thedog88

Operation Trebuchet - Total conversion mod for Arma 3

Funny you should mention...

http://i.imgur.com/BpZVJdG.jpg?1 (505 kB)

It looks beautiful. Looking at this it makes me want to play the silent cartographer lol. Specially this version:

I suppose there are going to be other trees other than palm trees too am I right? With both forests, plains and maybe some buildings.

http://www.busyboo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/small-house-island-02.jpg

I think we found worthy adversaries for UNSC:

I would love to see a mash up of OpTrb and this mod.

I think we found worthy adversaries for UNSC:

I would love to see a mash up of OpTrb and this mod.

That's easy really. What would be epic is having the Aliens: Colonial Marines mod go against the UNSC mod. For you know. Have the originals go against what the UNSC was based off of :p

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

Such a slow day today.

I work graves as a security guard and the site was closed so I was basically guarding a empty building. sooooo yeah

Alright, this is frustrating me beyond belief.

One, night vision devices. Halo does not go into depth with night vision devices, at all. They are present on the scopes of rifles and in the helmets only. Obviously this isn't the only way they would exist in a realistic Halo universe, but the Marines/Army helmets NEED, and I mean NEED a heads up display eye piece. That is how their NV functions! It is very obvious! The Marines in Halo: CE even had green heads up display screens on their eye pieces. The display eye piece is also present in Reach, confirming its place as canon.

Second, the radio packs! There are at least 5 backpack/ruck variants that I know of in the Halo universe, and only two radio packs. The radio pack in the mods are very strange, first from all the images I've seen, they appear to be (in the games, will reference Reach) gray or dark tan, not bright green (which doesn't really match any uniform outside of the ugly Army woodland, which has another inaccuracy, British DPM, will attack that violently later, with love of course) It also seems to look very different, here's a reference, 54fbd71111ee9609ddac187eade43478.jpg

Third, camouflage. I understand 100% that this has been stated before, mostly with references to the ingame portrayal. The UNSC is largely, if not wholly, based on the United States Armed Forces. DPM is a British camouflage, and I realize that you have artistic license, but it really kills the look of the soldiers. If anything, if you refuse to use the Halo 2-Reach patterns, at least use different variants of U.S. camo. The camo used in game is obviously based on the U.S. M81 Woodland camo pattern, with dual colors instead of quad-color. Halo 3's camo pattern is still based on the Swedish M90 camo pattern, again, this time dual colors instead of *drum roll* quad-color. Marine_Evolution.jpg640px-Soldier_at_Berga_navy_base%2C_Sweden.jpg

The digital patterns in Reach make far more sense (With the exception of some Army units using a recolored version of the Halo 2 pattern, the colors mirroring UCP), since digi-camo is considered superior to other patterns in specific environments (i.e.; AOR 1, MARPAT, SURPAT) but please, ditch the hideous DPM.

Another thing is color matching, the Army troops (1st Cav) in Reach don't have the same color helmets as you show them having in your mod. Their helmets are a lighter color tan than their body armor is, and their body armor itself is a closer match, in color, to your Marines armor in the mod.

These are all small things, and I am very happy with the mod, but these small inaccuracies really throw it off course.

Here's, what I consider to be, a big thing.

The SRS 99DS-2! It has a MAJOR flaw in your mod.

You made the recoil system into a "laser module"! This is horribly wrong. If you want to add a laser module, make it an add-on to the scope.

If I were you, I'd throw everything 343 related OUT the window. 343 is ruining the Halo series, after all, look what they did to the gorgeous Pelican, they made it look like a Hind!

Bungie canon is the most consistent and believable.

What I would love to see is a fix to the SMG. In Halo ODST, the first time it is shown (3D) with a suppressor, it is not perfectly spherical. Halo-3-ODST-screenshot-halo-34030565-1920-1080.jpg

As you can see, it starts off octagonal, and then goes round after a few heat-shield (the vents), which is most likely there to cool the suppressor more efficiently, given the SMG's high rate of fire.

