james2464

Kunduz, Afghanistan [10km] v1.20

Nice Downloading right now!!!

on aia terrain pack dependence:

AiA_TP + small maps is my preference, does anything speak against releasing two versions (one dependent and one stand alone) and still keep MP compability?

without aia tp, arma3 is not complete imho, noones forced to use it but this kind of strong rejection doesnt make sense to me...

Must say i love the work and attention to detail that you have on the map so far i also noticed the little site where you have all the objects (buildings , fences , etc )that you have planned to use laid out it goes to show that this will be a extremely well thought out map is had a couple of questions i noticed that the main highway (thats completed) is labeled airport road does this indicate that you have plans to add a airport in ? also did you have plans to include military outposts/FOB/COP or not going to include them so that players can create there own ?

In my opinion AiA TP is a must anyway, as it have the most important maps to play coop. But I know Project Reality, I know what they are capable of, and I really look forward to a complete version of this map !!! ;)

seems like there could be possible problem since it has different data.

jbad_structures

jbad_sounds

jbad_misc

since former version has much more larger data and i'm afraid that those 3file could damage our addon pack, i suggest to you to make read me file about this 3 file

I want confirm is it ok to use this map with former version of jbad files.

1.3 gigs for a single map is bad form *cough* Borhnholm *cough*. I mean, who is going to download this map who doesn't already have AIATP for cherno,taki,fallujah, etc. A.I.A. variant when?

All of those who don't want to download a 4 GB pack. ( specially for clans with sync ).

All of those who want to be able to use all A3 editor stuff ( that AiA removes and bugs ).

All of those who want updated buildings.

All of those who don't want all the AiA insane amount of bugs ( for example the weird collision model, or lack of it ).

All of those who want something new.

Long, long etc.

NOTE: I think the AiA idea is nice, but IMHO years away of being properly playable.

Edited by MistyRonin

How about everyone give feedback to this map and stop talking about AiA. This is not the place to talk about it. Hardwork has been done to make this map, so please respect that. If you want to talk about how most maps using AiA are terrible and use mostly A1 terrible looking building, completely bringing down A3 quality, :p go somewhere else. This thread is for Kunduz, Afghanistan.

Please, finish it as soon as possible! :cool: Nice work!

+1

The more I play it the more I like it. The orography of the edited terrain, allowing ambushes, etc. Can't wait until you edit the whole terrain.

IMHO the best map for A3 even in its current state ( as I said before I don't count AiA as they crash a lot of A3 stuff ).

I hope PR for ARMA3 quickly released, now, at least I know you still trying! I Love PR!

All of those who don't want to download a 4 GB pack. ( specially for clans with sync ).

All of those who want to be able to use all A3 editor stuff ( that AiA removes and bugs ).

All of those who want updated buildings.

All of those who don't want all the AiA insane amount of bugs ( for example the weird collision model, or lack of it ).

All of those who want something new.

Long, long etc.

NOTE: I think the AiA idea is nice, but IMHO years away of being properly playable.

What exactly is AiA TP removing from editor? We are running AIA TP for some time now and we don't have any significant problems. I always thought about AIA TP as main terrain pack on which other authors can adapt their maps, then porting building by building themselves.

I would not say that AiA TP has insane amount of bugs. Yes there are few, but I think it's quite stable and playable right now (Way ever then A3MP). Which bugs exactly do you mean? I'm sure that kju could address them and they could get fixed.

--

Anyway, really nice job on the map James. I'm looking forward for the full version! :)

Edited by EvroMalarkey

What exactly is AiA TP removing from editor?

Starting for the flags, buildings and other A3 vanilla assets.

The amount of bugs in AiA makes the pack unplayable for me ( for example try to pass over the rails, some weird collisions against certain buildings, some strange animations when walls fall, interaction with A3 variables, etc. )

Also it's size makes it a no-no for simulation grups like the one I'm in.

I always thought about AIA TP as main terrain pack on which other authors can adapt their maps, then porting building by building themselves.

If it was like that it would be certainly really nice, if it only added stuff; but it also removes assets and create some incompatibilities ( for example it's A2 variables interact with A3 stuff ).

- - -

So for people like me standalone maps like Kunduz are the way to go. Besides I really like it's quality.

But I've nothing against those people who rather play with AiA and make its maps compatible with it. Just that for me, the AiA requirement discards a map automatically.

Edited by MistyRonin

@MistyRonin I'm was really not aware of that it is removing A3 assets. That should really be addressed then. And yeah the walls and some other object destruction is something that needs to be fixed.

There's different reasons why I love this map:

- It's standalone! ( finally, no AiA bugs, proper gameplay, fully A3 :) )

- It has a good amount of detail, but not enough objects to provoke graphic lag. It's really nice balanced ( tho I suffer a few fps drop ).

