IndeedPete

[SP Campaign] M.E.R.C.S. - mercenary expendable ruthless covert selfish

Good evening!

I'm just doing a bit of late night editing and had another great Arma moment while I was working on an insertion scene. I just wanted to share that moment with you. This it what I call a "precision landing". ;)

Poor guy, didn't see it coming... - oh, and don't ask how often I had to repeat this damn unit capture flight until I've managed to land on the roof. xX

Greetings!

I've spent my afternoon fighting both the f*cking Steam Workshop as well as the buggy Publisher but I've made it: M.E.R.C.S. is now available on steam! *Awards himself a Purple Heart, a Medal of Honour and the Steam Workshop Survival Badge.*

With this news I'm going to publish a minor update adding some hints, changed texts and whatnot - but NO NEW CONTENT. Furthermore, I was forced to change the distribution from old-style Campaign.PBO to Addon. So, if you wish to apply this update please read the how to install instructions below! Apart from that, you will LOSE YOUR SAVEGAMES, I am sorry but the game doesn't recognise the old saves correctly. This update is more a testdrive for me to see how the Steam Workshop is performing and to acquire some new players from the Steam Community. As mentioned before, the Beta is scheduled to arrive somewhen in the beginning of Octobre. If you scream loud enough I might create another old-style Campaign.pbo version so you could keep your saves and would be able pick up where you left.

Enjoy! :)

Version: 0.55 ALPHA

Overview

M.E.R.C.S. is a story-driven singleplayer campaign for Arma 3, revolving around the exploits of a private military company on Altis. You assume the role of Raif Salih, a Sudanese refugee and ex-soldier, coerced into fighting alongside a mysterious, mercenary organisation. From a first person view, you will strive to escape a world of violence for private gain, where nothing but greed is sacred.

In achieving your mission objectives, you are afforded complete freedom – there are few boundaries and every decision you make entails a consequence. Through a dynamic economic system, you can purchase or sell equipment, hire new recruits, or accept contracts to gain rewards and further your own, unique narrative. On the way, you must engage and interact with an assortment of different characters, each desperate to exploit you for their own ends. Whether you embrace or betray these powers is up to you...

Raif's Story

Born in Karthoum, Sudan, Raif Salih became an orphan at the early age of two. Growing up as one of the poorest people in one of the poorest countries on this planet he basically had no other option than to join the military - the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF).

After years of internecine conflict in East Africa, Ethiopian forces led a major offensive against their neighbours. Raif’s friends fell before the onslaught and the SAF were deadlocked in a war they could not win, despite their successful defence of Khartoum at the centre of the country.

Raif understood that even if the Ethiopians relented, there would be nothing left of what he had once called home. Taking what little he had, he deserted the SAF, slipped through enemy lines, and travelled for weeks on foot through the East Sahara desert.

Eventually, Raif reached Alexandria in Egypt and secured safe passage to Greece, where he believed he could begin again. Now, his only hope is that ‘Nikos’, the man that brokered his European dream, is as trustworthy as he appears...

Global Background Story

• 2014 –Mounting violence in the Ukraine and violations of the nation’s sovereignty trigger what historians later called the ‘Second Cold War’ between Russia and the West.
  • 2014-2018 - Ongoing anti-Euro protests escalate and cause the collapse of the European Union.
  • 2015-2017 – First Altian War of Independence. Ended by the Greek military, which quickly suppressed separatists.
  • 2017 - The Islamic Republic of Iran, the People's Republic of China and other countries form the Canton-Protocol Strategic Alliance Treaty (CSAT) in Canton, China.
  • 2019-2026 – Second Altian War of Independence. Ended by EUROFORCE (est. 2023). Altis is now independent from Greece but remains part of the European Federation.
  • 2023 - Reunion of European states as European Federation (EF) in Munich, Germany. Establishment of a combined European military force (EUROFORCE).
  • 2024-2028 – Civil war in the Balkans, ended by EUROFORCE intervention. CSAT supported the Islamic movement with weapons, supplies and training.
  • 2031: CSAT forces initiate a devastating surprise-attack against the United States, already weakened by the economic crisis. Six atomic warheads followed by more than 500,000 troops bypass the defence shield and hit the American west coast. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle are inhabitable for years. European allies deny direct military help for fear of retaliatory nuclear strikes.
  • 2031-Present: Despite CSAT forces rapidly occupying the U.S., they were unable to hold the captured ground. Large parts of the American military, as well as ordinary citizens, went underground and formed a resistance. The EF manages to cut a deal with CSAT and brings in observers and financial and medical aid. Along with supply packages, weapons and ammunition for the resistance are smuggled into the country.
  • 2034: The European Federation recovers from its past and is on the verge of becoming a new superpower, alongside CSAT member states and the sealed-off Russian Federation. CSAT forces sweep throughout the whole of the Middle East, stopping short of seizing the Republic of Turkey. Both the European Federation and CSAT offer financial packages and membership, but also threaten Turkey with sanctions and embargoes.
  • 2035: The Republic of Turkey votes for CSAT membership. The European Federation declares trading embargoes and sanctions. CSAT forces launch joint, large-scale manoeuvres with Turkish forces in the Aegean Sea. Tensions grow daily until the non-aggression pact crumbles. EUROFORCE AA-Defences accidentally shoot down a CSAT reconnaissance jet above the island of Altis, Greece. CSAT General Reza, commander in chief of CSAT forces in the Aegean Sea, issues what was subsequently dubbed ‘an invasion on Altis’. EUROFORCE troops manage to push back the attacker but suffer heavy casualties. CSAT retreats stating that General Reza went rogue and issued the attack without official orders. They maintain that the non-aggression pact is still in force.
  • 2036: Third Altian War of Independence. Weakened by CSAT’s attack, EUROFORCE troops are not able to control the rioting population on Altis. Ultra-nationalists use the anger and poverty of the population to trigger an all out war between the Altis Armed Forces and EUROFORCE. European troops however, are ill-equipped and hastily retreat from the now independent Republic of Altis.
  • 2037: Ties between Altis and the EF slowly begin to stabilise but the country remains in a state of distress, as poverty, unemployment and corruption continue under the new Altian government. Failing to guarantee stability and safety, the AAF invite Private Military Contractors to deploy throughout the country.
    A new flashpoint is on the rise…

