Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

[WIP] Challenger 2 MBT UK

Wow! Looking really nice dude! I wish i could model like this... would do all russian vehicles right away. I wish you biggest luck with this project dude!

The only way to learn is to try and work on it.

*prod* I hope you're keeping this alive mate. Unfortunately we don't have a SVN equivalent for Arma modders so it's impossible to tell if something is being worked on or not :)

Whoa, tremendous progress from the first screenshot to the last and in such a short period.

I am very excited for this one. Could get a proper British mod really soon.

Really sorry for the absence guys, been back at college a few months, really looking forward to completing this mod, I've recently brought a new computer to help with the performance and reliability of the software I'm using, so hopefully I will have an update soon for you.

Yes yes yes.... So glad this isn't dead.. Yoshi us Brit's need some proper armour !!

:)

SJ

Really sorry for the absence guys, been back at college a few months, really looking forward to completing this mod, I've recently brought a new computer to help with the performance and reliability of the software I'm using, so hopefully I will have an update soon for you.

Nice! Sweet! thanksful your return!

Edited by kgino1045

I pray for a tank with interactive cockpit. That would be amazing and fun.

IMO that wouldnt, it would put a lot of members of the community off balance and require them to learn something that the devs probably skipped for how complicated, i say no to interactive vehicles

IMO that wouldnt, it would put a lot of members of the community off balance and require them to learn something that the devs probably skipped for how complicated, i say no to interactive vehicles

All you have to do is have 2 versions one with and one without it..

Being a Track head I would love a more complex piece of armour... Especially the level of teamwork it would generate. Would make rolling across the landscape more challenging and indeed rewarding... Doesn't need to uber complex. Just getting rid of the action menu would be a huge leap forward... Anyone remember M1 Tank Platoon ? I played that to DEATH on the Amiga... Loved it.

SJ

Thanks for the support guys, nightmare, there will be a more armored version but that will come later. And before going back to college the issue with the model being to big is no longer an issue as long as i can slim her down nicely, i found out the cannon was my main issue, i had modelled it with a lot of detail but some where along the line must have copied it several times and joined them as one model, hence the really high count, the model now sits at around 35k, but hopefully with some more work i can get her in game.

Thanks for the support guys, nightmare, there will be a more armored version but that will come later. And before going back to college the issue with the model being to big is no longer an issue as long as i can slim her down nicely, i found out the cannon was my main issue, i had modelled it with a lot of detail but some where along the line must have copied it several times and joined them as one model, hence the really high count, the model now sits at around 35k, but hopefully with some more work i can get her in game.

Awesome. Also check your PMs.

Good work.I was curious about poly limit and I dig this one out link

Simple rule to live by: "The more you add the more you lag."And limit for arma 3 is 35 K.

Will try to upload as she is, what tools do I need to have?

I'm pleased to announce that the Challenger 2 is making good progress, I have tracks, I have wheels, I have cannon, I have detail.... Now she needs a working texture but for those of you who have stuck with me so far here she is in full as she stands right now, what do you guys think??

m3d46ov41cmg3j7fg.jpg

I now hope that we can texture her in the way you see in the pic below

pbq89gko0kd9aydfg.jpg

I'm pleased to announce that the Challenger 2 is making good progress, I have tracks, I have wheels, I have cannon, I have detail.... Now she needs a working texture but for those of you who have stuck with me so far here she is in full as she stands right now, what do you guys think??

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/22ef/m3d46ov41cmg3j7fg.jpg

I now hope that we can texture her in the way you see in the pic below

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ad30/pbq89gko0kd9aydfg.jpg

Looks brilliant mate, these will be a fine addition to the brit kit for arma 3

Looking good although there is quite a lot there that could be normal mapped instead of polies.

Normal maps are generally best used for small surface detail that would otherwise be difficult to see from a 3D perspective (width and all that), small plates, the lines along the top off the mud guards and that small triangle on the side.

For example, these are low detail meshes with the normal map taking care of most details.

http://nizuvault.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/spkr.png

http://nizuvault.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/scifi-vent.png

http://www.abload.de/img/firehydrant_002tpr71.png

http://michaeldeforge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/normal_map_creation.jpg

An effective normal map can carry a LOT of the smaller details for you, keeping that 3D look and possibly even a bit more since the objects would have more depth to them, and since you are using blender I can link to tutorials that would teach you how to bake normal maps to achieve these looks.

Otherwise it's coming along nicely and the tracks will have the same look once you're finished :)

Edited by NodUnit

The problem with normal maps is that I would need to do a low poly model and bake the normals on to that, I don't have time to redo a lower poly model, I have college, and that takes most of my time up. Thats why it's taken time to get this far, I'm sort of thinking of just testing her out and seeing what happens before I go ahead with anything along those lines, but thank you for the info. I do need to learn it anyway It's just college fills my brain as it is.

Ok guys yet another update for you, god I must love you guys so much to post two updates, Anyway... before I propose lol. I've taken some time to model and then remodel the Gun and the Wheels, I'm happy with how they've turned out and they're lighter than the ones I did earlier.

Here are the four views of her.

av48bcd5ep1hk43fg.jpg

2gradudcahdbyclfg.jpg

rwlodfspxo110ccfg.jpg

xd1mtaxxlm2u1wrfg.jpg

Hope you guys like it

Edited by Yoshi