Sign in to follow this  
Korneel

Make Arma Not War - Winners

I hate to say it, but I was relieved as well that the "DayZ Inspired" mods didn't win.
Whereas they seemed more "total modification" than RHS Escalation...

Congratulations to all and inevitably the mod RHS who won in our category but also to all others who participated!

We are a force to Bohemia and I hope that the studio will continue in this direction with respect to the community ...

congrats to the winners, especially RHS (the only true winner)

also i didn't see any public download link to king of the hill (like all sa-matra stuffs) or am i wrong?

"All Contest materials will be published or will be directed through the Contest Website"

Edited by yxman

Congratulations to all the winners, especially to RHS Team and the TFAR crew;) Spent the money wisely.

Congratulations to the winners, especially for the Single Player category :)

Congrats to the winners, to the contestants and to all the modders past and present that did it for free.

+10

The selected candidates (and very many of those not shortlisted) were all of professional quality, putting the efforts of some big studios to shame. BIS' support for modders and addon makers is second to none.

John and I would also like to congratulate our fellow winners in the competition, to the finalists as well as our fellow competitors for all of the great addons and missions. Together we have raised the bar for the mod community of Arma and have set the examples of what to work up to. I see a bright future of the mod community so lets keep’em coming.

Congratulations to the winners. ;)

The finalist tab on the forums is a really nice touch too for 2nd place "winners" like us. :D

Hats off to the winners. Well played. Congratulations my friends.

If BIS continues with this (every year, every other year?), I hope they rethink the categories. Way too much money for too few categories. Would like to see Best Template, Best Cutscene, Best Terrain, Best Vehicle, etc.

Thanks to BIS for the unique opportunity to compete in such a fantastic creative outlet for all us geeks. ;)

Hats off to the winners. Well played. Congratulations my friends.

If BIS continues with this (every year, every other year?), I hope they rethink the categories. Way too much money for too few categories. Would like to see Best Template, Best Cutscene, Best Terrain, Best Vehicle, etc.

Thanks to BIS for the unique opportunity to compete in such a fantastic creative outlet for all us geeks. ;)

^Exactly! Too much money to too few winners. I understand the other side. It increases the motivation but a bit less would be fine to motivate even more people. ;)

^Exactly! Too much money to too few winners. I understand the other side. It increases the motivation but a bit less would be fine to motivate even more people. ;)

Also, the winners were primarily projects that would have come out/were already released anyway so it didn't really find anything "new", just validated what people were doing already.

Which is fine, but not innovative.

Does it necesarily have to be "new"? A mod that has been around for a long time like Unsung- high quality, detailed, and great fun to play - imported & revamped for A3 with even higher quality would be a worthy contender. OTOH, I found, for example, "Lost Dragons" intriguing because it's quite fresh in its (still-developing) view of a far-future scenario. I think there's space for both (certainly reserving space on on my SSD :) ).

I hope BIS will continue this - maybe annually, maybe biennally - perhaps with a smaller total pot but with, as suggested, more categories and smaller prizes.

lol the results are so surprising (..) My question is why we wait so much time (or why we did a contest) before BIS give price to thoses projects, why they didn't do it directly.

Edited by code34

indeed, still no official release of KotH but the rules say:

All Contest materials will be published or will be directed through the Contest Website

so koth is against the rules?!

the thing behind that is that they want server access to "install" their mission as part of a "copy protection"

Does it necesarily have to be "new"?

Nope, but it would have been good to see more new missions/mods in the finalists rather than pre-existing stuff imo.

indeed, still no official release of KotH but the rules say:

All Contest materials will be published or will be directed through the Contest Website

so koth is against the rules?!

the thing behind that is that they want server access to "install" their mission as part of a "copy protection"

Bis organize contest as Poutine organize democraty. It's like that, there's nothing more to say.

Well, revealing the scores at some point could be useful for the authors to let them know, how high what they did was evaluated compared to the other entries. I would even suggest to reveal, at least privately, jury reasoning behind the points. IMHO better understanding "where I am with my work and why is that" should do no harm, but instead may be with the benefit for the contestants, if they learn, what they did right or wrong according to jury members. If any reasoning available/jury members willing to share of course. Could be even given anonymously, if that's the issue.

Also, although there still will be some "what?!" I think, lack of understanding of/knowledge about the reasons induces more of it.

Edited by Rydygier

Bis organize contest as Poutine organize democraty. It's like that, there's nothing more to say.

Would you have said the same nasty thing if you won? Somehow I doubt that.

The dissapointment inside me have grown and I just dont accept the result at all. It was big insult that my entry was just skipped as over-complex even had 2.5x more player votes than 2. and 3. place winners. Nothing against you that won, but BIS should have mentioned that they were seeking casual experience and final votes were based on the first impressions. Jury that was basically non-gamers didnt bother properly to get into my entry that would have been rewarding only after some hours of exploring and getting familiar of the endless features. The competition was to seek quality content for players, not for non-gamers. Mentioned focus on "Out of the box" and "Game mode" had zero effect. It was all about nonsense sparkle that most games are focusing today. Orginality is dead.

Would you have said the same nasty thing if you won? Somehow I doubt that.

Yeah it was a childish remark, but the others have a point - all pieces of the submission were meant to be public, so KoTH is breaching that if people can't download the entirety of the package.

Whereas the only mod I wanted to lose was RHS irrespective of quality simply because I find its fans the most vocally insufferable.

I`m sorry... but i`m not a fan of RHS. I`m only sick of the contest by itself, because the whole community suffer - excepted those guys who have some money in the hand now. There can`t be any justice at all...

Yeah it was a childish remark, but the others have a point - all pieces of the submission were meant to be public, so KoTH is breaching that if people can't download the entirety of the package.

Yes I mentioned that here some time ago but unsurprisingly BIS didn't comment on it...

What I find strange is some of the competitors have entered client-only files for their competition entry.

I understand they want to keep their code hidden (which is fair enough) but then they can also enter in the competition releasing just the client files (as you would get anyway if you logged on and played them) seems strange when most of the other competitors have to release all of their files by default.

I would have thought it would be one or the other: keep it hidden and 'protect' what you have created or put your chips on the table and enter it fully in the competition.

This isn't a cheap shot to try and get a peek at their work ( I couldn't care less what's in them to be honest - I'd rather code stuff myself as that's why I started doing it in the first place).

It seems you can have your cake and eat it.

Yes I mentioned that here some time ago but unsurprisingly BIS didn't comment on it...

Not just BIS, nobody seemed to comment on it.

I think this needs some explanation on how this is permitted. It's fine and dandy to not follow rules when it's all for fun, but when there's money involved, you're going to cause people to be upset.

Before anybody says I'm butthurt that I didn't win the competition, I didn't enter anything, so it's not related to that.

Well, revealing the scores at some point could be useful for the authors to let them know, how high what they did was evaluated compared to the other entries. I would even suggest to reveal, at least privately, jury reasoning behind the points. IMHO better understanding "where I am with my work and why is that" should do no harm, but instead may be with the benefit for the contestants, if they learn, what they did right or wrong according to jury members. If any reasoning available/jury members willing to share of course. Could be even given anonymously, if that's the issue.

Also, although there still will be some "what?!" I think, lack of understanding of/knowledge about the reasons induces more of it.

I think the same, though I doubt they wrote down any reasoning. The jury had to test many entries, probably even in their freetime / overtime. They probably just completed each entry once or twice and then proceeded to take a glance at the sources (if they were interested in it) before writing down the score. Wrote to Matt Lightfoot yesterday and asked if they could reveal at least the ranking or scores and he said they'll discuss this matter internally.