BIS_Wizard

Official Arma 3 Launcher (dev branch)

167 posts in this topic

Official Arma 3 Launcher feedback thread for Dev-Branch version.

2 people like this

Okay first question as there is no devlog yet what is the green auto-inlcude behind the mod name???

Auto-included means that the mod was automatically included in the list, because it was found in the folder that you selected on the Options page. The label will be displayed only once (when the mod is added to the list) to make it easier to spot.

Is there a reason behind introducing launcher as required by default at this date?

I would image this would happen further in a future when you guys code a way to update

mods in game/add nests or repositories, auto updating and all planned functionality.

Right now seem more of nuisance in a face of limited functionality.

Example: If you add folder in option, you have to restart launcher in order to detect new mods instead of

refresh option.

Don't take my message the wrong way, one day launcher will evolutionize mod discovery and installation.

I'll copy my post from the General Discussion thread to hopefully start some discussion and it's more appropriate here anyway.

I really hope you'll adopt the idea I suggested back in ArmA2 days, for SP/offline missions just define a simple text file format which lists the mods needed for the mission and sits alongside the mission files. That way, if the original mission maker isn't around anymore or doesn't have time, the community can create these text files and upload them for everyone to use. Then the launcher can use these files to see what mods are required for a mission and automatically download and activate them if not already installed, which I believe will lead to many more people actually playing those missions which the creators have gone to such effort to make. Ideally the launcher would look for the text file on the user's PC and if it doesn't find it, try and retrieve it from a central repository, whether that's maintained by BIS, Armaholic, PwS or anyone else. Mission creators can add the text file to this repository for users who've downloaded the mission in the past and for those missions where the creator is no longer around or doesn't have time to do this, the community can create and upload the text files. Obviously we'll need some sort of moderation to ensure that only correct files are uploaded by trustworthy people but I'm sure a solution can be found.

For servers it's not so urgent as at least we have PwS for them but if you could have them share a list of required/allowed mods when queried, so that your launcher can install/activate them automatically, that would make life easier all round.

Certainly with servers, sometimes it's necessary to disable certain pbos within a mod as they clash with another mod being used. This could be done with a text file formatted like so:

@RHS

-badfile.pbo

which tells the launcher that @RHS is needed but the badfile.pbo should be disabled. There might be an easier way to temporarily disable a pbo before launching ArmA but if not, the launcher could just move it to a temp folder and move it back after exiting ArmA, so it's only disabled for that session.

This would save having to maintain different versions of the same mod, whether hosted on a central repository or on the individual servers, which is what has to be done at the moment as there's no way of using a mod from PwS for example without all of the pbos being loaded. Clearly that leads to a lot of wasted space on servers and time wasted updating those customised versions of the mod, which could be avoided if the server could de-activate certain pbos in the way I've described.

I don't think I've come across any so far but some SP/offline missions might also have need to de-activate certain pbos and the same idea could be used for those. It probably makes sense and is no more work (probably less actually) to use the same format for both the server and offline mission text files, so the option to do this for offline missions as well might as well be left available.

Probably the first step is to decide on and discuss/agree the format of the text file and what it needs to be able to tell the launcher to do. I don't see that it needs to be any more complex than as set out above, with lines specifying what mods are needed and what pbos should be disabled but there may well be things I haven't thought of. Of course, it needs a central repository of both the mods and the text files (although these two repos can be separate and run by separate people/companies, so PwS could serve the mods and BIS could operate the text file repo) to work.

Once there's a consensus about the format/purpose of the text file, then BIS can start implementing the functionality in the launcher to use them and then people can start creating the text files to take advantage of the new features. If the server side of things is going to be harder to do, I'd suggest doing the offline missions part first as that's the most needed and it might serve as a less-complicated testbed to see how well it works before moving onto the server aspect.

OK, that was a bit longer than my original post which I copied, I got a bit carried away but it's because I passionately believe this would really enhance ArmA3's usability and greatly increase the amount of people willing to play missions that need mods and seeing that they're actually being played, will hopefully encourage the creators (and new ones) to create more of them and not just vanilla missions.

