Toadie's SmallArms and Animations for Arma3

Scenarios where my group has used your SMGs:

- Helicopter pilots/Vehicle crewmen

- Police operations

- Spooks (CIA/MI6/DGSE)

- PMC light security details

- gangsters

- Russian Paratroopers (well, the AKSU)

- Old style SF (the flip-flop wearing MP-5/10-toting Navy Seal Squad of Doom)

Having some SMGs that really pack a punch (thinking UMP-45/MP-7) would be really neat in all of these contexts. Very often on our server the SMGs will be used to give players the ability to just defend themselves for a limited amount of time, but in the field of "getting close and personnal and kick a lot of asses", only the MP-5/10 and the AKSU really qualify against most foes, and a rifle-caliber carbine is often very effective at up to 300m, which defeat the close combat purpose.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. I don't have any plans drawn up for an UMP in the immediate future, but IMO the MP5/10 is a perfectly worthy stand-in for it (even if the real world worked vice-versa on that one)

one small question, is the mp5 defined as a smg or assualt rifle in this mod? I ask becuase when i use _Wep = [_primweapon] call BIS_fnc_itemType; it sometimes seems to come back as AssaultRifle but should rather be submachinegun.

I wasn't even aware there was an SMG itemtype definition, so they're most probably defined as rifles. I'll look into changing that when I get a chance.

Toadie does have a G36 on his work list. It is #74 on there.

ACtually, factoring in the round of votes coming in from Patreon, the G36 actually sits at #4 spot right after the ACR and SIG 550s by a substantial margin, but I guess the short answer is still Yes to the G36.

An educated guess, based upon 20 years as an 18B and from my own deployments in Afghanistan, co-located with with elements of KSK, I would bet that the Bundeswehr will probably move to the HK416 series for general issue. The 416 series weapons are already type-classified by the German Defense ministry, are already available for issue, and would keep HK (a national industry) from going through another painful series of financial problems. And it is a good weapon, of excellent quality, though in an 'apples-to-apples' comparison, just a tad heavier than the M4.

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with ARMA 3, the game, of course. I'm just saying that, if I were contemplating a future German forces mod/conversion, for the sake of future realism ( reflecting an accurate simulation of German forces) I would take it into consideration.

I absolutely wouldn't doubt the BW switching to 416s. I personally am not a fan of them, and a Norwegian boot I know isn't exactly enamoured with it's performance under winter conditions(apparently not an uncommon gripe with it), but hey, it's basically an AR18 in AR15-form factor, so it can't be all bad I guess. At least it doesn't suck as much running suppressed, AND it's not just a parts-kit upper.

oh please stop the g36 is crap and it will be replaced sh*t:

last message regarding the G36 issues was that it was no problem of the g36 at all. it was a ammunition problem. that was already pointed out in 21. Februar 2014 by the bundeswehr.

the problem was the tin jacket used. if the thickness of the tin jacket changes only a bit the flight path of the bullet isn´t consistent anymore.

even if it is a problem with the gun or its barrel it makes more sense to just change the part and not the whole rifle

In any case this isn't really the place to have this discussion. A lot of the issues that the G36 series has simply just aren't applicable to it's ingame represenation.

Now to rosier news, I did a.. well I guess it's a developer blog about the last month of progress on the SAWs. You can read all about it Over here if you're curious.

The Tee Elle Dee Are is that I'm looking to have the release and all the sources , all good and public 10 days from now.

Relatedly: Strangely, I really like the idea of doing imgur galleries with looping gifs instead of youtube videos. http://imgur.com/a/5X42m#0

Edited by toadie2k

The G3 works fine for me. Latest HLC guns, core and CBA.

Really weird.. i reinstalled all the mods and i still have this problem. Reinstalled ASDG Joint Rails, CBA with latest hotfix, HLC Core, HLC G3.. i also have the HLC MP5 and this one has no problems.. How can i debug this to find out, whats the cause? All of my mates have the same problem#

#edit: found the cause of the problem: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26488

with the latest update, the g3 wont work anymore (rail version)

Edited by tebsuuu

Really weird.. i reinstalled all the mods and i still have this problem. Reinstalled ASDG Joint Rails, CBA with latest hotfix, HLC Core, HLC G3.. i also have the HLC MP5 and this one has no problems.. How can i debug this to find out, whats the cause? All of my mates have the same problem#

#edit: found the cause of the problem: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26488

with the latest update, the g3 wont work anymore (rail version)

It's great that you found the problem, I was going to suggest seeing if another mod was the source of the issue.

with the 3x eotech and magnifier can you use the magnifier for longer range then switch to the just the rds for CQC? if you can i cant figure out what button it is or do you have to use a custom key?

with the 3x eotech and magnifier can you use the magnifier for longer range then switch to the just the rds for CQC? if you can i cant figure out what button it is or do you have to use a custom key?