Hope this helps. Lots of love for this mod. It's a dream come true.

Alright, this is frustrating me beyond belief.

One, night vision devices. Halo does not go into depth with night vision devices, at all. They are present on the scopes of rifles and in the helmets only. Obviously this isn't the only way they would exist in a realistic Halo universe, but the Marines/Army helmets NEED, and I mean NEED a heads up display eye piece. That is how their NV functions! It is very obvious! The Marines in Halo: CE even had green heads up display screens on their eye pieces. The display eye piece is also present in Reach, confirming its place as canon.

Second, the radio packs! There are at least 5 backpack/ruck variants that I know of in the Halo universe, and only two radio packs. The radio pack in the mods are very strange, first from all the images I've seen, they appear to be (in the games, will reference Reach) gray or dark tan, not bright green (which doesn't really match any uniform outside of the ugly Army woodland, which has another inaccuracy, British DPM, will attack that violently later, with love of course) It also seems to look very different, here's a reference, 54fbd71111ee9609ddac187eade43478.jpg

Third, camouflage. I understand 100% that this has been stated before, mostly with references to the ingame portrayal. The UNSC is largely, if not wholly, based on the United States Armed Forces. DPM is a British camouflage, and I realize that you have artistic license, but it really kills the look of the soldiers. If anything, if you refuse to use the Halo 2-Reach patterns, at least use different variants of U.S. camo. The camo used in game is obviously based on the U.S. M81 Woodland camo pattern, with dual colors instead of quad-color. Halo 3's camo pattern is still based on the Swedish M90 camo pattern, again, this time dual colors instead of *drum roll* quad-color. Marine_Evolution.jpg640px-Soldier_at_Berga_navy_base%2C_Sweden.jpg

The digital patterns in Reach make far more sense (With the exception of some Army units using a recolored version of the Halo 2 pattern, the colors mirroring UCP), since digi-camo is considered superior to other patterns in specific environments (i.e.; AOR 1, MARPAT, SURPAT) but please, ditch the hideous DPM.

Another thing is color matching, the Army troops (1st Cav) in Reach don't have the same color helmets as you show them having in your mod. Their helmets are a lighter color tan than their body armor is, and their body armor itself is a closer match, in color, to your Marines armor in the mod.

These are all small things, and I am very happy with the mod, but these small inaccuracies really throw it off course.

Here's, what I consider to be, a big thing.

The SRS 99DS-2! It has a MAJOR flaw in your mod.

You made the recoil system into a "laser module"! This is horribly wrong. If you want to add a laser module, make it an add-on to the scope.

If I were you, I'd throw everything 343 related OUT the window. 343 is ruining the Halo series, after all, look what they did to the gorgeous Pelican, they made it look like a Hind!

Bungie canon is the most consistent and believable.

What I would love to see is a fix to the SMG. In Halo ODST, the first time it is shown (3D) with a suppressor, it is not perfectly spherical. Halo-3-ODST-screenshot-halo-34030565-1920-1080.jpg

As you can see, it starts off octagonal, and then goes round after a few heat-shield (the vents), which is most likely there to cool the suppressor more efficiently, given the SMG's high rate of fire.

Hope this helps. Lots of love for this mod. It's a dream come true.

I think we've touched upon a couple things you brought up, like the camouflages and night vision. I do agree with some points like the camouflages (Not really a fan of the current ones, I like that ATACS-looking camo in the first pic :D) but in the end, it is not our decision but it is out input and suggestions. The devs have the final say and I would support them in any decision they make because it is their mod that they are making for the community.

Also, to all newcomers, if you have time you should go back and read all of the pages on the forum. It has useful information regarding the mod, it's progress and direction.

but in the end, it is not our decision but it is out input and suggestions. The devs have the final say and I would support them in any decision they make because it is their mod that they are making for the community.