I hope BIS can make a start on implementing these ideas, which I've been dying to have almost since I started playing ArmA2CO a couple of years ago and hoped to have seen by now, considering the promise that user-made content would be made a priority in ArmA3.

Example: If you add folder in option, you have to restart launcher in order to detect new mods instead of refresh option.

This is a bug that I am unable to reproduce, what version of the Launcher do you have? The list should be refreshed automatically; in case you have many, many mods, it may take a few seconds until all of them are processed.

1.2.129981. lots of addons yes.I couldn't see any loading indication.Does that happen?

Edited by enex

Enex, can you please send me Launcher's logs, preferably through the http://feedback.arma3.com/? If you click on the app menu (aka hamburger menu), there is a menu item that will collect them and place them on your desktop in ZIP archive.

The group I play with has a nice, simple launcher that I really like. The official launcher keeps getting better, but there are a couple of things that prevent me from making the switch.

Parameters/Advanced/Client won't save a server name, ie server.mygroup.com it will only take an IP. (bug?)

Presets should be for mods and parameters, not just mods. That way I can select a preset, hit play, the game launches, loads specific mods and joins a specific server.

The folder of mods option shouldn't be hidden on the options page it should be on the mods page. +Steam Mods, +Local Mod, +Local Mod Folder. Not a big deal, just seems more user friendly.

Parameters/Advanced/Client won't save a server name, ie server.mygroup.com it will only take an IP. (bug?)

It all depends on what Arma 3 can process, I've a list of parameters here that says -connect=<ip>, so that's why it was created only to accept IP address. We will check whether the game can accept domain name and then the validation may be relaxed. In the other case we can look into doing DNS resolution from a domain name to an IP address ourselves. That would be excellent addition, thank you.

Presets should be for mods and parameters, not just mods. That way I can select a preset, hit play, the game launches, loads specific mods and joins a specific server.

Already on our backlogs.

The folder of mods option shouldn't be hidden on the options page it should be on the mods page. +Steam Mods, +Local Mod, +Local Mod Folder. Not a big deal, just seems more user friendly.

Yep, you're right, it was considered an advanced functionality mainly for players with a lot of existing mods when. Based on user feedback, I'm considering adding a link to the Mods page that would take you directly to the Mods management section on Options page, or something like that.

It all depends on what Arma 3 can process, I've a list of parameters here that says -connect=<ip>, so that's why it was created only to accept IP address. We will check whether the game can accept domain name and then the validation may be relaxed. In the other case we can look into doing DNS resolution from a domain name to an IP address ourselves. That would be excellent addition, thank you.

I've been using -connect=server.mygroup.com as a parameter and it's always worked fine. :)

I really like the new launcher and the fact that its defualt. It does almost everything i'd want.

however a small thing would be to choose whether to open on mods or news. See I know the news happening as far as arma3 goes and follow it quite reguallry. but when i want to get in to the game i dont want to always wait for my shitty internet connection to load it up for ten seconds at a time.

I really like the new launcher and the fact that its defualt. It does almost everything i'd want.

however a small thing would be to choose whether to open on mods or news. See I know the news happening as far as arma3 goes and follow it quite reguallry. but when i want to get in to the game i dont want to always wait for my shitty internet connection to load it up for ten seconds at a time.

It's not something that we'd like to see as default (we'd like people to read News :), but we are considering adding this as an (expert) option.

It's not something that we'd like to see as default (we'd like people to read News :), but we are considering adding this as an (expert) option.

That's what he's asking for. :)

But here's my argument for why you should reconsider having it default, and even possibly removing the bloat altogether.

The core and primary task of any launcher should be to launch the game with various options, not to deliver snippets of news we already have in the Steam overview of the game, and inside the game itself in the top right corner. Most people generally don't use the launcher for more than a few seconds, if the launcher is open, the user probably wants to play the game, not read news in a branded window.

The initial page should provide information on how the game will be launched, otherwise it risks irking the user because they launched the games with params they didn't intend to, and they have to go over the process again.

