A.Cyprus

Cyprus Push-toHear

Cyprus Push-to-Hear v1.6.0

LAST UPDATE: v1.6: 09 APRIL 2015

Now with: support for ACE3 and Zeus curator Interface

About:

Have you ever found yourself in a chopper, jet or armoured vehicle, struggling to hear your teammates chatter because the engine's too loud? How about a crazy firefight where battle sounds are drowning out the comms? Cyprus Push-to-Hear allows you to temporarily reduce in-game sound and music volume by holding down a preset key or mouse button. A toggle setting is also available, and a UI icon is displayed on the in-game HUD whenever Push-to-Hear is in effect.

Join me on a Push-to-Hear enabled server at the Expeditionary BattleGroup!

- Server: 108.61.98.84:2302

- Website

- Teamspeak

More info:

The HUD icon is positioned so as not to interfere with VTS Weapon Resting (which I use(d) religiously), and has been tested in various interface sizes.

Push-to-Hear key bindings may be changed in-game via: CONFIGURE > CONTROLS > CONFIGURE ADDONS. Mouse button configuration may be changed in the supplied userconfig file.

You may also independently configure the following settings via the userconfig file:

- the volume that SOUNDS will be suppressed to while Push-to-Hear is active

- the volume that MUSIC will be suppressed to while Push-to-Hear is active

- how long it takes for the volume changes and GUI icon to fade in

- how long it takes for the volume changes and GUI icon to fade out

In future, I will make this adjustable via an in-game interface, along with a host of new features.

Personal spiel:

This is my first attempt at creating an addon for Arma 3. I chose it as a very simple introductory project to Arma 3 scripting, yet functional for me personally. Please do post constructive feedback, helpful advice, bug reports or sensible feature requests below.

It would be great to hear from those of you who add Cyprus Push-to-Hear to your server, mission, mod collection or repository, or simply enjoy using it.

Drop me a PM or post below. Thanks! :)

A.Cyprus

Downloads:

- Dropbox, v1.6.0 UPDATED

- Armaholic, v1.6.0

- Play withSix, v1.6.0

- Arma3.de, v1.6.0

Requirements:

- CBA for Arma 3, at least RC6, or later

- A frustratingly noisy in-game environment

- Fingers

Simple instructions:

- Install the addon to your Arma 3 directory, or regular addon folder path

- Drop the userconfig folder inside your Arma 3\userconfig directory

- Customise settings in cyp_pushtohear_a3_config.hpp if needed

- Launch Arma 3 with parameter -mod=@CBA_A3;@cyp_pushtohear_a3

- Set your Push-to-Hear key bindings in-game via: CONFIGURE > CONTROLS > CONFIGURE ADDONS

Server admins:

Cyprus Push-to-Hear is signed. In fact, it is signed twice, and I have included two sets of keys. I'm going for both granularity AND simplicity.

- cyprus.bikey : this corresponds to my personal non-specific key

- cyprus-pushtohear.bikey : this corresponds to my personal key unique for this particular addon only

In this way you may either allow all my addons or cherry pick only those you want by adding the appropriate keys to your server.

Thanks to:

- [Mox] Lanski-TPF-, for the graphics, patience and of course Maya

- Taosenai and the CBA team, for their Keybinding System

- Killzone Kid, for his GUI tutorials and Hex 2 Arma GUI Colour Converter at http://killzonekid.com/

- esteldunedain, for his swift and helpful collaboration on AGM Hearing fixes, https://github.com/esteldunedain

- PabstMirror, for his considerate advice on security issues with userconfig includes

- nkey, for his curator workaround, https://github.com/michail-nikolaev

- The authors and contributors of BI Community WIKI, for such a useful reference

- Armaholic and withSix networks for hosting this addon

- My friends at the Expeditionary BattleGroup - always looking for decent members!, http://www.theexpeditionarybattlegroup.com

License:

This work is released under the Arma Public License Share Alike license.

APL-SA.png

Please include the readme.txt intact when 'sharing' the addon.

Change log:

- [updated, 21.05.2015]

- NEW: Use Push-to-Hear as Zeus, in the Curator interface

- NEW: Compatible with ACE3 Hearing module

- FIX: Push-to-Hear GUI icon no longer disappears after a certain period

- FIX: CBA RC6 keybinds now save

- [updated, 09.04.2015]

- FIX: Converted keybind system to CBA RC6

- [updated, 16.10.2014]

- FIX: Corrected issue with players being kicked from servers for bad signature (wasn't actually the key that was the problem)

- NEW: Included addon-specific server key, in addition to the general key for all my addons

- [updated, 11.10.2014]

