pettka

Tools Development Branch Discussion

Are some of the tools meant to be non functioning? This is all using stable.

FSM Editor -

After the recent update I thought i would finally uninstall my 2.5 version of the FSM editor seeing it is now contained in the tools with all the compile configs. What ever i try the editor just say cannot open file, be these my own created FSMs or ones from the extracted a3.

It will save files ok both bifsm and compiled but will not open them afterwards.

TextView -

On opening the application it just complains about missing reg entries...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software\BISstudio\TextureConvert

I checked all the data and it looks like you just need to verify the integrity of the cache from Steam, in order to force it to execute the installScript and add the missing registry keys. :)
uhhh so if im not mistaken FuturatoP is the same as Arma3p? because i get errors saying it cannot find the source directory whenever i run it.
development branch
Can you provide me the command line used?

FuturaToP.bat "D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3" "P:\"

output:

"from was unexpected at this time"

before this goes totally under

there is a big problem with the actual development branch arma3 tools !

creating signatures and bikey's with development branch generates server admins a lot of troubles and hours of trouble resolving

using such a bikey alone server will register after 1-5 minutes delay to steam but

using such a bikey together with other keys results in server will never register to steam and also you have to kill it's process manually closing the server console

I created a ton of different keys with the development branch arma3 tools and the error persists

switching back to stable branch resolves problem!

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22567

FSM Editor -

After the recent update I thought i would finally uninstall my 2.5 version of the FSM editor seeing it is now contained in the tools with all the compile configs. What ever i try the editor just say cannot open file, be these my own created FSMs or ones from the extracted a3.

It will save files ok both bifsm and compiled but will not open them afterwards.

I did the same thing and ended up with the same problem. Just clicking on the FSM file in the file browser results in FSM editor opening with a blank file and the message 'cannot open file'. However I can make it work if I launch FSM editor through A3Tools and open the fsm file from within FSM editor. Better than nothing but its a lot of extra steps to do something simple, especially when I'm bouncing between different files/versions a lot.

Whilst i suspect the verification advice may have been more aimed at the Texview problem I tried it anyway to no avail.

before this goes totally under

there is a big problem with the actual development branch arma3 tools !

creating signatures and bikey's with development branch generates server admins a lot of troubles and hours of trouble resolving

using such a bikey alone server will register after 1-5 minutes delay to steam but

using such a bikey together with other keys results in server will never register to steam and also you have to kill it's process manually closing the server console

I created a ton of different keys with the development branch arma3 tools and the error persists

switching back to stable branch resolves problem!

today's update fixed the issue !

thank you

@tom_48_97

Any news on this issue? O2Script seems to remove #Mass# taggs from the PhysX LOD. Thanks!

Are some of the tools meant to be non functioning? This is all using stable.

FSM Editor -

Happens to me when I double-click an FSM file. The only way I can get it to work is by explicitly running it from an icon and then selecting "Open". Otherwise, any FSM just gives an error messages.

@tom_48_97

Any news on this issue? O2Script seems to remove #Mass# taggs from the PhysX LOD. Thanks!

Not for the moment.
Happens to me when I double-click an FSM file. The only way I can get it to work is by explicitly running it from an icon and then selecting "Open". Otherwise, any FSM just gives an error messages.
This is one of the reasons why I reworked fileAssoc ;)

Not for the moment.

Any plans to change that? My Blender exporter somewhat depends on this. If it isn't going to be fixed, I will need to rewrite the complete normal handling code, which I am ... well.. reluctant to do, unless I know it's not going to be fixed in the near future :)

This is one of the reasons why I reworked fileAssoc ;)

For me at least the problem persists. When I start FSMEdit with a double-click on an FSM file, it will pop up the error requester saying it isn't a valid FSM. Furthermore, each attempt to then open another FSM via the Open... menu item results in the same error. ONly when started from the original icon, or via the launcher program, will it load and work correctly.

About the O2Script issue, unfortunately, I can only tell you that it's in my task list.

Could you provide me a sample if such FSM (send me a PM if you want to keep it private)?

