soulis6

Zeus and Mines

Not sure if this is intentional or not, but as far as I can figure out right now, any mines placed by Zeus immediately become known to the players, which makes them pretty much useless if you're trying to keep them hidden from the players for whatever reason.

Anyone know if this is true for sure, or if there's something i'm missing here? I could understand if this was intentional in ZvP or Zeus Sector Control, but this doesn't make any sense for the unlimited GM-mode Zeus.

Placed mines are automatically displayed as a minefield, charges and satchels are shown as those triangles and IED's are completely invisible. I think they should all be invisible unless ZEUS places a 'minefield' Module or the players use a Mine Detector, it would make more sense.

Nevermind! You can ignore the original post, just realized that it was only because i was placing them down as zeus, and then switching to a player spot to test them, but it works fine against actual players. Like you said, it makes a minefield on the map, but doesn't reveal themselves to players like I first thought they did.

It would be nice if the minefields on the map could be toggle-able whether to show it to players or not, but it still works fine.

Zeus placed mines are automatically revealed to the side he's on. If you're a BLUFOR soldier, open Zeus interface and place some mines, all BLUFOR players will see them. If you play as an virtual entity (like in ZGM missions), nobody will se your mines right away.

Thanks for the reply, will have to test this. I didn't realize if you did ZGM (side instead of master) he still counts as being on that side

Either i'm doing something wrong or this isn't working correctly. I'm playing a ZGM (as a virtual entity, the one who can spawn all units, not part of a faction), and my Bluefor players are able to see any mines I put down on the map.

Is this intended? It goes a bit counter to the 'Zeus as a GM' idea if so, but I just want to make sure i'm not screwing something up.

Either i'm doing something wrong or this isn't working correctly. I'm playing a ZGM (as a virtual entity, the one who can spawn all units, not part of a faction), and my Bluefor players are able to see any mines I put down on the map.

Is this intended? It goes a bit counter to the 'Zeus as a GM' idea if so, but I just want to make sure i'm not screwing something up.

No, you're right. The players see a minefield marker no matter which side you're on or what kind of a curator you control. That's really bothering me and I'd really appreciate a way to disable this - effectively working as a GM is impossible as long as this is the case.

Why are you trying to use land mines? They are banned by the Geneva Conventions

:D

Geneva convention or not, I'd love for my insurgents to be able to use regular mines along with IEDs that are given, and not having them show up on the map.

Don't know if anyone is still following this, but ACE 3 mod fixes this in their Zeus module, it removes the minefield marker when you place down mines as Zeus. 

Very nice!

I made a very simple script long ago to remove these markers and it requries no mods.

while{true} do
{
    {
        _prefix = [_x,0,16] call BIS_fnc_trimString;
        if(_prefix == "bis_fnc_drawminef") then
        {
            deleteMarker _x;
        };
        //hint format ["marker prefix:%1",_prefix];
    } foreach allMapMarkers;
    sleep 1;
};

simply put at bottom of init.sqf or in its own file then execute from init.sqf and it will remove all mine markers that zeus makes.

Kind of seems like a pretty big over site that zeus mines will always be displayed. Oh well thankfully there are people who create work arounds like Austin.