sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

ok idk y you have to be a jerk about a idea idk how this works and you guys act as jerks when i just suggest a way to fix a long standing bug. why are you acting like this when some one trys to help. you have driven half your community off.  i know your under stress and you do this to most people and they only check this to see if the mod you sayed would be out by now will ever come out.

ok idk y you have to be a jerk about a idea idk how this works and you guys act as jerks when i just suggest a way to fix a long standing bug. why are you acting like this when some one trys to help. you have driven half your community off.  i know your under stress and you do this to most people and they only check this to see if the mod you sayed would be out by now will ever come out.

I'm rather sure we've exhausted most possibilities on finding another solution for the issue until BI kindly repair the problem on their end.

I'm rather sure we've exhausted most possibilities on finding another solution for the issue until BI kindly repair the problem on their end.

ok i understand that answer and thank you for it.

pls don't quote chas in replies SD, as then i have to avert my eyes from it! have you noticed how all of his suggestions are really annoying or dumb? just add him to ignore.

• Like 1

Just because Egg is annoyed with your comments and chooses not to respond to you that's his choice. But don't sit there and make stupid remarks like "you have driven half your community off" You have no reference or basis for that ridiculous statement. And as for the release date OF COURSE it will be released

While I understand you attempted to devise a way around this problem , the comments you left prior to this has turned people off .. 

We are not making out we are high and mighty and people have to kiss our backside for this mod ... No its just only modders know how grueling it is looking at lines and lines of code everyday, fixing , testing , rinse repeat .... All for for FREE !! Our only repayment is words of appreciation and thanks .. instead some fans get too excited and start suggesting all this "EXTRA " Stuff that in some cases are absolutely thoughtless.

• Like 8

Furthermore, "we" said the mod would be out when it is ready to be out.  Not "finished by now". 

Please understand this... simply throwing random ideas out like spaghetti to see "if something sticks" isn't appropriate for the discussion.  All the BS I implemented behind the scenes to make an interim solution no longer works.  SURELY you can appreciate this has been hammered to death by a bunch of people trying to work around this bug.  The issue was already stated before you posted to be a BUG, and a WELL-KNOWN BUG at that.  Therefore the ONLY people to fix it are BIS.  Period.  Unfortunately the feedback tracker is offline at this moment so I can't post a link to the bug... darn.

Let's move on shall we?

• Like 2

What is this bug you are all referring to? An amphibious vehicle cant ride on water and land due to some BIS issue?

We have an AAV in our unit that drives on land and when we enter the water there is a scroll wheel option to activate amphib drive i think. All works as far as I can tell, we do beech landings etc all the time.

If this is actually what you are all talking about I guess I can ask around to see how its done. If im way off then dont mind me :)

It sounds like the reason you have a scroll wheel option is there is a script that magically makes that vehicle glide over water.  All smoke and mirrors.  Which frankly at this point doesn't sound like a bad idea right now!   :)

The A3 engine itself, unlike every. single. title. before... does NOT natively support floating a tracked vehicle in the water.  Apparently anything with "simulation = tankx" but I cannot be more specific.  Bug was filed quite some time ago.  Recall the A3 engine was BUILT by Nvidia and LICENSED by BIS.  Previous versions were engines BUILT by BIS.

While in the interim we have gotten great things like KARTS, this fundamental behavior has either not been addressed, or cannot be addressed.  Since BIS has not introduced any tracked amphibious vehicle assets in A3, I suspect the latter.  So in reality it may be more accurate to say this is an NVIDIA issue and not a BIS issue, but "semantics".

We may have to wait for Titan before we can see tracked amphibious vehicles natively supported by a game engine.

I had a look around the AAV pbo and in it there are separate scripts to move it forward,back,left and right. The AAv just floats around the waves bobbing up and down and when I activate amphibious drive i have a top speed of 20kph. Have no idea who owns the AAV or who wrote the scripts but i will ask around and get some info on it if you think its something you could use.

possibly. and thanks for looking :) we can wait for a fix though, it works well enough for the bravo version.

some pics from this weekends tests

hunting vc sappers in the airbase

chop1_zps2xquimue.jpg

putting the gunner's spotlight to good use

chop2_zps3vppewpj.jpg

chilling at the vc camp

camp21_zpsvapajyw3.jpg

testing out the new patrol boat (with added radar)

boat1_zps9ywg1lz8.jpg

concealed pk mg position covering the swamp

pkbunk_zpss6hdjumq.jpg

battlefield ambience

pic1_zps4jag9bbp.jpg

ever get the feeling you're being watched?

temple1_zpsuhriomcz.jpg

• Like 2

Nice!

