raptoer

Pooter's enhanced ASR AI

Given the nature of how this mod tweaks ASR, I'm almost of the opinion that regular ASR AI is better for conventional missions with more aggressive, less "cowardly" enemies.  But Pooter's ASR AI is better for insurgency style campaigns...with enemies that are more "sneaky" and who stay hidden rather than actively engage in the open.

Just my .02.  Love both.

• Like 1

Updated to 1.0-1.0

I made the new version 1.0 because I don't really plan on making more additions unless I get some good ideas from someone.

• Like 3

Is there a way to prevent ASR AI completely break squad formations and leave them out of hunting for humans? I've made a mission, set several soldiers on strategic positions which then got abandoned because someone spotted enemy infantry 400m from their position. Is there a way to turn it off for some groups? 

Updates to debugging code

Make vehicles with passengers not SAD
makes vehicle crew not attempt to mount other items
Changes SAD wps to aggressive MOVE wps
Gives individuals a SAD distance which will override the server set SAD distance.
On 1/7/2017 at 0:34 PM, tomhighway said:

Is there a way to prevent ASR AI completely break squad formations and leave them out of hunting for humans? I've made a mission, set several soldiers on strategic positions which then got abandoned because someone spotted enemy infantry 400m from their position. Is there a way to turn it off for some groups? 

You can now set this per unit (uses the group's leader's value). This can be set in the eden editor or by setVariable on a unit "asr_ai3_main_AD_INDIVIDUAL". The per unit value will override the server's SAD distance.

• Like 2

I just tested the AI detection test mission. For some reason the AI is affected by the game dificulty skill setting, but the ASR AI does not seem to impact the spotTime and spotDistance Ai subskills.

How can I debug the ASR AI to see what skills exactly are set for particular soldier?

@raptoer

I'm getting this error:

"...his,_dangerCausedBy, _dangerCause] call asr_ai3_main_fnc_pt_reactDanger;
Error Undefined variable in expression: asr_ai3_main_fnc_pt_reactdanger 

5 hours ago, vafana said:

@raptoer

I'm getting this error:

"...his,_dangerCausedBy, _dangerCause] call asr_ai3_main_fnc_pt_reactDanger;
Error Undefined variable in expression: asr_ai3_main_fnc_pt_reactdanger 

I can only imagine that happening if you don't have CBA installed, or if you renamed the pbo. CBA automatically runs the XEH_preInit file which defines asr_ai3_main_fnc_pt_reactdanger.

6 hours ago, taro8 said:

I just tested the AI detection test mission. For some reason the AI is affected by the game dificulty skill setting, but the ASR AI does not seem to impact the spotTime and spotDistance Ai subskills.

How can I debug the ASR AI to see what skills exactly are set for particular soldier?

There is a CBA setting "Debug skills" which can be set on the briefing screen or in the eden editor. I have no idea what it actually does, but it probably writes something to your log files.

ASR AI base handles the skill settings, but I'll take a look later today.

2 hours ago, raptoer said:

There is a CBA setting "Debug skills" which can be set on the briefing screen or in the eden editor. I have no idea what it actually does, but it probably writes something to your log files.

ASR AI base handles the skill settings, but I'll take a look later today.

Nevermind, I just forgot to enable filepatching. Sorry to disturb.

i would recommend several things to your great enhances 

1- disable AI from getting random waypoints while they ordered to attack ( both zeus placed or eden )

2- make AI quicker in changing stats from combat to aware

3- more responsive AI during battles ( currently they don't follow orders if enemy nearby, they just hit the ground and keep sneaking or stucking )

4- no more splitting and lone wolfing ( all the time a member or 2 leaves the group and keep fighting or fleeing ) 

15 hours ago, cpt.ghost said:

i would recommend several things to your great enhances 

1- disable AI from getting random waypoints while they ordered to attack ( both zeus placed or eden )

2- make AI quicker in changing stats from combat to aware

3- more responsive AI during battles ( currently they don't follow orders if enemy nearby, they just hit the ground and keep sneaking or stucking )

4- no more splitting and lone wolfing ( all the time a member or 2 leaves the group and keep fighting or fleeing ) 

1- I'm not too sure about this, I don't want zeus input or map editor input to be ignored or deleted.  Could make maps somewhat unpredictable in not a good way. The idea behind the counterattack is that the units do their counterattack, then either die or return to whatever they were doing before. 