Features

• Story-Driven Single-Player Campaign
  • First / Third Person Cutscenes
  • Infantry / Light Vehicle / Aircraft Gameplay
  • Large Variety of Mission Types
  • Decisions have Vast Impact on Story / Current Mission
  • Small Side Stories within a Mission(-set)
  • Custom Conversation System
  • Custom Shop System
  • Custom Textures
  • Custom Hud Enhancements
  • Voice Acting (Optional, in the future.)

How to Install

ATTENTION: If you've already played M.E.R.C.S before version 0.55 ALPHA you need to REMOVE the "...\steam\steamApps\common\Arma 3\Campaigns\IP_CMP_MERCS.PBO" from your harddrive first!

EITHER download the non-steam version and copy the @MERCS folder to your Arma 3 dir ("...\steam\steamApps\common\Arma 3\") and launch it as addon with a launcher of your choice or start the game with the parameter "-mod=@MERCS".

OR subscribe to the steam workshop entry and launch it as addon with the BIS launcher.

Disclaimer

This is a project in the ALPHA state. Thus it may contain errors or lack certain features. The story as well as mission design are subject of change. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Changelog

0.55 Alpha - 14.09.2014

• FIXED: No-pants-bug leftovers.
  • FIXED: Checkpoint Charlie, FIA Car Pathfinding Bug.
  • FIXED: Buddy had wrong face.
  • FIXED: Some custom uniform textures were messed up after Arma 3 1.28.
  • CHANGED: Raised Shop prices drastically.
  • CHANGED: Switched form Campaign.PBO to Addon format.
  • ADDED: Advanced Shop System (Selling Items).
  • ADDED: Lots of minor textures, rank emblems, details, texts...
  • ADDED: Several hints to familiarise the player with M.E.R.C.S. specific systems.
  • ADDED: More ppEffects changing based on current weather.
  • ADDED: TacPad button to turn ppEffects on/off permanently.
  • ADDED: Steam Workshop distribution!

0.54 Alpha - 18.06.2014

• FIXED: HOTFIX, some uniforms were gone after patch 1.22 because BIS changed the addUniform command.
  • FIXED: Home Sweet Home, drove the devil out of the guy who was levitating under his car.
  • CHANGED: Rest and Recuperation, stuff stored in the car should be transfered to the hub box on mission completion.
  • ADDED: Custom promotion notifications.

0.53 Alpha - 10.06.2014

• FIXED: Glass System, should now work properly on all interface sizes and resolutions.
  • FIXED: Glass System, Detail now ignores animals.
  • FIXED: Glass System, task marker positioning fixed.
  • FIXED: Glass System, various minor issues.
  • FIXED: Some typos.
  • FIXED: Sauerland Express, mission wouldn't end in some cases.
  • CHANGED: Glass System, approximation of life sign monitoring improved.
  • CHANGED: Mission rewards now partly rely on rank.
  • ADDED: New ranks as sub-system of the custom factions.
  • ADDED: Several custom textures / ambient stuff.
  • ADDED: M.E.R.C.S. PP-Effect prototyped in all missions.
  • ADDED: Three new contract missions. Players from versions 0.51 and 0.52 should be able to continue / revert from the last hub save.
  • ADDED: Second ending implemented.
  • ADDED: Transit mission to second stage of the campaign implemented.
  • ADDED: Use of some assets from the Arma 3 Karts DLC. Shouldn't be an issue if I got BIS' new DLC policy right.

0.52 Alpha - 21.05.2014

• FIXED: Spawning team did not work.
  • FIXED: Description.ext error on campaigs loading.
  • FIXED: Some typos / spelling mistakes.
  • CHANGED: Set the conv system simple sentence box a bit higher. Hopefully this fixes the problem users with certain resolutions had.
  • CHANGED: New logo!
  • CHANGED: Helo pilot's sentences are now labeled with his name instead of "driver".
  • CHANGED: TacPad is now accessible via comm menu instead of action.
  • CHANGED: Raised some shop prices.
  • CHANGED: Home Sweet Home, decreased chance of getting the 4-five .45 on first visit.
  • CHANGED: Ransom Demand, more detailed helo guidance.
  • CHANGED: Ransom Demand, maximum distance between enemy car and player raised.
  • CHANGED: Very Important Pickup, cleared weapon and magazine cargo of AAF vehicles.
  • CHANGED: Very Important Pickup, some cars have lights on at night.
  • ADDED: Three new contract missions! Players who played v0.51 should be able to continue from the last hub mission.
  • ADDED: "Glass" - Optional advanced HUD system for the Tactical Glasses and Tactical Shades.
  • ADDED: Brave New World, choice added.

