sickboy

Sync - Discover, Publish and Synchronize Mods - Public Beta release

Welcome to Sync withSIX.
The new Discovery, Publish and Synchronize Mods platform by withSIX.

After a long and hard time with SIX Updater and Play withSIX, we decided to take a new approach to the problem,
leading to a much more streamlined, stable and well performing result.

Find & Follow Us

Background

Vision

• Simple
  • Small
  • Fast
  • Reliable (as in stable and predictable results)
  • Flexible (as in easily support new use cases, and games)
  • Open (as in OpenSource and Public APIs)
  • Built with web-technologies (so we can be fast and simplify and unify our architecture across devices/clients)

Features

• Download, Install and Updates Mods and Collections [uses Delta patching to keep updates small] - Directly from the website!
  • Simple playlist design to quickly and easily manage the content you wish to play
  • Launch your game vanilla, or with mods or collections.
  • Publish Collections with optional Custom Repository content and Servers to have your users directly join

Projects

• Sync BETA (Source) - Background software to facilitate the functionality that a browser can't. Also includes a small UI to give you access to your recent and installed content, and settings. In case you are offline.
  • SyncUI ALPHA - (Source) - Don't like to use your browser or the mini-UI that Sync provides? Use this all-in-one solution.
  • SyncAPI.JS - (Source) - Want to build your own frontend with e.g NodeJS, Electron, or even a website? You can!
  • withSIX.com Frontend - (Source) - The withSIX.com web experience
  • SyncAPI.C# - (Source: TBA) - Want to build your own frontend with e.g Microsoft .NET, Mono, WPF/WinForms/WinRT? You can!
  • withSIX-docs - (Source)

Roadmap

• Sync STABLE release
    • Stabilize
    • Finalize functionality
  • Finalize and optimize the design/styling
  • Evaluate the desire for an integrated Server Browser (knowing that we are currently limited to auto-provide the list of required mods due to limitations in the Steam Query protocol)
  • Improved support for Mod Authors
  • Improved support for Custom Repository hosters.
  • Publish the rest of our source code.
  • Evaluate SyncUI and the unification with Sync itself.
  • Like 3

Welcome to Sync withSIX

Introducing our new web based mod management platform, you are now able to try out the first public beta release of Sync withSIX.

Whats new?
Interactive Web design

Download, install and launch any mod directly on the web. Get real-time feedback and status information about installed mods right where you find them.

All new Mini Client

Build from scratch, the new Mini client called "Sync" is designed to be small, fast and reliable. Out of the way, it controls all downloads and updates, keeping your mods ready for play.

c612a80b593f4c8dab445f203ae932f0.png

The new Playlist

With the playlist you are now able to quickly combine any mods of your choosing and select them for a quick gaming session or save them as a fully fledged collection. 

2f083758d96d41413f14538b268fc1c5.png

Full web-based collection management

You are now able to not only change the looks of your collection on the web, but fully edit all aspects of your content, including Custom repository and server support. 

The Library

In order to keep track and manage all your mods and collections, you are now able use the all new web based library function. Featuring a Home section you are able to keep track of all your latest updates, previous gaming experiences and downloaded mods. It also allows you to manage all your content including removing mods and collections.

bdc56e4d61259a1166f7c628790f325b.png

The Power behind the Visible

Even though you cant see it, we have changed almost all aspects of the engine behind the front-end, providing you a fast and smooth browsing experience.

How to get Started?

Simply browse to withsix.com and experience the new interface and functions yourself. Be sure to Download the new Sync Client. 

Important:
For the best experience, we strongly advise to use Chrome, but be aware, certain plugins, like NoScript and similar extensions can interfere with our platform!

Known issues:

The following known issues are still existing, though we work hard to resolve them in the coming days:

• Design inconsistencies with non Chrome browsers
  • Collection Editor design is work in progress
  • Custom Repository content is not shown within Collection view, only indicated by a Cloud icon
  • Local PWS Collections can not yet be imported to Sync

Whats next?