Of course, I know this. But they have said multiple times they are trying to be canon, and if that is true, they need to ditch the DPM and etc.

http://i.imgur.com/RhHkfRZ.jpg

Caves are something very nice, would bring some very interesting gameplay to arma, plus these are perfect places for insurrectionists to hide. Itt would be nice if there was one that could be entered from both ground and underwater too.

http://i.imgur.com/fl22dcT.jpg

Nice, they look very similar to the Reach ones. I would suggest you added more variation: green, red , yellow/orange would do. also there is some grass that could have some more red/brown color:

http://wireframeworlds.com/images/vaccaroAnthony_haloReach_boardwalk3.jpg

http://wireframeworlds.com/images/vaccaroAnthony_haloReach_boardwalk2.jpg

http://halo.bungie.net/images/games/Reach/images/screenshots/e32010ff/full/Reach_E310_Firefight_Beachhead03.jpg

That would be beautiful.

So what kind of new textures for the uniforms are we looking at. That interested me the most.

Closer to what you see in Reach and stuff I believe. From Burgess.

How did you guys manage to make caves? From what I've heard caves were hard, if not impossible to make because of engine limitations. And rocks are a bit wonky in Arma, so that wouldn't be a gameplay-friendly option

Let's try and keep off-topic chat on the low :)

Yes please stay on topic, otherwise the appropriate punishments will be handed out.

How did you guys manage to make caves? From what I've heard caves were hard, if not impossible to make because of engine limitations. And rocks are a bit wonky in Arma, so that wouldn't be a gameplay-friendly option

A healthy mix of rock objects and the actual ground terrain. Arma still won't allow you to "burrow" underneath of ground terrain vertices, but we've found several creative ways to deal with that. Rock objects are fine 99% of the time, just like any other object in Arma, but if you find their weak point, crazy things will happen. As the map is very cliff heavy, we'll spend time looking for glitchy rocks and addressing them, but if you encounter any in game once the map is released, report it and we'll fix it.

foolish move of stupidity ~ deleted

Edited by Theronnett

1 less rude. More tact

5 This is a ALPHA. Not a Final release. Not even a Beta. ALPHA, meaning everything is a work in progress and if you took the time to read through the forums and reddit. Everything you brought up has been talked and is being addressed and you could have done that instead of seriously nerd raging like as if you were from the halo waypoint forums.

7 You know. the 343I comment truly is not needed and is a statement of opinion and opinion only. There are many out there who could debate you for hours in how you are wrong and you can debate back why they are wrong and it is still JUST OPINIONS and should not be made to do judgment calls. A true Halo fan would be someone who would do research and figure out why is the new pelican designed like a Gunship and not a transport. Or that the UNSC still has a whole fleet of the old pelicans and are not going anywhere because they are not so loaded down with heavy ordnance. They can carry far larger payloads of equipment. Someone who served in real military would have spotted this difference and accept that nothing has changed. The UNSC just has new toys to add to its mighty collection.

So chill. Relax and go all the way to page one and do some reading before you go all crazy on us.

1. I'd say he isn't being as much as rude as he is concerned.

5. Isn't it somewhat rude to insult his attempt to help the mod by calling it nothing more than "nerd rage"? Could he have toned it down and worded it better? Yes. Could you? Yes.

7. I do believe it is needed, as it's going to be an issue eventually with the mod and I can sense the community being divided by it. The subject will have to come up, IMO, unless the devs settle it by saying how deep they'll be going into 343I "lore"...and how it'll mix with Bungie lore. Just something to avoid the "who has better lore" war.

Again, I don't see him acting crazy, just someone who wants to help because he's worried. I'm worried about some things, and I have friends who play this mod who are worried.

Just my two cents, I suppose.

Edited by Snowba11

5. Isn't it somewhat rude to insult his attempt to help the mod by calling it nothing more than "nerd rage"? Could he have toned it down and worded it better? Yes. Could you? Yes.