0.51 Alpha - 11.05.2014

• FIXED: Reverting to ealier missions is now possible and should not cause any errors.
  • FIXED: Very Important Pickup - Car change had no consequences.
  • FIXED: Minor spelling mistakes.
  • FIXED: Buddy had no NVGs on night missions.
  • CHANGED: Switched from Profile Namespace to Campaign Namespace for making crucial variables persistent. First mission will clean garbage from ealier version. Restart of the whole campaign required.
  • CHANGED: Licensing changed to APL-SA
  • CHANGED: Raif's Story
  • CHANGED: Cleared CfgFunctions of unused third party works.
  • CHANGED: Buddy won't run out of ammo for his primary weapon.
  • CHANGED: Minor changes to the shop and rest systems.
  • ADDED: TacPad, providing mission info and wait as well as extraction options.
  • ADDED: Very Important Pickup - Armed Patrols
  • ADDED: Most cutscenes and briefings can be skipped now by pressing Space.

0.5 Alpha - 04.05.2014

• Initial Release

Known Issues

• The use of DevBranch or mods may impact playability, especially AI driving skills are fundamental to make some missions work. I recommend to run this campaign in stable branch! (Tested with Arma 3 v1.18)
  • Developer console is enabled. In case you encounter a game breaker you can always execute ["Hub01", true, true] call IP_fnc_endMission; In a contract mission this is causing you to be transported back to the hub, with the problematic mission accomplished.
  • This project uses TPW civilians. Players using the addon version will face problems. Officially, this campaign does not support any mods.
  • Home Sweet Home: The ambient shooter at the range sometimes shoots the bystanders. This is caused by a messed up aiming AI which constantly drifts away from the assigned target.
  • Home Sweet Home: The gambler mentions BlackJack as possible gamble but it is not implemented yet.
  • Ransom Demand: The fleeing car might be crashing against something or the passengers disembark randomly and walk instead. I'm researching ways to rebuild this mission.
  • Checkpoint Charlie: The incoming cars sometimes crash into or stuck at the bar gate. If they can't continue they get deleted sometimes which breaks the mission flow.
  • Very Important Pickup: Performance might suffer under many ambient AI units.
  • Riot Control: Performance might suffer under many ambient AI units.
  • Panzerfaust: There's always one AI from the player's group stucking at the briefing desk. Sometimes he follows after a few regroup commands. In case he doesn't, step away from the table and type into the debug console: {_x setPos (getPos player)} forEach (units group player);
  • Panzerfaust: Other parts of the battle group go funny ways.
  • Glass System: Usage in an environment with lots of objects might affect performance. I recommend turning down the core functions first.

Development Roadmap - Scopes & Features

Alpha (RELEASED):

• 1 Intro Mission
  • 1 Hub Mission
  • 5 Contract Missions
  • 1 Ending

Beta:

• Campaign Completed
  • 1 Intro Mission
  • 2 Hub Missions
  • 15+ Contract Missions
  • 6+ Endings
  • Advanced Shop System (Vehicles & Camp Enhancements)

Gold:

• Voice Acting (OPTIONAL)
  • Mod Compability
  • Generic Side Missions

Contact

You can reach me on the BI-Forums: http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?53386-IndeedPete

Or feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/IndeedPete/

License

APL-SA.png

Content created by IndeedPete is published under the "Arma Public License Share Alike (APL-SA)". You are free to take or change anything you can use, just give me a mention in the credits.

All authors of third party content gave me permissions to use their works in the MANW Contest.

Credits & Thanks

• Bohemia Interactive Studios for this great game!
  • aeroson for his get/set loadout and repetitive clean up scripts!
  • cobra4v320 for his HALO/parachuting scripts!
  • Kydoimos for cross-reading and improving some of the dialogues and texts!
  • mrflay for his explosion detector!
  • Shuko for his SHKPos script!
  • Surfer for his help regarding the awesome M.E.R.C.S. logo and way too many textures and images!
  • tpw for his ambient civilian script package!
  • And all the great people on the BI-Forums who helped out with answers and feedback to so many questions!

Download

Dropbox v0.55 ALPHA

Steam Workshop v0.55 ALPHA

MANW Contest Page

Vote & Support

Edited by IndeedPete

mercs_banner_beta_newd6ftv.jpg

Good news, everyone!

