Sign in to follow this  
-gonzo-

quick video card question

Dear members,

I have been wanting to upgrade my video-card for a while. OFP:Resistance (1.96)  is the only real system heavy game that play. I am now using a NVIDIA GeForce 210S, a quick and cheap replacement i bought after my last one was fried.

I however have been getting lag spikes as opposed to my earlier set-up. My OFP is very addon-heavy. I´ve got 3072MB RAM, and i want to buy a Radeon HD5770. I use XP 32 bit. My question was, before i buy a card that will mess OFP up even more, if anyone has any experience playing OFP:Resistance with these relatively modern, high-end cards?

I hope someone can tell me! 

Thanks and good day! 

The weak point in this case is probably an OS. I'm also XP user (for various reasons), but recently I've upgraded my hardware. While I'm getting better performance than on previous setup (est. 2003), it's still lower than on comparable machines running W7.

So, first try to change the OS if You can.

I'm playing OFP (and ArmA3) on an HD5870 and an old I7 920, on Windows Seven 64 bits. Works nice, even if the limitations of the engine are still here.

OFP/ArmA CWA vanilla is not GPU-demanding so you'll be fine even with a pretty old card like GeForce 2 or Radeon 7500 or some integrated chipset. But if you run more demanding mods like FFUR series and post-processing programs like DXDLL, you will need a newer graphics chip (lets say GeForce 6600 or Radeon 9800). But you should make sure you have a CPU with good single-threaded perfromance such as Pentium 3 minimum, better yet a Pentium 4 or one of the newer, high clocked intel Core series. On my old Athlon 64 the game was quite laggy in big sized missions or more demanding mods but now I got Intel i5 and it runs much better.

You would only need a modern graphics card if you're running the game in super high resolutions like 4K, with custom, super big textures and programs like Sweet FX or ENB.

Thank you very much for all the useful replies. I am using a unclocked AMD Athlon 7750 black edition (dual core 2.7 GHz) so i thought that would be sufficient and i could focus on graphics. Yes i indeed also use DXDLL, OFP materials and a new sky pack. Also usually have my missions running with a bit higher visibility settings (1200-1800). lowest terrain detail. So i would have to look into buying a new processor first? thanks!

Thank you very much for all the useful replies. I am using a unclocked AMD Athlon 7750 black edition (dual core 2.7 GHz) so i thought that would be sufficient and i could focus on graphics. Yes i indeed also use DXDLL, OFP materials and a new sky pack. Also usually have my missions running with a bit higher visibility settings (1200-1800). lowest terrain detail. So i would have to look into buying a new processor first? thanks!

I would say buying a new processor only for OFP is a bit of a waste because it will never be fully utilized (single core game) but if you intend to also play ArmA 3/ArmA 2, then go for it. The new Intel Skylakes have the best single-threaded performance, especially when OCed. AMDs have worse single-threaded performance but you should gain some performance advantage at higher clocks (4 GHz and up).

Lol, i hope i won't break any rules posting in this thread again, but i have since updated my entire PC. I now have windows 7, i got 4GB of 1033mhz RAM, and my AMD Athlon CPU now runs at 2.9-3.0 Ghz (OC'd)

All this has done however is make things worse for me :( I now have a FPS drop to 9-13 in a basic firefight with 4 squads, and i have zero idea what can cause this, considering i have only upgraded.

I have looked around on the forums and i suppose that my current setup should be enough for a smooth experience :(

Am i missing something with windows 7 in this case? my OPF can only see 2048mb RAM, and my benchmark in preferences has only gone down :(

Product="Resistance";
Language="English";
HW_Type="Direct3D HW T&L";
Adapter=0;
3D_Performance="9615";
CPU_Benchmark=9615;
Resolution_W="1280";
Resolution_H="1024";
Resolution_Bpp="32";
LOD=7.500000;
Limit_LOD=0.019000;
Shadows_LOD=0.050000;
MaxObjects=256;
Cockpit_Textures=2048;
Landscape_Textures=2048;
Object_Textures=2048;
Animated_Textures=64;
Textures_Drop_Down=4;
Texture_Heap="16";
File_Heap="16";
Total_Memory="2048";
MaxLights=32;
Light_Explo=1;
Light_Missile=1;
Light_Static=1;
Frame_Rate_Pref=500;
Quality_Pref=500;
refresh=75;

Here is my cfg, the strange thing is that 3D_Performance="9615"; and CPU_Benchmark=9615; was actually higher with my last setup :( if anyone has any tuning suggestions, i would be very happy!

Thanks!

my OPF can only see 2048mb RAM

This is normal as the game can't adress more RAM, hence the common "out of memory" errors if you push the game too much. I did a CWA benchmark recently as I was motivated to find out if the game can use more than 1 CPU core like some older games can, turned out there is no difference at all if it's ran on one or more CPU cores and I also found out that general CPU utilization is rather low (up to 30% max per individual core).

As for your case, I guess downgrading to XPs could help. Other than that, I would really suggest a Intel CPU over a AMD one as they have far better single-threaded performance. This applys to the whole ArmA series, as AMD just isn't a very good choice for it. If you're low on budget, I'd suggest getting a G3258 and overclocking the heck out of it. You will get basically the same performance as with a much more expensive i5 or i7 in heavily single-threaded applications and games but for a fraction of the cost.

well thanks, but in my case i would have to replace my whole motherboard because it can't take Intel (socket 940)

I forgot to describe actually, the fps drop i get is connected to explosions, smoke and dust kicking up. Like for instance, i'm sniping and my scope slides over an explosion happening, it will drop to 13.

The same for example a single tank on desert island, i fire into the ground and look through the sights, it slows down to 9, when the particles have gone it immediatly shoots up to 75.

The same for a regular soldier, i place myself on desert island, fire a full auto burst, and the resulting smoke has already slowed it down to 30. 1 guy shooting. smoke's gone, back to 75.

I can put as much groups as i like on a map, and i get zero drop. This is kind of the frustrating bit, i have put special effects to 64x64 and drop down to 4 already but this doesn't do it either. Strange!