Sign in to follow this  
Drumheller

A plea to BI: Please let us choose when to update. Automatic updates break the game.

Updates forced through on steam in a game that is so heavily reliant on mods is a disaster.

The last big update broke many things. So many things we don't even know how many yet. This wouldn't have been a problem in ArmA 2. In A2, when an update went through, players and units could simply choose to not update and wait a few weeks to see how the update was working and make sure all the mods they used were properly updated. In A3, what we have instead is fairly consistent updates being pushed through regardless of steam settings, and no way to roll back. The setting of "do not update this game" on steam absolutely does not work, and never has for any game. Updates force themselves through all the time regardless of settings.

This post is to beg for BI to look into something on steam that will prevent this from happening. Preferably both a way to stop updates from happening, and the ability to roll back updates if they do happen.

I cannot imagine that my unit is the only one that suffers from these issues. These constant updates being pushed through regardless of our desire is unhealthy in the long-term for units in ArmA that rely on mods(almost every unit in ArmA).

I guess you already know that you have that option integrated inside Steam. You just have to disable automatic downloads, and voila!

If it doesn't work ask to Steam Technic help

I guess you already know that you have that option integrated inside Steam. You just have to disable automatic downloads, and voila!

If it doesn't work ask to Steam Technic help

You didn't read the post huh?

It doesn't work and never has. It's a widely acknowledged fact. Have you ever tried to contact steam for support? It's a nightmare.

That also doesn't address the inability to roll back to a prior, stable version of any given game. In this specific case, ArmA 3.

What's more, even if you were too late to disable automatic download, you can always pause the d/l and then launch Steam in offline mode. You can play with an update half-downloaded and still access the previous version!

You didn't read the post huh?

It doesn't work and never has. It's a widely acknowledged fact. Have you ever tried to contact steam for support? It's a nightmare.

Of course I did read it, just that if it doesn't work for you ( in my case it does ), you have to contact with Steam, not with BI.

If I have a puncture in my tire I'll call the car mechanic not the company who made the car.

R&U :p

in all seriousness though yeah the latest update has been an absolute nightmare...

i like the direction BI is going with the updates but have the ability to roll back would be nice incase of the incidents that happened tonight on our severs.

I signed up for the forums just so I could add my name to this list. Please BI, give your player base the tools we need to play the game we've bought.

Has someone submitted a ticket on the feedback tracker?

Please post it, dont let your votes go to waste be heard! once you setup a ticket then link this thread in it.

I add my support: BI, please put pressure on Steam for this, it makes what is simply the latest in the greatest series of modded games in history nearly unplayable in any meaningful way. We understand that it isn't on you to fix Steam directly... but this is YOUR game being messed with and made unplayable, not theirs.

I know that people want to whine and complain far more than they actually want the problem fixed...

...but I'll repeat myself anyways. Put your Steam in Offline Mode. Go back online to check for updates. If ArmA 3 starts downloading, then pause the download. You will still be able to play the old build if the download is not yet complete (going back into Offline Mode may be required).

Has someone submitted a ticket on the feedback tracker?

Please post it, dont let your votes go to waste be heard! once you setup a ticket then link this thread in it.

502 Bad Gateway - Feedback tracker is down which is why I made this post

I know that people want to whine and complain far more than they actually want the problem fixed...

...but I'll repeat myself anyways. Put your Steam in Offline Mode. Go back online to check for updates. If ArmA 3 starts downloading, then pause the download. You will still be able to play the old build if the download is not yet complete (going back into Offline Mode may be required).

This is not a fix. It's a bad, non-feasable solution to a broken system. If even ONE person in a unit updates their game, they can no longer play with their unit until the whole unit updates.

Read and acknowledge that this is bad for the game.

+1.

You guys realise BI ditched the A2 system because is was slowing them down? Do you imagine the work it is to sort out if reported issues are not from an obsolete version?

For the sake of Arma3 development, let this thread go down.

It's not gonna happen anyway. :P