I'm happy to report that development goes as planned (well, if I only had a plan). I've completed the rough body of the campaign and started work on the endings - four of eight are done at this point. For spoiler reasons I didn't post any shots yet. (Not sure if anybody cares for them anyway but hey, I can try!) When this is done, I want to give the whole thing one or two testruns on my machine to see if there's any gamebreaking stuff going on (most likely there will be something). ETA: 10-14 days from now. Since this will only be the Beta please don't expect everything to work properly. ;)

Post-Beta my major concern will obviously be fixing stuff you guys managed to break and optimise dialogues, balancing and stuff like that. Of course I can only do that if you guys are willing to help me out by testing and giving feedback here on the forums, on steam, via PM or postcard - I don't care, I truly appreciate any comment! Other than that I've changed my dev roadmap with the last update, if you'd like to add a point to the plans for Gold feel free to comment and I might be able to include it (I'll do a survey of mods you'd like to see supported later):

Alpha (RELEASED):

• 1 Intro Mission
  • 1 Hub Mission
  • 5 Contract Missions
  • 1 Ending

Beta (APPROACHING):

• Campaign Completed
  • 1 Intro Mission
  • 2 Hub Missions
  • 15+ Contract Missions
  • 6+ Endings

Gold:

• Mod Compability
  • Generic Side Missions

Of course I'll give detailed instructions on how you can use your old savegames if you have some. For balancing reasons I'd recommend a restart but I don't want to force you going through parts you didn't like again. See the Q&A outlined below, feel free to add another Q so I can have enough As on release. ;)

Q: How do I apply the update?

A: Depends on the version you've played before.

• pre-Alpha to 0.51 - Savegames from these versions are not supported any more. Please subscribe on steam or download the addon version or download the Campaign PBO version and restart the campaign.
  • 0.52 to 0.54 - Please download the Campaign PBO version.
  • 0.55 - Please stay subscribed on steam or download the addon version to keep your savegames.

Q: How can I keep my savegames?

A: See above. Savegames of the addon version are not recognised by the Campaign PBO version and vice versa, so you need to download the same format you had before.

Q: What's the difference between the addon version and the Campaign PBO?

A: The addon version comes as addon and needs to be treated as such, hence it must be activated through the (custom) launcher or shortcut (keyword "modfolder"). The Campaign PBO is an older format for campaigns and just needs to be placed in "Arma 3\Campaigns". They are completely identical in terms of gameplay and content. However, the steam workshop does not support Campaign PBOs. Furthermore, the two versions do not interfere with each other. (At least as far as I can see, please report issues once they occur.)

Q: Where do I continue the campaign?

A: Depends on where you stopped.

• On mission "Hereford Calling" - revert to this mission.
  • On another mission or one of the two already available endings ("Renegade" & "Hasta La Vista") - revert to your latest "Home Sweet Home" mission; when asked to stay or leave ION choose stay.

Stay tuned guys, looking forward to your feedback! ;)

Hey there, in the light of the upcoming Beta I'm obligated to annoy you guys with some advertising again! So, I'll keep it short and present you just captured footage of the first Beta mission "Cleanup". The quick playthrough shouldn't contain too many spoilers (at least not for the people who've already completed the Alpha). ;)

(Might take a while until Full HD is available.)

And don't forget to Vote & Support if you liked the Alpha!

mercs_banner_512_256kp5kcx.jpg

M.E.R.C.S. - Mercenary Expendable Ruthless Covert Selfish

It's done! BETA's here! *yay* :yay:

Tough piece of work but I hope you enjoy it! As this is still unfinished keep your eyes open for bugs! Thanks to everyone who tests, supports, likes, votes or shows his grandparents this project! Q&A on where to continue below, please Vote & Support if you like it!

Q: How do I apply the update?

A: Depends on the version you've played before.

• pre-Alpha to 0.51 - Savegames from these versions are not supported any more. Please subscribe on steam or download the addon version or download the Campaign PBO version and restart the campaign.
  • 0.52 to 0.54 - Please download the Campaign PBO version.
  • 0.55 - Please stay subscribed on steam or download the addon version to keep your savegames.

Q: How can I keep my savegames?

A: See above. Savegames of the addon version are not recognised by the Campaign PBO version and vice versa, so you need to download the same format you had before.

Q: What's the difference between the addon version and the Campaign PBO?

A: The addon version comes as addon and needs to be treated as such, hence it must be activated through the (custom) launcher or shortcut (keyword "modfolder"). The Campaign PBO is an older format for campaigns and just needs to be placed in "Arma 3\Campaigns". They are completely identical in terms of gameplay and content. However, the steam workshop does not support Campaign PBOs. Furthermore, the two versions do not interfere with each other. (At least as far as I can see, please report issues once they occur.)

Q: Where do I continue the campaign?

A: Depends on where you stopped.

• On mission "Hereford Calling" - revert to this mission.
  • On another mission or one of the two already available endings ("Renegade" & "Hasta La Vista") - revert to your latest "Home Sweet Home" mission; when asked to stay or leave ION choose stay.

Version: 0.9 BETA

Overview

M.E.R.C.S. is a story-driven singleplayer campaign for Arma 3, revolving around the exploits of a private military company on Altis. You assume the role of Raif Salih, a Sudanese refugee and ex-soldier, coerced into fighting alongside a mysterious, mercenary organisation. From a first person view, you will strive to escape a world of violence for private gain, where nothing but greed is sacred.