- It feels organic. The object placing doesn't seem forced nor artificial.

Thanks Misty, Where did you suffer these FPS drops?

I like the way it's going... Couldn't find any secret hidey holes... as much as I looked.

Not a lot of hard cover in the open areas, well not yet anyway.

Like the colour schemes and the sat texture is really nice.

Keep it up !

You didn't look hard enough... hehe. There are currently two basements for insurgent caches. Future plans include at least two cave systems and numerous hidden basements.

How does the AI handle.

The old PR maps had horrible AI problems.

FATA had AI problems because we deleted the viewlods on the trees which enables them basically a wall hack. As for AI navigation through detailed terrains well that can't be helped.

However AI should be much better on Kunduz as I don't want to exclude this part of the community and the terrain is less sophisticated anyway.

FATA 2 is in the works anyway ;D

Really looking forward to giving this a spin. Absolutely loved all the previous PR maps from A2, true works of art. Congrats on the release, and thank you.

Thank you, hopefully I can get this one out to you and finished shortly.

Must say i love the work and attention to detail that you have on the map so far i also noticed the little site where you have all the objects (buildings , fences , etc )that you have planned to use laid out it goes to show that this will be a extremely well thought out map is had a couple of questions i noticed that the main highway (thats completed) is labeled airport road does this indicate that you have plans to add a airport in ? also did you have plans to include military outposts/FOB/COP or not going to include them so that players can create there own ?

The naming of each specific area takes it's name from the closest real world village or road. Airport road in the real world leads to Kunduz Airport, but this terrain isn't large enough for this.

I am considering adding a fake dirt airport in the corner of the terrain, but this isn't confirmed.

Military outposts and FOBs will be left to mission makers on this terrain.

Real world location: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Kunduz,+Afghanistan/@36.6117693,68.8484807,2969m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x38cbffa05e4f9665:0xb9fea05d9d615b22?hl=en

jbad_structures

jbad_sounds

jbad_misc

These files are just for testing, they will be converted into a different naming convention.

Please, finish it as soon as possible! :cool: Nice work!

Will try :D

Thanks, nice looks like Korengal Valley ;D or CLAfghan :)

Thanks Misty, Where did you suffer these FPS drops?

Well they are really subtle, but mainly in the compound area around 039005.

Here's some geological feed back/suggestion. I like the rock face south of Tal Cozar. But it's at the edge of the map. Id like to see similar rock formation somewhere in South Gerdan. Where it'll be useful.

It also needs more goats.

Great start. I like it. Only thing id enjoy seeing is a backdrop, a2 style mountains or similiar. But nice work so far. Great to hear about fata 2 also ;)

Only thing id enjoy seeing is a backdrop, a2 style mountains or similiar.

Nah make the map real, i'd rather see those and actually be able to go there, no more backdrops please, just add kunar province to the map and you'll have your mountains in the backdrop.

This map will be great to use with MEC mod and fight the Taliban or Islamic State!

Loving this man. WHat a great map and feel. I like the atmosphere. Not overly down with the rocks or trees like i've seen in other maps. It feels right and real. I think it works great because of the terrain heights and mountain differences. Great job man can't wait for further releases so i can keep playing this! Thanks for sharing the alpha

Wait until its complete but hell yeah.

Thanks, nice looks like Korengal Valley ;D or CLAfghan :)

there does seem to be a big shortage in afghan style terrains specifically for A3. Mine is centered around those regions, but it is a fictional terrain I built from scratch in L3DT. It seemed like a quicker process to create a mountainous terrain. If I knew how to join multiple mapframes in Terrain builder then I would make it bigger. I have a 3m cell size with the whole map being 10kmx10km.

Hopefully I'll get it finished this year, for the past month I've been tweaking the heightmap to get a good variation in valley floor and mountainsides. Plus the satmap is bugging the shit out of me atm, because its fictional I can't use any real world sat images, I basically have to create it all myself.

It's standalone! ( finally, no AiA bugs, proper gameplay, fully A3 :) )

Also, No future upgrades to map assets, Gb's of redundant data transferred and stored. And I see no reason why being standalone would make its gameplay proper or the map fully A3.

Ofcourse it is up to the map maker to decide but I find it a bit dumb that we are starting to get multiple maps where the same assets are packed into new pbos again and again.

Thanks for showing this early version, it looks very promising so far and I'm looking forward to the finished version.

One thing I noticed with all versions of the "small mosque" and "small mosque 2" buildings (example) used on this map: They seem a bit fragile, a single grenade levels the whole building.

I also found an antenna floating a few meters next to the building it probably belonged to, but didn't take a screenshot. Do you already want reports for bugs like this? I'm sure I'll find the position again.

Good to hear FATA 2 is coming, too :)