In my eyes, bloating the launcher with the features irrelevant to launching the game is the worst thing you can do for it. Think of it this way, the reason Google homepage is the way it is, is because it's there to serve it's singular purpose, to get you where you want to go or lead you to information you may want, no matter what Google may want to say, how many services Google may provide or want to advertise. When you see a message on there front and center, it's literally a critical local/global issue.

When I open the launcher, this already counts as playing Arma 3 in Steam.

So when I just want to manage some mods or close and open the launcher again, my Steam friends ask me: "Dude, can't you decide whether you play Arma or not?!" (because of the Steam notifications when a friend starts a game). :)

The way I see it, Steam should only show this notification, when Arma 3 itself is launched, NOT when I just open the launcher. I don't want the launcher to add to my Arma hours, but I use it frequently and much to organise mods, etc... Well, I think you get the point.

Can you change that, BIS?

Edit:

And I agree with the posters above: We should be able to chose what the first shown tab is when we start the launcher. Most of the time I use the launcher to just start the game after selecting mods. Having the possitility to directly get to the mods tab when starting the launcher would be great.

Edited by Undeceived

The way I see it, Steam should only show this notification, when Arma 3 itself is launched, NOT when I just open the launcher. I don't want the launcher to add to my Arma hours, but I use it frequently and much to organise mods, etc... Well, I think you get the point.

I prefer it as it is now for precisely the same reason you say you want it changed. When developing or trying out mods one tends to repeatedly launch and close and relaunch the game engine over and over and I think this can be annoying for friends who are notified each time. As it is now, once the launcher is open I can enter and exit the engine at will without spamming my friends with a notification each time.

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

Maybe make it adaptive, record the last displayed news post id and only default to the News tab when a new article has been posted.

Nope :-) Launcher needs to present itself as Arma 3 to be able to work with Workshop.

Hi im trying to make my own custom multiplayer game mode but im having some issues with installing the modds into arma 3 as everytime its just not working.

Im installing via the instructions on armaholic but it just does not want to work for me attached is a screenshot of the process in which you extract the folder into the arma 3 main folder under example @DEditor and then go to either the steam launcher or arma 3 launcher and set the mod locations ect -mod=@DEditor or selecting it in the mod tab on the arma 3 launcher but it still isnt working.still%20not%20working_zpsbdpguour.png

Are shared presets on any roadmap? I'd love the ability to e.g. put a preset onto the workshop.

On a related note: Can the workshop/launcher currently handle dependencies? If we had the ability to add dependencies to our workshop items it'd be trivial to rig together a 'shared modset' simply by uploading a dummy mod with lots of dependencies.

Are shared presets on any roadmap? I'd love the ability to e.g. put a preset onto the workshop.

On a related note: Can the workshop/launcher currently handle dependencies? If we had the ability to add dependencies to our workshop items it'd be trivial to rig together a 'shared modset' simply by uploading a dummy mod with lots of dependencies.

Both dependencies and sharing presets are in the roadmap.

Currently you can define the dependencies using the Steam item's page. Look for item controls: Add/Remove required items. On subscribe, user will be notified to also subscribe to the listed items. Later Launcher will be able to read those and offer subscribe on load. And even more later, authors will be able to define the dependencies in Publisher.

With Presets, the current intent is to have presets sharable as a link (resolved by Launcher). So no workshop item required.

1 person likes this

Got a suggestion:

* Since A3 is going to be constantly updated on both branches, why not an 'UP TO DATE' notifier under/above Arma III logo? That way, the user will be pleased to know he's playing the latest of A3.

The one thing that bugs me the most in the SteamWorkshop shop is the lack of info on what is updating.

Example: When you first login to your Steam Client and you have auto-updates going. It does not tell you what is updating from the ArmA SteamWorkshop. Like please tell me such and such mission or mod updated. Not just 24MB of "things" updated.

Sometimes when playing there is some sort of dialog that randomly appears at the bottom of my screen that starts something like [bis_fnc_insight] blah blah and a faded "Fx" to the right, is this some setting from the launcher that can be turned off? Thanks.

Edit: nvm it was the VCOM Driving mod that initiates it.

Edited by Altis