7. I do believe it is needed, as it's going to be an issue eventually with the mod and I can sense the community being divided by it. The subject will have to come up, IMO, unless the devs settle it by saying how deep they'll be going into 343I "lore"...and how it'll mix with Bungie lore. Just something to avoid the "who has better lore" war.

Again, I don't see him acting crazy, just someone who wants to help because he's worried. I'm worried about some things, and I have friends who play this mod who are worried.

I agree, no need to be rude and call him names. He's only trying to help by showing his concerns.

You know. You say the community is split by 343 lore and bungie lore. But the thing is. WE'RE does the lore change. The Halo 1-Reach pelican exist. The halo 4 Pelican exsist at the same time. The weapons. The BR55 is still around along with the BR85. Insurrection. Still there. EVERYTHING is still there. So what is the problem. You all know the main writers for the original halo games quit Bungie and Joined 343I you think they would have done that is 343 was really ruining halo lore

But concerns possibly. From my perspective. It really seemed like he was demanding more then concerned. If you see it differently, then it's a Obi-Wan matter of different point of views. But it really just read like a post on the halo waypoint forums if you guys are on there often. You see it

Edited by Theronnett

Rude, I was not.

Lovingly sarcastic, I was. Thank you for defending me.

1 less rude. More tact

2 all these issues have been addressed and are being worked into the mod

3 if you go to this link, I went IN DETAIL the Reach armor sets http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?190567-Operation-Trebuchet-Total-conversion-mod-for-Arma-3&p=2926837&viewfull=1#post2926837 so the devs are tracking on uniforms.

4 you need to chill out. A tad.

5 This is a ALPHA. Not a Final release. Not even a Beta. ALPHA, meaning everything is a work in progress and if you took the time to read through the forums and reddit. Everything you brought up has been talked and is being addressed and you could have done that instead of seriously nerd raging like as if you were from the halo waypoint forums.

6 The Devs are working hard and are doing great work here. And have, as stated, addressed these issues and have posted updates on how they are doing it.

7 You know. the 343I comment truly is not needed and is a statement of opinion and opinion only. There are many out there who could debate you for hours in how you are wrong and you can debate back why they are wrong and it is still JUST OPINIONS and should not be made to do judgment calls. A true Halo fan would be someone who would do research and figure out why is the new pelican designed like a Gunship and not a transport. Or that the UNSC still has a whole fleet of the old pelicans and are not going anywhere because they are not so loaded down with heavy ordnance. They can carry far larger payloads of equipment. Someone who served in real military would have spotted this difference and accept that nothing has changed. The UNSC just has new toys to add to its mighty collection.

So chill. Relax and go all the way to page one and do some reading before you go all crazy on us.

Many Thanks

From you local Combat Veteran.

Way to tell me things I already acknowledged in my post, bud. You don't have to inform everyone that you were a combat veteran, it's irrelevant. Doesn't give you any leverage. Doesn't give me a reason to respect you. That will be judged based on character, and from your previous posts, if anyone is rude- it's you.

Your post doesn't go into depth with the origins of the camouflage, you simply posted a bunch of Imgur links with screenshots of the variations without even using the "Insert Image" feature.

Useful? Yes. Annoying and lazy? Yes.

I went far more into depth with this than you did, with the exception of every color variation since they aren't as important as the base camo. They can always come later.

Primary camo comes first, obviously.

I have not seen a single mention of the radio packs, nor the SMG's suppressor being horribly inaccurate.

So, rather than PMS'ing at me, and started a flame war, why don't you simply acknowledge my points?

It is fact that Bungie was far better with Halo than 343 is. Almost none of the design changes that occur in 343's games make sense. The cockpit on the Pelican is a massive, illogical downgrade from the original design, which actually made sense for an aircraft capable of space flight and atmospheric flight. Bungie was far, far more realistic with their games that 343 was, as well. Reach stands as a testament for the Halo series, showing a grittier reality of the war.