About the O2Script issue, unfortunately, I can only tell you that it's in my task list.

Alright, so I will need to look into how Arma uses normals :D

Could you provide me a sample if such FSM (send me a PM if you want to keep it private)?

Sure, here is one: http://pastebin.com/ZqSqNyxn

I get the issue with every FSM, be it one of my own or BIS'. I assume that running from a project file via file association might not set the right current folder or something of that nature. It does not seem to depend on the FSM itself, just the way it is launched.

From my side, I have no issue, it loads correctly and update the config file path on save, even if I haven't "h:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Tools\FSM Editor Personal Edition\scriptedFSM.cfg".

The point is when you run it from a file (open with...), the working directory will be where the file is located and on save, the path to the configuration file will be set as an absolute one. Whereas, when FSMEditor is run, either, from a shortcut or from the exe, the working directory will be where FSMEditor is installed and the path to the configuration file will be defined as a relative path.

Maybe you can try to edit manually FSM, defining an absolute path to the config file.

For the next update, I will edit FileAssoc to force the working directory as well.

I tried to delete the file association from the registry and then re-added it with fileAssoc.exe. The result is that it says "added", every time I run it, but no association is actually entered, although the registry afterwards shows "BI Script" as class... am I missing something?

Just in case, could you have a try with this version of FileAssoc (freshly compiled)?

http://tom4897.info/?attachment_id=2759

I hope it will fix your issue :pray:

Same problem I'm afraid. The tool looks like this:

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools>fileAssoc.exe
=====================================================================
== E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\fileAssoc.exe

Exe timestamp: 2015.02.13 9:49:16
Current time:  2015.02.13 1:43:50

=====================================================================
Extension '.wss' as 'Audio WSS': [OK] (added or updated)
Extension '.fsm' as 'Script': [OK] (added or updated)
Extension '.bifsm' as 'Script': [OK] (added or updated)
Extension '.p3d' as '3D': [OK] (added or updated)
Extension '.paa' as 'Image': [OK] (added or updated)
Extension '.pac' as 'Image': [OK] (added or updated)

== PROGRAM DONE ==
PRESS ANY KEY TO EXIT 

However, double-clicking a FSM file will still come up with the "chose program to run with" dialog, and selecting FSM Edit will bring up the error message.

There must be some remains from BI Tools 2.5 in the registry because for now I'm unable to reproduce the issue. I will try to investigation on this lane to see if it's really the cause.

There must be some remains from BI Tools 2.5 in the registry because for now I'm unable to reproduce the issue. I will try to investigation on this lane to see if it's really the cause.

I only recently re-installed my complete system since I moved to an SSD, so there is guaranteed to be no trace left of the 2.5 tools.

Some extra info: When I open a command line and go to my mission folder, launching FSMEditor like this:

E:\Users\hfrieden\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\Alwarren\MPMissions\co10_fhq_road_song.takistan>"e:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\FSMEditor\FSMEditor.exe" flow.fsm

will result in the same error (i.e. "Cannot Open" popup), while running like this:

e:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\FSMEditor>FSMEditor.exe "\Users\hfrieden\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\Alwarren\MPMissions\co10_fhq_road_song.takistan\flow.fsm"

works. I.e. starting from the FSMEditor's folder as current directory works, but the other way around gives the error.

So I rather think that the problem is with FSMEditor not being able to run from outside its own folder rather than the file association itself, if that makes any sense.

What's your Windows version? (because I also have fresh installs of Win 7 and 8 and I'm still unable to reproduce the issue) And yes, the working directory is definitely the cause but now, the question is: why it's not working on some computers only?

Thanks for the tests and the feedback.

It's Windows 7 Home Premium, German version.

I noticed that the FSMEdit and Texview2 both are under "Bohemia Interactive Studios" in the registry, not, like the rest of the tools, under "Bomhemia Interactive". No idea if that is relevant or not.

It's irrelevant to the current issue because the registry is only used for parameters, not for parameters like the working directory.

It's irrelevant to the current issue because the registry is only used for parameters, not for parameters like the working directory.

