So I was looking around for some kind of wild animal mod for the Esseker mission I'm working on and came across this script: 

I'm wondering if it will clash with the way TPW spawns dogs? I'll give it a try and see what happens.

3 hours ago, ContheJon said:

I'm wondering if it will clash with the way TPW spawns dogs? I'll give it a try and see what happens.

It's a script that has to be launched from somewhere, chances are that TPW dogs won't be affected by it at all.

• Like 1

Updated the Ravage channel this past weekend, we are at 139 subs!

A question i have was wondering how you felt about putting Ravage on steam workshop, and or why you haven't yet maybe you had answered

this before but i dont recall?

Mission question

I'm working on a coop mission for ravage and 2 things i would like to know how to do if i may ask, is:

1. how can i randomize 2+ players on mission start?

this is what i use for a single player:

this setpos (getMarkerPos (selectRandom ["m1","m2","m3","m4","m5", "m6", "m7", "m8", "m9","m10", "m11", "m12","m13","m14", "m15", "m16", "m17","m18","m19", "m20", "m21", "m22", "m23", "m24", "m25", "m26", "m27", "m28", "m29","m30","m31","m32","m33","m34","m35"]));

In the player's init box i put the code above, then i put a marker all over the map with each marker having one of the numbers above, which works flawless.

How can i do this with 2 ore more players so that when at mission start they are basically next to each other, or start together.

Story

You and your friend/s decided to go on a boat trip during the late afternoon, and travel to a local island for a weekend getaway, during the trip there was a severe storm with extreme winds which

forced you and your friends to seek refuge in the cabin of the boat. Closing all hatches and windows to keep the rain out you ended up blind while the storm tossed and turned the boat,

leaving you unable to control its direction thus being thrown off course, after several hours of hanging on for your dear lives you hear a loud crashing sound and then a sudden explosion

of water blasts into the cabin, you end up underwater briefly whilst hitting your head you blackout.

Upon awakening you find yourselves strewn about on a beach, looking at each other in disbelief, you check each other for any injuries you might have sustained,

nothing but cuts and bruises, wondering where you are you look down the shore to see your boat completely demolished and smoking.

It seems the engine caught fire after the crash and burned a part of it, "lets see if we can scavenge anything" your friend says.

After looking through whats left of your boat you find most of your belongings, either burned by the fire, or missing, what now you ask yourself.

Bewildered and confused you look towards the land noticing some buildings in ruin, a desolate road except for a few broken down, and abandoned cars,

while in the far distance you hear random sounds of gunfire, "whats going on here?" you and your friend ask each other.

"Lets go see if those buildings have anything" you said, "were going to need to survive this somehow".

Making your way inland towards the buildings you seen before, as you get closer you notice a not to faint growling, groaning, and some unidentifiable horrific sounds ahead,

"wtf is that your buddy" asks you?  "I dont know" you reply "but its up there, lets go see what it is, maybe someones hurt"

Making your way towards the sound you arrive apon an opened door to the ruined building, dark but lit from some illumination of the sun you see a man in torn dirty clothes, his back to you

kneeling on the floor over a body in front of him, while reaching towards his shoulder to get his attention he continues making grotesque sounds and with a hesitant voice and a pull on the

man's shoulder you say "hhello", "sir!", the man begins to slowly turn towards you while at the same time the person on the floor comes into view, partially devoured and covered in blood

your eye's open wide and under your breath you give out a "wwttFuck!"

you look at the man in front of you, he gives out a gurgling growl and begins to standup moving as if he was crippled, you step back in utter shock, and turn to your friend and yell RUN!

Your friend who only heard the sounds, turns himself making his way to the dilapidated door from where you came, right behind him you both suddenly stop as you are greeted with several

grotesque stumbling figures making their way through the door into the room towards you, turning around the man that was kneeling on the floor has started making his way towards you, you give him

a swift kick knocking him down, he ends up falling backward tripping over the body he was kneeling over before.