BTW, do you have massive FPS drop in jungle or not?

Just because Egg is annoyed with your comments and chooses not to respond to you that's his choice. But don't sit there and make stupid remarks like "you have driven half your community off" You have no reference or basis for that ridiculous statement. And as for the release date OF COURSE it will be released

While I understand you attempted to devise a way around this problem , the comments you left prior to this has turned people off .. 

We are not making out we are high and mighty and people have to kiss our backside for this mod ... No its just only modders know how grueling it is looking at lines and lines of code everyday, fixing , testing , rinse repeat .... All for for FREE !! Our only repayment is words of appreciation and thanks .. instead some fans get too excited and start suggesting all this "EXTRA " Stuff that in some cases are absolutely thoughtless.

just saying im not talking about you. you seem to be willing to give an answer instead of make fun of me sorry but what i sayed that beacuse many people feel that way. plus the roomer your going to make this a payed mod. of witch i hope is not true. is really starting to turn groups away. sorry and i mean no offence to the rest of the team i love your work. 

i just dont want to be attacked or made fun off because i post a suggestion.

Very impressive, our group will be very excited when Bravo is released. Thanks for all your hours of work, y'all are the ones who make Arma3 great.

Nice!

BTW, do you have massive FPS drop in jungle or not?

no mate. i have my settings on ultra and 150% resolution, and it looks great.  viewdistance land is 1000, sometimes 800, and air is 5000. my missions dynamically changes viewdistance depending on if you're in an aircraft or not.  but with vd <1000 you can expect to have fun firefights in the jungle. a lot of the test guys are getting 40-50fps at times, and 30fps at others. i get a steady 20-25fps, better than i did in a2 (typically 14-16).  but i played a2 for 6 years withthat and it was fine. smooth like playing cod1 (at 220fps). so long as it doesnt stutter, im happy.

here we are using charlie's nasty surprises against him...

spider1_zps5gzvtqaz.jpg

• Like 2

I genuinely think the language barrier makes him really hard to understand, maybe he's not as big as a cunt as he seems, he just doesn't know how to phrase things properly because English isn't his first language

Ding you hit it on the head i am very bad at typing and english isint my main typeing llanguidge

plus my typing is cancer in all terms

i really like this statue you made guys it really adds up the atmosphere, is there also more unique things like that  for ambient?

this statue

temple1_zpsuhriomcz.jpg

• Like 1

I genuinely think the language barrier makes him really hard to understand, maybe he's not as big as a cunt as he seems, he just doesn't know how to phrase things properly because English isn't his first language

I agree. I just answered a PM from chas and its all sorted now . I personally will answer his questions from now on.

• Like 2

i really like this statue you made guys it really adds up the atmosphere, is there also more unique things like that  for ambient?

csj made that statue in ofp or arma 1 I think, and we've been using it since.

we have a ton of old ruins and shelters and huts in the mod.  razor is adding many to the maps in various places.

recently berghoff donated his african foliage, and mondkalb donated his mbg nam models too, so along with the older kit we have built up quite a base of models for ambient stuff.

some of the older models have needed a face-lift, i spent an age in 2.6 reorienting them and their icons making it easier to see which way around they would be when you placed them, and how big they are etc.  of course now in 3d editor you don't need it lol.  i also spent ages going through the models and adding them to scope 2 objects, so you can use them in mission design.  Jones has just gone through all our kit adding editorsublasses, so they show up neatly in the 3den editor too.

so you can build your own ambience on top of the map.

• Like 2

no mate. i have my settings on ultra and 150% resolution, and it looks great.  viewdistance land is 1000, sometimes 800, and air is 5000. my missions dynamically changes viewdistance depending on if you're in an aircraft or not.  but with vd <1000 you can expect to have fun firefights in the jungle. a lot of the test guys are getting 40-50fps at times, and 30fps at others. i get a steady 20-25fps, better than i did in a2 (typically 14-16).  but i played a2 for 6 years withthat and it was fine. smooth like playing cod1 (at 220fps). so long as it doesnt stutter, im happy.

Ok, thanks ;)

yes it will use my bayonet module from arma 2

Will missions easily convert over from alpha to beta release, or will missions need to be rebuilt from scratch?

AKA are most of the classnames/objects that were in alpha release the same?

Or is there anything I can do to allow the missions to transition over?  (Like convert the UNSUNG Alpha units to default ARMA 3 units) 

AKA are most of the classnames/objects that were in alpha release the same?

IIRC, the Unsung team already said that bravo will have a lot of classname changes from alpha.