In achieving your mission objectives, you are afforded complete freedom – there are few boundaries and every decision you make entails a consequence. Through a dynamic economic system, you can purchase or sell equipment, hire new recruits, or accept contracts to gain rewards and further your own, unique narrative. On the way, you must engage and interact with an assortment of different characters, each desperate to exploit you for their own ends. Whether you embrace or betray these powers is up to you...

Raif's Story

Born in Karthoum, Sudan, Raif Salih became an orphan at the early age of two. Growing up as one of the poorest people in one of the poorest countries on this planet he basically had no other option than to join the military - the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF).

After years of internecine conflict in East Africa, Ethiopian forces led a major offensive against their neighbours. Raif’s friends fell before the onslaught and the SAF were deadlocked in a war they could not win, despite their successful defence of Khartoum at the centre of the country.

Raif understood that even if the Ethiopians relented, there would be nothing left of what he had once called home. Taking what little he had, he deserted the SAF, slipped through enemy lines, and travelled for weeks on foot through the East Sahara desert.

Eventually, Raif reached Alexandria in Egypt and secured safe passage to Greece, where he believed he could begin again. Now, his only hope is that ‘Nikos’, the man that brokered his European dream, is as trustworthy as he appears...

Global Background Story

• 2014 –Mounting violence in the Ukraine and violations of the nation’s sovereignty trigger what historians later called the ‘Second Cold War’ between Russia and the West.
  • 2014-2018 - Ongoing anti-Euro protests escalate and cause the collapse of the European Union.
  • 2015-2017 – First Altian War of Independence. Ended by the Greek military, which quickly suppressed separatists.
  • 2017 - The Islamic Republic of Iran, the People's Republic of China and other countries form the Canton-Protocol Strategic Alliance Treaty (CSAT) in Canton, China.
  • 2019-2026 – Second Altian War of Independence. Ended by EUROFORCE (est. 2023). Altis is now independent from Greece but remains part of the European Federation.
  • 2023 - Reunion of European states as European Federation (EF) in Munich, Germany. Establishment of a combined European military force (EUROFORCE).
  • 2024-2028 – Civil war in the Balkans, ended by EUROFORCE intervention. CSAT supported the Islamic movement with weapons, supplies and training.
  • 2031: CSAT forces initiate a devastating surprise-attack against the United States, already weakened by the economic crisis. Six atomic warheads followed by more than 500,000 troops bypass the defence shield and hit the American west coast. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle are inhabitable for years. European allies deny direct military help for fear of retaliatory nuclear strikes.
  • 2031-Present: Despite CSAT forces rapidly occupying the U.S., they were unable to hold the captured ground. Large parts of the American military, as well as ordinary citizens, went underground and formed a resistance. The EF manages to cut a deal with CSAT and brings in observers and financial and medical aid. Along with supply packages, weapons and ammunition for the resistance are smuggled into the country.
  • 2034: The European Federation recovers from its past and is on the verge of becoming a new superpower, alongside CSAT member states and the sealed-off Russian Federation. CSAT forces sweep throughout the whole of the Middle East, stopping short of seizing the Republic of Turkey. Both the European Federation and CSAT offer financial packages and membership, but also threaten Turkey with sanctions and embargoes.
  • 2035: The Republic of Turkey votes for CSAT membership. The European Federation declares trading embargoes and sanctions. CSAT forces launch joint, large-scale manoeuvres with Turkish forces in the Aegean Sea. Tensions grow daily until the non-aggression pact crumbles. EUROFORCE AA-Defences accidentally shoot down a CSAT reconnaissance jet above the island of Altis, Greece. CSAT General Reza, commander in chief of CSAT forces in the Aegean Sea, issues what was subsequently dubbed ‘an invasion on Altis’. EUROFORCE troops manage to push back the attacker but suffer heavy casualties. CSAT retreats stating that General Reza went rogue and issued the attack without official orders. They maintain that the non-aggression pact is still in force.
  • 2036: Third Altian War of Independence. Weakened by CSAT’s attack, EUROFORCE troops are not able to control the rioting population on Altis. Ultra-nationalists use the anger and poverty of the population to trigger an all out war between the Altis Armed Forces and EUROFORCE. European troops however, are ill-equipped and hastily retreat from the now independent Republic of Altis.
  • 2037: Ties between Altis and the EF slowly begin to stabilise but the country remains in a state of distress, as poverty, unemployment and corruption continue under the new Altian government. Failing to guarantee stability and safety, the AAF invite Private Military Contractors to deploy throughout the country.
    A new flashpoint is on the rise…

Features

• Story-Driven Single-Player Campaign
  • First / Third Person Cutscenes
  • Infantry / Light Vehicle / Aircraft Gameplay
  • Large Variety of Mission Types
  • Decisions have Vast Impact on Story / Current Mission
  • Small Side Stories within a Mission(-set)
  • Custom Conversation System
  • Custom Shop System
  • Custom Textures
  • Custom Hud Enhancements
  • 35 Missions In Total (Hubs / Connecting Missions Included)

How to Install

Non-Steam Campaign PBO Version: Copy the "IP_CMP_MERCS.pbo" to your Arma 3 dir ("...\steam\steamApps\common\Arma 3\").

