Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

The new version works alright! I´ve got to hitchhike and take vehicles... and in a twist of pure luck, found the body and escaped with the late brother! Outstanding mission, Rydygier =)

:)

@Kommiekat

1. It is shown only occasionally, when you hitchhiking or selling loot. As I'm trying to avoid custom GUI elements, didn't find yet good enough way to display it constantly. Only silent hint, but this seems to me too makeshift somehow or additional action, but I hesitate to make mess with many custom actions. Still, if this info shown/available constantly is important, I can add that easily.

2. Fast travel is shortly described in diary under "fuel fund" entry. Be on road, then action appear. Use it. Map will show up, choose position within range defined by your ffu amount (dark circle), that is on land and close to road (logically - hitch-hiking is possible along roads only). Action will stay invisible, if you know about some near enemy or some enemy knows about you.

3. Intentional. Most weapons in the boxes is without the ammo. Magazines must be found separatelly. When you have vehicle is possible to hold in the trunk weapon for each kind of ammo, otherwise I would recommend rely more on weaponry get from killed enemies, loot is very random and capricious.

4. That would be phone calls. Nothing to do, just read sidechat (or ignore). It is passive feature - your avatar, Alex will decide on his own, when to answer, continue conversation, hold it or break (if in combat, see enemy or enemy see him).

5. No readme. All info is in the first post and in-game, in form of diary entries.

Edited by Rydygier

Rydygier: I like the hitch hiker system very much: exactly what I felt missing when first played.

IMHO it is enough to show ffu when travelling, and when selling stuff. You should have better things to do otherwise if you used it well. :)

Only issue: sometimes hitchhike puts me away from roads, which is a minor immersion breaker as "how the hell did I get here and why here?".

Only issue: sometimes hitchhike puts me away from roads, which is a minor immersion breaker as "how the hell did I get here and why here?".

Yes, if player hasn't assigned vehicle, code looks for safepos near target point rather than put player on the closest road segment, like it is, if vehicle is present. Why? I tried to avoid rare situation, where player appears on the road just ahead of coming up car (eg from TPW's ambient traffic). I can change that.

Yeah, okay, I can understand that. It is very minor issue: I thought you start and end hitch-hiking on road. But current method is as good as finishing on road. I just didn't know for a moment where I was and how did I get there, thats all. Probably I just ended up on a place, where closest safepos was like a hundred or more meters from a road. It was good experience in the end: without showing playerPos on the map it was tricky but I found my way after all.

Just had a little go at Pilgrimage Ryd and it looks good indeed. I did find one strange thing (playing on DEV version here btw cos of Zeus !) in that the OPFOR winged UAV (Kabadil ?) was hovering instead of flying around. It looked very wierd it flying backwards.

Played on stable branch, first version of the mission. Never seen the UAVs flying, but I've spotted a few crashes. First time was pretty eerie. See black smoke on the horizon, go over cautiously to investigate and see a crashed UAV in the water near the shoreline. Only at first it wasn't recognisable, as it was standing up-ended, and from a distance looked like a burning cross. I thought "This must be part of the mission, I'm going to get shot any second now." ...and then relief when I saw what it was.

Unless I missed something, there shouldn't be any UAVs in 1.21, so no more such strange events I hope.

Mission upgraded to 1.3. Changelog:

- added rare short-term opportunities to buy on ADM approx. locations of randomly chosen empty vehicles or enemy presence;

- 3000 ffu at start;

- chance for additional enemy garrisons at marked hills;

- fixed lately introduced issue: chance for blufor groups as "enemy" population;

- various improvements, tweaks and fixes.

About new ADM feature: this should be some help for finding vehicles and enemies, but as it is random, and player begins in the area, where enemy/vehs/anything but nature and slopes density is lower, than in other parts of the island, is more probable, that at beginning you get some distant positions. Still better that, than nothing. Of course sidechat offer notification may be ignored - buying actions will disappear after a minute. Also enhanced with info about this "fuel fund" diary entry. Generously added +500 ffu to give a bit more sources to spend at start. It is designed to appear rarely, rather not more often, than 3-4 times per hour, if it is more/less often - let me know, please.

Edited by Rydygier

Has the safe option been removed? I could save in the first version, but the last two updates the save option is blanked out. Unlimited saves is enabled in Game Difficulty.

I did nothing at all with saves earlier and now. Yet someone else also had this problem with first or second version... Do not know, what to think about this. I can save all the time, but eg for me in first version pressing "configure" button had no effect - was forced to leave mission and change settings in main menu.

I did nothing at all with saves earlier and now. Yet someone else also had this problem with first or second version... Do not know, what to think about this. I can save all the time, but eg for me in first version pressing "configure" button had no effect - was forced to leave mission and change settings in main menu.

I found the problem, the ALiVE mod was causing it.

I found the problem, the ALiVE mod was causing it.

Thats kinda odd.

I had the impression none of ALiVE's features could work/initialize without placing "proper" modules on map.

I need any confirmation possible about this tho..

Hi, in latest update, no longer getting symbols over homes for caches.

Also, checked out one chapel so far and no message telling me "brother is not here".

Playing DEV branch, btw.

Hm. Played 1.3 yesterday and I had symbols and messages... Are you certain? I mean, each play loot is located randomly, and not always is pesent in the same hause, as before, also are no longer displayed after "house is checked" hint. Lack of "no brother" message may indicate, that you found the place, just body must be located near... Anyway, I changed nothing with both features for 1.3. Anyone on stable branch can confirm lack of presence of both things?