As this is a beta release, many aspects of the interface will change in the near future. You can especially expect:

• Major improvements on the collection editing page Design
  • Additional features for collections, like Optional mods and Load priorities
  • Collection hosting
  • Improvements for the Sync client

and much much more...

How to give feedback?
For ideas, suggestions hate and love, got to withSIX community and share your thoughts with Us.

Having issues and bugs?
Create a ticket at our Community Issue Tracker and we will help you!

Final Words
Thanks to all the testers for your patience and constructive feedback and to all volunteers, without you this would not have been possible!

• Like 3

So, just to clarify: Is this able to support completely private (i.e, squad-only) addons for distribution as well? I'm part of a squad that run with our own privately developed addons that we'd rather not release publicly, so would we be able to support the distribution of said addons amongst the group using this tool, and ensure everyone is up-to-date without them being available at all to the wider general public?

You really need some instructions/guides on how to use this. As it is, I'm afraid it seems even less intuitive than PwS is. Where's the settings to specify my game and mod folders, or launch parameters? How do I use the "Full web-based collection management" to create a collection that includes my custom repo mods?

You really need some instructions/guides on how to use this. As it is, I'm afraid it seems even less intuitive than PwS is. Where's the settings to specify my game and mod folders, or launch parameters? How do I use the "Full web-based collection management" to create a collection that includes my custom repo mods?

You can configure your settings in the Sync client, menu top right, settings.

I have some ideas on how to make this more accessible, especially since the primary UI is the web.. Will work on it..

If you use the SyncUI alpha, then you will find the Settings button in your library, but this is WIP.

Regarding Collections, you can create one in your library, add a repository to it, and then either import the settings from the repo server, or you can manually specify them in the add mod input.

Will see if we can get you some shots..

@doveman,

here are some gifs to help you :)

Create a collection out of a playlist:

https://gyazo.com/e01ecf68c9d80fffad1cc7b23edff41d

1. Add the content you like to the playlist by clicking on the + buttons on the mod cards

2. Click on "Create Collection" on the top left of the playlist

3. Add a unique name and optionally a Custom repo URL (YML) and server (IP or Webinfo)

4. Click Create 

To Publish your collection, change the State of your collection in the Edit pannel from "private" to "unlisted" or "public"

https://gyazo.com/28905c14f7b67e2be64059760d05fe9d

Edit your existing Collection

https://gyazo.com/7998bc89cf82b1042e1e2c75702aeaf0

1. Browse to your collection page inside your Library

2. Move the mouse of the collection card you want to edit

3. Select "edit"

4. The Editor Opens, you can now add/remove mods, change version etc. 

I hope this helps, will make a you-tube video some time soon. 

So, just to clarify: Is this able to support completely private (i.e, squad-only) addons for distribution as well? I'm part of a squad that run with our own privately developed addons that we'd rather not release publicly, so would we be able to support the distribution of said addons amongst the group using this tool, and ensure everyone is up-to-date without them being available at all to the wider general public?

At this moment you would host them with SIX Updater, and then add the repo to your Unlisted Collection. You can password protect the repo for additional security.

As per the roadmap we're working on eliminating SU from this picture, and to provide additional support for repo owners.

• Like 1

@doveman,

here are some gifs to help you :)

Thanks sonsalt6, it definitely helps being able to watch something like that to understand how to use the program.

Unfortunately I still find the whole thing less intuitive and more complicated than PwS, for all its faults. In that I have all my mods in a list, with the custom repo ones at the top, I can right-click on any one to change version quickly, etc. With this new web-based approach it just clutters up the screen with information that makes it harder and slower to do what I need to. It's a shame, as I had really hoped that the replacement for PwS was going to keep the good parts and improve on it.

You can configure your settings in the Sync client, menu top right, settings.

I have some ideas on how to make this more accessible, especially since the primary UI is the web.. Will work on it..

If you use the SyncUI alpha, then you will find the Settings button in your library, but this is WIP.

Regarding Collections, you can create one in your library, add a repository to it, and then either import the settings from the repo server, or you can manually specify them in the add mod input.

Will see if we can get you some shots..

