BluePhoenix

The SSBN-X Project

PheU0X9.jpg

Hi everybody!

After seeing that the amazing US Naval Warfare is in progress, I resumed an old idea I worked on some time ago before abandon it for lack of time.

I follow BIS games since Operation Flashpoint. My favourite add-ons have always been ships and any kind of maritime vehicle. I noticed, however, that submarines were not considered too much (except for the GNAT mods).

So, I decided to create something on my own, and taking advantage of the futuristic ARMA III era, I started the SSBN-X Project mod.

What is the SSBN-X?​

The first Ohio class submarine will be retired in 2029: in the last years the US Navy started a new project called "Ohio replacement submarine" (or SSBN-X) for creating a new sub to replace the old Ohios. It is planned that the construction of the first sub should begin in 2021 and it will enter in service in 2031. At the moment there are only some concepts and art-works of it, and just few characteristics are known.

I decided to create a fictional Argo class submarine, which follows as possible the real characteristics of the project: it is approximately â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹ 170 meters long, and it has 16 launch tubes each carrying a new (fictional) UGM-140 Hydra ballistic missile.

I will also release a SSGN version, based on the real Ohio SSGN conversion submarines, armed with a new type of cruise missiles (some kind of “son†of the Tomahawk); some tubes will be converted to be lockout chambers for swimmers, and will carry a SDV.

All the submarines will be drivable and animated (open/close hatches, etc). I am recreating a realistic Trident-like ballistic missile launch, something awesome to see.

The models are almost complete, I will take some picture after I’ll have finished some detail, then I’ll completely dedicate to animations. I will probably release a first basic version, a drivable and animated sub, just to have something cool to spawn in the editor (but not static as the HMS Proteus).

That’s all folks, prepare to sail the oceans!

​ 

• Like 12

Will you make it walkable inside? Soo cool. :D  B)  If you would like ,you could talk to SAM-Studios,they have a prop of a Swedish sub in a poor condition that they probably would`nt mind if someone help`t them with ,rather nice model .

But it needs much work.

Another thing they have is a nice FCS for aiming the RBS-15 system,Swedish "Exocet" missile.

If we could get a larger SDV with more seats,would be great,something that could lunch a drone,maybe?

Maybe,could we get props of wrecked subs,to?Enter-able? And missiles (big ones) and torpedoes ? That we can blow up?

Maybe,even some sort of UW-cave? To park it in.

Maybe,Zeus-placeble uw-minefields that doesn`t show up on map? 

The Us Naval mod has some sort of Sub-rescue ship in the list of content-will you make us one? Would be a new thing in Arma world.

Could you make some sort of pod,container for missiles we could place underwater to blow up for Seal missions?  Or maybe,a SDV-drone that can go-ahead of main force,and show enemy boats?

Some one wanted a Trawler that was enterable too.

What about a Armored Suit?  With small props to propel it?

Looking forward to see the pixs.

Great mod ,keep it up!

Looks promesing, hope to see it finished.

Keep it up!!!

Will you make it walkable inside? Soo cool. :D  B)  If you would like ,you could talk to SAM-Studios,they have a prop of a Swedish sub in a poor condition that they probably would`nt mind if someone help`t them with ,rather nice model .

But it needs much work.

Another thing they have is a nice FCS for aiming the RBS-15 system,Swedish "Exocet" missile.

If we could get a larger SDV with more seats,would be great,something that could lunch a drone,maybe?

Maybe,could we get props of wrecked subs,to?Enter-able? And missiles (big ones) and torpedoes ? That we can blow up?

Maybe,even some sort of UW-cave? To park it in.

Maybe,Zeus-placeble uw-minefields that doesn`t show up on map? 

The Us Naval mod has some sort of Sub-rescue ship in the list of content-will you make us one? Would be a new thing in Arma world.

Could you make some sort of pod,container for missiles we could place underwater to blow up for Seal missions?  Or maybe,a SDV-drone that can go-ahead of main force,and show enemy boats?

Some one wanted a Trawler that was enterable too.

What about a Armored Suit?  With small props to propel it?

Looking forward to see the pixs.

Great mod ,keep it up!

Hi, thanks for your interest! :)

I didn't know anything about the SAM-studios project, I would be glad to help those guys but at this moment I prefer to work just on my work, I do not have much time for this either :( .

Anyway your ideas are very good.

I don't think it will be walkable inside: it seems the game engine doesn't allow to walk on/inside a moving ship (let's say the soldier stays on the same position sliding on the deck/floor of the moving ship). But maybe i'll release a static version that will allow people to walk inside.

