Sign in to follow this  
BeachAV8R

Hinds at Chernarus....

Over at Mudspike we took a retro look at Take On Helicopters: Hinds and flew the fantastic sandbox mission by BTK & TeTeT. Check it out here:

http://www.mudspike.com/hinds-at-chernarus-aar-editorial/

Please, please, please - Bohemia - bring back more Take On content! Build an Apache (or collaborate with Nodunit and Franze!)...

BeachAV8R

PS - I'm always on the lookout for good TOH / TOH-Hinds missions - fire me a PM if you have any!

Edited by BeachAV8R

When's the last time they patched TOH?

I read your Editorial, but my response could be TL;DR'd as "BI may still indeed like the rotary aspect, but they probably consider Arma 3 the most appropriate platform for further expansion on that." Whether or not that had to due with an internal loss of confidence in TOH's brand due to a lack of positive consensus for Hinds or simply due to Arma 3 being the next "base game" (and by proxy Arma 2/TOH's engine iteration deemed obsoleted) I can't say, but I will confess a personal belief that TOH traded scope for depth yet one of the more if not most prominent aspects thereof (RotorLib FM) was largely brought over into A3, so I find little otherwise about TOH (besides the specific A2 period content) that I believe necessarily couldn't be simply scripted into an A3 mission or campaign if one was so inclined... such as the mission that you described, whether with mods such as Chairborne's Hind and AiA TP (for Chernarus) or with BI's Mi-48 Kajman on Altis.

On the other hand, if TOH is indeed "just" a victim of the times engine-wise and not of an internal souring on the brand and gameplay concept (on which a standalone was justified) then a return to TOH is less likely than a hypothetical RV4-based sequel... :D Though I find that also less likely than BI simply expanding on Arma 3 civil aviation.

We have a new mission that is being developed and that will hopefully soon be uploaded.

All I am going to say is that it is a military multiplayer mission.

I suspect you are correct Chortles - there is probably more bang for the buck by pursuing the combat side of helicopters via Arma 3 rather than the civilian side in Take On. And you are correct that nearly everything (and more actually) from that mission I wrote about could be done in Arma 3 - but does the TOH Hind work in Arma 3? I'll have to check into Chairborne's Hind..very interested in that!

Helicopterenthusiast - Good to hear..can't wait to see what you guys come up with..

BeachAV8R

I suspect you are correct Chortles - there is probably more bang for the buck by pursuing the combat side of helicopters via Arma 3 rather than the civilian side in Take On. And you are correct that nearly everything (and more actually) from that mission I wrote about could be done in Arma 3 - but does the TOH Hind work in Arma 3? I'll have to check into Chairborne's Hind..very interested in that!
No, I meant that even if BI remains interested in "the civilian side" enough to pursue it with new assets and scenarios, they'd probably still treat Arma 3 as the most appropriate platform in which to showcase those*, and my speculation was about the possible reasons for that, not for whether or not BI was still interested in civil aviation. Heck, the Helicopters DLC-accompanying Arma 3 v1.34 update included both the M-900 (Civilian side MH-9 minus benches plus doors and a randomized skin on init all in the vein of TOH's Light helicopter) and plenty of airfield/helipad-appropriate scenery objects.

As for the Hind specifically, you're best off checking out Chairborne's Hind or "rolling" your own from the A2 samples (though the SuperHind Mk.III is not included, you can feign it) while incorporating the TOH features that made it into A3. Apparently the "merge" version of All in Arma had "basic" TOH content support but it was eventually obsoleted in favor of the standalone version of AiA which did not include or support TOH content.

If i'm honest, I would much prefer if they brought more civi choppers to A3 or a standalone as I find Altis a much much more interesting place than the South Asia or Seattle maps.