Sign in to follow this  
katipo66

Doom 3 like games without hordes

I have only played the very first Doom from last century (feels great saying that) and loved it (then)! So couldn't resist picking up a boxed copy of doom 3 for $4 at the market.

I get home load her up, install the 2 big texture and lighting mods, forget the names.. Monoeaxed and wulferm? Something like that and the game looks awesome! So im having a great ole time until the AI turns nasty down in the communication room, honestly 5 mins of that made me hate the game, yes I realize it's from 2004 :)

I did find a No AI mod which stopped most of them attacking and I'm kinda happy enough wondering around checking things out.

Soooo my question is, can anyone recommend a game that has similar atmosphere, preferably in the dark with torch :D that does not involve killing 30,000 bots on each level, i dont mind how old the game is really and I actually don't mind being in tight corridors and really like the Doom 3 layout and atmosphere, just game play is lacking.

Edited by Katipo66

The original F.E.A.R is good, the enemies aren't overwhelming and the levels and sound are designed to make them appear smarter then they actually are.

Lot's of jump out of your seat scares, unlike the second and third installments which were complete crap.

definitely a game you play late at night with the lights out.

The original F.E.A.R is good, the enemies aren't overwhelming and the levels and sound are designed to make them appear smarter then they actually are.

Lot's of jump out of your seat scares, unlike the second and third installments which were complete crap.

definitely a game you play late at night with the lights out.

Yeah i always have heard off but never bothered with it... but only $9 on steam how can i go wrong!

Also its modded which is always a bonus, ill do the whole read reviews and watch game footage routine but that might be what im after, cheers man :)

Yeah i always have heard off but never bothered with it... but only $9 on steam how can i go wrong!

Also its modded which is always a bonus, ill do the whole read reviews and watch game footage routine but that might be what im after, cheers man :)

Careful what you watch, it's a game built around getting the shit scared out of you so it would ruin it if you see too many spoilers.

It's worth every penny for the original, don't bother with 2 and 3.

I just brought it anyway :D we'll see see how this goes!

cry of fear is a mod for Half-Life 1, it is the most scariest game i ever played(free on steam or moddb)

If exploration od amazing places is your thing then Skyrim might fit, beautiful game environment. If you don't follow the main storyline you won't get plagued by dragons either, but can still follow sidequests etc. Plus a selection from a ton of mods can probably turn it even more to your liking.

Other than that, probably Fallout 3 sounds ideal for you.

Penumbra/Amnesia series

I think i really like the look of these, cheers gonna try em out, they remind me of Myst in the puzzle solving aspect.

cry of fear is a mod for Half-Life 1, it is the most scariest game i ever played(free on steam or moddb)

Too many zombie monster hordes left mouse button mashing :P

If exploration od amazing places is your thing then Skyrim might fit, beautiful game environment. If you don't follow the main storyline you won't get plagued by dragons either, but can still follow sidequests etc. Plus a selection from a ton of mods can probably turn it even more to your liking.

Other than that, probably Fallout 3 sounds ideal for you.

Skyrim looks awesome but i might hold of a bit, something to look forward to later down the track when price comes down, i have played Fallout 3, great game although it became kinda monotonous towards the end with the world textures and gameplay somewhat, and i took it personally when i realized i lost my dog for the rest of the game!! amazing how that mechanic worked.

Anyway currently running through FEAR and to be honest im not really rating it so far, at least the gunplay aspect, too spoiled with Arma, it feels great to play a bit of Arma after this game.. anyway im up to the part where the girl starts appearing which weirds me out a bit so gonna power through it, hopefully the storyline fear factor picks up :)

Oh yeah i also got System Shock 2 again :bounce3: - she looks really dated but i love the game play elements, i could never get past the first initial stages but gonna try and stick with it this time.

Cheers!

Edited by Katipo66

Oh yeah i also got System Shock 2 again - she looks really dated but i love the game play elements, i could never get past the first initial stages but gonna try and stick with it this time.

If memory serves, there's a mod out there that makes the models a lot easier on the eyes, but hell, you could do a lot worse than SS2. Absolute classic.

If memory serves, there's a mod out there that makes the models a lot easier on the eyes, but hell, you could do a lot worse than SS2. Absolute classic.

Yep that would be the SHTUP mod, just got that now along with a few other goodies, one thing thats great is im in game in literally seconds of clicking the Icon :D

im up to the part where the girl starts appearing which weirds me out a bit so gonna power through it, hopefully the storyline fear factor picks up :)

Cheers!

Trust me, it will.

She won't touch you, she doesn't need to.

Keep any drinks you having a safe distance away from your keyboard and mouse.

Trust me, it will.

She won't touch you, she doesn't need to.

Keep any drinks you having a safe distance away from your keyboard and mouse.

Yes Im starting to get that feeling, also I'm actually having a bit of a blast with the fighting, watching them dive through windows and limp away etc is quite a bit of fun.

Yes Im starting to get that feeling, also I'm actually having a bit of a blast with the fighting, watching them dive through windows and limp away etc is quite a bit of fun.

The spike gun is the best. It won't win the level but it's funny as hell nailing enemies to the wall in bizarre positions.

If are going to play amnesia/penumbra series, start with Amnesia the Dark Descent, since it's the most known of the four of the series.

Too late man, I already started with Penumbra, I'm liking it though, reminds me of Myst but in a 3d world...