I already planned to create a bigger SDV in the future, while using the original BIS one in the beginning.

I never thought of a UW cave... but I'd like to create some kind of naval base, don't know if based on a real one (it would be probably easier to start a new fictional miltary Island).

Didn't follow the development of the Sub-rescue ship for the Naval pack, maybe I could ask the guys of SSS info about it in order to create something nice.

All the others things you suggested... well, maybe I could work on them ;)

Looks promesing, hope to see it finished.

Keep it up!!!

Thanks Foxone, not as promising as the Naval Pack of course :D can't wait for it

• Like 1

Maybe you could make it so that it stays in one place,when you are inside and just move the picture while looking throug the periscope,and just update position when see it you from the outside.On/from the inside ,it`s static.Then it`s placed at the position.

About the cave;You could make it as a stand-alone and Attach_To...... use" _snap_to_surface",and place it somewhere.

In the new Eden Editor,it will be possible to place stuff much more easy. You can watch the webbstream about it.

SDV:you could use the sub,and cut out the placement of the crew,just make it bigger,stretch it so to speak.

Anyway,it`s nice to see thing coming .Keep it up!  

Sometimes I wish parts of Carrier Command's engine was integrated into Arma to solve the sliding PhysX when walking on a boat. ;)

Ok, here's an update.

The thing is going slow, also because i decided to rebuild the model from scratch. The model is basically over, i mean, probably i will add some detail but it should be OK, i've also tested it in game.

I'm starting the texturing phase, also this will last a while because this is my first addon and I needed to gather some information on the procedures ;)

Here's some screenshot, just to let you know how it is.sub1.jpg

sub2.jpgsub3.jpg

• Like 13

Nice to see you are still working on this.

Those screenshots look very promesing!! Keep it up!

• Like 1

With all the water on the vanilla maps, this mod could be a game changer. Looking forward to seeing it in-game :)

Really happy to see you're still working on this, great work. 

• Like 1

Looks interesting. Have you given any thought to doing something like this with your ballistic missile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trident_(missile)#Conventional_Trident ? Interesting enough idea aside from the whole "might unintentionally provoke a nuclear war" thing.

In the beginning  my idea was to create a SSBN carrying a replacement of the D5 missile (which should be retired in the 2040s) and a SSGN version carrying a replacement of the Tomahwak (but since its last block has not been released yet, I was considering whether it was worth creating something new or using the good old Tom).

The Conventional Trident Modification has some drawbacks (which are reported in the Wikipedia article), but I think it could be a nice idea for this mod, and I tell you why.

Although one of my goals was to recreate a missile with multiple nuclear warheads, like the real one, through a script that would allow you to select different points on the map on which route each reentry vehicle, I changed opinion for a few motives:

- I realized that launch several nuclear warheads on relatively small sized islands like Stratis and Altis did not make much sense (moreover, as far as I know, the exact dispersion range of the warheads is still classified). I do not know how much would remain.

- all the nuke scripts I know cause an important drop in the frame rate (so happens to me, at least), so I guess having many warheads exploding at the same time would not be a nice thing.

So, probably the "nuclear" UGM-180 will have a single warhead (consider it an extreme product of the START agreements), but I will consider the idea for the conventional weapon.

• Like 1

If you want a walkable sub-may be you could use the same matrerial as in the ramp for the helicopters? Or pavement.

If you want a walkable sub-may be you could use the same matrerial as in the ramp for the helicopters? Or pavement.

No the problem is not making a huge vehicle walkable but that when it moves, people on the moving surface remains in the same point, not following the surface and giving the impression of "sliding" on it. Probably the solution is giving the same direction and speed of the moving vehicle with a workaround, but at the moment I'm not working on this.

No the problem is not making a huge vehicle walkable but that when it moves, people on the moving surface remains in the same point, not following the surface and giving the impression of "sliding" on it. Probably the solution is giving the same direction and speed of the moving vehicle with a workaround, but at the moment I'm not working on this.

that should be done by the developer of this game right when this game comes out, sadly 

• Like 1

Textures are still far from being completed, but here's a small preview. Armed boat for scale.

vhmEIO4.png

fn28AD0.png

• Like 14

Oh yeah! Alright!

I am so happy to see that somebody is modding a submarine in arma 3, ive got these submarine mod from arma 2 and put it in an arma3 folder so i can use it in A3, but there are to bad for A3.

How far are you now with the Project?

always happy to see someone trying to expand the naval side of arma

This looks great! I've been using the old submarine pack from armed assault and arma 2. I can't wait until yours is finished!