Edited by Rydygier

I'm playing stable branch, 1.3. Symbols and church messages still working for me. If the body is there I think there's a blue circle on the map, the body might be a few metres away from the building if it's a small church.

Yes

PLaying Stable/1.3

I haven't got to the point of find the body but..Houses with content appear with marker+churches spawn message/Veteran diff

Thats kinda odd.

I had the impression none of ALiVE's features could work/initialize without placing "proper" modules on map.

I need any confirmation possible about this tho..

You're right, Zaitoichi probably loaded Alive unintentionally.

Looking forward to play this.

@ tortuosit

Sorry friend.Looks like my *poor use of English language gave wrong impression.

What i really meant was "Even if he's running ALiVE along-i think it doesn't have to do with the problem-because

ALiVE needs editor placed modules (and maybe synched) prior to work.

(i hope that gives better point :) )

Although..

1) I m getting myself non-existing item-icons on crates..and in-ability to wear them (when gets to clothing)

2) I found NVG googles (also without icon) and without ability to drag-drop them in my inv. slot..i used "Take NVG" action.

After this they got auto-equipped on Binoculars slot (again without visible icon)

3) The price of some ammo maybe it's kinda off?

Selling half a dozen 200rnd 6.5/7.62 it gets my 20k-30k credits.

===========

I have to confess tho..i m also using an addon pack consisted by:

CBA

Tier1_Silencer Fix

VTS_weapon_resting

JSRS

Blastcore+Blastcore Tracers

bcombat

ASR_AI3

BaBe_midTex

Moduload 0.5.2

^^ Giorgy, be carfeul with bCombat and ASR_AI3 as I found some inconsistencies (like enemy troops standing next to each other not firing after some time)

1 and 2 - yeah config holds some strange/bugged stuff, and till now didn't find a way to filter them out without removing also useful things. It is small issue though, all can be sold.

EDIT: or... Seems, that in Arma's config "items" are stored under cfgWeapons, so code takes them as weaponry and adds to the boxes via addWeaponCargo instead addItemCargo, thus invalid objects are created. Must check it...

3 - yeah again, prices are calculated basing on some config values, and that makes some ammo too valuable. I must find a way to tweak this.

BTW. Added to the first post hidden under "spoiler" a few tricks that can make gameplay a bit easier for those, who do not want to figure such things on their own. For the next version (not sure, when) there is plan for adding also dynamically located checkpoints. I'm also thinking if would be possible to introduce in any reasonable way some minefields and/or kind of "secops".

Edited by Rydygier

@Kremator:

'lo Kremator mate :) ..until now i haven't encountered any-noticeable invalid behavior from AI.

The only "invalid" was i had choose Veteran diff. with only 1 save..and eventually i became careless..and as a result

i have a 5.56 between my eyes. (with a cache of 130k credits)

Thanks tho...i 'll watch as-close-as-i-can the AI behavior

@Ryd:

Organized/Random checkpoints :)

That's the spirit mate!

Thanks again for your effort

:) Most new features was/will be introduced thanks to players' feedback/ideas/requests. I'm collecting feedback also on Armaholic and Workshop. Secops are highly doubtful though, just do not see, what exactly ops could be reasonably added to such plot. Checkpoints are wip already. Not sure, how good these will be, but will be.

or... Seems, that in Arma's config "items" are stored under cfgWeapons, so code takes them as weaponry and adds to the boxes via addWeaponCargo instead addItemCargo, thus invalid objects are created. Must check it...

Yep! That's the case. Now need to find, if any, common discriminant amongst items' config entries, that distinguish them from rest of cfgWeapons classes, and we will be able to wear all those hats, bandanas etc...

@Ryd:

In my opinion you dont have to mix apples with tomatoes.

SecOps may/will find their place in other scenario that needs 'filling'..or fits best.

Checkpoints tho...There MUST be checkpoints..and probably so well defended that player must think twice before make "any" foolish move.

*added*

Hmmm..lemme think..

a) In this scenario fits really nice the "random" (or no) temporary camp placement (tents/fires) of military remnants.

with relaxed soldiers(sitting by the fire etc) /relaxed patrols/relaxed guards :P

b) The weather settings make me want to throw the weapon/screw my brother and go for swimming :)

In a such "dark" scenario..a "moody" weather fits best i really believe (..and liiiiiiittle standard fog ) :)

Edited by GiorgyGR

Yes, I think same about secops, it was just another request - I'm considering all with any sense, but that doesn't mean, I'll implement everything, people wanted. Same guy wanted nearly constant fight, and this I even didn't considered.

a) indeed. I just start to think, if despite caching there will be not too much AI groups. All, what we have + checkpoints + camps... I'll see, I can spawn a dozen or so such places across forests...

b) Isn't this a typical weather in Greece? :) I like sunny weather with some clouds, as this makes sky and land prettier, more pleasant for eyes and juicy - thanks to the shadows and shades. Like in photography. Without sun all becomes "flat" and monotonous. Plus, I do not like much, how currently sky looks at heavy weather in A3. I know decorum, but I also do not hesitate to break it if gained profits are worthy of that. I can try, as I like "moody" things more, than pastel idyll, but if I will not like result, I'll stay with current weather.

Edited by Rydygier

Cool scenario idea, it will take a while to play for sure but I'll keep chugging away now and then - it's definitely exudes an air of it's own. Well done, keep up the good job!

Edit: Oops, my saved game got flunked (when I tried resume I got thrown back to the main menu), probably b/c being in dev branch. Better wait to play this til I decide to stay on stable for a while.

Edited by tvamvarg