Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

Squad (PR:BF2 Devs)

Looks like ArmA 2 to me.

I think it's closer to Insurgency than ArmA 2. Insurgency also promised very interesting co-op gameplay, but in the end it turned out to have very linear deathmatch maps. Not sure about this 'Squad' game...

This looks WAAAAAY better than before. Great changes, great progress. Thx for the video!

I only hope the VOIP won't be too quiet (often problem with most of the MP games I play), they'll make weapon "lowered" at least a bit during standing \ moving (kind of like ArmA did it, just more simplistic) and that You won't be forced to use tracer ammo. I'll spam their forums :P

Its unfortunate the video or video's don't reveal much.:(

Its also unfortunate, being 'iconic', does not give you the ability to tell us what the game is all about or even what the content might be..:confused:

What is Squad ? anyone.

Let me put forward my suggestion, not that it means much and it may not be the case, however... Its about a group of disgruntled mod makers that believe themselves to be 'iconic' and think they can produce a game on a par with, either this series, or BF2.

If that's the case.. Good luck.. You'll need it..;)

It looks A LOT like Project Reality (and that is all the info you need) but build from the start, engine\feature wise, with the final goal in mind - which in my book is something good.

@ChrisB

I'll be blunt, how many mods or commercial games did You release? I mean the ones You can actually play or show Your name in the credits?

Because see Chris, no matter how You look at it or how much negativity You put in Your nicely worded insults, they already produced something that shits all over BF2 with ease. If it wasn't for PR or FH, BF2 would be long dead. These guys (Black Sand Studios) are known for their professionalism, ESPECIALLY for a mod team. They have proven over the years to be one of the most solid and dedicated teams producing quality content for number of games, not to mention the fact that what they already have looks waaay more interesting for milsim people than standard BF2 meatgrinder.

Not to mention few prizes, MOTY's, etc... but I guess we have to ask Minh Lee whether he feels iconic or not. Or Dean "Rocket" Hall, maybe.

After all, these are also "just mod makers who think they can produce a game".

Also, Squaddies are at what seems to be alpha stage and they still haven't posted all of their plans all over the net? I mean... disgraceful, unproffessional, bad. It's not how at this point many things are still getting discussed or experimented with, not to mention possible bumps in the road that make "planned features" transform into "nice to have in the future features" and would make people go "omg! them promised XYZ and they only delivered XZ!".

But hey, what do I know, right?

Edited by JonPL

@ChrisB

I'll be blunt, how many mods or commercial games did You release? I mean the ones You can actually play or show Your name in the credits?

Because see Chris, no matter how You look at it or how much negativity You put in Your nicely worded insults, they already produced something that shits all over BF2 with ease. If it wasn't for PR or FH, BF2 would be long dead. These guys (Black Sand Studios) are known for their professionalism, ESPECIALLY for a mod team. They have proven over the years to be one of the most solid and dedicated teams producing quality content for number of games, not to mention the fact that what they already have looks waaay more interesting for milsim people than standard BF2 meatgrinder.

Not to mention few prizes, MOTY's, etc... but I guess we have to ask Minh Lee whether he feels iconic or not. Or Dean "Rocket" Hall, maybe.

After all, these are also "just mod makers who think they can produce a game".

Also, Squaddies are at what seems to be alpha stage and they still haven't posted all of their plans all over the net? I mean... disgraceful, unproffessional, bad. It's not how at this point many things are still getting discussed or experimented with, not to mention possible bumps in the road that make "planned features" transform into "nice to have in the future features" and would make people go "omg! them promised XYZ and they only delivered XZ!".

But hey, what do I know, right?

I don't know what you know, I don't really know of the people you mention, other than D Hall, produced a way to play A2 differently, which led onto a pretty bad standalone game, BI released. The mod was good for those who liked it, but it was a mod, hardly a game, in-fact when it became a game or early release lets say, it sort of failed (imo).

To answer your question, no I have not produced a game or mod. For what its worth, my work/business up until a few years ago, was producing large luxury bespoke 'items' from the workshop floor, up to finished item ready for use. These were items that had to be inspected independently and certificated (x3) for use. A very complicated process. I employed many highly skilled people, when I say highly skilled, I mean highly skilled craftsmen and women, all doing many various skilled tasks on a daily basis. These people are rare to find, but still would not be given the title of iconic or even want to be described that way. They are simply highly skilled working people, myself included.

I know of no serious business, that I have dealt with, in over 30yrs, that would describe themselves in such a way. As said, I did that for 30yrs, up until selling the business. That perhaps, is partly why using words as they do there, in that second video, I simply can't take seriously, I see nothing iconic in them or PR in general.

Videos for Squad so far, offer little in information, I thrive on info, if its good, I'll back and support it given that chance. But they need to tell us what it is and why its different, when I say different, I mean from what is already available here & now.

What is 'Squad' why would I buy it/play it, what does it offer, it can't offer a better PR, because PR isn't a game.

So what is the game 'Squad' what does it offer ??