I found the settings thanks. I had already found the settings button but hadn't noticed the Account and Games tabs under that, so maybe you need to make them more obvious as they kind of fade into the background at the moment. After watching Sonsalt6's gifs I found the add repo to collection button after adding a mod to the playlist and clicking on Create Collection. Not sure what you mean about "either import the settings from the repo server or you can manually specify them in the add mod input" though.

With SyncUI under WIndows 10 when I click settings a window with General and Games pops up but nothing happens when I click on either and the popup won't go away until I close the program. Also the latest client beta doesn't work for me under W10, the previous one does but after I update it just briefly appears in Task Manager and trying to launch SyncUI just gives me three instances of it in Task Manager but no other sign of it. Downgrading to the older client fixed those problems.

Thanks sonsalt6, it definitely helps being able to watch something like that to understand how to use the program.

Unfortunately I still find the whole thing less intuitive and more complicated than PwS, for all its faults. In that I have all my mods in a list, with the custom repo ones at the top, I can right-click on any one to change version quickly, etc. With this new web-based approach it just clutters up the screen with information that makes it harder and slower to do what I need to. It's a shame, as I had really hoped that the replacement for PwS was going to keep the good parts and improve on it.

Working on the web elements it became very clear on how much work has been put in PwS over the years by our little team. The first goal was to have a properly working system where all elements communicate correctly and quick. The library is one of the latest additions and will definitely grow over the coming months in functionality and usability thanks to feedback like yours.

The biggest and most important chunk of work is mostly done, now the slowest part starts where we add the remaining details and improvements.

Is there any way to update Collections that have a mix of Six-hosted mods and custom repo hosted mods yet?

For example, if I edit my custom repo to add a mod (and Commit and Push it), this is not reflected in my Collection which I've published and there's no "Update Custom Repo" option in PwS for this Collection, as there is for an unpublished, custom repo-only based Collection. If I import the custom repo again using the pws:// link it does add the new mod but also resets all the mods versions to Global, so I have to go through and set them again, referring to the Install button to check I've set them to the installed versions. It also breaks the link with the published Collection, so I have publish it again and distribute a new link, which can cause problems for other users if they've added other mods as they'll have to delete the old Collection, add the new one and find and add their additional mods again to the new Collection.

In fact, I can't publish the new Collection as I get an error about one with the same name already existing, so how do I delete the old one? I had a look on the website but couldn't see a way to do it there.

EDIT: I found both the old and new Collections were still in PwS with the same name, so I was able to Unpublish the old one and Publish the new one.

What size do images need to be for the Collection banner in order to display properly? The one I just tried uploading spills over the box on the website but in PwS it just shows it squashed out of proportion in the middle of a mostly gray rectangle.

sFXGWNe.png

Our new vision is taking shape. The release of the Sync client beta and updated web-technologies, brings us well under way to more focused on the core elements.

Providing a great platform to host and launch custom-made content for your favorite games.
We believe that with more support for customizing games will result in greater creativity and innovations. Allowing creators to reach bigger audiences and evolve the gaming industry further. Trends have shown indies getting more power and mods continuously scoring greater results. 

Our goal is to further help gaming communities grow towards open networks of collaboration and sharing. For this we are happy to announce that we're going open-source! With all our projects already available on GitHub, right now! 

Read more for the links and extra details!

Are there plans for quick and easy "click this link to install all required mods and join the server" as we had with Six Updater and Play withSIX?

If it is already supported, I couldn't get it to work with the new Sync.

For me, this is a critical feature, as it moves most of the required knowledge from the user to the community manager, and the user can just click and play after following extremely minimal instructions.

xGRDmxf.png
This sprint we worked on the processes of publishing and updating mods for authors.

Until now content had to be linked from somewhere else for our system to download it. This update allows you to upload content directly to our network, where we process it in real-time!

With this feature it's faster and easier for mod authors to upload and update your content.

Continue reading for more details

Are there plans for quick and easy "click this link to install all required mods and join the server" as we had with Six Updater and Play withSIX?

If it is already supported, I couldn't get it to work with the new Sync.

