Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

any news on weapon resting?

Well that's not on the table, so you're kind of out of luck, I guess.

Edit: I realize that may have sounded harsh. You should really read either BIS's announced DLC strategy or my complete post. BIS will continue to work on updating the game with new features which will be released for free alongside paid content packs containing things like new vehicles or weapons. That means that, if it is ever implemented, you will get weapon resting for free like everyone else. If BIS decides to add an M60 as part of a Machine Gunners DLC pack, you will have to pay for the M60 if you want to use it.

The idea is to use paid content-only DLC to finance the continued development of Arma's feature set. Thus, if you aren't interested in the content but you want to support BIS anyway, you can buy the DLC. If you aren't interested in the content and you aren't interested in whatever new features are being worked on or don't want to or can't afford to throw money at BIS then you can not buy the DLC and get the features anyway.

Either way, everyone gets whatever gameplay features or mechanics are added to the game for free.

Edited by roshnak

With the new (unrealistic high) fatigue and weaponsway this topic comes more actual then ever before.

BIS - please tell us what holds you back from adding a simple weaponrest feature?

With the new (unrealistic high) fatigue and weaponsway this topic comes more actual then ever before.

BIS - please tell us what holds you back from adding a simple weaponrest feature?

They are saving it for the marksman dlc :D

yeah they do, hope it comes fast, its becoming a bigger pain every update, wonder what will be broken with the next update or dlc, insted off getting fixed.

They are saving it for the marksman dlc :D

that is speculation, since there is no real information to confirm it (or deny it for that matter)

Get a gear in worth of 90 pounds...sprint maintaining almost 20 km/h " most humans sprint between 14 and 16" than tell me how much you ran...than try to do that over and over again several times after "resting" few seconds while crouching, and raising the rifle, and placing it down....if weapon sway in real life was something almost null and easy to control...snipers wouldn't shoot lying down, and everyone would be a marksman '-'

Get a gear in worth of 90 pounds...sprint maintaining almost 20 km/h " most humans sprint between 14 and 16" than tell me how much you ran...than try to do that over and over again several times after "resting" few seconds while crouching, and raising the rifle, and placing it down....if weapon sway in real life was something almost null and easy to control...snipers wouldn't shoot lying down, and everyone would be a marksman '-'

this is the Nth comment of this sort: I am only gonna comment on the sway, the fatigue is fine with me:

how about you grab a rifle and go to the range, by car. No plate carrier, no backpack, nothing but your street cloths and rifle and 2 mags. Now see if your aim (that is if you have fired a weapon before) is the same as in this game: lateral vs vertical, and so pronounced even when the fatigue isn't there.

Now see if you would ever fire from unsupported position for distanced over 100m...

and your sniper comment is again out of place, since even without bipods, snipers to support their weapons on things from their environments. Which is precisely the point of this thread: having the means to counter it: be it holding breath (obviously not really working) and/or supporting the weapon

this is the Nth comment of this sort: I am only gonna comment on the sway, the fatigue is fine with me:

how about you grab a rifle and go to the range, by car. No plate carrier, no backpack, nothing but your street cloths and rifle and 2 mags. Now see if your aim (that is if you have fired a weapon before) is the same as in this game: lateral vs vertical, and so pronounced even when the fatigue isn't there.

Now see if you would ever fire from unsupported position for distanced over 100m...

and your sniper comment is again out of place, since even without bipods, snipers to support their weapons on things from their environments. Which is precisely the point of this thread: having the means to counter it: be it holding breath (obviously not really working) and/or supporting the weapon

I'm sure Keegan will bash me for this... but i already do this each day i go to work, my comment remarking snipers, was saying if shooting unsupported was easy...snipers wouldn't shoot lying down, is not misplaced is a irony

Alright, a Pro Tip from the ANVIL Special Operations Command.

Learn to counter the sway as is meant to be handled. When you aim, watch the sway. Now, move your mouse against it, and notice it's easier to handle. Most importantly, holding your breath MATTERS. When you hold your breath, it counters the Up and Down sway which counts for Breathing. Ounce you get a hang of it, it'll be easier to handle most if not any guns you use. Don't forget to position your stance depending on the situation. If you feel you can't take a shot, and the conditions permit, don't. Wait it out until you feel you wont be putting yourself or your team mates at risk by possibly giving away your position with in accurate gunfire. Carry on.

DarkSideSix Out!

The new weapon sway is actually pretty realistic. Try running 400 meters with a flak vest, tactical vest, combat helmet, night vision goggles, all your magazines, grenades, your rifle, your sidearm, a camelback, and a ruck at full speed and see how we'll you aim. Not too well, huh? Also this update capitalizes on holding your breath and managing your fatigue. I say good job BIS. It's so much more fun and realistic to fire the weapons now.