Then you notice something on the floor off to the right of the dead body, "a gun!" you exclaim, you run towards it and pick it up, "an M4 carbine", you tell your friend to step back as you raise

the gun and take aim, he steps back with his back to the wall looking at the grotesque disfigured creatures coming towards him, you pull the trigger and fire, the gun gives a little

kick while the looming figures in front jerk backwards, you pull the trigger again this time dropping them to the floor. You step forward gazing at what you just shot at, the creatures not moving looks like

you killed them, you then quickly turn to your right as you see the disfigured person you kicked getting back up from the corner, you take aim at him and shoot til he drops.

In disbelief your friend says "wtf just happened?" "i dont know but i think i just killed something that was already dead!" you said.

You both make your way to the door stepping over the bleeding dead bodies that lay strewn in front on the floor, outside the ruined house you both make your way further inland,

avoiding being seen by many other similar decomposed figures lurking about.

==========

A little story i decided to type up here, i could go on with the story but only so much time left lol but back to the mission,

heres what i want to do:

1. random spawn at start for players but together, along with a ruined or shipwrecked boat

2. start players on the beach prone, the mission starts with the same animation and screen distortion like in the original ravage mission

rest i can do myself ;)

• Like 5

By the way, I've been toying around with the HoldAddAction introduced with the Apex update :

C03E6DCCCC9F9424C4682A58DCABCF9F8FA97B9E

Searching for loot is now much more fluid, with less clunky animations and, more importantly, you can interrupt the action at any time. This should be a big improvement in tense situations, like looting right next to a horde. ;)

I'll probably extend this to a few other actions like refueling and syphoning : the new system allows for all kind of cool stuff, like adding a chance to spill fuel when interrupted...

That stuff is going to be very usefull for a future update on the survival mechanics. \o/

• Like 12

Thanks for telling me about how that script works Haleks. And darn, that new HoldAddAction looks like it would fit well. Didn't know you could interrupt it either, that'll be useful for when I need to loot on the fly.

Nice story Gunter, it's well written! Have you tried experimenting with collectable notes in a mission as well? That's what I've been doing to add some story to my missions, plus it's a nice bit of writing fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ContheJon said:

Nice story Gunter, it's well written! Have you tried experimenting with collectable notes in a mission as well? That's what I've been doing to add some story to my missions, plus it's a nice bit of writing fun.

What BIS did with the new leaflets could be super usefull for this. When trying their IDAP showcase mission, I was brainstorming how I could use this for something like the competence books in Fallout, haha. ^^

Or plain story-telling - this is one of the best additions of the LoW DLC.

• Like 1

Oooh! I didn't think of using leaflets! I might have to do that, since I'm using the IDAP in this new mission and they play a supportive role, still bringing supplies and medical treatment to survivors in the Esseker region along with the US military providing security.

Hmm, using them like the skillbooks in fallout? That sounds neat!

• Like 1

@Gunter Severloh,

I'm not at my computer right now, but I believe you create a spawn marker that moves to a random position  then setMarkerPos / getMarkerPos of that spawn marker for your players.

If nobody comes up with working code before I get home tonight, I'll try and put something together for you.

...  forgot I had access to this:   link

You might be able to modify that.

Fire

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ContheJon said:

Nice story Gunter, it's well written! Have you tried experimenting with collectable notes in a mission as well?

Thanks, think it could be better tho, im no writer and when i do "write" i takes me a long time to do as i always reread everything, i fumble with words

and i have weak memory for things, takes me a long time to process stuff, but that story i actually sat for 2hrs on the forums here and imagined it how i wanted my mission to be

at least the beach part when the player starts the mission.

As for your question, no i can only imagine that a task would have to be made for a leaflet to act like a clue to something, which im guessing is the idea.

4 hours ago, haleks said:

By the way, I've been toying around with the HoldAddAction introduced with the Apex update

i really like that feature, playing DRO missions the author has that as intel on random soldiers you kill, and objects you collect intel for, its pretty cool as each intel you collect reveals positions,

bunkers, strongholds, and checkpoints on the map, so you really work in the mission, alot of fun, think they would make the interaction with things a bit more interesting, maybe even more immersive.

@FireWalker

Thanks for the information and mission example, currently for my one mission i mess around with i have the setpos and getpos of marker in my previous post.

