2 hours ago, Woofier said:

Broh, just turn down the ingame difficulty sliders

They are at the lowest setting, still get headshots from 300M. If you are constantly spotted at 300M, you dont get far. 

20 minutes ago, FireWalker said:

@daedum

How are you hosting these missions?  Locally off your machine or on a dedicated?

I am hosting it locally off my machine. My machines game difficulty settings are on the lowest possible. I have altered Escapes settings to be low too. I have always played at cadet level and would kill usually about 40 people each game, successful or not. Now I am lucky to kill 5 people before the game ends. Before the update, soldiers would usually shoot around me and then eventually hitting me in the body. Now its very common to be sitting far away from enemy and just randomly die from a headshot. 

1 minute ago, daedum said:

Sorry, unfortunately, I'm unable to help you. I have very little experience running MP missions locally.

Fire

On 15.9.2017 at 10:54 PM, Woofier said:

Thanks for the help mate! Will send you a PM.

Some more questions:

- Will ZBE cache interfere with the mission?

- I tried spawning planes by copy-pasting the boat codes, but it didn't work :(

class Item270                //Tuvanaka Airport
        {
            [...] snip [...]
            id=447;
            type="O_Heli_Transport_04_bench_F";
            [...] snip [...]
            };

I don't know if it will interfere, but the units are already cached, so even if not it won't really help. You can adjust the parameter for spawn distance already, so maybe put that on low for better performance, especially when on an island with many zones. Combined with a long view distance you might be able to spot them spawning in though, for example when observing a camp from a hill while the rest of the team moves in.

Replacing the units through mission.sqm editing is easy, or changing the probability, but adding something is hard. You'd have to change that Item270 to something else, I think they have to be numbered consecutively, I think the id needs to be unique too, and theres a number somewhere up top saying how many items there are. And you'd have to get your position from another mission. So it's not worth it adding it by hand to the mission.sqm, just unpack the .pbo and open up the mission in the editor, place everything there. We probably won't change the mission.sqm on an already working island, so you can just replace it again when we do a new code update.

21 hours ago, daedum said:

I am hosting it locally off my machine. My machines game difficulty settings are on the lowest possible. I have altered Escapes settings to be low too. I have always played at cadet level and would kill usually about 40 people each game, successful or not. Now I am lucky to kill 5 people before the game ends. Before the update, soldiers would usually shoot around me and then eventually hitting me in the body. Now its very common to be sitting far away from enemy and just randomly die from a headshot. 

Are you playing the RHS version by chance? There is currently a bug with most of their units after one of the new Arma updates, so they mostly die from a single hit. See here:

So in addition to the AI now spotting you earlier they don't need to hit your head, they probably don't shoot better, but all those previously wounding shots are lethal now.

Regarding the AI skill settings, I remember them being broken and/or inconsistent in MP some time ago. They were disabled in the mission back then. No idea if BIS properly fixed that, and if the mission setting is active again. That parameter might not change any of their skills, I'll have to ask Neo about that.

• Like 1

Caching will most likely interfere with Escape as it uses it's own caching system. Even if it works, you will most likely not gain any performance from it.

You can't really edit a sqm in texteditor, you need to open the mission in the ingame editor and place planes by hand.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. I tried to open the mission in editor, but it just gave me a generic loading error. Any suggestions to how I can make it work?

On 9/16/2017 at 2:48 PM, scruffy said:

Are you playing the RHS version by chance? There is currently a bug with most of their units after one of the new Arma updates, so they mostly die from a single hit. See here:

I've actually been playing Cup (SLA vs USMC) malden and also Tanoa.

11 hours ago, Woofier said:

Thanks for the tip. I tried to open the mission in editor, but it just gave me a generic loading error. Any suggestions to how I can make it work?

No problem here, starting just vanilla A3 and loading this unpacked version of build 137: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ifs72kdf7yt7ose/AABvgxdf-IdGlh2JUuG_4dsRa?dl=0

I'm using mikeros ExtractPBO to unpack .pbos

Also I sometimes noticed when loading a mission in Eden it will without error just load into VR world, I then have to open the mission again so it loads the proper island. That's not what you are seeing?

2 hours ago, daedum said:

I've actually been playing Cup (SLA vs USMC) malden and also Tanoa.

