,you are right.

On another note-dude this is amazing.I was sitting on a hill guarding a valley.I saw an enemy squad approaching in a column formation so I fired a 3 round burst at them...and they all sprinted in different directions and dropped behind rocks and walls! Oh it was so cool to see arma ai actually running for cover :) They don't seem to pop smoke though...I am using ACE,but I deleted the ACE_AI pbo.

The NVG packing seems to only work infrequently if at all,you are right.

Nvg packing works for me, but the AI needs room in their pack for the NVG. Some of the default arma 3 loadouts do not have room for nvgs in neither their vest nor their uniform.

last i heard (and tested), pack NVGs function was not working propperly, and the RHS config pbo is severly outdated. aside from that ASR has not been updated in a while even after a few arma patches, so there would be some things that are out of date or broken i would imagine.

I steered clear of most of ASR as it simply didn't interest me. I don't know anything about RHS and I don't use it. The mods are in github so feel free to fork it, change it, and make a pull request to get it back into one of our repositories.

So are AI meant to be popping smoke?Because mine never do.Except if I am attacking them from an aircraft-they will sometimes throw smoke if getting strafed in a littlebird...not much use against a rocket though :D