Non-Steam Addon Version: Copy the @MERCS folder to your Arma 3 dir ("...\steam\steamApps\common\Arma 3\") and launch it as addon with a launcher of your choice or start the game with the parameter "-mod=@MERCS".

Steam Addon Version: Subscribe to the steam workshop entry and launch it as addon with the BIS launcher.

Disclaimer

This is a project in the BETA state. Thus it may contain errors or lack certain features. The story as well as mission design are subject of change. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Changelog

0.9 Beta - 01.10.2014

• ADDED: Advanced Shop System (Buying Vehicles and Camp Enhancements).
  • ADDED: Campaing finished! (Roughly)

0.55 Alpha - 14.09.2014

• FIXED: No-pants-bug leftovers.
  • FIXED: Checkpoint Charlie, FIA Car Pathfinding Bug.
  • FIXED: Buddy had wrong face.
  • FIXED: Some custom uniform textures were messed up after Arma 3 1.28.
  • CHANGED: Raised Shop prices drastically.
  • CHANGED: Switched form Campaign.PBO to Addon format.
  • ADDED: Advanced Shop System (Selling Items).
  • ADDED: Several hints to familiarise the player with M.E.R.C.S. specific systems.
  • ADDED: More ppEffects changing based on current weather.
  • ADDED: TacPad button to turn ppEffects on/off permanently.
  • ADDED: Steam Workshop distribution!

0.54 Alpha - 18.06.2014

• FIXED: HOTFIX, some uniforms were gone after patch 1.22 because BIS changed the addUniform command.
  • FIXED: Home Sweet Home, drove the devil out of the guy who was levitating under his car.
  • CHANGED: Rest and Recuperation, stuff stored in the car should be transfered to the hub box on mission completion.
  • ADDED: Custom promotion notifications.

0.53 Alpha - 10.06.2014

• FIXED: Glass System, should now work properly on all interface sizes and resolutions.
  • FIXED: Glass System, Detail now ignores animals.
  • FIXED: Glass System, task marker positioning fixed.
  • FIXED: Glass System, various minor issues.
  • FIXED: Some typos.
  • FIXED: Sauerland Express, mission wouldn't end in some cases.
  • CHANGED: Glass System, approximation of life sign monitoring improved.
  • CHANGED: Mission rewards now partly rely on rank.
  • ADDED: New ranks as sub-system of the custom factions.
  • ADDED: Several custom textures / ambient stuff.
  • ADDED: M.E.R.C.S. PP-Effect prototyped in all missions.
  • ADDED: Three new contract missions. Players from versions 0.51 and 0.52 should be able to continue / revert from the last hub save.
  • ADDED: Second ending implemented.
  • ADDED: Transit mission to second stage of the campaign implemented.
  • ADDED: Use of some assets from the Arma 3 Karts DLC. Shouldn't be an issue if I got BIS' new DLC policy right.

0.52 Alpha - 21.05.2014

• FIXED: Spawning team did not work.
  • FIXED: Description.ext error on campaigs loading.
  • FIXED: Some typos / spelling mistakes.
  • CHANGED: Set the conv system simple sentence box a bit higher. Hopefully this fixes the problem users with certain resolutions had.
  • CHANGED: New logo!
  • CHANGED: Helo pilot's sentences are now labeled with his name instead of "driver".
  • CHANGED: TacPad is now accessible via comm menu instead of action.
  • CHANGED: Raised some shop prices.
  • CHANGED: Home Sweet Home, decreased chance of getting the 4-five .45 on first visit.
  • CHANGED: Ransom Demand, more detailed helo guidance.
  • CHANGED: Ransom Demand, maximum distance between enemy car and player raised.
  • CHANGED: Very Important Pickup, cleared weapon and magazine cargo of AAF vehicles.
  • CHANGED: Very Important Pickup, some cars have lights on at night.
  • ADDED: Three new contract missions! Players who played v0.51 should be able to continue from the last hub mission.
  • ADDED: "Glass" - Optional advanced HUD system for the Tactical Glasses and Tactical Shades.
  • ADDED: Brave New World, choice added.

0.51 Alpha - 11.05.2014

• FIXED: Reverting to ealier missions is now possible and should not cause any errors.
  • FIXED: Very Important Pickup - Car change had no consequences.
  • FIXED: Minor spelling mistakes.
  • FIXED: Buddy had no NVGs on night missions.
  • CHANGED: Switched from Profile Namespace to Campaign Namespace for making crucial variables persistent. First mission will clean garbage from ealier version. Restart of the whole campaign required.
  • CHANGED: Licensing changed to APL-SA
  • CHANGED: Raif's Story
  • CHANGED: Cleared CfgFunctions of unused third party works.
  • CHANGED: Buddy won't run out of ammo for his primary weapon.
  • CHANGED: Minor changes to the shop and rest systems.
  • ADDED: TacPad, providing mission info and wait as well as extraction options.
  • ADDED: Very Important Pickup - Armed Patrols
  • ADDED: Most cutscenes and briefings can be skipped now by pressing Space.