We played the last few days (also CUP) and can attest to the AI being all around deadlier. No idea why we didn't notice before, maybe we were lucky with our island choices? We definitely didn't notice the longer spotting distances on Porto :D

In regards to AI sharpshooting... Our playing group noticed that the difficulty in successfully escaping seemed to increase quite a bit since Malden 2035 released. No settings on our dedicated server have been changed. I'm not terribly worried about, we've come to accept that Escape is a cruel game... :)

Also, I think I've uncovered yet another bug that can prevent the extraction helos from activating on smoke.

There is a common problem with the 3DEN editor that cropped up when they went 3D. When map makers copy & paste markers, they sometimes get pasted into an invalid elevation state. For some reason they don't snap to the proper AGL elevation and it can render them unusable, especially for scripts that rely on proximity to fire. I don't think there is anything you can do to avoid this happening, other than not pasting markers and manually placing them each time.

This can be seen by opening up the Malden 2035 escape and checking out evac markers at 17. When in the 2D editor, select one of the markers at 17. Then right click on it and select "Go Here." You'll notice that the 3D camera clips into the terrain and you get the old "hall of mirrors" effect on the screen. I can attest that every time we've received that position for extraction, smoke grenades have never worked.

The only way I've been able to fix this is to delete the existing markers and manually placing new markers on the map to replace them. Dragging a bugged marker doesn't seem to ever fix it, nor does manually editing the elevation in the SQM file. I've been meaning to contact the devs of 3den Enhanced and asking if they could make a function that would allow you to snap a marker to ground level. 

On 9/18/2017 at 0:56 PM, scruffy said:

We played the last few days (also CUP) and can attest to the AI being all around deadlier. No idea why we didn't notice before, maybe we were lucky with our island choices? We definitely didn't notice the longer spotting distances on Porto :D

Chernarus is almost unplayable because the big open fields and the longer spotting distances of the AI. Malden is unplayable because of the number of spawn points on that island. You try and get away and some new spawned troops see you right away. Bring in the presence of a helicopter on both maps and its not fun. Tanoa has been playable because I can escape into the jungle, but if you for one second pop out for a second with a clear view towards an enemy, forget it. They shoot right away.

One new thing I noticed is that the AI started shooting through gaps in the walls in the prison again. For some reason this was happening in 1.7 and seemed to stop somewhere during 1.8. When they were doing this, it was stupid and not even fun. But because of the superhuman spotting with the new update, they are again firing through the gaps. I HATE IT. 

NeoArmageddon and Scruffy can you please investigate the difficulty settings. Playing with groups of 3+ has a significant difference versus playing with 1 or 2 people. I have my own game difficulty settings set to 0.0....yes ZERO. and I even have reduced damage set to on now, just so i can attempt to play Escape. But obviously this has no effect on the AI. I am playing on Cadet too. To me the game has changed drastically and its becoming not fun to play anymore. 

I would be careful making any kind of drastic changes to the mission itself. Other people may be having different results. (for instance our dedicated server is running the same as before from what I can tell, but we can set AI difficulties separate on the server).

If changes seem to be have to be made I would rather see a parameter setting for it.

Personally, we've always thought the AI was a little too dumb.

Fire

2 hours ago, FireWalker said:

I would be careful making any kind of drastic changes to the mission itself. Other people may be having different results. (for instance our dedicated server is running the same as before from what I can tell, but we can set AI difficulties separate on the server).

If changes seem to be have to be made I would rather see a parameter setting for it.

Personally, we've always thought the AI was a little too dumb.

Fire

yeah i dont think any changes need to happen other than to tweak the settings. Every time I have played in a group being hosted on a dedicated server, the settings have always been set to Normal. I would think that maybe only Cadet and possibly Easy needs to be tweaked. I looked into the SQM file and tried changing the settings for it, but I didnt see any change to the AI. It was the first time that I've tried changing a sqm file so i could have possibly just done it wrong and it had no effect on the mission.

It seems that Cadet, Easy, Normal, etc are all given a value. That value is then used to mulitply against the AI sub skills which have their own value. All the AI skills listed here: AI sub skills.

Devbuild 139 fixed a logic bug and tweaked some values. Especially "Cadet" and "Easy" are easier now (Easy comparable to before the AI patch) and "Normal" should be as it was meant to be back in early A3.

Please note that the AI in the last year was dumber as intended as BI broke AI a few patches back. Now it is more like it was meant to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeoArmageddon said:

Devbuild 139 fixed a logic bug and tweaked some values. Especially "Cadet" and "Easy" are easier now (Easy comparable to before the AI patch) and "Normal" should be as it was meant to be back in early A3.

