jollysam

Request: More BI-created scenarios

Hello everyone,

I have a request for the developers of Take On Mars regarding the scenarios, particularly the manned ones.

I, like many, have had many hours of enjoyment in Arma 2 and its expansions. Like Take On Mars, it has a great editor and an excellent engine. However, very few BI-created missions and campaigns shipped with the game. The first game had two very short campaigns, and three single missions. The first version of IL2 Sturmovik had a similar problem. It felt like the developers were depending on the community to create their own missions for it.

This is fine, but not all of us want to go through the hassle of learning how to code and make missions. Nor do we want to play our own created missions, because we already know how to beat them! Yes, I can download other people's missions and campaigns, but there is no way to tell the difference between the good stuff and the badly-translated, badly-coded crap before downloading them.

What I am trying to say is; please don't let Take On Mars go down the same road. Yes, giving the community the ability to create their own scenarios is great, and I'm sure there will be many quality scenarios made by them, But please make sure the final game ships with plenty of BI-created scenarios too, if only to give us an example of what a good one looks like. Take On Mars is essentially a game, after all, not just an engine. The test scenarios that are in the Beta are pretty fun, make more of those!

In short, don't just give us the tools; give us some goals to strive towards.

Let me know what you think. Keep up the good work.

JollySam

Hi Sam, thanks for letting us know - this is a much appreciated feedback and we are glad that you'd like to see more playable content from us. Especially with the Take On Mars team, however, there is one limitation that we can not easily overcome: the number of developers who have the time to create playable content.

Right now, the dev team is focused on finishing the platform (= features) and there is little time for content (=missions), but I think it's safe to say that we have something in the works for the final release that could make you happy - a manned part of the game will have its own campaign when we launch. 

Hi Sam, thanks for letting us know - this is a much appreciated feedback and we are glad that you'd like to see more playable content from us. Especially with the Take On Mars team, however, there is one limitation that we can not easily overcome: the number of developers who have the time to create playable content.

Right now, the dev team is focused on finishing the platform (= features) and there is little time for content (=missions), but I think it's safe to say that we have something in the works for the final release that could make you happy - a manned part of the game will have its own campaign when we launch. 

Hi bi_raptor,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I understand the need to focus on the engine and features before adding scenarios. How about using patches to add the top community-voted scenarios from the Steam workshop to the game? It would encourage good scenario-building among the community, and save us crawling through the nonsense to find the gems.

Wow, yes, a 'manned' campaign would be amazing! I can imagine spending a lot of hours on that, so long as it was substantial. I assume that will focus on Mars rather than the Moon/Deimos?