Ranwer135

Scripting Introduction for New Scripters

For many years, I've been browsing silently, many handy forum like this one. Now that I have an account(finaly hit the button) and my english is a bit better. Just want to say a big THANK YOU ALL...for your time, and expertise. The arma community is amazingly generous and I hope I can give something back from now on.

Here's a dime, some advices that helped my learning curve:

-May be slow at start but writing manualy (from scartch) some basic code blocks, gives you a better/faster understanding of code structure and syntaxe. (copy/paste is fine but sometimes, less educative)

-Take the time to search any unknown commands on the wiki. May look obscure at first but digestion as to start somewhere.

-Actualy trying to assemble some script before asking on forums may help you understand the "gentlemens" that takes time to answer. It also give's you a better insight on what to search or ask.

-Since locality was my worst enemy at the begining, I used to script a "proof of concept" of my idea in singleplayer before struggling with the MP or dedicated version.

I know this is an old topic and may not be active but i need help coding mods into mission file. Im looking for help. Not a guide. if there is anyone out there willing to script it or walk me through better than these written guides would be awesome

• Like 1

Hey guys,

what is the best way to debug scripts, mods etc? I want to build a Multiplayer Server. An Exile Server and need to test the scripts fast. At the moment I waste all my time restarting arma and the server. Is it somehow possible to update scripts or reload scripts on the run for better debug?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Phate777 said:

Hey guys,

what is the best way to debug scripts, mods etc? I want to build a Multiplayer Server. An Exile Server and need to test the scripts fast. At the moment I waste all my time restarting arma and the server. Is it somehow possible to update scripts or reload scripts on the run for better debug?

Thanks in advance.

You can use -filePatching to load scripts from folders on your disk instead from PBO's. That also has to be allowed on the server.

And if you use CfgFunctions you can set a "recompile" entry that will cause the scripts to be reloaded each time you start the mission. So you then only have to leave the server and rejoin.

You can also just not compileFinal your scripts and refresh them manually via script.

On 10/15/2017 at 1:23 PM, Chris Roberts said:

I know this is an old topic and may not be active but i need help coding mods into mission file. Im looking for help. Not a guide. if there is anyone out there willing to script it or walk me through better than these written guides would be awesome

Most times guides are not helpful especially when you are a novice/new to scripting..sure you give the script but to someone who knows squat about scripts..would know what they are looking at..but explaining the structure of the script and where it should be place..and what it will do..is the way to go..and help novice/new scripters like myself...learn alot..more quickly..many thanks..to all

On 12/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, CHICKENLICKEN said:

How can you cause gib particles when shooting a zombie ?

Might be better to open your own thread with the question and do some searching around.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Particle_Effects

Look into this.

You will need to use "#particlesource" for createVehicle.

How do I make my mission override an sql file provided by arma (Warlords) and use mine in the mission folder instead?

I have tried to put

[this] execVM "fn_WLReputation.sqf";

in an init.sqf, I have tried #include in the description.ext, and to be completely honest, I don't really know how those commands function, I'm just experimenting.

10 hours ago, Kattemageren said:

How do I make my mission override an sql file provided by arma (Warlords) and use mine in the mission folder instead?

I have tried to put

[this] execVM "fn_WLReputation.sqf";

in an init.sqf, I have tried #include in the description.ext, and to be completely honest, I don't really know how those commands function, I'm just experimenting.

Definitely, this topic about some general hints to start scripting, not for coding something particular. Furthermore, warlord has it's own pages.

Please, follow the rules, read the previous posts, have a search and then, post at the right section.

I assumed that my n00b status meant, that I should ask my question in a thread that was intended for n00bs.

I have tried searching the forums, but I don't even exactly know, what an answer might look like, so I don't know what I'm looking for. I did ask the question in the Warlords forum, but since I'm not just interested in knowing the answer for warlords (that is just the given example), but the answer in general (that is to the question; how do you override any .sql file with your own modified file?) I figured it might fly in a non-specific thread.

I'm sorry for my bad, I apologize.

The main problem with using the wiki and other stuff like it is that it has no real world examples. Those who have actually done stuff, scripted something should post pieces of code they've used in a mission or scenario. Many of the scripts posted on the wiki don't do anything. An example is very useful. You download missions, scenarios and when you try to unpack it to see examples, well the way it publishes leaves you with squat to learn from.

BIKI needs a little experience. There are details which seems to be useless for novice, (usually SP writers), like AL AG, EL EG... I learned reading several times all examples and notes. The good exercise is to understand the examples, the alternate syntax, the notes.

In two words: be curious!

The most tricky, imho, is all displays and controls stuff.

Here is probably the main page for the Graal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alleged Accomplice said:

The main problem with using the wiki and other stuff like it is that it has no real world examples. Those who have actually done stuff, scripted something should post pieces of code they've used in a mission or scenario. Many of the scripts posted on the wiki don't do anything. An example is very useful. You download missions, scenarios and when you try to unpack it to see examples, well the way it publishes leaves you with squat to learn from.

I try to add to the biki when I can. I don't know if it's still the case, but biki signups were disabled last time I looked. So there is a shrinking pool of contributors.