HEADS UP: Check the dev branch build for today, see how the weapon sway has been adjusted:

All i can say is this, from 2013-03-05 over 2k of upvotes still no joy

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=432

And now they implemented the weapon sway widouth any proper thing to stop it unles you drop on the ground and hold there 30 sec until the sway is reduced to minimum,and when u shoot one bullet and there u go weapon flying,now i know somebody will get my post word by word and try to be rude and tell me to learn shooting etc. I am playing BIS games since arma 2 but i am reading that weapon rest is requested from the OFP era,

Yes we have bunch of mods for weapon resting but like someone mention it you need to download like 4-5 mods to be able to connect on diferent servers,it is crazy,

And let me go littlebit off topic here

This free update,Boot Camp etc. i saw this even in Arma 2,OA, and that was part of the game not free update,but now it is comming 1 year later in arma 3 like free update witch is crazy.

And to finish,me to would also like to hear atleast something from devs,some coments on the top requested features on feedback tracker.

Yeah, I'm still baffled as to how we've gone this long without official weapon resting - along with sidearms in the holsters, throwing grenades through windows/openings, and reload animations for the sniper rifles.

We agreed with the feedback that pointed out it seems unfair to introduce more punishing sway mechanics without offering players the ability to mitigate its effects through weapon stabilisation. It's fair to say (with the Marksmen DLC in mind) we are looking at the broad topic of weapon stabalisation, but we're not yet certain what aspects we're able to implement within the restrictions of our engine. It's therefore reasonable to make adjustments that work together with this.

Best,

RiE

RiE, did you ever try out ACE2 for ArmA2? If not, please do and check out the weaponrest there.

You can rest your gun on ground, walls, cars, everywhere, even on other players (kind of shoulder support)

Just implement it like this and im sure you will make most of us VERY happy.

Thanks for the tip! Yes, we've taken a look at a bunch of community solutions, but, so far, we'd prefer to avoid scripted solutions for core features. As we mention in previous reports, the animation system is itself being refactored under-the-hood, which should give us some more (or rather, better maintainable) gameplay options.

Development is ongoing in parallel, so while Helicopters DLC's RTD and Firing from Vehicles are the next 'big' features, progress is being made on our longer-term objectives, too.

Best,

RiE

We got some kind of official information about this topic :)

We got some kind of official information about this topic :)

That is hardly a confirmation. for some it might be, but i am certain BI will not do the same mistake they did prior A3, when they sort of announced some thinks, like java for example, without it making to release..unless they actually confirm it, it is just they desire to make it so. That doesn't mean it's gonna happen, not even close.

One thing I've thought about (briefly). They would have to do animations for bipods (Can't imagine them settling for less). And most weapons don't have bipods in RL. So (in the name of realism) I see only MGs and sniper rifles having bipods which leaves the rest unsupported. So the sway problem would still be very much alive.

Unless...there is a bipod as an attachment but that would mean lots of bipod animations for every gun. And wouldn't a bipod add even more sway when you are firing unsupported, because of added weight? Like standing up, bipod not leaning on anything.

One thing I've thought about (briefly). They would have to do animations for bipods (Can't imagine them settling for less). And most weapons don't have bipods in RL. So (in the name of realism) I see only MGs and sniper rifles having bipods which leaves the rest unsupported. So the sway problem would still be very much alive.

Unless...there is a bipod as an attachment but that would mean lots of bipod animations for every gun. And wouldn't a bipod add even more sway when you are firing unsupported, because of added weight? Like standing up, bipod not leaning on anything.

The requested feature is bipod and weapon resting. You don't necessarily need a bipod to be able to rest your weapon.

The requested feature is bipod and weapon resting. You don't necessarily need a bipod to be able to rest your weapon.

Exactly. It woud be great to rest weapons in window ledges, vehicles, rocks, etc. Like ACE, TMR and other mods allow...

Exactly. It woud be great to rest weapons in window ledges, vehicles, rocks, etc. Like ACE, TMR and other mods allow...

That would finally solve the absurd situations where dolphin diving assaulters are at an accuracy advantage over kneeling defenders in guard towers and other defensive positions that require upper stances. +1.

This feature is needed asap to combat the sway and fatigue.

The sway and fatigue is perfect btw nothing wrong with it the only problem is no way to counter it without resting.

This feature is needed asap to combat the sway and fatigue.

The sway and fatigue is perfect btw nothing wrong with it the only problem is no way to counter it without resting.

I see people constantly state this and yet I continue to encounter ridiculous fatigue and weapon sway. I don't know about anyone else but singleplayer the weapon sway and fatigue is annoying yet manageable, multiplayer on the other hand is blooody ridiculous. Bouncing from server to server with extensive testing goes to show that the fatigue and weapon sway on server is vastly increased compared to that of singleplayer. Hell, I've had people complain that certain servers are worse than others even though they're running on the same machine with the exact same mission.

Something is definitely not right with the sway and fatigue not to mention that the hold breath button likes to completely break and do absolutely nothing on most servers. That being said singleplayer wise the fatigue/sway is still annoying. I honestly don't see why it shouldn't become a configurable setting allowing people to alter it but I digress.

Bracing/resting is definitely needed and ASAP though.

VTS_Weapon Rest works brilliantly!!!

Why can't BIS do something similar or even buy that mod and make it standard!?!?!

BIS has made a unique and ground breaking game series but unfortunately its clear that they don't have the programming capability to fulfill its potential.

VTS_Weapon Rest works brilliantly!!!

Why can't BIS do something similar or even buy that mod and make it standard!?!?!

Scripted, therefore verboten.