0.5 Alpha - 04.05.2014

• Initial Release

Known Issues

• Developer console is enabled. In case you encounter a game breaker you can always execute [] call IP_fnc_cheatEndMission; It will automatically determine and load the next logical mission.
  • The use of DevBranch or mods may impact playability, especially AI driving skills are fundamental to make some missions work. I recommend to run this campaign in stable branch! (Tested with Arma 3 v1.18)
  • This project uses TPW civilians. Players using the addon version will face problems. Officially, this campaign does not support any mods.
  • Home Sweet Home: The ambient shooter at the range sometimes shoots the bystanders. This is caused by a messed up aiming AI which constantly drifts away from the assigned target.
  • Home Sweet Home: The gambler mentions BlackJack as possible gamble but it is not implemented yet.
  • Ransom Demand: The fleeing car might be crashing against something or the passengers disembark randomly and walk instead. I'm researching ways to rebuild this mission.
  • Checkpoint Charlie: The incoming cars sometimes crash into or stuck at the bar gate. If they can't continue they get deleted sometimes which breaks the mission flow.
  • Very Important Pickup: Performance might suffer under many ambient AI units.
  • Riot Control: Performance might suffer under many ambient AI units.
  • Panzerfaust: There's always one AI from the player's group stucking at the briefing desk. Sometimes he follows after a few regroup commands. In case he doesn't, step away from the table and type into the debug console: {_x setPos (getPos player)} forEach (units group player);
  • Panzerfaust: Other parts of the battle group go funny ways.
  • Glass System: Usage in an environment with lots of objects might affect performance. I recommend turning down the core functions first.

Alpha (RETIRED):

• 1 Intro Mission
  • 1 Hub Mission
  • 5 Contract Missions
  • 1 Ending

Beta (RELEASED):

• Campaign Completed
  • 1 Intro Mission
  • 3 Hub Missions
  • 22 Contract Missions
  • 8 Endings / 11 Variations

Gold:

• Mod Compability
  • Generic Side Missions

Contact

You can reach me on the BI-Forums: http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?53386-IndeedPete

Or feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/IndeedPete/

License

APL-SA.png

Content created by IndeedPete is published under the "Arma Public License Share Alike (APL-SA)". You are free to take or change anything you can use, just give me a mention in the credits.

All authors of third party content gave me permissions to use their works in the MANW Contest.

Credits & Thanks

• Bohemia Interactive Studios for this great game!
  • aeroson for his get/set loadout and repetitive clean up scripts!
  • cobra4v320 for his HALO/parachuting scripts!
  • Kydoimos for cross-reading and improving some of the dialogues and texts!
  • mrflay for his explosion detector!
  • Shuko for his SHKPos script!
  • Surfer for his help regarding the awesome M.E.R.C.S. logo and way too many textures and images!
  • tpw for his ambient civilian script package!
  • And all the great people on the BI-Forums who helped out with answers and feedback to so many questions!

Download

Addon Version

Dropbox v0.09 BETA

Steam Workshop v0.9 BETA

Campaign PBO Version

Dropbox v0.09 BETA

MANW Contest Page

Vote & Support

Thanks to Surfer & Kydoimos my character sheets arrived! So, enjoy some beackground info about Raif while the download is pending! :)

raifsalihd8y3w.jpg

In other news the Armaholic mirror has been updated as well! Thank you, guys!

Download

Campaign PBO Version

Armaholic v0.9 Beta

Ooof - I've just spent a good two hours fighting Microsoft Visio, GIMP, Word and other programs from hell to create a small flowchart for the few interested users. It shows the basic campaign flow behind M.E.R.C.S., how the missions are connected and what actions and conditions trigger which ending(-variant). It's more meant for people who've finished it at least once, liked it and wish to see all the other endings. Heads up, spoiler alert! ;)

mercsflowchartr7k53.jpg

Edited by IndeedPete

Just because it's that time of the day, enjoy some background info about your buddy! Thanks again to Surfer fo the design and Kydoimos for double-checking and improving the texts:

drazenz3dwf.jpg

Great to hear you're on the Beta! Whoop! Well done! :yay: Special dancing banana award!

At the very beginning of the mission "Very Important Pickup", I receive an error message "Cannot load texture campaigns\ip_cmp_mercs\txt\clothing_nohqmod.paa." (without quotation marks)

The version I am playing is the 0.9 Beta, download through steam workshop. This is the only bug I encounter so far. Btw, awesome campaign :)

Ah, darn! Seems I've missed another one of these damn text replacement bugs! But thanks for reporting and I'm glad you like it so far! ;)

Hi, it's me again.

In the mission "Protection Money", the same "Cannot load texture campaigns\ip_cmp_mercs\txt\clothing_nohqmod.paa." appears at the start.

In the mission "Riot Control", some protesters stand too close to fire and burned alive. :eek:

In the mission "Riot Control", some rebel fighters might be too scared of combat and stay far away from the objective. (I have to climb the mount and use long range scope search them)

The pistol carried on the player is always empty at the beginning of the mission (except "Home Sweet Home"), so the player will keep lose one pistol mag since the system automatically reload it.

Edited by Bodark0614

Hey, yeah the path not found error is the same like explained above. I will do my best to go through the files more thoroughly on the next update.

Yes, some civies are pretty dumb because the AI doesn't recognise fire as a danger. Then again it's a more or less violent protest so the crowd panics and people die.^^

Hm, the rebels are spawned on random positions and should be set to not flee at least. I'll see if I can position the spawn points a bit closer.