There's a number of people adding and updating pages, but as you say, not many adding useable script examples. I try to leave the vast majority of my infile comments intact, partially because I learnt a lot of my scripting knowledge from the comprehensive infile comments of others and I want to pass what I can onwards. Also, sometimes I go back to old code and just don't remember why I wrote what I did. Mission folder is over 6 MB and some of it was first written 4 years ago.

• Like 3

I am hosting via Nitrado and I have made a CTI-style mission with respawn tickets. I have it set so that when you deplete the enemy tickets or take their base you win the round. This is working totally fine. Everything is working fine but when the mission is completed nothing happens. The only way I can get the mission to restart is by restarting the server manually which, as you can imagine is super annoying and I am positive that there MUST be something I am missing out. https://get-mobdro.comhttps://get-tubemate.com 

Hello:)

I think the problem here is simple. Bi need to make there game more editable and user friendly for none coders/scripters.

I bought this game for the creation side of things.I have 0 coding exp, i only switched to pc couple years ago.

I been going through forum after forum, post after post looking for help with what i wanted to do(Add a money system using the ingame money object as the currency, take over towns and earn money from them unless they taken back by other players also a shop to buy things from) to no avail.

Its all good having a site like this but its doesnt help people like me who struggle with everything code/script related.

I've been all over this site and so far and i've learnt next to nothing really...but i was really trying for atleast 2months but still nothing.

I didnt want to post asking for help as it seems even if a post is answered you still get people asking the same question from the same post that has already been answered...

so i see no point in asking for help. Instead i think its best(on my end) to just scrap A3 creation  because its simply waaaaay to hard to comprehend which is ashame as i do very much enjoy making/buildings things but this, this is to much when what im after is essentially simple.

One thing i hate to see is people defending this game by saying its old 11years+ or what ever but atleast in halo you could just put a dam spawn down and choose a side and delay for spawn yet this game (newer) doesnt have that simple feature no no instead i have to get empties out and put respawn_side in variable just to spawn a dam player oh and have to set up the mp side of it. If i want player to start with set kit i actually have to make a dam sqf for that??? like seriously?? why so daam difficult?. i can do that but the point is why, why does it all have to be daam code/scripts??. Even the modules are dodgy as hell you select the respwan module and you see nothing what you expect to see like side or delay, so so basic to have yet, it doesnt it...I hope no no I pray bi make there next game muc much more user friendly towards people who dont code or script.

I think before i buy there next game i'ma have alook at how the creation side of it looks like if its anything like A3 then i aint buying it.

I didnt come here to bad mouth or disrespect this site or A3, i've only signed up to say this. feel free to shoot me down But i know theres more people out there in my position with same simple problems than there is people who actually know what there doing..i just thought i'd come forward to say it.

If i understood ASL i'd be making things for years to come but i guess people love doing things the hardest way possible so minimal people can join in on it...such ashame.

@Jacko5141 Welcome on BI forum.

I wish you have fun in mission making/ scripting and playing Arma.

You're right, it's not so easy learning how things work. And you can't play symphony without music theory.

The first step is creating a simple scenario for single player. You can do so much things, only in editor!

And yes, all is not fine anyway. You can be disappointed using some modules or attempting to order some "basic" move to AIs without success.

If you know a game able to offer so much possibilities as A3, feel free to share it!

The good question, I can't find the answer in your post, is: are you ready to read, and learn, and spend time, and accept engine limitations?
If yes, you'll find strong help here.

• Like 3

Thank you for this Thread, I have been reading everything I can on scripting.

I am trying to make my mission the best it can possibly be me.

Everything is going pretty smoothly I just need to add a bunch of scripts figure out if they are working correctly and it's way more work than I thought, I have pages of scripts and code on my notepad++ that I want to use or think will be useful in the future.

The more I learn about scripting the more scripts I want to add and the more work I am giving myself lol

It's alot of fun in the editor though 

• Like 1

I am hosting via Nitrado and I have made a CTI-style mission with respawn tickets. I have it set so that when you deplete the enemy tickets or take their base you win the round. This is working totally fine. Everything is working fine but when the mission is completed nothing happens. The only way I can get the mission to restart is by restarting the server manually which, as you can imagine is super annoying and I am positive that there MUST be something I am missing out

I've gone through any and all search results relating to forcing an A.I aircraft to fire it's weapons, watched youtube videos, gone through wiki in search for proper commands and so forth to no avail.
I'm on eden editor, trying to make a basic bombing run with a mod aircraft, a Tu-95 from Pook Soviet Air Force Pack.

The test mission is based on just this;

The aircraft's loadout is only 25 x FAB-250's. There's two waypoints, however I can not find the name of the weapon itself and I can't find the command from editor wiki that'd display the aircraft's current selected weapon.

I want to say this to everyone who comes here looking for help to start scripting.

Go read the pages of ARMA 3 - MISSION EDITING & SCRIPTING. I've read pages and pages of posts of people seeking help with their scripts. I find something in 1 or 2 posts per page that I go "hey I think I could use this little snippet or maybe half the code this guy wrote".  I cut it out many times and store it in a text file among the missions in the missions folder. Also read the advice as to why this or that did not work.

I stink at it but I keep going. I was better at writing code before my wife died and I lost some stuff in my head after that but I am slowly getting it back. I'm old and do it to help keep my brain sharp, well as sharp as it can be anyway.

• Like 1