silola

[WIP] Terrain "X-Cam-Taunus"

Basicly ... the more objects/geometry are visible, the more work is needed for the CPU and GPU.

Taunus performes not like Takistan, because Takistan has much lower object density, for example.

In order to get good framerates @Taunus ... reduce the viewdistance first !!

You can't play Taunus@60FPS unless you use 500m viewdistance ;)

For me it's working like this:

Viewdistance 2000m >>> 32-50 FPS >>> depending on the area I'm looking at (the most settings on hight/very hight)

My system: i72600k@default >>> GTX 780 >>> 16GB Ram >>> @1920x1080

Silola

Ouch, don't get me wrong, Taunus is looking great but I thought you guys were gearing it more towards a 'normal gameplay' island instead of a showcase map like X-cam prototype map 1. 

Ouch, don't get me wrong, Taunus is looking great but I thought you guys were gearing it more towards a 'normal gameplay' island instead of a showcase map like X-cam prototype map 1. 

there is a rather simple solution

take it or leave it ... because everyday new fast performance islands popup ;-)

• Like 2

Build your own island, or use one of many that already exist. Where is the problem ?    I can very well play it.  I think for Live players a wonderful Map.

there is a rather simple solution

take it or leave it ... because everyday new fast performance islands popup ;-)

No need to get defensive. I only brought it up because I seem to remember the initial idea was for this island to be used in actual gameplay (with vanilla island-like performance). If that's no longer the course youre pursuing, thats fine, your prerogative as addon makers after all. 

Hey, the main reason for taunus was to create a nice looking battleground for our own needs, but release it to the community too.

We know ... with such a mega detailed map u will need a PC with respective hardware.

Sometimes we play a DAC mission @Taunus and it's works absolutly ok for us ... so the main goal is reached ;)

It's like a new game ... if u play a new game (with maximum details) with an 5 years old PC ... it sucks and u have exactly 3 options:

1. buy new hardware

2. reduce some settings ... viewdistance for example

3. deinstallation

But as I said long time ago ... I will try to create a second version of this map with low details ... for guys with hardware like a C64 ;)

Silola

• Like 6

But as I said long time ago ... I will try to create a second version of this map with low details ... for guys with hardware like a C64 ;)

it's not so much about C64 hardware but arma in general. Tanoa for example, as awesome as it is, already eats way more FPS than any other map before (except certain areas on Altis like Kavala). that usually means having to make lighter mission code so that aiming doesn't become a chore and overall eye strain is kept low. although that driving video you showed a while back looke pretty smooth. fast driving usually exposes bad FPS really well.

i'm really glad you intend to make a second version though. but either way at least the climate area the map is situated in makes sense for lots of fog for example.

i was wondering. do you guys know how the geometry occluders are set up? i was wondering, if that stuff is generated from the existing View Geo lods or if models have to be set up specifically. i'm just curious, if that technology will apply to all the CUP stuff too. that might potentially help your map's performance too.

anyways. it looks really awesome. keep it up!

PS: i love the new lighting. i know you had to tweak stuff to make it work but i feel like it made your map look even better. jsut my personal opinion.

• Like 4

This looks so good! But why are there Altis and Stratis houses?

This looks so good! But why are there Altis and Stratis houses?

Probably because the authors are restricted to the assets available. They're building some custom buildings from what I can see hut it's a huge ask to make an entire map of new architecture ? They look good to me ?

• Like 2

I think it looks stunning, and i am happy you guys didn't give up on it! Keep it up!!!

• Like 2

Every time I see a pic from  this thread I am just blown away. You have brought a level of realism and beauty i did not think possible in an Arma3 terrain. I know it is a long and tiring road to get a map like this released, but you really have done incredible work.

• Like 7

Many thanks, also in the name of the whole team  :) 

• Like 4

I'm trying to figure out why this map has such authenticity oozing out of it, but it just "feels" real. You guys go by instinct? Or follow a real world location? Or follow certain level design principles? Is it simply object count?

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out why this map has such authenticity oozing out of it, but it just "feels" real. You guys go by instinct? Or follow a real world location? Or follow certain level design principles? Is it simply object count?

Yes ... it's instinct combined with a large amount of creativity.

Basicly the main reference point is the sat map of couse. So if there is an area with vegetation visible, we create vegetation,

if we can see some areas with structures, for example, we build structures and so on ... but without any template or specification.

But I can not imagine to create this diversity and variation without X-Cam. Maybe possible, but Taunus would not exist without X-Cam.

Silola

• Like 3

Whoooaaa... how did I miss this one?  You guys are creating a godamned masterpiece over here!  As I'm merely entry level, this is quite inspiring.  Keep it up guys, beautiful! =o

• Like 3

What silola said,

This map is obviously made 1:1 to the real life terrain, regarding heightmap and areas (forests, villages etc.).

From what I know is that most vanilla arma maps are made with a ratio of 2:3 (i.e. altis) which can feel odd, at least it does for me.

Seeing Taunus screenshots that are authentic as hell is a special gem for me, every friday (please don't stop).

Cheers

• Like 3

A new level for this game, like a arma4. I will pay for it when it is released.

Save your money for new hardware ... :lol:

• Like 3

Save your money for new hardware ... :lol:

If all goes well christmas will bring a 6800k and a GTX1080.

And hopefully Tanoa

Cheers

The screenshots show incredible attention to detail and they look very authentic. There are several rivers in the real Taunus region. I wonder whether some of them will be in the map even if this would probably mean that technically you'd have to make islands separated by thin stretches of sea?  I liked the river in the old Celle map which provided some interesting gameplay with bridges that served as choke-points and boats and amphibious vehicles which could be meaningful as tactical assets.

The screenshots show incredible attention to detail and they look very authentic. There are several rivers in the real Taunus region. I wonder whether some of them will be in the map even if this would probably mean that technically you'd have to make islands separated by thin stretches of sea?  I liked the river in the old Celle map which provided some interesting gameplay with bridges that served as choke-points and boats and amphibious vehicles which could be meaningful as tactical assets.

There are no river in this region Taunus. Seen tactically there are plenty of other maps that you can use. Here it is tactically more to fight in large forest areas. There will be at Taunus no sea. Why at all these questions on an almost finished map ?

There are no river in this region Taunus. Seen tactically there are plenty of other maps that you can use. Here it is tactically more to fight in large forest areas. There will be at Taunus no sea. Why at all these questions on an almost finished map ?

Only 1 anwser to that, cuz people don't think before they request stuff here on the forums.... :|

• Like 1