2 - I don't explicitly cause the AI to go backwards in the alert status. I make them go to COMBAT during the counter-attack, but never change it back afterwards. I might consider doing this.

3 - Well it's hard to handle this. If the enemy is near by, which is really more important? Once the AI reaches their covered position they're told to return to their formation, however I could see situations where they are unable to reach their cover. Part of the problem of the arma 3 AI is that you can control them in basically 2 ways, either you give them a waypoint which is basically a suggestion to get around to it eventually for an entire group, or you give individuals a do command (doMove, doStop, etc) which is considered highest priority and will be done immediately. 

4 - Again, I never tell them to lone wolf. Their covered positions are determined by the leader, so they should never take cover far away from him unless thats the only cover available. Once they reach their covered positions they're told to return to formation and should follow their leader to the counter-attack. On the other hand I could see cases where the leader is the one lone-wolfing, because he has received the counter-attack order, but everyone else is stuck trying to reach their cover. I'll look into this.

If only I had access to the AI source, it would make me the happiest man around. My friends wouldn't see me for a few months, but so be it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raptoer said:

1- I'm not too sure about this, I don't want zeus input or map editor input to be ignored or deleted.  Could make maps somewhat unpredictable in not a good way. The idea behind the counterattack is that the units do their counterattack, then either die or return to whatever they were doing before. 

2 - I don't explicitly cause the AI to go backwards in the alert status. I make them go to COMBAT during the counter-attack, but never change it back afterwards. I might consider doing this.

3 - Well it's hard to handle this. If the enemy is near by, which is really more important? Once the AI reaches their covered position they're told to return to their formation, however I could see situations where they are unable to reach their cover. Part of the problem of the arma 3 AI is that you can control them in basically 2 ways, either you give them a waypoint which is basically a suggestion to get around to it eventually for an entire group, or you give individuals a do command (doMove, doStop, etc) which is considered highest priority and will be done immediately. 

4 - Again, I never tell them to lone wolf. Their covered positions are determined by the leader, so they should never take cover far away from him unless thats the only cover available. Once they reach their covered positions they're told to return to formation and should follow their leader to the counter-attack. On the other hand I could see cases where the leader is the one lone-wolfing, because he has received the counter-attack order, but everyone else is stuck trying to reach their cover. I'll look into this.

If only I had access to the AI source, it would make me the happiest man around. My friends wouldn't see me for a few months, but so be it.

thanks for clearing that , in my case i see that the big deal with your enhances is that the AI take random waypoints to counter attack , in real life ( as a army soldier ) if you're the defending one you just can't counter attack as the enemy may attack you're position or may ambush you i think the best way is to learn the AI hold their position for as long as possible and keep maneuvering in the same line as a defending forces , in the other hand when you're attacking an enemy position believe me you just can't take other path or think of other path especially if you're attacking in numbers , its a big issue if you disobey the orders and take different path , i believe that the counter attacking waypoints must be deleted for 2 reason , 1- AI will stuck in his wherever position and will never go back to the original position ( this is something i witness in your enhancements ) 2- the AI still in combat mode even after winning a battle and area clear of enemies ( in most cases ) this is my vision to your enhancements but let me tell you im a big fan and enjoying your work especially firefights , wishing you good luck :)  

On 11/22/2016 at 3:52 PM, autigergrad said:

Given the nature of how this mod tweaks ASR, I'm almost of the opinion that regular ASR AI is better for conventional missions with more aggressive, less "cowardly" enemies.  But Pooter's ASR AI is better for insurgency style campaigns...with enemies that are more "sneaky" and who stay hidden rather than actively engage in the open.

If I wanted to keep conventional factions from performing sneaky-cheeky maneuvers, would it work if I put them in the skip array at the bottom of the userconfig file?

For example:

asr_ai3_main_skip_factions = ["CIV_F", "BLU_F", "OPF_F", "IND_F"]; // factions added here will not get the AI enhancements

I wonder then could I load a different AI mod, like vanilla ASR AI3, for conventional forces, and exclude guerrilla factions?
What could go wrong?  

Spoiler

testing soon

On 4/18/2017 at 11:42 AM, monyetswa2 said:

If I wanted to keep conventional factions from performing sneaky-cheeky maneuvers, would it work if I put them in the skip array at the bottom of the userconfig file?