I have 35 markers all over the map of Tanoa and and the code in the player's init box, when mission starts hes randomly taken to any of those markers, then the rest ravage does through the models ;)

thing is too when you get a map you see all the markers, i know about the deletemarker ...; command but idk how to create it where they are not there after you spawn.

• Like 3

@Gunter Severloh

You can select all your markers and set their alpha to zero. They won't show up.

If you want them to show before you spawn, leave them at 100 , then call a command after the players spawn :     https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setMarkerAlpha

you would set it to zero then.

Added:

What I was saying is if you create a "36th" marker and have it randomly choose one of you other 35 markers, then move your players to the position of your "36th" marker. So only the "36th" marker would get the random call.  You may have to use a "black fade in" script so that players can't see anything when they first spawn, because you would probably have to let them sleep 0.2 or so until the "36th" marker finds its new pposition. Then all your players would be together.

• Like 1

Anyone have a basic SP Chernarus Redux setup going that you could share? I tend to second guess my module choices and settings when making these things myself. :)

• Like 1

@Gunter Severloh I'll have to test to see if leaflets act like regular intel items. I know items like intel pictures placed in the mission can be scripted to act much like a journal or diary you can pick up.

By the way, if anyone wants the script to add notes to their intel items, here it is: 

data = [this,"RscAttributeDiaryRecord",["Title goes here","Text goes here",""]] call bis_fnc_setServerVariable;

Just copy and paste this into your intel item's init and fill in the title and text with whatever you want. This basically adds little intel entries that you just pick up, it's really simple. I believe I got this from somewhere else on these forums but I can't remember where! Whoever it was that posted this originally, thank you!

• Like 1

@Gunter Severloh

Ok Gunter:

Spawn an entire Co-op squad on one random marker.

Here is the link:  mission files

There is a mission pbo  -this was saved as a MP mission

There is also all the base files that you can open directly in the editor.    -I put some notes for you in the editor that will direct you along.

I left the markers visible for 20 seconds so that you can open the map and see them turn off.

Totally hijacking this thread right now, but it might be usable by some other Ravage players also.   (so I think its ok, lol)

If you feel its more appropriate, just PM me with questions.

Fire

Added:

Gunter, you're going to want to think about how you want to handle revive, respawns, and JIP.  Typically if I'm doing an open world mission, I allow respawn, but at a random location, with minimal gear to start over. Then the players have to work to find each other again. If its a mission with objectives, I'll either let them respawn near their exploration party, or not allow respawn; only allow revive. And once the entire party is down, then the mission ends "failed".

Same principle applies with JIP: if its open world, new players get a random start, and they have to work to find other survivors. If its task based, then I let players spawn near the party.

Take some time to think how you want the mission to be played, and I can also help you with these things, if you wish. (or anyone else is free to jump in) 

Edited by FireWalker
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Anyone have a basic SP Chernarus Redux setup going that you could share? I tend to second guess my module choices and settings when making these things myself. :)

Are you looking for one still? I have a nice little one, very simple, I use to explore Chernaredux and test the next Ravage update.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, haleks said:

Are you looking for one still? I have a nice little one, very simple, I use to explore Chernaredux and test the next Ravage update.

A mission from the master? Yes please. :)

Set my own up again and it's not going well (surviving-wise). Unless I find some water or food here soon I won't last long. Lol. Did find a truck in pretty good shape though. Which is excellent because I think I'll just sit in it and die there. :)

Yeah I'm second guessing my setup quite a bit so I'd love to see what you're testing with. Whenever you have a chance a link to the PBO would be awesome. Thanks Haleks!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Did find a truck in pretty good shape though. Which is excellent because I think I'll just sit in it and die there. :)

LMAO  :don11:

• Like 1

Okay here goes : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J1S463UMFqVW45VmZZMDNzOVE/view?usp=sharing

You'll need RHS, Frith's Ruin and IFA3 (with or without Len's weapons pack). I advice loading Pond Remover and Ravage CUP as well.

The vehicles module is not present, but feel free to add it, I'd suggest using a "low" presence setting though, unless your PC is a beast.

The mission is meant to be as FPS-friendly as possible while offering good NPC and zombie populations; no random player (re)spawn or fancy script.

Have fun!