Yes, that is a bug that can occur if you fill your inventory up to the limit. I only have a wild guess here but I think it's the split second between the ammo getting added to the player and the weapons. Once a weapon is added the game automatically removes a free magazine to put into the weapon. However, the mags are being added en bloc means if the inventory is completely stuffed in this precise split second and some magazines can't be added and just disappear into the void. That's why you sometimes lose single magazines or grenades. My best strategy is to travel lightly, always taking an empty backpack for loot with me anyway.

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Good morning!

I think it's time for another character sheet - this time it's our beloved merc commander and boss Ian McMillian:

mcmillianaxoi3.jpg

Other than that, the first Beta update is approaching which should fix a few nasty bugs and add a some more details.

Splendid news, everybody!

Just uploaded the first BETA update. I hope it's working as intended and fixes at least some of the nasty path bugs user of the addon version experience. Please let me know if it's getting better.

Enjoy!

Changelog

0.91 Beta 07.10.2014

• FIXED: Glass System, using night / thermal vision scopes should not trigger the Glass night vision anymore.
  • FIXED: When inserting by armed car the gunner's place should now be occupied, provided the player took at least one teammate with him.
  • FIXED: Script errors due to missing support module both in Surfin' R.o.A. and Enforced Cooperation.
  • FIXED: Planes crashing on spawn in Badass One and Case Of Defence.
  • FIXED: "On Foot" insertion didn't work for Smash And Grab.
  • FIXED: Shop exploit, backpacks weren't removed on selling.
  • CHANGED: Diplomatic Incident, second camp should now be easier / faster to take.
  • CHANGED: Enforced Cooperation, it is now possible to operate undercover by wearing the Black Arrow Combat Uniform (BACU).
  • CHANGED: Turned down the "Glow" ppEffect a bit.
  • CHANGED: Meet And Greet, killing the contacts will now correctly result in cancelation of the task to talk to them.
  • ADDED: Hostage Down, avatar picture for hostage.
  • ADDED: Custom Laptop Textures
  • ADDED: Uncle Kostas, more details at the shooting range.
  • ADDED: Shop System, it's possible to buy or sell several magazines at once now.

Download

Addon Version

Dropbox v0.91 BETA

Steam Workshop v0.91 BETA

Campaign PBO Version

Dropbox v0.91 BETA

Hi,

Not sure if this bug was planed to fix in this patch, so I am just going to report it.

In the mission "Very Important Pickup", the error message "Cannot load texture campaigns\ip_cmp_mercs\txt\clothing_nohqmod.paa." still exist as of the v0.91 BETA

I restart the campaign after the update, so only three missions I have played so far.

Ah, seems like this darn notepad++ ignores rvmat files! Had to change it manually. There's no proper update this time but I've re-uploaded Dropbox and Steam addon versions. Please give me a shout if there's still trouble! Oh, and no need to restart the campaign. ;)

Time for another character sheet! This time with Nikos, the crooky smuggler and human trafficker:

nikosxbu3u.jpg

Great news! I was able to implement Toadie's SmallArms and Animations for Arma3 into the M.E.R.C.S. systems. Now, his content will be available for purchase in the shop and mercs and raiders will carry them (next to vanilla weapons). All that does only work when the mod is actually active and running, otherwise the player will just see the vanilla content. Which also means that the mod use stays completely optional! Expect them to be in the next update.

2014-10-09_00002ltx64.jpg

Future packs to include because of community feedback are:

• RH M4/M16 pack
  • (SMA) Specialist Military Arms

Feel free to add more to the list and I'll see what I can do. Oh, and it would be nice if the authors posted classnames and stuff easy to find; I really don't want to search my way through their configs to find the names for whitelisting them.

Hi,

Seems like the "Cannot load texture campaigns\ip_cmp_mercs\txt\clothing_nohqmod.paa." bug is unwilling to leave. :eek:

The issue still exists in both "Very Important Pickup" and "Protection Money" as of your re-uploaded v0.91 BETA.

I also encounter a rare bug in Checkpoint Charlie.

If the player stand right behind the bar gate and in the middle of the road, sometimes it will cause the first car hit the bar gate instead of stop.

The car will stuck there for a while, even if you raise the bar, and suddenly disappear, but the mission still thinks the car didn't pass, so the following event won't happen.

This error is really killing me! What a pain in the ass - I've checked the file in question, it's set up correctly! I'm going to take the whole thing apart tomorrow again, when I've had some sleep and then I will find and crush this freaking bug!

Checkpoint Charlie - Yes, that's one of the pleasures when dealing with driving AI. In 90% of the cases the driver manages to hold where he's supposed to. In the other 10% he seems to forget how to brake and just crashes into the bar gate - it's not really deterministic, it just happens randomly. Then he gets stuck and - thanks to the brilliant waypoint coding - his waypoint gets accomplished instantly, making him disappear. I've already observed this behaviour in different situations: An AI tank gets disabled but the crew is still alive - waypoint is magically gone and they refuse to move. AI squad loses vehicle - they never show up at the planned meeting point because the engine skipped their current waypoint and just assigned them the next one. Hence there's an autosave after every car.^^