Roger, just thought I'd mention it in case it would give a hint. I suppose FSMEdit's runtime is responsible for finding the working directory then.

Just to weigh in on the FSM thing - I also did a clean install of windows 8.1 x64 the other day and still have issues trying to open FSM files directly (though i note its logged as a known issue in the dev branch changelog)

Well im still having the same problem with the FSM Editor.

I have uninstalled 2.5 tools and latest Arma3 tools.

Cleaned out registry of both 2.5 information and any file associations.

On reinstalling Arma3 Tools...

Running FSM editor from exe or via tools menu

I can open and save all .bifsm and .fsm files without problems

Running FSM editor by double clicking a .bifsm or .fsm file

.bifsm files will load ok

.fsm files still display "can not open file" error box

This is any .fsm, previously created, created from new in latest FSM Editor or A3 vanilla file.

As Sari says you can get it to work but it is far from ideal when you are flitting around your work directories or extracted vanilla and you want to click on a file to open it.

Are there any plans for Terrain Builder update/patch/upgrade? I've been mapping quite a lot recently and have ran into some troublesome bugs and it would be nice to hear if anything new can be expected or should I just keep at it with what we got.

This issue still presists from time to time, although I've learned to work around it by throwing objects around to different layers and save+restart the TB and the objects become again selectable/ or if theyre stuck on a layer that I've moved all other objects away, I can clear the layer.

I've also done a lot of copy pasting and moving objects in groups and have noticed that moving stacks of objects sometimes creates a few duplicates into the selection, for instance I've bee copying a 10 piece wall section snapped together and suddenly there are couple of extra pieces stacked on top of each other and sometimes they are not even on the same layer.

Latest thing I've come across is that if I select terrain verticles with a vector shape and try to set their height the height does not change but it also "locks" the terrain points and if I select them manually and try to set their height again the some/all points that were selected via the shape are stuck although points around them do change to the new height. Again I can bypass this by restarting TB, but it slows down the process a lot. The bigger problem is that I can't use the shapes to edit the terrain.

I might be doing something wrong too so if anyone can try this out I'd appreciate it.

Just to weigh in on the FSM thing - I also did a clean install of windows 8.1 x64 the other day and still have issues trying to open FSM files directly (though i note its logged as a known issue in the dev branch changelog)
Fact is for now, I'm unable to reproduce the issue, I'm going to install some VMs today to be able to run additional tests outside of my development setup. Regarding the change log, yes, it's a now a known issue impacting many users, it was logic to me to add it into the change log.
Are there any plans for Terrain Builder update/patch/upgrade? I've been mapping quite a lot recently and have ran into some troublesome bugs and it would be nice to hear if anything new can be expected or should I just keep at it with what we got.

This issue still presists from time to time, although I've learned to work around it by throwing objects around to different layers and save+restart the TB and the objects become again selectable/ or if theyre stuck on a layer that I've moved all other objects away, I can clear the layer.

I've also done a lot of copy pasting and moving objects in groups and have noticed that moving stacks of objects sometimes creates a few duplicates into the selection, for instance I've bee copying a 10 piece wall section snapped together and suddenly there are couple of extra pieces stacked on top of each other and sometimes they are not even on the same layer.

Latest thing I've come across is that if I select terrain verticles with a vector shape and try to set their height the height does not change but it also "locks" the terrain points and if I select them manually and try to set their height again the some/all points that were selected via the shape are stuck although points around them do change to the new height. Again I can bypass this by restarting TB, but it slows down the process a lot. The bigger problem is that I can't use the shapes to edit the terrain.

I might be doing something wrong too so if anyone can try this out I'd appreciate it.

I will investigate about your issue to see if it's caused by TB itself or it's a user side issue.

As for the plans about Terrain Builder, some additions have been committed on the dev branch (0.83.2) and other changes and fixes are in progress but because of the Marksmen DLC, I cannot tell you when it will be done nor released. But, don't worry, TB is still actively developed.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

For those who experience issues with the file association of FSM Editor, could you, please, run a diagnostic and send me the result? Here or via email (julien.vida [at] bistudio)