fred41

using large page memory mapping, for increased performance

Lol, sorry Fred41!! Will try this at once.

Update:

Ok everything works fine , thank you Fred41 for the extra FPS :)

Edited by Nikiforos

Update:

Ok everything works fine , thank you Fred41 for the extra FPS :)

:yay:

/KC

i followed all the steps but i cannot find the arma3LP.exe anywhere, where exactly is it meant to appear after using the LPmanager?

i followed all the steps but i cannot find the arma3LP.exe anywhere, where exactly is it meant to appear after using the LPmanager?

In Your Arma 3 folder. Did you use the LPManager in your Arma 3 folder? If not, try that.

It helps my old rig but don't expect alot more FPS but any FPS I can gain I use since my rig except my GPU is past its expiration date (~7 ears old) ...

/KC

Only reason for me still playing Arma 3 is this thread and the solutions to FPS problems. A big thanks to Fred41! :)

Hi Fred, big thanks from me too!

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187658-Yet-Another-Arma-Benchmark

From 27,8 to 32,2fps!! (13,6% more frames). Used stable 1.44 and latest malloc.

A little investigation: with latest stable arma3 version first time I start the game I get not full clockspeed on cpu. I have to start the game second time. But thats not malloc related.

Hi all - this looks really interesting but don't seeem to get it to work. I've followed the instructions (Arma3LP.exe in root of Arma3 etc....)and all I get is the little Windows 8 spinning disk and Arma doesn't launch. I am on the Dev branch if this makes a difference....

Any ideas?

Cheers

Can't we just have some kind of BI support with this tweak? An official BE compatible LP exe and "apply patch" button and checkbox in the Launcher?

I agree, a lot of people suggest GMF for performance but fred41 has stated that the current implementation is risky as it could get you banned by battleye. In fact, people looking for extra fps are often directed to this page: http://day0.com.au/forum/arma/638-arma-3-performance-tweaks-and-settings-guide which suggests GMF should be used and directs you to this thread which in turn directs you to read the GMF readme on github. I think people might still take the chance or not read the readme, join a BE enabled server and get banned.

I hope BI provide some clarification on the use of this mod with BE or adopt it themselves as danczer suggested.

THis looks great but it wont let me check the LP ImageFileMapping Client box

Batteye block tbbmalloc since last update. Is it possible to fix?

batteye block tbbmalloc since last update. Is it possible to fix?

+1

/KC

Edit: I sent BE an e-mail, lets wait and see whats happen.

Edited by KeyCat

Since 2-3 weeks before last update I´ve no performance gain with malloc anymore. Don´t know what happened. Anyone same experience?

Unfortunately this will not work with windows 10 home edition, secpol.msc is not available in the Home edition .. Also the github and all information is gone for some reason.

I just now benchmarked with helos 0.60 and the improvement is like from 75.0 to 77.5, compared to 32bit version a very small difference.

With yaab i don't see any consistent difference. At the end not enough to make a tool for that again.

However, this probably means BI did his homework better now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nikiforos said:

Fred41 your github page is gone? Are you going to restore it?

@nikiforos, if i feel i have something serious to contribute again, why not,

but currently this is not the case.

Regarding your home edition's lack of 'secpol.msc', i remember there was a guy at guru3d,

hijacking this idea here and offering a tool to setup binary-LP mapping for many different games, including arma.

I didn't try it, but perhaps this is an solution for you.

@fred41 hello, i'll very pleasured if you can find some another perfomance boosts since x64 bins was realeased

@abudabi,

actually this is very unlikely, since BE isn't allowing any modification/investigation at binary level and arma is still closed source.

Anyway, there is meanwhile a '-hugePages' launch param for client and server and my tests are showing that it is working well.

Binary large page mapping (this very registry tweak) works flawless for 64 bit server and client too.

Just use this both advantages, it is still totally free and easy to use.

@fred41 you mean about this thing?

For the more experienced users, you can do the required changes manuallly too, by:

1. use regedit to create/set DWORD value 'UseLargePages' = 1, for key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\arma3_x64.exe]

(or just merge GMF_on.reg from github repository)

2. use secpol.msc to set the 'Lock pages in memory' privileg for the windows useraccount, used to run arma (restart required)

And the third advantage is the xtbb, im right?

@abudabi, simple spoken, this both advantages are based of large page mapping for 1. code and 2. data

for 1.(code):

use regedit to create/set DWORD value 'UseLargePages' = 1, for key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\arma3_x64.exe]

for 2.(data)

either use BI's default allocator and simple add -hugePages to your arma start line (i think the launcher provides a checkbox for this already),

or use blub's 'xtbbmalloc.dll' for some interesting features like diagnostics, etc, the performance advantage should be the same

In any case, your (windows) useraccount must have the 'Lock pages in memory' privilege enabled (probably already done).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fred41 said:

@abudabi, simple spoken, this both advantages are based of large page mapping for 1. code and 2. data

for 1.(code):

use regedit to create/set DWORD value 'UseLargePages' = 1, for key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\arma3_x64.exe]

There is an option to create/set QWORD (64-bit) valute. Is this a better choice since we already have this arma3_x64.exe?

3 hours ago, nikiforos said:

There is an option to create/set QWORD (64-bit) valute. Is this a better choice since we already have this arma3_x64.exe?

this registry entry is defined as a 32-bit DWORD and this is where your OS is looking, but yet a funny idea :)