I did not disrespect, nor was I rude to, the devs. I even praised them.

Again, quit using your military service as an excuse to act like you know EVERYTHING about FUTURISTIC FICTIONAL TECHNOLOGY.

There is also no proof supporting your claim that the older pelicans can carry more than the newer, 343 designed ones. Actually, the D79H-TC carries 15-20 troops while the D77H-TCI carries 10-15 and so does the D77-TC. It would be extremely illogical for it to be underperforming compared to its predecessors, and if it is- that's further evidence that 343's logic should not be applied at all.

The Pelican has been portrayed as a gunship since Halo 3, and Reach confirms it being used as a gunship before the events of Halo 1, 2 & 3. So please, tell me how I'm wrong when YOU are wrong yourself. The D79H-Tc has no logic in its design. Two short barreled Gatling guns? Useless in reality. They would be so inaccurate, future tech or not, these are basic firearm principles. The fixed pylons? They would drastically decrease maneuverability and increase drag just by their design. The AV8 esque VTOL thrusters? Lol, please. Those wouldn't be powerful enough to lift it, and they'd be so unstable due to the lack of the an anhedral design, one of the most important features of the AV8's design. Without it, the plane wouldn't be stable at all. The original Pelican design was logical, the belly creating additional lift, with multiple thrusters on the wing mounted engines providing balance.

Not only that, but the crew compartment redesign with the D79H-TC IS ILLOGICAL AS HECK. They literally took away one of the Pelicans most important features for space travel, the connection between cargo and pilot compartment. How do you propose pilots would get to the back and commanders would get to the front, without putting on a space suit and traveling out to the front?

Don't argue with me. I wasn't attacking nor arguing with anyone prior to this. I wasn't demanding anything. You can call me rude but all you have done is instigate.

Edited by Op3r8r

You know. You say the community is split by 343 lore and bungie lore. But the thing is. WE'RE does the lore change. The Halo 1-Reach pelican exist. The halo 4 Pelican exsist at the same time. The weapons. The BR55 is still around along with the BR85. Insurrection. Still there. EVERYTHING is still there. So what is the problem. You all know the main writers for the original halo games quit Bungie and Joined 343I you think they would have done that is 343 was really ruining halo lore

But concerns possibly. From my perspective. It really seemed like he was demanding more then concerned. If you see it differently, then it's a Obi-Wan matter of different point of views. But it really just read like a post on the halo waypoint forums if you guys are on there often. You see it

If you truly want to discuss it, it'd be wise as to take it into PM. Last thing I want is yet another civil war with the mod as with what happened with TEI.

Am I the one to discuss it with you? No, but I'm sure Op3r8r or Ioan would be happy to debate with you. I'm just saying that if there's a divide, it will open at one point or another.

If you truly want to discuss it, it'd be wise as to take it into PM. Last thing I want is yet another civil war with the mod as with what happened with TEI.

Am I the one to discuss it with you? No, but I'm sure Op3r8r or Ioan would be happy to debate with you. I'm just saying that if there's a divide, it will open at one point or another.

True, I concede

I agree, I have no intentions to continue this petty debate/argument on this thread after my last statement. I will continue to add my input to aid this mod, as should everyone.

True, I concede
I agree, I have no intentions to continue this petty debate/argument on this thread after my last statement. I will continue to add my input to aid this mod, as should everyone.

Good to see an agreement on this, at least.

D79H-TC IS ILLOGICAL AS HECK. They literally took away one of the Pelicans most important features for space travel, the connection between cargo and pilot compartment. How do you propose pilots would get to the back and commanders would get to the front, without putting on a space suit and traveling out to the front?

Does have access to front and back, Just need to look on the Inside, Not outside,

Can clearly see Thorne and Majestic Behind Palmer holding her chair