I don't think that's an HLC function, but it sounds like you're using either Robert Hammer's accessories or SMA's optics pack. Either way with MRT accessory functions and the latest CBA you'll want to go into Arma, then go to your options >controls and at the bottom there is configure addons. Use the drop down box to find MRT accessory functions and change the "next optics state" to whatever hotkey you want. Should work then.

@Toadie

As part of my A3 - Nogovan Armed Forces addon i have been using your G3s as the standard rifle of the infantry. I have set some pre-set up weapons with scopes etc in the .cpp of my unit .cpp and found when i use the following code in the cfgweapons section:

//g4 rifle and folding stock 
	class hlc_rifle_g3ka4_HAMR: hlc_rifle_g3ka4 
	{
	class LinkedItems 
	{
		class LinkedItemsOptic {
			item = "optic_Hamr";
			slot = "CowsSlot";
		};
		class LinkedItemsAcc {
			item = "acc_pointer_IR";
			slot = "PointerSlot";
		};
	};
};

That when i try to view the weapon in the gear menu i get the follow error: "Picture \hlc_wp_g3\tex\ui\gear_g3ka4_st_ca" i assume this maybe because of the DLC Update and as yet you haven't released an update. No rush on the update :)

@Toadie

As part of my A3 - Nogovan Armed Forces addon i have been using your G3s as the standard rifle of the infantry. I have set some pre-set up weapons with scopes etc in the .cpp of my unit .cpp and found when i use the following code in the cfgweapons section:

{
	class LinkedItems 
	{
		class LinkedItemsOptic {
			item = "optic_Hamr";
			slot = "CowsSlot";
		};
		class LinkedItemsAcc {
			item = "acc_pointer_IR";
			slot = "PointerSlot";
		};
	};
};

That when i try to view the weapon in the gear menu i get the follow error: "Picture \hlc_wp_g3\tex\ui\gear_g3ka4_st_ca" i assume this maybe because of the DLC Update and as yet you haven't released an update. No rush on the update :)

It isn't because of the DLC update itself, but I know what's causing it (.paa moved apparently, no idea when/how that happened/why I hadn't had it flag an error for me). Safe to say I've fixed it. When the minimis roll out I'll get a patch up.

It isn't because of the DLC update itself, but I know what's causing it (.paa moved apparently, no idea when/how that happened/why I hadn't had it flag an error for me). Safe to say I've fixed it. When the minimis roll out I'll get a patch up.

Good to hear you have resolved the issue, if i may ask could you say how you fixed it? As im working on a weapon pack myself with some specific weapons for my Nogovan's.

{
	class LinkedItems 
	{
		class LinkedItemsOptic {
			item = "optic_Hamr";
			slot = "CowsSlot";
		};
		class LinkedItemsAcc {
			item = "acc_pointer_IR";
			slot = "PointerSlot";
		};
	};
};

In this case correct slots would be "asdg_OpticRail_G3ka4" and "asdg_FrontSideRail_G3ka4" (not CowsSlot and PointerSlot).

Toadie - any chance of doing an australian army camo for the styers? the green stock with tan barrel...

Toadie - any chance of doing an australian army camo for the styers? the green stock with tan barrel...

F88 is not standard AUG,many differences.And I think ADFUncut have some F88s.

In this case correct slots would be "asdg_OpticRail_G3ka4" and "asdg_FrontSideRail_G3ka4" (not CowsSlot and PointerSlot).

Thanks for the information, in my tests it worked anyway. But i will adapt it so that asdg can still be used.

Dunno if it has been reported already:

The HLC MP5 pack crashes our MP sessions on the server ever since the 1.44 update. When everyone has chosen their slots and we load the mission in everyone gets thrown back to the mission selection screen or times out during loading. If we avoid picking slots which are equipped with said MP5s the same mission loads in fine. Our modset and mission template hasn't changed in a while so I assume this is directly related to the vanilla update of Tuesday / Wednesday.

Hope this helps.

The HLC MP5 pack crashes our MP sessions on the server ever since the 1.44 update. When everyone has chosen their slots and we load the mission in everyone gets thrown back to the mission selection screen or times out during loading. If we avoid picking slots which are equipped with said MP5s the same mission loads in fine. Our modset and mission template hasn't changed in a while so I assume this is directly related to the vanilla update of Tuesday / Wednesday.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the report. I've found that the MP5 9mmAR throws out an error and will let Toadie know. If you use -noLogs startup parameter on the server and client side it should keep you from being unable to connect. Is the MP5 9mmAR the version the slots had?

http://t.co/CZHusrBOmX Hey that is great.