Please note that the AI in the last year was dumber as intended as BI broke AI a few patches back. Now it is more like it was meant to be.

Thanks! I will test this tonight and report back. I also lol'ed at "Experimental lobotomy performed on AI." in the changelog.

I played the latest build of Tanoa CUP SLA vs USMC on cadet and it looks like the AI are now less accurate and the spotting distance or time is now a lot lower. It was still a bit harder but much closer to their previous state before the lastest Arma update. Thanks for fixing that.  i will try out Malden tonight, but Malden is one hell of a map to escape from. The number of spawn points for enemy is crazy.

One thing that might be different is when you pick up the backpack inside the prison the alarm goes off. I remember the alarm going off only when you open the door to the prison. One problem with this is when you are in the new smaller prison (fence door, 2 windows, corrugated steel) it makes the enemy aggressive right away and they can shoot through the door and kill you before you are able to equip a pistol. Sometimes the enemy is not near the door but a couple times they were and ended the match real quick. It would be nice if the alarm went off only when the prison door opened.

18 minutes ago, daedum said:

One thing that might be different is when you pick up the backpack inside the prison the alarm goes off. I remember the alarm going off only when you open the door to the prison. One problem with this is when you are in the new smaller prison (fence door, 2 windows, corrugated steel) it makes the enemy aggressive right away and they can shoot through the door and kill you before you are able to equip a pistol. Sometimes the enemy is not near the door but a couple times they were and ended the match real quick. It would be nice if the alarm went off only when the prison door opened.

That is intentional but was broken due to a bug. The alarm goes off, when the AI becomes aware of a player having a weapon (not the other way around).

There's still some problems with most of the new templates that will need to be fixed for a proper release. You might spawn outside the shed on that version of the prison, two of the roadblocks are kind of broken, towers on new com centers could be destroyed resulting in the box being unreachable, etc.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 4:53 PM, scruffy said:

There's still some problems with most of the new templates that will need to be fixed for a proper release. You might spawn outside the shed on that version of the prison, two of the roadblocks are kind of broken, towers on new com centers could be destroyed resulting in the box being unreachable, etc.

One other thing that's happening to our group is the guards are walking straight through the walls of the corrugated steel version of the prison.

Regarding the alarm being bugged... I kind of liked having the alarm tied to the door only, but that made escaping the prison *too* easy, since the guards would not fire back at all once they were engaged. Our playing group abused that one a lot since we use the Enhanced Movement mod. We would equip the pistols and then climb up the H-Barriers and shoot the guards from above, then open the gate.

In the mission pack there is a file called: Escape Zombie RHS Lingor3. 

Is this a version with zombies? and what do you need to play it?

On 9/23/2017 at 6:35 PM, CRCError1970 said:

One other thing that's happening to our group is the guards are walking straight through the walls of the corrugated steel version of the prison.

Yeah i have experienced the same thing. If the alarm has gone off, I have seen soldiers walk straight through the gate and kill us. I have also seen two enemy stick their head and guns through the wall and fire as well. 

One other weird thing is that the chopper seems to hover really really close and not breaking off at all. It seemed before that the chopper would see us but have a bigger circling pattern, whereas the new version has the chopper basically hovering over us or within a 25 meter circle. really close!

I haven't noticed any problems with AI accuracy or spotting on Escape version 1.8.1, even after the recent changes Bohemia made.  The AI seems to be behaving normally, although APCs seem to stop moving or move only a little bit in random directions after unloading their troops and losing direct line of sight to the players.  I'm not sure if this is a new issue or if I just haven't noticed it before.  I have my server set to "skillAI=1" and "precisionAI=0.5" and it's been that way for some time.  I almost always play on war torn mode, which does drastically reduce difficulty, however, so that could be a factor.

Daedum, you mentioned that you were playing SLA vs USMC.  Armor can be hard to come by, and a single pistol shot to the head or torso is all it takes to kill without armor.  Arms and legs can take a 4-5 pistol shots, and maybe 2 or 3 rifle shots.  AI can be very accurate, but one shot deaths are to be expected in Arma when not wearing armor.

On another note, I got a couple more funny clips from some escape sessions, enjoy.

Love Escape, clan loves escape, but a problem with Australia terrain. Sorry also if bug already mentioned or discussed.

Set up:

Australia 5.09 + RHSUSAF/RHSAFRF 0.4.3 + Escape 1.8.1 on dedicated

Player slots can be filled but when Continue is chosen to start, Arma 3 will crash to the desktop. Once before it crashed my player falls into open sea.