fred41

using large page memory mapping, for increased performance

neeed an option to revert this my 8 gig system is running our of ram and i gain no fps improvement!

so help how do i undo the changes ( would be nice to read it in your first post)

i can run secpol.msc cause i have win 8.1 pro but where can i find this? have the german version find nothing about memory ...

Edited by tarabas666

neeed an option to revert this my 8 gig system is running our of ram and i gain no fps improvement!

so help how do i undo the changes ( would be nice to read it in your first post)

i can run secpol.msc cause i have win 8.1 pro but where can i find this? have the german version find nothing about memory ...

You don't need the secpol.msc to revert. Just remove(or change to 0) the registry value mentioned in the first post:

2. use regedit to create/set DWORD value 'UseLargePages' = 1, for key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\arma3.exe]

In secpol.msc, the option is under Security settings-> Local policies -> User Rights Assignment

"Lock pages in memory".

Translate that to your language.

I have added my username to that (if you rightclick and select Properties you'll understand).

Reversing it should be a simple deletion of user

@Greenfist and @mamasan8, thanks for helping out.

Correct, setting 'UseLargePages' to 0, will fully disable this tweak.

I think the biggest problem is, that users don't know, what useraccountname they should use with 'GMF.exe useraccountname'.

I added a hint in initial post to hopefully make things more clear:

- find out the name of user account, that is used to run arma (start arma, 'taskmanager'->'processes'->'User Name')

@tarabas666, german secpol.msc terms are:

'Locale Richtlinien'->'Zuweisen von Benutzerrechten'->'Sperren von Seiten im Speicher'

Greets,

Fred41

Strange, am I the only one with huge FPS gain with this tweak? I get at least 5 more FPS running the benchmark. Oh well I might be lucky or something.

Strange, am I the only one with huge FPS gain with this tweak? I get at least 5 more FPS running the benchmark. Oh well I might be lucky or something.

I got 53 -> 59 fps in Altis benchmark. While it's very nice, it doesn't really matter on such high fps. I could live with 53 just fine. It's the lower end that matters. All my heavy benchmarks showed only 1-3% gain, like from 29 to 30.

Some say the game feels smoother but I can't say for sure. I guess I have to record and compare the individual frame times to confirm it. Smoother should show as stable fps.

I've noticed that if the fps fluctuates even as little as +-5% at around 40fps, it feels much worse than stable 40.

I noticed some positive changes even in AI heavy situations. I had some missions with max. 40 AI(fighting each other at the same place at the same time) enough so I can play without framedrops and reasonable smoothness. Now I can almost add 20 more AIs in the same mission but keep same frames and smoothness as before. Disabling Windows Search Index helped as well(delays RAM fragmentation). You guys must shut down programs that you don't use and maybe reduce startup programs.

Edited by Nikiforos

Note about username:

If you have the windows option 'RUN' in the start menu. Type 'cmd.exe' to open the command line interface.

It should start in the folder c:\users\Administrator (where Administrator is your windows account username)

Then if you place Fred's GMF.exe in that folder you can type: gmf administrator (use whatever name is shown in the c:\users\...)

thanks for the help! Perhaps i gain no fps improvents cause i run arma 3 from ssd. reloading from ssd into ram is fast enough then ?? i wonder a bit why windows tells me i ran out of ram when arma only uses 2.5 gig and i have 64 bit 8 gig and not much other stuff is going on. perhapse cause i set the pagefile a little smaller like 2 GB to save space from my little 128GB SSD. i revert pagefile settings and see if ram error is still there.

thanks for the help! Perhaps i gain no fps improvents cause i run arma 3 from ssd. reloading from ssd into ram is fast enough then ?? i wonder a bit why windows tells me i ran out of ram when arma only uses 2.5 gig and i have 64 bit 8 gig and not much other stuff is going on. perhapse cause i set the pagefile a little smaller like 2 GB to save space from my little 128GB SSD. i revert pagefile settings and see if ram error is still there.

just a quick note, i have a ssd as well and have +4fps.

Yeah, I definitely set the correct user (actually it was already set correctly in secpol.msc)...just didn't see any performance increase.

... an additional, probably important hint for everybody running arma under a useraccount that is member of the Administrator group:

You have to start arma via 'Run as administrator' too, in this case (because of UAC).

An other (more secure) option is, to make an normal account (not member of the administrator group) to run arma.

Greets,

Fred41

@Devast8nDiscoDave, really nice tool, but does it set the required privilege for non admin accounts too?

Edited by Fred41

How do I make it run as administrator if I run it from Steam?

How do I make it run as administrator if I run it from Steam?

I would recommend to make a desktop shortcut to start arma3.exe directly and if needed use 'Run as administrator' via right mouse click (you can start steam manually before arma).

Bar in mind:

Only, for useraccounts, that are member of the administrator group, you have to start arma via 'Run as administrator'.

If your account, used to run arma, is not member of the administrator group and you have the privilege successfully granted to this account, then you can start arma as usual.

Greets,

Fred41

Edited by Fred41

Just to summarize: This registry-tweak, once applied by an administrator, functions for every account, user and administrator, that has large pages enabled?

@NoPOW, exactly.

The registry tweak it self, is per application (useraccount independend), the privilege is per useraccount/group.

Does this effect SweetFX? since running this tweak SweetFX has stopped working on my pc, dont know if its just coincidence but its not just arma its stopped working on.

I think it is very unlikely, that this registry tweak has any effect to SweetFX.

You could just set the related registry value 'UseLargePages' to 0, to fully disable this tweak and check what happens.

... an additional, probably important hint for everybody running arma under a useraccount that is member of the Administrator group:

You have to start arma via 'Run as administrator' too, in this case (because of UAC).

An other (more secure) option is, to make an normal account (not member of the administrator group) to run arma.

Greets,

Fred41

Even if UAC is disabled?

... assuming you mean UAC-settings at 'never notify', i would say yes ...