The crouch reload in 3rd Person is ok, It may be a bit flapy bird... flexi-arms. Looking forward to this.

Yeah, I brought the crouched one in game reasonably rough, just so I could get a feel if it was going to work or not.

Hope this helps.

Is it JUST the MP5 pack doing this?

I suspect that it's more the recent 1.44 update that did it than anything I've done, but nonetheless I'm looking into it. Any additional info you could provide would be helpful here. If your server runs Battleye, make sure the players are also running the arma3battleye exe instead of the plain arma3 one.

Is it JUST the MP5 pack doing this?

I suspect that it's more the recent 1.44 update that did it than anything I've done, but nonetheless I'm looking into it. Any additional info you could provide would be helpful here. If your server runs Battleye, make sure the players are also running the arma3battleye exe instead of the plain arma3 one.

Glad the report helped. Here's a little bit more info:

We all ran the Battleye exe as we use Arma3Sync and the parameters needed to be set by each member in order to connect to the server (server also runs Battleye). So far I can't tell you if other packs of your excellent weapon collection cause this too because we only used our BluFor mission template since the vanilla update - with BluFor we only use the MP5s (for helo pilot loadouts), I'll test our OpFor mission asap which uses your AK pack. I fully agree that the issue must lie somewhere with an incompatibility between the latest 1.44 update and HLC. The same mission templates and mod repo ran fine on our servers right before the main game received an update.

MP5 used for our helo pilots: "hlc_smg_mp5a4"

EDIT: AK pack runs fine. Maybe the problem lies with the weapon classification system? As far as I remember the HLC MP5s were classified as rifles instead of SMGs, could this have an impact with changes introduced by v1.44?

Thanks for the report. I've found that the MP5 9mmAR throws out an error and will let Toadie know. If you use -noLogs startup parameter on the server and client side it should keep you from being unable to connect. Is the MP5 9mmAR the version the slots had?

Thanks aronh17, I'll set no-logs on our server and try again.

Edited by JamesClarke

Replicates reality (two stage trigger), as discussed by toadie quite a while back in this thread.

Click once for semi, click and hold for automatic.

Obviously, there are no variants with a single shot lockout stud (such as the F88).

Replicates reality (two stage trigger), as discussed by toadie quite a while back in this thread.

Click once for semi, click and hold for automatic.

Obviously, there are no variants with a single shot lockout stud (such as the F88).

...YET.

Anyway, just One-man-armied the last of the texture work today.

http://imgur.com/a/SREus

And yesterday I got the animation in game

Tomorrow a staged RC for patreon backers, and hopefully with all the bugs squashed by midweek, everybody else gets super happy fun times with the definitive LMG.

Everything looks fantastic on the animations except using the left hand on the charging handle. We manipulate the charging handle with the right hand, underhanded grip to charge it. The left reaching over the top wouldn't allow the user to rack it back fully (maybe the bigger guys) and it would get in the way of optics mounted on the rifle. The right hand to charge was better because it allowed more strength to rack the bolt back (straight lines are strong) and keeps the hand away from the trigger ( the weapon system is generally safed after locking the bolt to the rear to prevent slam fires which is inherent in an open bolt design).

Hope it helps, and I look forward to ripping it up in A3 with these beasts!

Everything looks fantastic on the animations except using the left hand on the charging handle. We manipulate the charging handle with the right hand, underhanded grip to charge it. The left reaching over the top wouldn't allow the user to rack it back fully (maybe the bigger guys) and it would get in the way of optics mounted on the rifle. The right hand to charge was better because it allowed more strength to rack the bolt back (straight lines are strong) and keeps the hand away from the trigger ( the weapon system is generally safed after locking the bolt to the rear to prevent slam fires which is inherent in an open bolt design).

Hope it helps, and I look forward to ripping it up in A3 with these beasts!

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

Yeah, reaching over the top with the non-master hand really isn't an option unless you've got monster forearms. Offtopic, I find working the Minimi enjoyable as a left hander as I can leave my master hand on the pistol grip and grab the cocking handle with my right.

Yeah, reaching over the top with the non-master hand really isn't an option unless you've got monster forearms. Offtopic, I find working the Minimi enjoyable as a left hander as I can leave my master hand on the pistol grip and grab the cocking handle with my right.

You're not wrong, the US army does drill it that way, but I've had a few people tell me that other forces do to the over-top offhand charging. I think the trick for doing it that way is angling the gun down and using the mass+gravity of the gun to reduce the amount of user force to start the bolt ont it's way back. There was a video of a guy doing a press shoot demnstrating it perfectly, but for the life of me I can't find it again. Next best thing was this (showing that it's possible to do it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeNxuEOvto