Sign in to follow this  
Rydygier

The best open world/sandbox PC games out there?

Pity, saving game is non-existing in theHunter, just walked long time toward mission area, only to discover, even found observation towers aren't anchors for resuming play, only very few camps. So after restart I was, where I started and all that time was for nothing... except walking through great forest of course. :) 

CotW is quite nice, but an alpha experience to me. UI is braindead and stretched vertically on my screen. They seem to have some untalented employees or a brutal timeline. Whatever.

Still I am experiencing "no sound" issues. Silent shooting :-(

I do not like the graphical experience. Close scenery is good. But compare trees in the far with far away scenery e.g. on Altis. ArmA far scenery looks much! cleaner. They just display the stuff, some AA on it, atoc maybe,,, done. CotW looks like they use tricks. Like upscaled 720p plus some effects on top. This is not in the normal hunter. You guys know Carrier Command? Graphic engine looks a bit the same. Feels very much like they made it compatible with poor console performance.

I mean, really. The first entering of the game, where cam comes down until the ground, then look to the far areas of Hischfelden. I was shocked, looks like crap. I thought they were joking. And a problem is that kind of shadow disco.

3 hours ago, tortuosit said:

CotW is quite nice, but an alpha experience to me. UI is braindead and stretched vertically on my screen. They seem to have some untalented employees or a brutal timeline. Whatever.

Still I am experiencing "no sound" issues. Silent shooting :-(

I do not like the graphical experience. Close scenery is good. But compare trees in the far with far away scenery e.g. on Altis. ArmA far scenery looks much! cleaner. They just display the stuff, some AA on it, atoc maybe,,, done. CotW looks like they use tricks. Like upscaled 720p plus some effects on top. This is not in the normal hunter. You guys know Carrier Command? Graphic engine looks a bit the same. Feels very much like they made it compatible with poor console performance.

I mean, really. The first entering of the game, where cam comes down until the ground, then look to the far areas of Hischfelden. I was shocked, looks like crap. I thought they were joking. And a problem is that kind of shadow disco.

To each his own I suppose, I think CotW looks incredible, especially at the close range (<250m) you hunt at. All game engines are employing compromises to keep performance up. Real Virtuality just uses a different set of compromises to the Avalanche Engine. 

I do agree that the game is definitely early access standard though, it's beset with a host of irritating bugs and gameplay flaws and oversights that should not have made it into release. The devs are rightly copping considerable flak for it but seem to be patching often. Fingers crossed that it becomes the game it was meant to be. I'm completely hooked on it regardless.

On the visual side of things, I have to agree with tpw, I'm still having "wow" moments during certain weather cycle transitions, those moments just after a rain shower.....just incredible.

But i also agree the game could have used a longer alpha/beta phase, because that is what it feels like at the moment, although i haven't found anything that i would call "game-breaking", just a few niggles here and there...the crappy UI, (man i wish we could customize that like we can in Arma)...but i too am hopeful the developers will continue nurture and polish this rough diamond.

And like tpw, i am also hooked, so much so that i just purchased the Tobii 4C eye tracker for that little extra immersion, very subtle but very awesome!    

12. patch just released, next is coming, so post-release support looks good so far. Don't see any visual improvements for 1.2, but some GUI stuff improvements are listed. 

Played it for a bit, there are some pretty noticeable changes:

Waypoints visible at any distance

Weapons are cheaper, ammo is 3X more expensive!

The stance/surface/noise mechanic now actually works

Squirrels and rabbits no longer sound like a hippo wearing a raincoat

Player footsteps no longer silent walking on rocky ground

Still urgently needed:

Mouse look smoothing

Ammo count in inventory

Adjust walk speed

Free look

Confirm exit to desktop

Bugs:

Scope bug on rifles if you've zoomed a bow first

Animals getting stuck on rocks or running in circles

Do you guys know offhand if CotW has controller support? I don't see it listed on Steam's page (so probably not but worth asking I guess).

57 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Do you guys know offhand if CotW has controller support? I don't see it listed on Steam's page (so probably not but worth asking I guess).

Yep you can play it with a controller. The movement is smoother too.

• Like 1

Dwarf Fortress

You generate your world, simulate thousands of years passing, and hop in either leading a colony or becoming a lone adventurer. a pebble of sand in a vast world.

Yep X4 Foundations. I will be playing that for sure, when released. Looks good.

I would probably put Red Dead Redemption 2 in this catagory. I bought a Xbox One X to play this and frankly, its incredible. The detail, world, game-play and existence within that world is very immersive and a big plus for a console game, looks amazing, feels amazing too.

Maybe coming to pc in a year or two, I have heard. I would buy it for that too.

Agreed. ^^

However I'd hoped R* would have given us more "sandbox" options to tinker with....how I long for the ability to slow down the time acceleration just a little, it currently passes way to fast at the moment. It's my only real bugbear with a game that is nothing short of a perfect single-player experience.

I'm not so sure I would feel the need to play this again if it ever came to PC, I'm also playing on an Xbox One X coupled with a 4K OLED and it looks just drop dead gorgeous so I'm not sure what value a PC version could bring to what I'm experiencing right here and now.

3 hours ago, EO said:

Agreed. ^^

However I'd hoped R* would have given us more "sandbox" options to tinker with....how I long for the ability to slow down the time acceleration just a little, it currently passes way to fast at the moment. It's my only real bugbear with a game that is nothing short of a perfect single-player experience.

I'm not so sure I would feel the need to play this again if it ever came to PC, I'm also playing on an Xbox One X coupled with a 4K OLED and it looks just drop dead gorgeous so I'm not sure what value a PC version could bring to what I'm experiencing right here and now.

I don't think the pc will make it look or run much better than it does now. But.. we will be able to map/macro controls, because I'm not that great with the xbox controller, I'm so use to pc. I would love to play it again with better controls.

Yes, I agree the day cycles and weather are spoiling it a little, but I think I forgive that, because it is an outstanding game for any platform.