For me, this is a critical feature, as it moves most of the required knowledge from the user to the community manager, and the user can just click and play after following extremely minimal instructions.

Hi Galzohar,

You can create a shared collection, either public or unlisted, and attach a server to it, either from the web interface or from within Play withSIX.

You can then share the link to your collection, and users can Install and Join your server.

Is the yml format deprecated? Or should I still create a collection based on a yml file and just keep the yml file updated to change the collection's mods?

When I change mods in a public connection which I shared, will anyone trying to launch the collection automatically get the updated mod list? Or will they have to click the link again to re-add the collection?

Is there a quick way for a user to get to the collection I shared after he played with it once? Or does he have to add it to his collections (subscribe or whatever) and then next time select it from his favorites or whatever? It would be really helpful if there was very little room for error (on the user's end), both the first time joining the server, as well as the following sessions.

Also, can it launch and connect to the Teamspeak server automatically? I didn't see anywhere to define additional apps for a collection.

Is the yml format deprecated? Or should I still create a collection based on a yml file and just keep the yml file updated to change the collection's mods?

When I change mods in a public connection which I shared, will anyone trying to launch the collection automatically get the updated mod list? Or will they have to click the link again to re-add the collection?

Is there a quick way for a user to get to the collection I shared after he played with it once? Or does he have to add it to his collections (subscribe or whatever) and then next time select it from his favorites or whatever? It would be really helpful if there was very little room for error (on the user's end), both the first time joining the server, as well as the following sessions.

Also, can it launch and connect to the Teamspeak server automatically? I didn't see anywhere to define additional apps for a collection.

From my experience, you can update the version of a mod in the yml but you can't add any new mods, as they won't be added to the Collection. The only way I've found to add new mods in the yml is to unpublish the Collection, import the new yml and publish a new Collection which creates a new link you have to distribute, which isn't great.

How can installed mods be updated with sync? It's not informing me of updates or offering me options like playwithsix did. I went to the homepage and clicked update all, but it didn't.

Are you sure they weren't already up to date? It shouldn't allow you to launch a collection without updating it first, as far as I'm aware.

So far the only thing missing for me is the automatic connection with teamspeak. And I also haven't tested the Task Force Radio plugin installation, hopefully it works.

Are you sure they weren't already up to date? It shouldn't allow you to launch a collection without updating it first, as far as I'm aware.

So far the only thing missing for me is the automatic connection with teamspeak. And I also haven't tested the Task Force Radio plugin installation, hopefully it works.

Yes, I'm sure. I llaunched ACE 3 3.32 or whatever last version was multiple times. I finally got sync to update that one mod to 3.4 by clicking "diagnose", but sync won't list all the out of date mods, and clicking "update all" doesn't update any. I've opened in Chrome, Firefox, and tried Edge even though it isn't supported just to if it'd work yet.

@mod authors:

Following the direct upload+sync of your mods to our sytem,

We're happy announce the release of our Git support and the basic "Build mods from source" feature.
Basic, since we just use Rapification atm, and not yet Binarization (BI tools in fully setup A2/A3 environment).

- Ability to use git://  or http(s)://... .git urls for downloading pbo'ed mods (For example: https://github.com/sickboy/Test_A3.git)
- Ability to use any of our download/upload mechanisms  with source mods (to be pbo'ed and rapified by Mikero Tools), if you include a .withsix-ci.json file in the root.
  See for example: TEST_A3\.withsix-ci.json  or the whole TEST_A3 sample

We will look into implementing full BI Binarize support over the coarse of the next days 😃
And are still evaluating GitHub hooks so we can do "CI" (Continuous Integration) at your leisure grinning.png

Read more at: https://community.withsix.com/topic/111/mod-upload-git-support-and-auto-build-pbo-s-from-source

Yes, I'm sure. I llaunched ACE 3 3.32 or whatever last version was multiple times. I finally got sync to update that one mod to 3.4 by clicking "diagnose", but sync won't list all the out of date mods, and clicking "update all" doesn't update any. I've opened in Chrome, Firefox, and tried Edge even though it isn't supported just to if it'd work yet.

We addressed the update status issues yesterday :)