• Like 5

Nope, it's one of the optional "sub-mods" included with Ravage (@rvg_apex and @rvg_CUP) - they should appear in the launcher.

Those files disable most ambiant lights and fuel stations.

• Like 2

So walking around last night, lonely, thirsty and hungry and knowing I would die a painful death, I got to thinking about rabbits (which lead me to thinking about a gutting knife because I didn't have that either :( ).

(Side note...are bunnies spawning on Chernarus Redux for anyone?)

Anyway, well, this lead me to think about hunting in general. Like not just rabbits, but something meaty and bigger. I realize everything is easy to ask for, especially when you lack skills. Figure I'll just put this here for posterity sake regardless.

The woods on Chernarus Redux feel like real woods. So I kept envisioning maybe a wolf, or a deer, or hell maybe even a cute goat or sheep waddling around that I could stalk and kill for resources.

I realize that the engine is limited, so I'm not talking about Call of the Wild or typical hunting game type stuff with blood tracking and whatnot, but I do wonder if ambient animals for resource gathering could be done, even in a slightly more expanded sense. And obviously even if anything like this could be done, they've have to spawn extremely rarely.

Just curious if any of you have ever experimented with anything like this? I know Spyder Addons has an ambience module which I think spawns goat and sheep heards, which is real neat. But aside from that I wonder what the engine can handle? Would add a cool element for survival and whole new way to play if possible.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

I realize that the engine is limited, so I'm not talking about Call of the Wild or typical hunting game type stuff with blood tracking and whatnot, but I do wonder if ambient animals for resource gathering could be done, even in a slightly more expanded sense. And obviously even if anything like this could be done, they've have to spawn extremely rarely.

It could be done, even with the current engine limitations.

The biggest problem, in my opnion, is that we don't have proper models for animals like deers or wolves. Shooting cows and goats is fine and dandy, but those animals don't fear men - the way it was called "hunting" in DayZ mod felt weird for me. Besides, those species would probably be the very first to be decimated in an apocalyptic event.

The thing is, you don't need complex behaviours to make something convincing, look at The Long Dark : the deers in this game have super basic routines, and yet it works pretty well.

The day someone releases fully animated wild life like deers or boars, I'm sure a lot of scripters would give a try at it (I know I would)!

• Like 3

I'd love to see roaming wolf packs in Arma 3, or boars that would actually chase you down and try to gore you to death. The TPW mod works find for animal spawning and other ambience for me, but the one thing I'd like to mess with are more monster mods. Werewolves, mutants, maybe even scary fantasy beasts out of D&D, but just something else to add to the woods and make it a bit spookier, especially at night.

And I totally didn't mention werewolves because the Esseker mission I'm working on has small references to supernatural things, no sir no way :f: 

Also, hasn't the newest DLC added fruit like oranges and pumpkins to Arma 3? I wonder if it would be possible to script something like that into the foliage, like a foraging system or something?

9 hours ago, haleks said:

Okay here goes : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J1S463UMFqVW45VmZZMDNzOVE/view?usp=sharing

You'll need RHS, Frith's Ruin and IFA3 (with or without Len's weapons pack). I advice loading Pond Remover and Ravage CUP as well.

The vehicles module is not present, but feel free to add it, I'd suggest using a "low" presence setting though, unless your PC is a beast.

The mission is meant to be as FPS-friendly as possible while offering good NPC and zombie populations; no random player (re)spawn or fancy script.

Have fun!

Hmm. I can't seem to unpack this PBO. Can't say I've ever had that happen before. Using PBO Manager, and I have no problems extracting any other PBO's on my PC. Anyone have any ideas?

16 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Hmm. I can't seem to unpack this PBO. Can't say I've ever had that happen before. Using PBO Manager, and I have no problems extracting any other PBO's on my PC. Anyone have any ideas?

Just tried. Getting an error when trying to open. Won't unpack.   Its not just you!!

Does Mikero have an update?  Guess I should check.  

Thats probably not it. Just tried a different one without issue.  (maybe Haleks has some Secret Squirrel stuff going on in there, lol)

Edited by FireWalker
Disregard -issue resolved -see Haleks below
  • Like 1