Also, a mod maker is simply a person who alters, to varying degrees, the way something operates, a small part of the whole item, i.e. they didn't build the thing, they simply modified it to operate differently.

That's mod making, look at it however you will, yes you need a skill, but that's it. But to hype yourself or others up this way, does no one any favours. Say talented instead, but show the work first, then people will judge for themselves.

Never use 'iconic' as a description for yourself or others, that would be near impossible to live up to.

I give up..:( perhaps to you, these people are iconic.. who knows, only you..

I've met many very talented highly skilled people, employed many over the years, people with the abilities to produce highly skilled bespoke work. These people would never even contemplate calling themselves, or even have others call them, 'iconic'.

Just seems bizarre to me, self indulgent.

I have to agree that "iconic" has become a real marketing buzzword lately everybody uses it to promote their own stuff, even if it really doesn´t fit.

I have to agree that "iconic" has become a real marketing buzzword lately everybody uses it to promote their own stuff, even if it really doesn´t fit.

Blame Wayne, Garth, Bill, Ted and Spiccoli for lowering the standard of words like "Epic", "Awesome", "Amazing", "Legend" etc etc

~Old Head

Colour me interested. I'm sure you could create the same thing in ArmA but getting a critical mass of ArmA players to agree on a mission and mod selection to facilitate public drop-in gameplay would be nigh on impossible. And then there's ArmA's MP performance issues.

I've never been a fan of the visuals in previous iterations of the Unreal Engine but if there were any doubt about UE4's ability to render large naturalistic terrains the following video should say otherwise;

And here I was hoping for a fresh setting. Cautiously looking forward to it anyway.

And here I was hoping for a fresh setting. Cautiously looking forward to it anyway.

They're promising several settings with matching factions. Judging by PR's factions I don't think they'll be lacking variety.

Squad is a game in pre-alpha stages and is one of the first games to really compete with Arma 3's realistic gameplay.

The developers, who also developed Project Reality for BF2, promises a rich military experience and large-scale combined arms warfare in thier decently sized maps.

Squad website quote:

"Squad is an online, team-based military experience where high levels of teamwork and communication are crucial to success.

Built from the ground up in Unreal Engine 4, Squad pits teams of up to 50 people against each other in intense modern day combined-arms combat scenarios. In this realistic environment, the flow of the game is dictated by the players, with organic and emergent gameplay reigning supreme. Communicate. Coordinate. Conquer."

People are already comparing Squads early state with Arma 3.

What does Sqaud offer which is different to Arma 3?

Will Squad eventually overtake Arma 3's in terms of features and content?

Can Arma 3's expansion dlc set even higher standards for Squad to follow?

Well, we'll have to wait for Squads full release.

(Squad's Greenlight trailer)

(Showcase of some features, including picture on picture scopes)

Edited by DigitalGeo
Added videos

Arma 3's strong point and unique feature is community-made cooperative missions, not usual PvP game modes (with some exceptions).

Squad won't kill Arma 3 just like Insurgency and Counter-Strike haven't killed it.

Nvm....

EDIT: I guess I'll do it anyhow:

§4) Advertising commercial products

Do not advertise any commercial products other than those of BIS/BIA on the forums without prior BIS/BIA approval.

Edited by JShock

New game "Squad" to kill Arma 3?

No. Simple as that.

Also, those muzzle-flashes are terrible.

Edited by Jackal326

Nothing has to kill Arma, but competition is always welcome. Now BI basically has a monopoly in this genre, which is never good, for the players at least.

This thread should be here and btw don't ruin my dreams by saying that something could kill Arma

EDIT: oh wait, there already is a thread for this! http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184194-Squad-(PR-BF2-Devs)

Was not aware of that. In my defence, did use the search function on forum, and nothing revelant came up :)

I posted because I wanted other people's opinions (and because it was Greenlighted a few day ago).

Here's what I've found so far:

In Squad's forums, majority of people say Squad is better, and Arma 3 is crap.

In Arma 3's forums, nothing so far. I posted this thread to find out :)

Well It just seem that Squad is smaller based PvP tactical shooter then Arma 3 (huge Altis island).I'm not sure about

air, helicopters or planes ideas for a squad, I know they will have vehicles so there is distinction.

Free look, weapon sway, firing from vehicle, slingloading, advanced flight model, Zeus, Bipods, AIs,

day/night cycle, volumetric clouds & fog... you know I think games are quite distinctive.

ArmA is a milsim sandbox and this is a tactical shooter. Two different games. No kill no squad or arma.

Iam really looking forward this, long time that i played a tactical shooter.

Here's what I've found so far:

In Squad's forums, majority of people say Squad is better, and Arma 3 is crap.

In Arma 3's forums, nothing so far. I posted this thread to find out :)

On Battlefield forums, Battlefield is the best, on CoD forums, CoD is the best, on Insurgency forums, Insurgency is the best, on Red Orchestra forums, Red Orchestra is the best. Hopefully you see where I'm going with this.