Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

arma 3 multiplayer has got out of control for new people

Does this:

Here is a server browser that I find so much better than the vanilla browser.

Do this:

see which servers allow a certain mod. (just downloaded Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape mod and I want to see which servers will let me play with it on their servers.). Which ones allow midtex? Jsrs? which are in first person only?

I use PWS which does support this feature but either it isn't 100% reliable and doesn't locate all servers I know to fit criteria of a particular mod, or the underlying Steam infrastructure is dodgy.

Players could find game modes like TacBF a lot easier if there were "opt out" checkboxes for RPG or Coop style servers.

in the alpha i expected the current system to be a placeholder that will be removed before release

in the alpha i expected the current system to be a placeholder that will be removed before release

Honestly this was my sentiment exactly,,, back in alpha,, there was a link to a feedback tracker where they said they were working on it and it was only alpha, that feedback tracker was 2013 I believe ..

You can't really just shrug / shirk the responsibility to PWS, PWS has great features and functionality but the User interface is just too much of a burden to use logically.

Edited by Big_T

I heard they dropped everything and began working on a Hot Air Balloon DLC to satisfy the altis life audience more.

Find us and come play OP; sounds like you'll fit in nicely.

its funny this is the first post related to original poster question.

problem resolved go to.

#1 Arma 3 Warfare Server, click the link to find out more and the authorized mods:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...28#post2585228

also would like to add to the filter issue,

its not the filter.

its the user.

to make things simple for anyone having issues with filter, once you find a server you like, "copy there ip '' (use the join remote) .

Edited by Dr Death JM

Better filters would prevent all 20 members of the "mil-sim" community from cluttering up these forums with pointless posts of impotent rage that an order of magnitude more people like Life, Wasteland and other "Not Real ARMA" missions/game modes. There are a TON of new Arma players, they are just playing Life or Wasteland.

You can't make people play what they don't want to play. And making them leave if they don't like what you like isn't an option either.

The issue with a lack of Mil-Sim players is not caused by Life servers, it's caused by Mil-Sim.

Playing against AI is dull and only exists to give those who cannot compete against other humans something to do.

I'm not even going to comment on your unqualified remarks about mil sims (which is kind of hillarious in a mil-sim forum), or the occasional stupidity (like that last sentence of yours, give me a break.. should I say "life servers only exist for people that don't have one" ?) but the OP was not complaining about life servers or life players, but the fact that the filtering possibilities in the Arma 3 server browser are not far-reaching enough, and quite frankly, I agree. Other games allow you to include and exclude certain game types. In Arma 3, I can select one, and one only, that is shown, but I can't select multiple game types to be shown.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

i agree, maybe the vanilla servers should be in their own tab or add another filter option (vanilla or non-vanilla) so we can easily seperate the list :P

Ideally, you would have the possibility to create exclusion and inclusion filters. For example, you would get a list of "game modes" (COOP, RPG, PVP, etc) and could check those that you want to see, and x out the ones you don't want to see. Also, why is there no favorites tab (you can mark favorites, but you can't see them on a separate tab) or a tab showing all the servers your Steam friends are playing on ? Why not have separate tabs for different game modes.

And, my biggest gripe with the server browser: Why does it rescan the whole list every time you change the filter ? It takes ages to read that list, so why can I not prevent it from rescanning all servers just because I changed the game mode ? Add a rescan button and automatically rescan once I enter the multiplayer mode for the first time, and then keep your hands off of that list until I specifically ask for a rescan.

I think especially the latter is what makes the browser so unwieldy. Because the filtering options are so limited, you will change the filter often if you aren't 100 % sure what you are looking at.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

I expected that for a lot of things :D

Ideally, you would have the possibility to create exclusion and inclusion filters. For example, you would get a list of "game modes" (COOP, RPG, PVP, etc) and could check those that you want to see, and x out the ones you don't want to see. Also, why is there no favorites tab (you can mark favorites, but you can't see them on a separate tab) or a tab showing all the servers your Steam friends are playing on ? Why not have separate tabs for different game modes.

And, my biggest gripe with the server browser: Why does it rescan the whole list every time you change the filter ? It takes ages to read that list, so why can I not prevent it from rescanning all servers just because I changed the game mode ? Add a rescan button and automatically rescan once I enter the multiplayer mode for the first time, and then keep your hands off of that list until I specifically ask for a rescan.:D

I agree with your filter ideas. (Shouldn't be that hard to do!?!?!)

YES, why the hell does it take so long to update the server list!!!!? GameSpy did it so much faster (and listed player names which no longer works)

Is it a problem with crappy Steam or can BIS improve this?

I just watched how CS:GO has done their system. They've include/exclude and you can't use both at the same time. You filter with that tags that servers have put on them and not the server name. That kind of a system should work if servers put right filters on them. Also there seems to be some automatic tags like empty if the server is empty and secure if there's AC, so maybe some mission/map depended filters could be done.

Playing against AI is dull and only exists to give those who cannot compete against other humans something to do.

If you'd had the slightest idea of what coop actually means, you could have wrote such foolish statements.

OP, find yourself a group to play with, it's the only way to avoid players that hold the above attitude.

Edited by Variable

I don't agree saying Arma 3 server list are "unorganized" as I found the filter function sufficient. I just never seen a Life server since yesterday (I just turned off the filter to see what it actually look) as filtering with "only coop" was all I was looking for.

But I still agree they could do a better filter, permitting for example to exclude some kind of server (Life, Wasteland, milsim, etc.) so everyone can customize and have the server list he want. This shouldn't even be that big work...but there are so many things BI should work on, I think we have to wait who knows how much time before this...thanks modding community to make this time shorter sometimes^^

Vanilla servers can be good but, IMHO, mods are what makes MP of Arma the only one making a difference between the FPS. The possibilities to have a coop experience and a milsim so deeply customizables are quite unique. Off course I can understand that who play PvP wish more vanilla stuffs (mods are not supported on most competitive servers, right ?)...but for that I agree Battlefield, COD and such are the best choices ;)

Honestly this was my sentiment exactly,,, back in alpha,, there was a link to a feedback tracker where they said they were working on it and it was only alpha, that feedback tracker was 2013 I believe ..

You can't really just shrug / shirk the responsibility to PWS, PWS has great features and functionality but the User interface is just too much of a burden to use logically.

I remember this, thanks for reminding me. The thought of never seeing the A2 browser felt so good at the time.

I wonder how much of their plans was affected by the gamespy demise. Great idea with the checked box idea guys. The rescan sometimes gets stuck for me, and is something that happens in dayz even more.

Server browser, server lobby, squad management and loadout management are disfunctional.

This is 2014, other companys kick dedicated servers on purpose in the wake of consolization and the only mil-shooter company that still allows modding isnt even able to create a proper GUI with basic features working...

Btw it would be nice to have field in the server browsers filter, where you can put keywords which shouldn't contains the server/host name. In this case you put there: life wasteland. And the browser hide all the life and wasteland servers. It is easy to do, because it is simply the negation of the current filter.

What do you think?

Like Hide: life wasteland

Edited by danczer

i think its futile to apply logic and reason to the issue, expecting from BI to do the same, since they obviously are not willing or able to do so too.

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

i think its futile to apply logic and reason to the issue, expecting from BI to do the same, sine they obviously are not willing or able to do so.

I say this with the caveat that: Arma 3 is my favorite game and I love it.

The main problem I think is that the developers have been so engrained in Arma culture and it's functionality that they probably see no reason to polish the functionality. They just play coop or they only play on a certain server so filter by name. Same with mod implementation, they are pros so they know all about armaholic and how to install mods and which servers allow them ect.

Someone needs to take a full step back and look over the shoulder of a noob player just loading up arma 3 for the first time. Most likely that new user will not even know about power of mods or which game modes really make arma 3 shine. They will just filter by player size and see life/wasteland and maybe king of the hill, and the cycle continues.

I have nothing against those game modes but I feel that people are missing out on mods and other game styles because they don't have much exposure or easy way to find/filter.

To be honest, ArmA's multiplayer ecosystem is flawed for anyone but hardcore gamers. It is expected that you just go searching online for a squad to play with, but it's impossible to team up with someone randomly. Many of the servers are private and passworded, other significant bunch plays weird mods like life or wasteland, and the rest is usually without option to join in progress. Then there is a few remaining servers that meet your requirements, but only one or two of them have acceptable ping and are not full or empty. That's the sad truth.

That's what i miss in ArmA the most. Some official multiplayer ecosystem running in parallel with community one. If you really have a life, go to work, and just want to play hour or two every other day to relax your mind, you don't want to spend half an hour just looking for viable server, or looking for an online squad/community that has fixed game schedule and takes shit way too military/seriously.

I just want to get home from work, throw the jacket on a hook, grab a glass of coffee or tea, open server browser, click play, and get straight into the game in just two minutes (What i was able to do in Battlefield for example... actually in pretty much any god damn game except ArmA). Then spend following hour or two just being entertained and having fun. This is simply impossible. With ArmA, you open server browser, spend 10 minutes looking for server that does not kick you for some random reason, then other 10 minutes to download mods, and when you finally enter the game, you realize the round just ended and everyone left. So you go to the another server, with some weird mode, that you have no idea how to play, get bored after roaming map and not finding anyone. Then you go to the third server, which is finally some regular competitive team based mode, and there's either:

A, Not enough players for the scenario to be fun

B, Frustratingly low framerate

C, You get good at shooting others and rapidly kicked for supposed cheating.

ArmA is game worth paying for due to the single player and editor sandbox, but definitely not for the terrible multiplayer experience, unless you are just student, who has lots of time on their hands, and likes to mess with the game instead of actually playing it.

Btw it would be nice to have field in the server browsers filter, where you can put keywords which shouldn't contains the server/host name. In this case you put there: life wasteland. And the browser hide all the life and wasteland servers. It is easy to do, because it is simply the negation of the current filter.

What do you think?

Like Hide: life wasteland

+1

Exactly !!

A more advanced filter possibility with ANDs, ORs, XORs, brackets and Negate/invert would be nice

+filter by mods, and perhaps automatically restart the game and load it with the required mods

+one of the things I noticed - (and also mentioned in the Ideas & wishes thread) - somehow get around the steam query limitation for server mod lists, so that atleast the great tools like PWS and many other server browser/mod launchers have the chance to simplify our life.

Bis has solved the problem with TO Mars! Mars Life! ;)

I just want to get home from work, throw the jacket on a hook, grab a glass of coffee or tea, open server browser, click play, and get straight into the game in just two minutes

If "King of the Hill" had some teamwork mechanics or team objectives, it would be the thing you (and i) want. Is there anything that goes in that direction?

If "King of the Hill" had some teamwork mechanics or team objectives, it would be the thing you (and i) want. Is there anything that goes in that direction?

Capture the Island my friend,,,,capture the island. It's basically somewhat like king of the hill only there are multiple objectives that can only be taken in a certain order to gain dominance over an area.