- NEW: Push-to-Hear GUI icon now displayed over Map when active

- NEW: Suppressed volume levels can now be set via userconfig

- NEW: Suppressed volume levels can be set independently for sounds vs music

- NEW: Suppress and restore effect durations for volumes and GUI icon can now be set independently

- FIX: Corrected a potentially exploitable issue in userconfig include

- [updated, 01.10.2014]

- NEW: Compatability with AGM Hearing module (requires AGM v0.94 or later)

- NEW: Introduced userconfig file for various customisable settings

- NEW: Configurable mouse buttons now useable for Push-to-Hear (no toggle)

- NEW: 'Suppressed' volume level now configurable

- NEW: Sound and music volumes checked and handled independently

- FIX: Check and restore previous sound and music volumes when Push-to-Hear deactivated

- FIX: Toggle function changed to keyup to avoid UI icon flickering when holding down toggle key

- FIX: Volume reduced only if 'suppressed' volume level is less than current music or sound volume

- [initial release, 29.09.2014]

Edited by A.Cyprus
  • Like 1

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest

Effective and simple, just the way they should be. Thanks for your work!

Thanks for the feedback, guys :)

In honesty, I was a little hesitant in releasing this. It was more of a learning exercise and I didn't think anyone else would actually find it useful.

Hey ACyprus I love the mod and it is something that me and others have been wanting for a long time in MilSim ARMA.

I hate to be the bad weather but I can't seem to configure the keys on my mouse to the addon keys.

If there is any solution that would be great but keep up the good work. :ok:

Sounds cool. Will download asap.

Cheers. Lemme know how you get on.

Seems neat. Definitely something I've needed many times in the past.

Just seen your sig, I'm a massive fan of your Arma 3 YouTube channel. Glad you've found this helpful :)

Effective and simple, just the way they should be.

Thanks. I've a few addons currenty underway - I'm approaching all of them with that very same mantra. They won't be particularly dazzling or complex but hopefully they will be really handy.

I can't seem to configure the keys on my mouse to the addon keys.

If there is any solution that would be great but keep up the good work.

Sadly, I'm aware of this as I'd tried it myself.

I'm using a mechanism exposed by CBA to manage the key bindings and that system does not currently support mouse buttons.

This is due to an underlying issue with event handlers in the engine, specifically wrt mouse clicks.

(Here's the relevant ticket on the Feedback Tracker if you're interested more details.)

I'll see what I can do for you as a workaround, and try to make it as elegant as possible.

Looks like fadeSound command doesn't work. Only me?

I'm using latest stable version (1.30) and AGM addon.

I haven't tested in conjunction with AGM.

Are you using all AGM modules? If not, which ones?

Could you provide the content of your RPT file please, in case that sheds any clues?

Thanks.

Looks like fadeSound command doesn't work. Only me?

I'm using latest stable version (1.30) and AGM addon.

I've looked into this issue for you:

fadeSound and Cyprus PtH both work correctly on v1.30.

However, AGM's Hearing module takes control of sound volume to simulate temporary deafness during explosions and nearby gun fire etc, or the wearing of ear plugs. This breaks Cyprus PtH functionality.

I will contact the author for a compromise. Imho, it should be acceptable for AGM to allow reduction in sound volume when PtH is active, as long as this is below the current 'deafness' level. When PtH is turned off, sound levels could return whichever 'deafness' factor was enforced by AGM Hearing at the time.

In the meanwhile, the only workaround would be to remove agm_hearing.pbo from your @agm folder.

Edited by ACyprus

Update to status above:

The chaps at team AGM have been kind enough to patch in some changes to AGM_Hearing that allow me to resolve the issue in PtH.

I have already implemented these changes and will be releasing an updated version as soon as the next AGM is out.

@MrSaltyLemon

Would you be satisfied with just the push-to-hear function bound to a mouse press, or are you also interested in the toggle feature?

Would you be satisfied with just the push-to-hear function bound to a mouse press, or are you also interested in the toggle feature?

I would love to have a push-to-hear function as I do use a lot of push to talk. Thanks for heads up man :).

Ok, cool. I was expecting you to say 'both' but I'll get that sorted for you first.

I have some time to work on that hopefully Friday evening so expect an update (which will include AGM fixes too) some time soon.

Cyprus Push-to-Hear v1.2

NEW UPDATE: v1.2: 09 OCTOBER 2014

I have updated the opening post with link and details.

This release includes mouse-button functionality, AGM fixes, and some other tweaks. See the changelog in above post.

Lmk any bugs :D

Edited by ACyprus

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Cyprus Push-to-Hear v1.4

NEW UPDATE: v1.4: 11 OCTOBER 2014

I have updated the opening post with link and details.

This release includes some important fixes, plus added tweakability in configuration settings. See the changelog in above post.

Apologies to Armaholic and Play WithSix for releasing a new version so soon.

Lmk any bugs :D

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.