Sign in to follow this  
laxemann

L_ExShake - Camera shaking for distant explosions

LAxemann presents

L_ExShake

Camera shaking for distant explosions

What's ExShake about?

ExShake adds camshake to distant explosions depending on what just blew up. That's it. Really.

Features:

• Camshake for distant explosions

• Camshake is based on what just exploded (The shaking for effects is very subtile while a bomb can be "felt" over ~1km)

• The shockwave needs time to reach you

Feel free to suggest tweaks about the intensity!

Known Issues

• I use the same projectile tracking method that I did for JSRS DragonFyre and it therefore only works for projectiles that have been "fired" by a unit or vehicle. Spawned projectiles won't cause a camera shake. Lord Jarhead and I would be very happy if you could vote for THIS TICKET. Thanks!

Where can we download that stuff?

Here (Dropbox, V 0.60)

or

news_download_a3_3.png

L_ExShake v0.6

Changelog

0.6 - Effect tweaking

• Generally, the intensity is a bit toned down and distant explosions shouldn't cause long

shakes but short "bumps"

0.5 - Initial Release

Credits

• BIS for ArmA3. Just one hell of a game! :D

• Opticalsnare for inspiring me to do this with his latest blastcore update video. Just one hell of a mod!

Edited by LAxemann

Dude, I was about to make a ticket about the camera shake not following the speed of sound! You just made my day!

Wait so do close explosions already shake your screen in arma 3 vanilla, and then this makes the far away ones do it but with delay?

I feel like the close by ones might make you shake but I forget and have no acess to arma currently

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Does the intensity change based on distance? In that video it seemed like some of the nearby arty impacts seemed to cause a more subtle shake than the shake from the planes dropping bombs on the airfield, despite it being wayyyyy further away.

Does the intensity change based on distance? In that video it seemed like some of the nearby arty impacts seemed to cause a more subtle shake than the shake from the planes dropping bombs on the airfield, despite it being wayyyyy further away.

Yup, changes dynamically with distance (I'm using simple formulas to calculate the intensity).

Weaker explosions cause less shake whatsoever.

Also, I've noticed that the effect appears to be very strong in the videos, however it's way more subtile when actually playing a mission - at least that's what I've experiences.

Yup, changes dynamically with distance (I'm using simple formulas to calculate the intensity).

Also, I've noticed that the effect appears to be very strong in the videos, however it's way more subtile when actually playing a mission - at least that's what I've experiences.

Great idea,

have you thought about using lower shake frequencies with higher intensities?

Decreasing the frequency with distance with an upper limit of around 20-25Hz for close explosions should give a good effect.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Some suggestions if I may, the close use shake/rumble, further away a single thud type effect is more realistic.

Allright, i'll play around with the intensities a bit as soon as i've got some spare time.

Thank you very much for your feedback, let's make that small mod enjoyable as f*ck :D

Edit:

Also, feel free to de-pbo the mod (it really IS simple and small, don't worry) and play around with the formulas a bit.

If you think that you just found THE right setting, let me know! :)

I wonder if you can use a different animation to simulate the effect. If a single explosion occurs, you should feel one strong hit that knocks you over more or less, but instead you have the camera wiggle for quite a while back and forth.

This vibrating wiggle move would however be very appropriate when a tank drives by just a few meters away. Here is a video showing a column of Leopard 2 tanks driving by, camera is on a tripod, and you can see the vibration caused by the 47,6-liter V12 Diesel pushing that 62 tons past you:

(and speaking from experience, I can say that the same happens to your head *lol*)

If you could increase the wiggle frequency and strength, it would be good for tanks and big trucks. But for explosions, I'd rather see one single jerk, together with some fullscreen blur if the explosion is close, but both just for a split second (not more than half a second!). If you want to simulate a suppression effect on people, an effect similar to the one you get after releasing the hold breath key would be good (i.e. stronger breathing movement for just a very few seconds), or you could change the viewing direction randomly, so people lose aim and are a bit disoriented (similar to the effect when you are shot or hit by grenade shrapnel, just weaker of course).

Good to know. Looking forward to trying it :)

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

I think it would be cool to have a better effect for armor rolling by. The current effect is too much, happens from way too far away, and just doesn't have the right movement. It should be more of a rumble/vibration than a jostling and shaking like it is.

I wonder if something similar could be used to make vehicles seem less like they are rolling on perfect roads when they are on rough dirt roads and even off road. You get the occasional bump but this kind of effect based on maybe changing velocity could help make the vehicles feel a little rough-and-tumble...er.

I don't like the idea of blurring vision or changing point of aim. If it's close enough to knock you around, it's close enough for you to be in the round's casualty radius anyway and the game does enough with that as it is. I'd rather keep things simple and if anything, understated.

Yeah It'll go nicely with Phoenix OS.

Def gonna try this out when I get back to my pc

Update

Download

Changelog:

0.6 - Effect tweaking

• Generally, the intensity is a bit toned down and distant explosions shouldn't cause long

shakes but short "bumps"

Feedback is more than welcome. Also: Some guys mentioned that the shockwave should reach the player before the actual sound - is that true?

Have fun!

Feedback is more than welcome. Also: Some guys mentioned that the shockwave should reach the player before the actual sound - is that true?

Have fun!

Sounds travel a lot faster in solids than they do in air, but I think the shockwave in the ground "dies out" long before the sound in the air, in the first video you can clearly see the shockwave traveling outwards from the explosion and lifting dust off the ground, then it kind of fades away and the next thing you see is the shadow of the shockwave that still travels in the air, and once it reaches the camera, BOOOM and the view starts shaking.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Also, feel free to de-pbo the mod (it really IS simple and small, don't worry) and play around with the formulas a bit.

If you think that you just found THE right setting, let me know! :)

Shouldn't the:

if ((vehicle player) != player) exitWith {};
if (((getPos player) select 2) > 15) exitWith {};

be moved to the top of the scripts? That way we exit it before doing any potentially pointless calculations.

Shouldn't the:
if ((vehicle player) != player) exitWith {};
if (((getPos player) select 2) > 15) exitWith {};

be moved to the top of the scripts? That way we exit it before doing any potentially pointless calculations.

Nope, since the projectiles are being tracked inside the script and the player could meanwhile disembark from the vehicle etc. :)

Nice mod really adds a lot to the game I can see that the mod works well in Single Player but it doesn't seem to be working in multiplayer when other players are shooting is this the same for everyone or have I done something wrong?

Suggestion: could you add a post process effects along with the shake? Like a blur and increased aperture, scaled in relation to distance and explosion strength. Kinda like the nuke effect from Eagle Wings campagin in A2 or the vision explosion effects in Fallout 4. Just a little touch to add more feedback to explosions along with the shake.