For example:

asr_ai3_main_skip_factions = ["CIV_F", "BLU_F", "OPF_F", "IND_F"]; // factions added here will not get the AI enhancements

I wonder then could I load a different AI mod, like vanilla ASR AI3, for conventional forces, and exclude guerrilla factions?
What could go wrong?  

Reveal hidden contents

testing soon

In version 1.1 and lower it won't affect the PE_ASR_AI behavior, mainly because I forgot this existed. In v1.2 I will be adding a check for this. The short answer is that it will cause exclusion of certain features of both base ASR_AI and PE_ASR_AI. 

The long answer is that ASR overwrites the base unit classes to use our Danger.fsm instead of the default one. We cannot toggle this dynamically, so if you skip those factions then they will still not get the default Danger.fsm behavior. That being said the default Danger.fsm really doesn't do much, so I'm uncertain how much of the default behavior you will miss out on.

On 4/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, cpt.ghost said:

thanks for clearing that , in my case i see that the big deal with your enhances is that the AI take random waypoints to counter attack , in real life ( as a army soldier ) if you're the defending one you just can't counter attack as the enemy may attack you're position or may ambush you i think the best way is to learn the AI hold their position for as long as possible and keep maneuvering in the same line as a defending forces , in the other hand when you're attacking an enemy position believe me you just can't take other path or think of other path especially if you're attacking in numbers , its a big issue if you disobey the orders and take different path , i believe that the counter attacking waypoints must be deleted for 2 reason , 1- AI will stuck in his wherever position and will never go back to the original position ( this is something i witness in your enhancements ) 2- the AI still in combat mode even after winning a battle and area clear of enemies ( in most cases ) this is my vision to your enhancements but let me tell you im a big fan and enjoying your work especially firefights , wishing you good luck :)  

So there are a few things here.

1- Counter-attacking may be the incorrect move. (Particularly if AI are in defensive positions)

2- Counter-attacking units will not return to their previous positions.

3- Counter-attacking units will remain in COMBAT mode forever.

1- is the hardest to address.  AI in buildings won't counter attack unless you're within 50m, but trying to determine if our cover is superior to the enemy's is quite another matter. The fanciest I can really think to do is to look at the number of cover type objects near known enemies and comparing that to cover type objects near us. 

Handling multi-group formations is also difficult. Are these groups in a simple defensive line, are some in overwatch or ambush positions? what is the important of maintaining the defensive line vs removing problematic enemies from infront of your lines? Is this actually a defensive line at all? For now I'm going to leave multi-group formation handling to zeus and mission makers (through the ability to change each unit's attack response distance).

2- Will be fixed in v1.2

3- Will be fixed in v1.2 by changing the unit's behavior during their return wp.

V1.2 released

Causes vehicle crews to stay in if the vehicle has a turret (except for MRAPs, they're broken, crew will stay in forever)

Some cleanup in code related to attacking.
Groups will no longer attempt to counter-attack flying vehicles and boats.
Boats and flying vehicles will no longer attempt to counter-attack
Groups will now return to their original position after counter-attacking
Groups will now attempt to regroup prior to counter-attacking

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 8:32 AM, raptoer said:

So there are a few things here.

1- Counter-attacking may be the incorrect move. (Particularly if AI are in defensive positions)

2- Counter-attacking units will not return to their previous positions.

3- Counter-attacking units will remain in COMBAT mode forever.

1- is the hardest to address.  AI in buildings won't counter attack unless you're within 50m, but trying to determine if our cover is superior to the enemy's is quite another matter. The fanciest I can really think to do is to look at the number of cover type objects near known enemies and comparing that to cover type objects near us. 

Handling multi-group formations is also difficult. Are these groups in a simple defensive line, are some in overwatch or ambush positions? what is the important of maintaining the defensive line vs removing problematic enemies from infront of your lines? Is this actually a defensive line at all? For now I'm going to leave multi-group formation handling to zeus and mission makers (through the ability to change each unit's attack response distance).

2- Will be fixed in v1.2

3- Will be fixed in v1.2 by changing the unit's behavior during their return wp.

nice , will try 1.2 and report here

as for point 1. i understand ARMA engine and its limitations and i think if you work with fabrizio ( Bcombat ) you guys can make something the arma fans will never forget :)

wish you good luck

I've a few questions.

1) Do i have to deploy this mod only on my dedicated Server (Serverside only)?

2) Is "Pooter's enhanced ASR AI" a standalone AI Mod, or do i need ASR AI 3 also?